FLCL

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
¬_¬ i downloaded this....not having one single clue what it was, i watched it..... the whole way through analyzing..... thought yyyyyeaaahh, come back like half a year later when anime realease times for me were out for a few days and watched it again, and got SOME of the plot
blink.gif
hell yeah this show rocks even if you dont understand the plot, and some crazy woman with a guitar and a boy who repeatedly gets hit o_O what more can you want
tongue.gif
although as everyone says.... turn your head off or you might end up like ive been all my life, a head in betweeen on, off and WTF ¬_¬ (anime soundtracks rule, PERIOD this anime has brilliant tracks P.S melody of oblivion opening theme is teh R0X0Rz) in sying all that i give this anime 9 and when i finally figure out the plot ill give it 10
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (mugen023 @ Dec 10 2004, 02:40 PM)

man i must say this anime is similar to paranoia agent ... -.^
thats exactly what I thought. This anime reminds me of paranoia agent in the aspect of the atmosphere.

This is the weirdest, the most bizzare and random anime I have ever seen. It doesnt make any sence. I was kindo pondering if it is meant not to make any sence, or if it has some deeper meaning I fail to grasp. From the look of it, most of the characters in the anime have some personal problems and that robot sprouting issue could be a manifastation of the problems. But otherwise it makes no sense at all.
Some of the things in this anime make me freak out. Like that ex girlfriend of Naotas brother, kissing him and fabricating hickies on his neck.... WTF? She is 17 and he is 12...... By the way, I still dont get it, is she homeless or what?

There are so many questions I have about this anime. So hopefully nobody minds if I revive this thread. I would like to discuss some of the questions I have.

FLCL rocks
smile.gif
Its similar to eva in a way of understaing and at the same time its great EVA parody
tongue.gif
Haruko rlzzzzzzz, love that Kaworu-like girl
tongue.gif

fooly cooly fooly cooly fooly cooy. You fooly cooly, I fooly cooly

Fooly Cooly!.

I love that scene when they are at the dinner table and his dad goes on that fooly cooly rant.

Great short anime. I've watched it over 5 times

But who understands it? I must admit I dont. I kindo liked it, or better to say, I couldnt stop watching it, even though I wasnt sure what is so good about it.
smile.gif

Hello, anyone know what is identified the initial song to fourth series flcl? I have merged 6 last albums the Pillows, but has not found this canto. Beforehand thank you!

p.s.: Excuse me if something be written wrong, I russian and write this text with translator.

Did not that many people really like FLCL?

This is actually one of my favorite series of all time. It's random and hilarious, but it does get a bit deeper. And I just don't get tired of watching this series. I've seen it so many times from when it was aired on [adult swim] and multiple times after downloading it on my computer. I love the music in it. The Pillows are just an amazing band and I listen to them all the time now.

It can be a bit hard to understand and I still don't completely understand everything, but watching the japanese commentary from the director helped me immensely to understand more about it. It also gave me some information I thought was very funny. Like the reason for there being a robot Canti. The reason there is a robot is simply because the director wanted a robot in the anime. Initially it wasn't planned to have a robot, but the director just wanted to do an anime with a robot so they made Canti a robot. There are more of these types of things where the only real reason for something being there is based on the whims of the director. There is just so much good and entertaining info given in the commentary. I was also glad to hear that the character designer liked Ninamori the most, since she is my favorite character in the show. I don't really have any good reason for her to be my favorite. She just is. That's the reason why she is the only character to have a different outfit in every episode. So I claim Ninamori-chan
biggrin.gif

FLCL also has one of the best localizations I've seen. The English dub is done extremely well. They got Haruko's voice perfectly, which was what the Director was most worried about since they actually made the character of Haruko after already decided on the voice actor. So he wanted it to be perfect.

I'm actually watching FLCL as I type this at 4:30am.
tongue.gif
laugh.gif
And it's episode 3, the one with a lot of Ninamori
biggrin.gif
QUOTE (KEENT @ Nov 17 2006, 12:20 PM)Hello, anyone know what is identified the initial song to fourth series flcl? I have merged 6 last albums the Pillows, but has not found this canto. Beforehand thank you!

p.s.: Excuse me if something be written wrong, I russian and write this text with translator.
Well if you still don't know what song that is, it's Happy Bivouac.

I watched this series not long ago and it's pretty good and funny! I understood it but i had to replay it back in my mind coz' it doesn't really make sense and i'm sure that's excactly what the purpose of this series was to do. Confuse the viewers!

Was the series forcefully slated or something?
coz' 1/2 way through episode 5 they started to semi finish of the series

FLCL is a good anime. but if you like your mind in tact...i dont know if i would suggest it. heh.

its plot line is really messed up. and its hard to follow.
wacko.gif

but if you have the time to watch it through after the first time, you catch onto the storyline a little better and its pretty funny.

you should watch it if you have some spare time.
happy.gif

i recommend it too -- if you don't like messed up stories, hell, watch it for the amazing artwork and animation! the drawing style, animation, manga sequences.. FLCL is visually stunning.

and even though it was really confusing, i liked the story as well
smile.gif
at least the part that i understood, obviously
biggrin.gif

FLCL, I watched this anime when I was half-asleep, the real reason I downloaded it because it was simply because it was GAINAX who made this. I don't really get it but in a way I do.....someone mentioned there was a pretty much dead on idea of the story that was posted at Adult Swim 2 years ago and I wanna read it. Ah, yes it was like 4 in the morning and I really wanted to go to sleep but I forced myself to watch this. I got on some of the jokes and then sometimes I knew what the joke was on but I just couldn't make myself laugh at it.

I knew about why Canti was there, coz the director just wanted to have a robot in the anime and thats all.

Yeah, the story or the anime is pretty f*cked up...........I'm not sure if I would dare to watch this again but when I read all the posts here I might watch it again.

You all know that I'm a Super-Romance-*Freak*, I felt sad when Haurko(what was her real name again ??
blink.gif
) finally left Naota in search of the love who she wanted to have the power of Atmosk (I got kinda lost here). I can understand the iron, is what can destroy the inhabitants of the planet by "smoothing out the wrinkles of the world". I do get some of it but I feel so unsatisfied of not knowing most of it.
wink.gif

There's one pillow song I really like from the soundtrack and its called Babylon something.....it reminds me of Gorillaz's Monkey Racket song...which was uber awesome with no vocals.

B-san and the other members, lets talk about what you know as in plot-wise of this series, instead of saying whether to recommend it or not, which was the initial reason of this thread was whether to say it was worth it or not and I'm guessing Random has already seen it, as its already been over 2 years.
dry.gif

i've watched the entire anime like 3 or 4 times and still dont fully get it, it's deffinately the most off the wall anime i've ever seen, really wtf? they had to have made it while on crack or somethin... major bad trip.

I just recently watched it a few days ago and now I'm watching the director's commentary again. I'll comment a little later about the plot after I finish the last three episodes of commentary. I'll probably do that now and see if I can shed a bit of light on the awkward plot, even if I don't have it down 100%.

Well here's my attempt to describe the basic story of FLCL.

It starts with Haruko coming to earth. She is actually an alien from outer space who is looking for Atomsk. The original concept was that Haruko was a police officer and Atomsk was a pirate whom she had in custody, but they ended up becoming lovers of sorts. Due to some occurrence the two of them got separated and that is why she is looking for him. The bracelet that Haruko wears was originally planned to be handcuffs to kinda show this, but due to some circumstances they didn't really flesh this out and changed the handcuffs to the bracelets that Haruko and Atomsk have. It ends up looking more like Haruko is just searching for Atomsk's power for herself. Amarao is part of a secret branch of the government that deals with alien affairs, specifically alien immigration and keeps that under control. Haruko is currently on earth illegally, which is why they are trying to stop her.
While trying to find Atomsk, Haruko is led to Naota because of his NO portal. Some people have NO portals that in a way can replace the brain. They are like portals to other dimensions and you can grab different things out of it or things can come out of it. Not everyone has NO portals, or at least not everyone has good NO portals in their head. Naota just happened to have the right NO portal. In the beginning the first thing to come out of the NO portal is Canti, which you could say is kinda like a part of Atomsk or has some of his power. But Haruko attacks him and he breaks, which is why he turns green. He only has the powers of Atomsk when he is red and only when he eats Naota. I think it happens when he eats Naota because he has the NO portal that can reach Atomsk. So Haruko stays near Naota in hopes of being able to get to Atomsk. This leads to Naota developing feelings for Haruko.
Then we get to the group Medical Mechanica. Their goal is to iron out the wrinkles across everyone's minds. They want to make everyone the same and get rid of the unevenness. To do this it seems like they need the power of Atomsk. I think Haruko wants to use Naota and Medical Mechanica to draw out Atomsk and his complete power. She doesn't care at all what happens to this world as long as she gets what she wants in the end. Amarao and his group are also trying to stop this, which is why he warns Naota to stay away from Haruko. After Canti and Naota are fed to the terminal core and the hand starts to move again Naota is somehow able to get all the powers of Atomsk for himself, which ends up making Haruko very angry because that power is supposed to be hers. The two of them fight, but because Naota loves Haruko he stops and kisses her right before attacking. At this point Atomsk himself comes out of Naota's NO portal and he manages to escape to somewhere else. Haruko then leaves Naota and Earth to go follow Atomsk to wherever he went to.

And there you go. That's the basic plot line of FLCL as best as I could describe. Of course people are gonna have questions so feel free to ask me and if I can answer I surely will.

QUOTE There's one pillow song I really like from the soundtrack and its called Babylon something.....it reminds me of Gorillaz's Monkey Racket song...which was uber awesome with no vocals.
I've downloaded a bunch of The Pillows after watching FLCL. It's what I listen to the most on my anime playlist. All of their songs are just great in my opinion, whether they have vocals or not.

Little bit of fun info you probably don't know. Hideaki Anno (director of Evangelion) does the voice of Miyu Miyu, Naota's teacher, but during the credits Miyu's voice actor is just listed as "?".

B-san, thats a pretty good summed up explanation of what FLCL was about. You know me = romance *freak*.........I wanted to see more love between Naota and Haruko (what's her "real" name again ??) and wanted to see her change her mind.

Do you think there will *ever* be a sequel or a remake of FLCL ???
unsure.gif

The ending of FLCL is kinda like the ending to Orguss02 and to some extent Tsukihime, FSN...without the heroine dying.
rolleyes.gif

Hmmm, I don't think I will ever watch FLCL again but I don't know, one day I might just get bored and end up watching it again.

Haruko kinda looks like *My* Karen-chan of Code Geass...short red hair....more like short dark pink hair for Haruko.
wink.gif

As much as you wanted to see the love between Naota and Haruko (she gives her name as Haruhara Haruko, but Amarao later says her real name is Raharu) it was one-sided. Haruko didn't develop feelings for Naota. She just wanted Atomsk and Naota was a way to try and get what she wanted.

There won't be a sequel to FLCL and a remake would be kinda pointless. A lot of FLCL seemed to be playing around with random ideas and various drawing styles. There a bunch of different styles in just those 6 episodes so a remake I think would be kinda pointless. It's animation is part of what makes it unique.

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Mar 28 2007, 08:15 AM) As much as you wanted to see the love between Naota and Haruko (she gives her name as Haruhara Haruko, but Amarao later says her real name is Raharu) it was one-sided. Haruko didn't develop feelings for Naota. She just wanted Atomsk and Naota was a way to try and get what she wanted.

There won't be a sequel to FLCL and a remake would be kinda pointless. A lot of FLCL seemed to be playing around with random ideas and various drawing styles. There a bunch of different styles in just those 6 episodes so a remake I think would be kinda pointless. It's animation is part of what makes it unique.
Hmmm, yeah it was kinda one-sided up to a point but nearing the end it seemed like she was getting attached to Naota and remember that line she says to Naota just before she leaves, but then again, she might have said it to test how strong Naota's love was for her...........she's mean in a way but I can't find myself hating her. Ah, thinking about the ending is making me sad again...I don't know why I get sooo depressed when the lovers don't stick to each other like they have super-glue between each other and when they seperate, its painful to see.
sad.gif
dry.gif
dry.gif

I just finished watching this for the first time, AWESOME, I laughed so hard I almost cried, I loved the comedy and the few serious moments that built up the (oh so hard to understand) storyline.
There should be another season of this, they left enough unanswered and hanging to make another series,
Im happy I watched this,
Also on Wiki it says that in the manga She actually gets a bit attatched to him, not as selfish as in the anime.

QUOTE (tonifreyr @ May 23 2007, 08:01 PM) I just finished watching this for the first time, AWESOME, I laughed so hard I almost cried, I loved the comedy and the few serious moments that built up the (oh so hard to understand) storyline.
There should be another season of this, they left enough unanswered and hanging to make another series,
Im happy I watched this,
Also on Wiki it says that in the manga She actually gets a bit attatched to him, not as selfish as in the anime.
You are a bit late for the party comrade. Thats alright as I was too and went a long period of time knowing of FLCL's existence and awesomeness without actually having seen all of it.(too complicated to explain here)

Considering it was supposed to be much longer but Gainax blew all the budget on it 6 episodes is all we got. Since it was made in 02 if they were going to make more they would have done it by now. I have often wondered why they never made a second season but its probably for the best. I still daydream from time to time what cool galaxy spanning adventures Naota and Haruka could have had stopping Medical Mechanicha but it seems it was not meant to be.

Yes in the manga she does fall in love with Naota and even leaves him her Vespa.

Also is it just me or is Amuro really the good guy here? I mean everybody treats Haruka as the protagonist in the fight against MM but she really just had selfish reasons. Amuro while not totally unselfish was trying to stop MM from expanding their attempt at domination on Earth. Those wrinkles are how we think. I admit the man is an ass later in the series but in his first few appearences hes pretty cool.

Smokie, the years don't matter for GAINAX......just look at the time difference between the EVA series and EOE and the EVA Rebuild Movies Series.....about 10 years gap. So don't lose complete fate on a FLCL sequel but from my point of view......I doubt it will happen.
wink.gif

Damn!! I think I need to read the FLCL manga!! >.<
rolleyes.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back