Fate/Zero

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
I think it was because in the Nasuverse, Arthur was really a girl. So he's pretty much stating that Guinivere and Lancealot may have knew about that so-called secret. In any case it is believable if you go by that reasoning.

Anyways the whole moment between Kotomine and Kirisugu was pretty much boiled down to that very moment in which the two were a lot alike but different at the same time. It's only because Kirisugu wanted to have the fighting end, but the Grail took that idea in a very twisted manner. Pretty much he thought the Grail would give him a miracle but instead made him suffer even more if his wish was granted.

Anywas about the Saber v. Beserker fight pretty much even with the BluRay extention of that scene it wouldn't make much of a difference here. I mean it was a bit harsh for her to take up arms against her own knight.... again.
rolleyes.gif

After all that has happened these pics seem somehow disgraceful...sad and amusing.
victory.gif

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Jun 19 2012, 07:52 AM) To be honest I didnt get ep 24. The fight Saber vs. Lancelot was cut so much that is was the lousiest battle of all and we never got to see why Kiritsugu and Kirei came to fight each other. On top of that I didnt really get the whole grail thing except for the fact that for Kiritsugus wish to happen humanity must be annihilated (what is a 100% true and logical since humans cant live without violence and war). But what had all this to do with Ilya and Irie coming back? Why did Kiritsugu even obtain the grail when there are still two servants left and not only one?
Seems like I have to read the novels to understand it (what I will do when Im trough Sword Art Online).

@Norren: You said that
What secret do you mean?
DON'T READ UNLESS YOU KNOW BOTH FATE/STAY NIGHT AND FATE/ZERO (NOVEL) IN ITS ENTIRETY
Kirei is not dead obviously. In fact, the grail will revive him.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Jun 19 2012, 08:52 AM) @Norren: You said that
What secret do you mean?
What KidWolf said: Guinevere knew she was married to a girl, and kept the secret for her "husband's" sake.

I have a fleeting hope that they've relocated the explanation behind Lanzerker to this next episode. Saber has an eternity in an instant moment coming up that would make for a decent place to relocate it.

Something that bothered me that I couldn't put my finger on at first... Where's the fire? The Kirei and Kerry fight was supposed to have the backdrop of the entire building burning down.

QUOTE (Norren @ Jun 20 2012, 11:13 AM) What KidWolf said: Guinevere knew she was married to a girl, and kept the secret for her "husband's" sake.
To be honest I never even got the idea that it was a secret that Arthur was a girl. I thought it was wellknown since its not something you really could keep secret in my eyes, especially with her womanly voice and face. Its as if all of a sudden it comes out that Obama is really a woman or something like that.

Well you have to remeber those were the middle ages, where an girl can be mistaken for an efiminite boy you know. also, they did say he did look a bit girly in some of the workings of him. By that I mean having female characteristics of course.
tongue.gif

As for that scene that you have mentioned Norren-san, just blame Studio DEEN for trying to be creative for that actual flashback scene.
tongue.gif

Actually... we saw the fire in Saber vs Lanzerker because Lanzerker started it.

QUOTE Bakatsuki link and quote in spoilers, remove it if inappropriate, not sure if it crosses the line or not.
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=File:FZ_v04_00o.jpg

“— Your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life—“
The tongues of flame followed the walls up to the ceiling, turning into signposts showing the way to Hell in invitation to the two men.
They advanced silently, high-spiritedly, without hesitation, toward the place of the decisive battle.
Thus, they met one level below ground - the storage space for large props directly beneath the stage.

At the other end which roiled with black smoke, Emiya Kiritsugu saw the slender figure clothed in vestments.
At the other end which roiled with hot air, Kotomine Kirei saw the black overcoat of his mortal enemy.

The radiance of the Black Keys in his hand reflected the brightness of the barrel of the magecraft gun.
They both perceived the killing intent; they had long come to realize that blazing sensation.
So there was no further need for words for communication.
They finally looked directly upon each other with their own eyes; they came to the same conclusion at the same time.

To Emiya Kiritsugu, this war was—
To Kotomine Kirei, the entire battlefield of Fuyuki was—
Everything of everything existed for the sake of bringing down the enemy before them.
Within the raging flames, the blades were moving.

So much of this book is the narrator chewing the scenery.

QUOTE (daedalron @ Jun 03 2012, 05:10 AM)Aoi wasn't killed in the last episode. However, seeing her husband dead, as well as her childhood friend trying to kill her (and probably the aftereffects of the strangling too) completely broke her. She lost her sanity, so even though she survives the war, she is confined to a wheelchair, not understanding that Tokiomi is dead and Sakura is gone. (cf Type Moon wikia).
So, even though Rin is not technically an orphan, it's probably even harder for her, as she has to see the state her mother is in...
^^ I'm glad to finally see what you posted as spoiler a few weeks ago shown in the epilogue half of this last episode but it's a shame there wasn't the detailed Saber vs. Gil battle when the city is burning, at least were nice the continuation of Kariya's death while he dreams with his desired happy ending and Lancelot's dying words to a lamented Arturia who hopes to obtain the grail years later... even with all the rushed plot caused by Rin's adventure filler and two episodes about Kiritsugu's past still this is one of the best anime TV series from 2011 and the current year too, also one of my favorite adaptations from Type-Moon but I'll think better what final score to give it after I'm done watching it extended from the blurays so meanwhile I'll leave it between 9/10 and 10/10
smile.gif

Saber vs Gil battling amongst the fire was a DEENism. OR, maybe it'd be more accurate to say, it was just like the Tsukihime anime - it never happened? By the time Saber got to Gil, she was such a wreck seeing her carry out any kind of battle would've been impossible.

As I suspected they would do, they moved Saber and Lanzerker's parting words to the hill of suffering in the finale, changing that from a scene they cut to a scene they moved. This certainly has an impact on the scene itself, putting a context to Saber's suffering that doesn't require recalling the prior episode, allowing the full emotion of Saber's combat victory and emotional defeat against Lancelot to be felt all at once, rather than splitting up the farewell and regret to two separate scenes.

I think I'll review this one when the extended blurays are out, just devote a few days to marathoning both F/Z anime and books to sort out what I think about the pacing, changes and format. All in all, I really really liked it and rate it with top marks, but I'm finding myself juggling mixed thoughts on the pacing. On one hand I think UFOtable actually ported over the pacing errors from the books, as many of the odd and abrupt cuts happen in the source material as well. On another, I think they perceived they had run out of material and caused some mistakes of their own.

My favorite part of the series, tho? Waver's Coming of Age story. Emiya may have been the main character, but Waver felt like the real protagonist. He wanted his peers and superiors to respect him, he instead found the respect of a friend and learned to respect himself.

Well pretty much there wasn't much about what actually happened with there being a fight between Gil and Saber or not, but there was a possiblity since it was never mentioned in Fate/stay night at all.

Anyways with this wrapping up as it did I have to say that we finally got to see Kotomine giving the Azoth Dagger to Rin as was expected in this seires, and top it all off we get to see Shirou take presidence here by eventually claiming to take on Kirisugu's dream by becommming a hero in the end of all things.

Oh yeah on a side note I noticed that Tiger-chan managed to get a big of a cameo moment near the end with her swinging her Tora Shinai around like a cute little thing while everyone else was making repairs to the Emiya household.
tongue.gif

QUOTE (Norren @ Jun 23 2012, 09:44 PM) Saber vs Gil battling amongst the fire was a DEENism. OR, maybe it'd be more accurate to say, it was just like the Tsukihime anime - it never happened? By the time Saber got to Gil, she was such a wreck seeing her carry out any kind of battle would've been impossible.

As I suspected they would do, they moved Saber and Lanzerker's parting words to the hill of suffering in the finale, changing that from a scene they cut to a scene they moved. This certainly has an impact on the scene itself, putting a context to Saber's suffering that doesn't require recalling the prior episode, allowing the full emotion of Saber's combat victory and emotional defeat against Lancelot to be felt all at once, rather than splitting up the farewell and regret to two separate scenes.

I think I'll review this one when the extended blurays are out, just devote a few days to marathoning both F/Z anime and books to sort out what I think about the pacing, changes and format. All in all, I really really liked it and rate it with top marks, but I'm finding myself juggling mixed thoughts on the pacing. On one hand I think UFOtable actually ported over the pacing errors from the books, as many of the odd and abrupt cuts happen in the source material as well. On another, I think they perceived they had run out of material and caused some mistakes of their own.

My favorite part of the series, tho? Waver's Coming of Age story. Emiya may have been the main character, but Waver felt like the real protagonist. He wanted his peers and superiors to respect him, he instead found the respect of a friend and learned to respect himself.
If I'm not mistaken, Fate/Zero story is a prequel that's written along after the the Fate/Stay Night game and anime available...and in the original there's probably not detailed information regarding Saber vs Gil's fight, so may be DEEN saw it fitting to go by their own imagination/interpretation and show that fight between Saber and Gil in episode 1 of Fate/Stay Night to make some kind of dynamic entrance.

As for Waver felt like the real protagonist of the show...actually the Japanese viewers semi-joke about he is the "heroine" of the show
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Marine-RX179 @ Jun 24 2012, 12:46 AM) If I'm not mistaken, Fate/Zero story is a prequel that's written along after the the Fate/Stay Night game and anime available...and in the original there's probably not detailed information regarding Saber vs Gil's fight, so may be DEEN saw it fitting to go by their own imagination/interpretation and show that fight between Saber and Gil in episode 1 of Fate/Stay Night to make some kind of dynamic entrance.

As for Waver felt like the real protagonist of the show...actually the Japanese viewers semi-joke about he is the "heroine" of the show
biggrin.gif

Fate/Zero was released in 2006-2007. Fate/Stay Night visual novel was first released in 2004 and Fate/Hollow Ataraxia followed in 2005 if I remember correctly.

As for Waver...*insert Madoka Magica parody from nico here*

In regards to the Fate/Stay Night stuff about Gil's and Saber's fight in Fate/Zero: it was cut short and something similar from the Fate/Stay Night anime was suppose to happen. As for it happening in the beginning of Fate/Stay Night...I don't recall it actually detailed in the visual novel, including Kirei touching the grail in the 4th war. It was implied at the end of Fate route when Saber fights Gil but that's about it. All the special effects stuff is also overdone in the Fate/Stay Night anime. It's suppose to be like what was shown in Fate/Zero...though it kind of glossed over the fact that Kirei was suppose to be revived by the Grail despite hinting only via a magical connection between Gil and Kirei.

Anyways...my review:
Fate/Zero is based off the light novel written by Gen Urobuchi, the mastermind behind Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica and Phantom ~Requiem of the Phantom~. The story tells the tale of the Fourth Holy Grail War and set 10 years before the events of Fate/Stay Night, which received an anime adaptation in 2006 as well as a movie in 2010. A series that when announced for anime adaptation along with its staff lineup many had believe it would take over and reign as the best series of all time. While each season will receive individual scores at the end of the review, the overall review here will focus on the entire 25 episodes presented since Fall 2011.  WARNING: POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

As said before, Fate/Zero is the prequel series to Fate/Stay Night. With that said, the biggest questions before the anime began for this series were how faithful could the series stay to the source material and how much knowledge of Fate/Stay Night was needed and/or how much of Fate/Stay Night will be spoiled. To put it bluntly, the show does a great job introducing the premise and setup of the story. While dialogue heavy, the story is very much dialogue drive, especially during the initial parts of the series (i.e. season 1). Furthermore, while leaving out certain details, the series brought out the most crucial dialogues enough to explain the core basics of the premise. It’s a deep story overall even at the elementary level, and if you couldn’t understand it at this level, you probably should go play Fate/Stay Night so that they spoon feed it to you. The dialogue itself is also purposely convoluted, which is great for a dark and seinen show like this. Now on to the main problem with this show: season 1 was merely a setup with a ton of teaser fights and as a result only one servant is slain by the end of the first 13 episodes. As far as I’m concerned, they really could have done without the Rin episode, which I had feared would come back and haunt this series in season 2. To some extent it did as a lot more material was dropped in season 2 than season 1. I was really hoping they would have slain Assassin and Caster by the end of season 1. Speaking of Caster, he and his master lived far too long in terms of episode count to the extent they received the first two episodes of season 2 just to finish them. Obviously, this led to Lancer’s and ultimately the other four remaining servant’s fight to be cut down significantly. Lancer’s and Berserker’s fight were two of the biggest highlights in the novels and they both received the short end of the adaptation…or so I thought with Berserker until the finale when the series did the fight justice by inserting the extra scene with Saber reminiscing the fight after she lost the war. So if you had to ask in short did Fate/Zero succeed at its story telling? Absolutely yes. Did it do so perfectly? Unfortunately not. Pacing plagued the show from beginning to end and it’s unfortunate the staff didn’t realize until it was within the last three episodes of the series. Saber’s and Archer’s fight was cut short likely under the assumption that many people would know the results of Fate/Stay Night. Most importantly, Kiritsugu’s death as well as his magic deterioration, while implied, was not explicit enough, especially to those who have not seen/played Fate/Stay Night. It was one of the more tragic moments of the series and the staff I guess assumed people knew? Regardless, the story is put together solidly albeit a little rushed towards the end.

Art and animation in season 1 were gorgeous from beginning to end. At first many questioned whether ufotable would be able to maintain such quality as they have never done a full length TV series before. It turns out ufotable definitely proved many wrong with season 1 at least. Season 2 is when quality began to dip, which is unfortunate due to the heavy amounts of action in this season compared to season 1. Fluidity remained top notch but special effects felt a little cheap. Stunning nonetheless though. Character designs remained top notch as did backgrounds all around. All I can say is with 25 episodes of relatively solid quality in animation that rivals or even bests SHAFT’s and Kyoto Animation’s, we better hope ufotable starts doing more quality works like this instead of their usual OVAs. They may have very well set a new bar in the industry.

Music…should not even be questioned. With Yuki Kajiura on board as the primary composer, this series was basically set. LiSA and Aoi Eir sang the OP/ED theme for season 1 respectively while Kalafina and Luna Haruna sang the main OP/ED themes for season 2. While Memoria by Aoi Eir was certainly the weakest of the set, it was still a decent song. Oath Sign, to the beginning, Manten, and Sora wa Takaku Kaze wa Utau were all solid. Background music matched the Fate franchise themes perfectly even though Yuki Kajiura has never done it before and it brought back a lot of nostalgia from Kenji Kawai’s music composition of Fate/Stay Night in 2006. Sound effects were top notch for the most part and seiyuu cast was great all around to bring out the dark setting Fate/Zero took place in.

Enjoyment? It was a great ride from beginning to the end (or should I say to the beginning?). The 25 episodes produced for Fate/Zero, while not the best way they could be produced, still brought out the light of what anime light novel adaptations should be like. I’m no Type-Moon slave/fan despite having played and read most Type-Moon works but Fate/Zero is arguably one of the best titles around if not the best. It was something to look forward to every week even when the series occasionally decided to tread the slippery slope. It’s definitely a series I recommend everyone watching even with the heavy dialogue. It’s not as complicated or implicit as Bakemonogatari’s dialogue and it has enough action to generally compensate those craving for it.

Overall, Fate/Zero is NOT a one-hit wonder. It had flaws that prevent it from being absolutely perfect, most of which began in the first series. The second season did what it could to really rebound off that slip up (or so I think) and still managed to bring together the most important elements of the story. While there was some disconnect with what was produced in the Fate/Stay Night anime…I’m pretty sure no one cares in general since the anime adaptation of the game was absolutely terrible in comparison. However, Fate/Zero is definitely a show that will be missed for eternity. It was a series that captured a variety of elements that many anime series in the last decade had hoped to do yet failed (some miserably).

Season 1:
Preliminary Score: 9/10
Final Score: 9/10

Season 2:
Preliminary Score: 9/10
Final Score: 10/10

Overall: 9.5/10

The last ep was good again with them showing parts of what happens after the war.

Overall the second part of the show wasnt even near the level of the first part because it had a lot of disappointing events like Iries death, Riders death, the fight between Saber and Berserker and the whole grail thing in the end.

Still this show is defenitely a great one and far better than most stuff that comes out, the animation was great, it had interesting characters, a good story and most importantly, what most animes lack, great dialogues. Sadly thats what I missed in the second half of the show since it was more action oriented. Not that I dislike the action parts, but they were just not on the same level as the conversation parts which make them seem worthless.

I give this show a 9/10 even though it couldve been a 8/10 too. First season was a 10, so together it comes to araound a 9-9.5.

I just started watching this series but I kinda already know about the story, being a Type-Moon slave/fan and all.

I'm on Episode 6 of Season 1 and the series is just insanely amazing, that I am having a feeling that I should stop after episode 6 because the series is really putting a lot of pressure on my mind, this must sound really weird but I think I should probably watch something more light-hearted or different, I'm thinking Kokoro Connect or some other series to make me feel a little more relaxed.

So far the 1st season is a 10/10, I absolutely love it, maybe its because I want to cherish the series rather than marathon it....I don't know.
wink.gif

EDIT #1:

I guess I went back on my word, I'm on episode 09 right now.

I just finished Fate/Zero Season 1, I watched the Blu-Ray versions, which apparently has more scenes than the original airing and I'm glad I watched them. Apparently, the same thing applies to the Blu-Ray and DVD versions of season 2 too, so I think I'm gonna wait for those releases, the RAWs have come out, its just a matter of when the subbed ones get released.

The first season of Fate/Zero was exciting and thrilling. I thoroughly enjoyed all the character development, the madness and the foreshadowing to FSN.

It was so good but it was such an intense series with very few laughs that I need to watch more light-hearted series before going back to watch season 2. I won't wait too long for the BD releases, I'll wait a maximum of 3 weeks and if it doesn't happen, I'll just watch the TV versions.
wink.gif

I'm going to stick with my rating of 10/10 for the first season and I can only see the second season doing even better because of the brilliant build-up done by the first season.

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Dec 06 2012, 11:38 PM)I just finished Fate/Zero Season 1, I watched the Blu-Ray versions, which apparently has more scenes than the original airing and I'm glad I watched them. Apparently, the same thing applies to the Blu-Ray and DVD versions of season 2 too, so I think I'm gonna wait for those releases, the RAWs have come out, its just a matter of when the subbed ones get released.rejoice! ^^ at last the day has come and I'm glad I waited for UTW subs to watch all uncensored, extended BR episodes before my final score which was between 9 and 10/10 as posted above... just marathoned the whole series along with its 6 Einzbern Consultation Room specials, only F/Z stuff left to check later is hear Drama CDs while reading their translated scripts:

Fate/Zero (TV series episodes 1-13) fall 2011 - 9/10
F/Z Remix I-II (TV series S1 recap, 2 special eps.) winter to spring 2012 - 6/10
F/Z 2nd Season (TV series eps.14-25) spring 2012 - between 9/10 and 10/10
F/Z Onegai! Einzbern Consultation Room (short OVA ep.1-3) winter 2012 - 7/10
F/Z O!ECR Blu-Ray boxset II (short OVAs eps.4-6) summer 2012 - 8/10
F/Z BR boxsets I & II (unedit ep.1-25) winter & summer 2012
- 10/10

^ Didn't realize they actually censored the TV version... Not that violent an anime, pretty sad. Anyway, makes me even more glad that I waited for the BDs, although they sure took their sweet time releasing
laugh.gif
Ohwell, finally watched it as I called in sick from work in the last few days.

A very good story and beautiful execution, I'd say, except for the fact that the ending is necessarily limited by the existence of F/SN. Unfortunate, since this one seems to be much better-written in comparison, and with a cooler cast.

Anynway, fun was had. Though a bit of a shame there wasn't anything else quite as epic and climactic as the Caster fight in the end, one could say the culmination came a tad early.

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Feb 18 2013, 03:14 PM) ^ Didn't realize they actually censored the TV version... Not that violent an anime, pretty sad. Anyway, makes me even more glad that I waited for the BDs, although they sure took their sweet time releasing
laugh.gif
Ohwell, finally watched it as I called in sick from work in the last few days.
I just recently started to rewatch this but with the BD extended version. As for the censoring for the TV version, it was mainly the part which Rider and Waver foound the corpse of the murdered children at Caster's base (which was uncensored in BD version).

Fate/Zero Café, short film spin-off to open Kara no Kyokai 3D movie

Title: Fate/Zero Cafe
Japanese: Fate/ゼロカフェ 〜Fate/Zero Cafeに集う英霊達〜
Theatrical release date: 13/7/2013 (short animated film)
Genres: Comedy, Fantasy
Original creators: Type-Moon and Ufotable

F/Z Café staff: Saber / Arturia Pendragon (セイバー) voiced by Ayako Kawasumi
Lancer / Diarmuid Ua Duibhne "Diurmuid O'Dyna" (ランサー) voiced by Hikaru Midorikawa
Ryūnosuke Uryū (雨生龍之介) voiced by Akira Ishida
Waver Velvet (ウェイバー・ベルベット) voiced by Daisuke Namikawa
Assassin / Hassan-i-Sabah (アサシン) voiced by Akina Abe and Takuo Kawamura

Customers: Caster / Gilles de Rais "Bluebeard" (キャスター) voiced by Satoshi Tsuruoka
Rider / Iskandar "Alexander The Great" (ライダー) voiced by Akio Otsuka
Archer (アーチャー) / Gilgamesh (ギルガメッシュ) voiced by Tomokazu Seki
Kariya Matō (間桐雁夜) voiced by Tarusuke Shingaki
Kiritsugu Emiya (衛宮 切嗣) voiced by Rikiya Koyama

Irisviel von Einzbern (アイリスフィール・フォン・アインツベルン) voiced by Sayaka Ohara
Kayneth Archibald El-Melloi (ケイネス・エルメロイ・アーチボルト) voiced by Takumi Yamazaki
Sola-Ui Nuada-Re Sophia-Ri (ソラウ・ヌァザレ・ソフィアリ) voiced by Megumi Toyoguchi
Tokiomi Tohsaka (遠坂時臣) voiced by Show Hayami
Kirei Kotomine (言峰 綺礼) voiced by Jouji Nakata
Rin Tohsaka (遠坂 凛) voiced by Kana Ueda
Sakura Matō (間桐 桜) voiced by Noriko Shitaya
Illyasviel von Einzbern (イリヤスフィール・フォン・アインツベルン) voiced by Mai Kadowaki
Shirō Emiya (衛宮 士郎) voiced by Noriaki Sugiyama
Kerry (ケリィ) voiced by Miyu Irino
Shirley (シャーレイ) voiced by Ayahi Takagaki
Berserker / Lancelot of the Lake "Black Knight" (バーサーカー) voiced by Ryotaro Okiayu
Movie PV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTbMkbcc6v8
Official website: http://www.ufotable.com/f_zerocafe/

Synopsis: Short movie based from Ufotable's manga. The original Fate/zero Café four-panel manga re-imagines the cast of the Fate/zero light novel and anime as cute super-deformed characters who open a cafe, led by Saber as the manager.

Necropinion: i'm glad they decided to make a different chibified F/Z gag film this time instead of another stopmotion SD Nasuverse animation which served as a comic relief, for the gorish and psychological heavy content from previous 'Garden of Sinners' ^^ I can't wait to watch both (most likely until next year on BR/DVD)
sleep.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back