Food you can cook

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Two of my favourites would have to be Plain Scones and Pavlova. Scones were one of the first things
that I learned to cook and I was soon made the families official scone maker as my scones have
always turned out.

Plain Scones

Ingredients:
2 cups self-raising flour
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 egg

Method:
1.) Add salt to flour and sift.
2.) Rub butter into flour (use your fingertips).
3.) Pour all milk into a well in the centre and mix with a knife until a moist dough is formed
4.) Knead. [The recipe says to knead lightly but I knead it quite firmly and thoroughly.
[Note: My cooking teacher at school took marks off me for doing this and told me that my scones
would be rock-hard; however, this is the way I've done it since I was a little kid and they
have always turned out well.]
5.) Roll out the dough until it is about 2.5cm thick and use a floured glass to cut out the scones.
6.) Place the scones on a floured tray and brush them with beaten egg yoke mixed with milk.
7.) Bake in a hot (250°celsius) for 15 minutes (keep an eye on them so that they don't burn).
8.) I think that they're best served warm with butter, strawberry jam and cream.

Pavlova

Ingredients:
4 large egg whites
1 cup caster sugar
2 teaspoons cornflour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon vinegar

Method:
1.) Beat egg whites until they are very stiff.
2.) Beat vigorously while very gradually adding the sugar.
3.) Fold in cornflour with the last of the sugar and mix lightly.
4.) Use cold water to moisten a Pavlova plate and spread the mixture so that it forms a shell.
5.) Place in an oben that has been pre-heated to 200°celsius then set at 125°celsius and bake
undisturbed for about 1 1/2 hours.
6.) After it's cooked, turn off the oven and allow the Pavlova to cool in the oven with the door ajar.
7.) When it has cooled down you can fill the Pavlova shell with whipped cream and arrange strawberries, kiwi fruit, passionfruit and pineapple on top.

Heehee, I skimmed a few pages -- there are a lot of people who live offa instant noodles XD
I actually really like cooking. I just hate cleaning, so I often live off of instant noodles when it's just me around during the week, too. But I've lived on my own for a couple summers, so I know a couple relatively quick meals. In general, the rice-cooker and stir-fry are your friends
biggrin.gif

Generic veggie dish:
  • Mince garlic into hot oil on pan
    Add leafy greens (I usually prefer napa or romaine)
    Add soy sauce, salt, and sugar to taste, and maybe some dried chilies, if that's your preference
    Dun overcook
3-cup chicken:
  • Cut chicken thighs into bite sized pieces
    Cook in pan with equal ratios of soy sauce, sugar, and cooking wine
    Optional: basil and/or sesame oil
Korean beef:
  • Cut thin strips of beef; tenderize
    Marinate in bulgogi sauce
    Cook in pan until not pink -- beef gets tough if it's overcooked, so be careful if the tenderization was not very thorough
I wait to make more time-consuming dishes, e.g. curry, over the weekend, and make big amounts of it so I can eat lotsa leftovers during the week when I'm busy. All the stuff above is less than 30 min, if you're efficient
happy.gif

I can mainly bake and do Chinese cooking like dim sum -- egg tarts, steamed buns, glutinous rice balls, and also sushi which is pretty much simple since it is just sticky rice and fillings wrapped in seaweed.

as follows for
Are you crazy, that's a hot Omlet
Ingredients
3 large eggs (can be medium to jumbo depending on your hunger level)
1 tablespoon harbenaro (likely to misspell that word) sauce
1 teaspoon red chili pepper
1/4 cup shreaded taco cheese (can be limited if you're not a fan of cheese in/on your eggs.)

First open your eggs into a small mixing bowl and add your hot sauce. The sauce will help to break up the eggs so to provide surprisingly fluffy eggs. mix thourghly. (also another word I can't spell)

next, add the pepper and cheese and coat them well into the egg mix

now cook your omlet on a flat griddle or skillet of your choosing. I'm a fan of the griddle since my fast food days. the flame should be a healthy medium. Cooking time will be about 3 to 4 minutes depending on the tempature your fond of.

The eggs will be a gentle tan color when done.
This is a favorite of mine. But for those that don't have harbanero sauce on hand, you can use any hot sauce you have. Just remember, if you follow this recipie, the eggs will be hot, very VERY hot even if you cool them down.

Enjoy
wink.gif

I'm a big fan of easy-to-make, delicious, long-lasting food. So I like to make some nice-and-easy ham fried rice at college. You make a few cups of rice, fry up some ham, then some eggs, chop-em-up and pour them (and their luscious juices) into the rice, drench the stuff in soy-sauce, and voila! Food for 3 days!

*Note, best eaten with chopsticks so as to gain the favor of hot foreign-exchange students
tongue.gif

ooh, I made some awesome spaghetti-sauce, too. Just cooked up (way too much) ground beef, chopped up some onion, mushroom, and artichoke hearts, garlic, cooked it all up in (pre-made
tongue.gif
) spaghetti sauce, and it was... so... very...good!!!

Ooh! Ooh!!! Chinese-sundays!!! Cook up some rice, heat up some cream-of-chicken soup with a 2-1 ratio of chicken-sauce to water (mix in some poultry seasoning or celery salt), the get some grated cheese, chopped pineapple, cashews, a dash of chopped onion, mandarin oranges, deliciouis chopped chicken (cooked, of course), and whatever else you may or may not want, and flavor the rice however you want! Muy deliciamos!!!

Isn't food just awesome? And these all last for days, which is great for saving time during cram-exam times!

I'm very good at Baking - But I still need the recipe's in hand. I perfer /not/ to make mistakes. I'm a master at making Carrot Cake which makes my boyfriend drool, and my moms boyfriend loves it too! Lol. I can make cakes, biscuits, cookies, slices, etc. <3

I'm not very good at cooking normal meals. But I can cook macarooni and cheese. <3 Yummy.. and instant noodles. Hehhe.... I can't even really cook Vegetables - well i've never /tried/ I'm sure I can do it. Well,
tongue.gif
Just shove it in a pot, if it doesn't work out - ohwell. I'm sure my boyfriend would eat it anyway. Lmao!! XD

let me see....
I can cook up some Pad Thai, some sandwiches, also bake cakes, and barbecue occasionally, but I end up burning half it the product every time.
I also helped with cooking the turkey for my family this year, such a great experience.
But a recipe sheet on hand is never a bad thing. Mistakes happen whenever they happen.

I love sushi but i;d like to try authentic ramen no the add water boil in pot thing but i really love carribean food since im jamaican/haitan like i can make rice w/ honey... i tried to cook curry chicken but i gave up and asked my mom to do it...but i can grill rib and make beef stew (with moms help)
biggrin.gif

<3 I think i'll try and make some of the food people have posted recipe's for. This should be fun. <3 But I won't be doing it till thursday. Damn pay day is so far away =P

Well basically i can cook anything which unless i have the recipie anyway cooking is always simple just as long as you have the ingredients and the right cook wares. But i have to say that cooking western food instead of chinese food is my speciality western food like pasta or a full course meal (except for soups cause im still learning...) is no difficulty to me lol.
If anyone wants a easy to cook pasta recipie u can always pm me and i give u the recipie and methods to cook it...
Btw if u ever see anyone blowing up a pot of simple instant noodles where the noodles totally got cooked till toasted? Omg that person really needs serious cooking advice....

well my father is a cook but it seems like i havent "inherit" that skill. my mother never allowed me to use the kitchen because when i was a little kid and tried to help her. I dropped all the stuff on the floor each time
tongue.gif
i want to make a cake to Her birthday which is pretty soon and i dont know if a cake is hard to make for a beginner. but anyway back to the topic

After two weeks of hard training for 6 months ago i have master the way to make instant noodles! my next goal is about to crack an egg - which me good luck

(lol does this even count as "food you can cook" and yes all what you've just read is 100% true)

Just made a yummy pasta carbonara tonight. I got back from a week long trip and found that there wasn't much in the fridge to work with. Since it was good, I thought i'd share my recipe..

box of fettuccine (or spaghetti)
4 eggs
1/4c of whole milk
1/4c of butter
3/4c of Parmesan cheese
1/2 lb of hotdogs (normally you'd use bacon / ham / prosciutto)
1/2 lb of green/red/yellow peppers (1 pepper is the equivalent. i used the frozen stuff)
+ extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, pepper, rice vinegar, Old Bay seasoning and parsley

instructions (many of these steps can be completed simultaneously ... or in my brain, "processed in parallel"):
- bring butter to room temperature so it's all melted (a microwave can accelerate the process).
- mix eggs and milk together well.
- saute diced hot dogs in a bit of olive oil and add a little salt & old bay. put in diced peppers, and add a little vinegar & pepper.
- preheat serving dish to ~300F

--- the final steps ---

cook fettuccine according to instructions (preferably al dente). drain, but do not rinse. put fettuccine into the hot serving dish. add butter and toss. add eggs + milk and toss. add parmesan and toss. add a parsley and toss. top with diced hotdogs + peppers.

i left my pyrex serving dish on a burner set to low while i was tossing it to keep the temp high
smile.gif

i know how to cook toast, instant noodles, anything with instructions on the box lol. Box is the main key there. But I can also cook Spagehtti and Chili Cheese dip. As well as rice and eggs. ^^

I tried dafties recipe... with minor changes to the ammounts and ingrediences and if was damned good.
laugh.gif
suprisingly good in fact.

Maybe be one of these days I am gonna post some of my own recipes again. Mniam

QUOTE (warita200 @ Jan 26 2009, 11:32 AM) I tried dafties recipe... with minor changes to the ammounts and ingrediences and if was damned good.
laugh.gif
suprisingly good in fact.

Maybe be one of these days I am gonna post some of my own recipes again. Mniam
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Perhaps I'll post my french onion soup recipe next....
smile.gif

Don't suppose you know how to make a strudel or goulash do you daft?
Also if anybody knows how I'd like a reminder on how to make an old english bedtime drink called a "posset"(not sure of spelling), it's a combination of milk, egg and honey

Goulash:

1lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 can tomato soup
~1cup ketchup (I don't measure, I just squeeze a bunch into the pan from the bottle)
garlic powder to taste
salt and pepper
~2 tbsp mustard (also not measured lol)
couple splashes of Worcestershire sauce
~1/8 cup brown sugar (this is the secret ingredient, shhh)
Elbow macaroni

Directions:
Brown the beef and drain off fat, add the onion and cook until tender. Then add the other ingredients besides the noodles and simmer. Cook noodles and drain. Add noodles to sauce and let simmer for 10-15 mins (this is important!). Enjoy!

For timing it just right, I usually start the water for the noodles at the same time that I cook the onions. This way the noodles are done after about 10 minutes of simmering for the sauce.

**You can substitute some or all of the ketchup for barbecue sauce, or soy sauce for the worcestershire for a little different flavor too! Also these measurements are all approximate, so feel free to add more or less as you desire. I never measure anything, so it tastes a little different every time, but always delicious!

awesome, thanks Carlita I'll give it a go next time I do some shopping, how many servings does that make? I'm thinking of actually cooking for my parents next time I visit them (they'll be surprised if I can cook anything I think).

Well, I would say it's about 4 servings. I never seem to make the same amount, since I don't measure it, so sometimes it's more like 6 servings, lol.

Ooh! here's something I came up with last semester.

Pasta w/ sauteed tomatoes.

- Pasta, whatever kind and however much you want.
- Tomatoes, Diced. (enough to get a good spread over the pasta.
- Garlic, minced. (however much you like)
- Olive oil
- Green teabag (optional)
- Grated Parmesan (optional)

boil the pasta, and, if you want some extra-delicious goodness, throw in the tea bag/bags for a few minutes. While that's going, saute` the diced tomatoes and garlic with a touch of olive oil until the tomatoes reach their peek of sauteed goodness (aka, however you like the tomatoes). Then, just top the pasta with the tomato/garlic combo once it's all done cooking, and sprinkle (or drench) it all with the Parmesan.

It makes for a good, cheap 10-minute meal.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back