Food you can cook

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE (Gustav1976 @ Jan 26 2009, 12:28 PM) awesome, thanks Carlita I'll give it a go next time I do some shopping, how many servings does that make? I'm thinking of actually cooking for my parents next time I visit them (they'll be surprised if I can cook anything I think).
Here is the traditional hungarian recipe for gulash:

1. beef
2. onion (as much onion as meat)
3. salt, pepper, pepper powder (sweet) and caraway
4. oil

Cooking instructions: Cut the onion and fry, add beef cut in cubes, fry untin golden.... add water and condiments. Cover the pot and cook it at a low flame for at least 2 hours. The gulash is done, when onions have completely dissolved and the meat is very bland.

PS: the more onion, the better the taste. Thats why the 50:50 ratio

Yeah when I read Carlita's recipe for goulash I was thinking.. hmmm I've never had goulash like that. warita you wrote it down pretty well, except hungarians also add potatoes and carrots... actually there are many different versions but that's a good basic recipe. I like it better if it has vegetables in it as well. You made it sound really easy so I think I might try it.. Carlita's recipe as well
smile.gif

Herb Encrusted Chicken

1. chicken (2lb)
2. 2tbsp each of salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary and whatever 'special' spice (i used Old Bay. you can use sage if you've got it)
3. 3tbsp of lemon juice
4. some olive oil, sesame oil, chili oil or whatever 'special oil' (total, probably 1 tbsp)

Good for 4 if you're serving it with something else.

Mix spice mixture and oils in a bowl. Coat chicken. Place chicken on roasting rack with a roasting pan underneath with some water in it. Put in oven for 15 minutes at 450F and then switch to 350F for 40-50 minutes or until no longer pink inside.

I'm a big fan of easy recipes like this one.
smile.gif

Hi guys

I have decided to make my own sushi. My father likes it very much and I would like to make some for his b-day. I dont think it will be/look as good as from a suhsi restaurant, but I thought he might appreciate the effort. I already bought a suhi making set and.... well, I was wondering if any of you know how to make sushi. I know there are thousands of recipes out there, but I would appreciate a recommendation and some personal advice on how to make sushi a success.
What are your favourite fillings, what should I look out for when buying fish and that kind of things. Hope to find somebody, who can share his experience with me.
smile.gif

I'm not an expert on sushi, but the best I can suggest is just add the seasoning by taste. It's all really about the seasoning in the rice. I'm sure there'll be people here who're able to help you more than I can. If anything, just google a recipe and try it, see if it's any good
wink.gif

-------------------------------
The only serious dish I can make is a Ukrainian borsh, but the only time I was making it I had my parents on the phone telling me the process. It basically comes down to sauteing veggies and then adding them to the broth ^__^

I love to cook, I'm still learning about cooking theory, but so far so good.

So far I can still only make generally simple dishes. I like to experiment a lot, though, I have a good knowledge of the effects of spices/seasonings on certain dishes. I suppose with the right instruction I can really make anything.

I enjoy baking, too. I love to make desserts!

Looks like nobody knows how to prepare sushi.
sad.gif

Well, nevermind, I decided to put one of my favourite non meat recipe, for those, who like to try out new things.

Here is my go at a potato gratin:

1) Cut potatos in slices and arrange them into a baking dish form.

Now for the cheese sauce:

2) cut a small onion very fine, fry it with some olive oil.
Meanwhile take a red pepper and cut it in tiny cubes (I usually need one half of a medium size pepper), add to the onion, as well as some fine cut parsley. Add salt and pepper.
4) When fried, add milk, a table spoonfull of sourcream (or two) and some pizza cheeze, allow the cheese to melt and then pour it over the potatos.
5) put the gratin into a preheated oven and bake it until the potatos become soft and the cheese starts to turn golden.

This recipe is suprsisingly delicious. Have a nice cooking.
smile.gif

I love to cook! I mainly cook mexican food, and gooooood mexican food at that. I'm talking Carne Con Chile, Mole, Bola's con salsa, polo con chile, mexican enchiladas. the works. I'm actually going to be opening a restaurant in two years, i'm still saving up money right now.

And you know what the funny thing is...

I can cook better mexican food than most mexicans, and I'm white.

But i learned from a mexican so oh well. hehe

dont get me wrong, i love me some mexicans especially mexican men, they are sexy. mmm hmmm.

i also know how to cook some chinese/japanese cuisine, and also italian. and deserts, like baking pies and cookies and the sort. i have tons of recipes.
smile.gif
yay

i only cook scramble eggs cant do anything else i am bad cook

I don't really enjoy cooking, but I can cook anything that I can find directions to. Things that people find difficult or that supposedly require finesse, like the perfect crepes, or eggs any way you want them, I usually can do just right on my first try. So far I have yet to fail at cooking something, though often my meals are uninspired.

I would much rather BBQ, which I also seem to have a knack for. Steaks, burgers, brats, veggies, fish, you name it I can grill it to taste. And it's gotta be coals, no natural gas grilling for me.

It's too bad I didn't inherit my father's love for cooking, as it is, I rarely spend the time to cook something extravagant, cause it's too much of a bother
wink.gif

QUOTE (~Cheza~[R.M] @ Sep 15 2009, 01:01 PM) i also know how to cook some chinese/japanese cuisine, and also italian. and deserts, like baking pies and cookies and the sort. i have tons of recipes.
smile.gif
yay
@Cheza, do youu know how to prepare gyoza??? I need a good recipe pretty urgently.
smile.gif

“Instant” Noodles
(The quotes are because they’re not really instant.)

Ingredients
1 packet ‘instant noodles’
250ml water
2 tblspns of small veg. e.g peas or sweetcorn
1/3 tin baked beans (or tomato purée if snob)
seasoning (eg. salt and pepper)
Nice bowl such as used for eating rice (or noodles)

Method
1. Open packet of noodles and sweep up the small bits of noodle that that go all over the place.
2. Break slab of noodle into chunks and put in bowl.
3. Try to open little foil seasoning packet. Seasoning flies everywhere when packet suddenly bursts open after a struggle. Sweep up seasoning and add to noodles (or use salt and pepper if seasoning is too unclean)
4. Add bits of small veg.
5. Boil water.
5. Pour water over noodles.
6. Put bowl in microwave and cover.
7. Microwave for 1.5 minutes.
8. Stir.
9. Repeat steps 7 & 8.
10. Stir in cold baked beans. This brings the boiling mixture down to an edible temperature whilst enriching flavour.
11. Adopt persona of your favourite anime character and imagine you are about to eat legendary RAMEN.
12. Ittadakimasu!

Recycle bread :

Weird name right but that what I manage to get when desperate because I can't go out to buy some food for babysitting my sis.

Ingredient :

Bread, in my case one day expired 5 slices of white sandwich
Milk, half of cup is enough
Margarine or butter
Two eggs, more if you got more bread
A bit salt

Method :

1. Shred the bread to smaller piece, smaller the better.
2. Mix the shred bread with milk and butter or margarine. Also put a bit salt.
3. Add eggs and keep mixing until it become dough.
4. Shape as you like, in my case I make it look like pancake.
5. Heat your oven for 150 Celsius about few minutes.
6. Put some margarine or butter at top of heat plate and some on the top of dough.
7. Put the dough in the oven, it may take about a hour.
8. It usually ready when dough turn to yellowish color.
9. Serve when cool a bit. Can be eat with anything.

Warning, the result may vary. So do experiment yourself.

OMG.....I feel like such a freaking idiot...for some reason I read "Food on your cock" -Might be offensive- I was freaking out...

With that said.... I can cook a bunch of stuff. My mom moved back to Panama when I was 16. So I live with my uncle who is a doctor and works 12 hours a day. Sooo I was alone most of the time. I had to learn how to cook, since it was either that or starving.

I know how to make a lot of stuff, I also worked as a chef in a restaurant called Cancun Grill, so I know how to make gourmet Mexican food.

I eat this all the time up at college. It's cheap (about 50 cents a meal), easy to make, and *relatively* low in MSG!
biggrin.gif
Basically, it's a good way to get your protein in on the cheap-cheap.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fried Ramen

Cook Time: ~5 minutes
Makes 1 serving

Ingredients:
1 packet ramen noodles
1 egg
olive oil (or one of the "lesser" oils
wink.gif
)
(optional)
1 tomato
grated/parmesan cheese
miscellaneous spices
miscellaneous veggies/meat

Directions:
1. First, open the ramen, and THROW OUT the flavor packet! If you'd like, you can also tear it to pieces and tell it that it's a failure at life. *Note, here is where we reduce the MSG levels.
tongue.gif

2. Boil some water. Boil the noodles like usual.

3. While the noodles are cooking, heat up some olive oil on your frying pan over medium heat.

4. Once the noddles are cooked (however well you like it), drain the water and immediately put it in the frying pan. Form the noodles into a perfect circle (imperfect circles are also acceptable
wink.gif

5. Now you can add whatever optional stuff you want to add. I usually like to dice a tomato, put it on top with some pepper/garlic, but you can add whatever spice/meat/cheese you like.

6. Now, crack your egg, and spread it evenly over the top. Make sure it covers any cheeses (so as not to burn it).

7. Wait until the bottom of the noodles is browned to your liking (I like it BARELY browned), and the noodles stick together.

8. Now comes the critical part; life itself hangs in the balance. Make sure the noodles on the bottom are a little browned and don't fall apart, and then flip the whole thing over. *if your roommate ever fails at this step, you are entitled to point and laugh at said roommate.
wink.gif

9. Now you just cook it until the egg is fully cooked. Careful, since sometimes it can seep pretty deep into the noodles if you took your time with the last few steps. You can add some more spices/cheese to this side if you like. Once it's done, flip it to whatever side looks the best and chow down!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's pretty versatile. If you want it for breakfast, add some cheddar, and maybe some ham/bacon if you're into that kind of thing. (I've never actually tried it with meat, but I'm sure it would taste fine)

If you want the fanciest 50-cent meal you can manage, add a diced roma tomato with some garlic, and sprinkle some (low-grade
tongue.gif
) parmesan on top.

You can also add some red pepper / tabasco if you want a spicy version, that tastes good too!

It's what I like to call, "The Ultimate College Student Meal".

wow, groceries must be like real cheap in the USA. The ramen package itself would already cost 50-80 cent (euro cents) over here. Add the tomato and cheese and you are well above one euro. Eggs are sold at 2,5-3 euros per 10 pieces, that makes another 25 cents. Considering that euro is more expensive than dollar (1 euro= 1,4$) that would be a rather expensive student food.
smile.gif

Egg fried noodles, huh? I thought that usually went better with rice
wink.gif

Still, a word of advice: buy a pack of actual noodles rather than instant crap; it's not going to come more expensive in the end if at all, and definitely tastes better.

I occasionally make the same type of dish, basically fry your noodles with any leftover meat or veggies you have while dumping some stir-fry sauce and garlic chili sauce on them
smile.gif

I think the cheapest, easiest and most effective "student meal" is fried potatoes with onions. Peel a potato, cut it up in strips, then cut up half an onion into small pieces. Start frying the potatoes in a little bit of oil (don't forget the salt), then add the onions and stir-fry the whole thing until the onions are brown. Serve with sour cream if you like
wink.gif
There you go - a fast, cheap and natural snack without any additives whatsoever!

QUOTE Recycle bread

I can think of another good way to use old stale bread (works best for white breads though). Make beef cutlets:

You'll need:

Bread, milk, ground beef, onions, flour, salt, pepper, oil.

Suggested proportions:
for 0.5kg (~1 lb) of ground beed
1-2 onions
3-4 slices of bread

Soak the bread in milk until soft. Finely cut up the onions. Then mix the bread and the onions in with ground beef, until you get sth homogeneous. Add salt and pepper by taste (you know, taste the mix to see if it's salty). Out of the mix, make cutlets, then dip both sides in flour. Fry in oil until cooked.

Variations: you can also add garlic (about 2 cloves, finely grated). You can use chicken or pork instead of beef, or a mix of beef and pork. Chicken cutlets usually don't use bread though. You can also add finely cut parsley and/or green onions. Best served with a side-dish of mashed potatoes or boiled buckwheat groats.

Enjoy
wink.gif

PS Damn, I feel hungry now ;(

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back