Eureka Seven AO

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE (mikekiki20 @ Aug 20 2012, 02:54 PM)Hi everyone! Pretty new to this so i'd like to ask a quick question about this series. From reading the synopsis, i'm guessing this anime is a bit like Evangelion? Im currently downloading the first 3 eps to try it out and would like to know because Evangelion pretty much confused the hell outta me. The allegory went waaaay over my head. thanks in advance

Hello Mikekiki20, i am not sure what you want with your question. For me it feels to be a lot like Evangelion. If you don't like too much psychological information or a background which goes into a lot of depth you may not like this series. This series as mentioned is going into timelines which feels confusing. Still it ain't a bad series to watch so if you want a bit of fun just watch it.

QUOTE (nijlandp @ Aug 20 2012, 11:33 AM)
Hello Mikekiki20, i am not sure what you want with your question. For me it feels to be a lot like Evangelion. If you don't like too much psychological information or a background which goes into a lot of depth you may not like this series. This series as mentioned is going into timelines which feels confusing. Still it ain't a bad series to watch so if you want a bit of fun just watch it.

Thanks for the info guys. Nijlandp, You mean you didint find Evangelion even a tad confusing? Speaking about story depth, it doesn't bother me at all if a story is deep & informative; its just that evangelion had alot of imagery and symbolism and that kinda required the viewer to be privy to information aside from the one provided by the anime. Don't get me wrong, i have no qualms about finding out stuff for yourself since the characters would spew a ton of it without so much as a reference I had to keep constantly keep pausing & consulting to get a grasp of what was going on. I even heard that the author inserted little easter eggs in some scenes so that die hard fans of he series would muse over them (i havent bothered to check to confirm this though). To sum it up, the series required some basic knowledge of occult texts (esp in the feature film where they alluded to Lilith & Adam) ,ancillary info about the old testament (longinus' lance & what have you). as well as some freudian (when refering to Shinji's subconscious motives) . Still the series was pretty ok, it just required alot of pausing, epecially towards the end with the mind trip scenes. Whoa, anyway i checked out the first five eps of Eureka AO & it seems that all it requires its that you've watched the first Eureka *phew*.

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Aug 20 2012, 11:27 AM)if you already watched and enjoyed the original series (or E7s movie which I didn't like much) then judge for yourself after trying some episodes, its animation and music are good but still I don't understand where the plot is going so until is explained probably that'll change my opinion

Hey NecroRyu! I havent yet watched the E7 movie but i read a bit about first Eureka. I do like the animation and music and I can get the plot ok; at least the main stuff i.e. They seem to have stayed clear of the heavy imagery with this one. Ill definitely keep watching this.

Oh, and apologies for diverging the thread a bit and thanks for responding regardless of that. I really enjoy the community here.

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Jul 06 2012, 12:31 PM)This show is making less and less sense with every episode >__>

Still, some laughs were had. For example:

s1jmg7.jpg

Naru is not so much a human... as a blancmange! 
laugh.gif

then you must watch the cliffhanger of the week xD I havent laughed for a long while in the series, the last episodes still don't make much sense but that scene is worth a gif ^^ talking about gifs check your PM... don't be surprised if Truth survives because it's a humanoid Secret but I wonder about Fleur's dad, will he really die? maybe go back in time or other phenomenon caused by quartz? o_O

^ Dat face in pictures 3 and 4
laugh.gif

To be honest, I've stopped following this series 2-3 episodes ago. I can't say I hate it, and I'm even still downloading fresh eps out of habit, but I'm finding better things to do that watch the show, because I know ahead of time that I'll be disappointed.

I've never even considered the original E7 to be a masterpiece, so I have a lot less tolerance for this sequel than I did for, say, the Last Exile trainwreck.

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ sep 11 2012,03:21 PM)To be honest, I've stopped following this series 2-3 episodes ago. I cant say I hate it, and I'm even still downloading fresh eps out of habit, but I'm finding better things to do that watch the show, because I know ahead of time that I'll be disappointed.I know what you mean after waiting a month and half due the summer Olympic games to watch the two postponed final episodes, recently released and subbed but Renton's arrival or the comedy in ep 8.5 OVA didn't help much ¬¬ ...basically what saved this series was its animation and soundtrack, because the plot or characters aren't interesting enough unlike Psalm of Planets -.- oh well a few funny pics before my final scores:

Psalm of Planets Eureka seveN (TV series 50 ep) spring 2005 to winter 2006 - 9/10
E7 Pocket Full of Rainbows (theatrical movie) spring 2009 - 7/10
PoPE7 ep.51 New Order (true ending TV special) spring 2012 - 8/10
E7 Astral Ocean (2nd TV series 24 eps) spring 2012 to fall 2012 - 5/10
E7AO ep 8.5 The Flowers of Jungfrau (PSP OVA) summer 2012 - 6/10

I wish I could objectively give this series more than a 2... because I really liked the character designs, and some of the ideas... and then Truth actually started talking.

And then he kept showing up.

and again.

and again.

And then they erased him from time.

And yet he still shows up again.

... and then we didn't get any resolution on any of the characters, the "new timeline" was completely unexplored, and all I'm left thinking is "So... someone just played Steins;Gate, right?"

Eureka Seven AO (Astral Ocean, Ao Fukai, etc…) whatever you want to call it, follows titular character Ao Fukai as he tries to find out the mystery behind why his mother, Eureka, disappeared. Granted with Nirvash Mk-II, which was supposedly piloted by his mother, he now joins Generation Blue in the team Pied Piper to fight against the Secrets, Scub Corals, and the “Truth” that threatens humanity. Eureka Seven AO is the sequel to 2005-2006′s popular series Koukyoushihen: Eureka Seven and by the same staff and studio who worked on the original series. Eureka Seven AO ran for two cours starting in Spring 2012 with its final two episodes delayed (supposedly due to the summer olympics) until November 2012. It was licensed and simulcasted by Funimation Entertainment during its run.

Eureka Seven AO’s setup is boring and dull compared to its predecessors. It was full of a whiny main cast, a whiny military, a whiny island, etc… Everything could really describe the first few episodes as whiny. It left a very sour impression on me given how good the original series was. Even if you haven’t seen the prequel, it should immediately evident why this series is bad. It starts out very cliche and predictable and there’s no real hook. As the series progresses, the character development is generally scarce and episodes feel far too episodic. Once it reaches the half way point, the series becomes an acid trip. Eureka finally makes some sort of an appearance yet we’re introduced to this whole space time continuum nonsense that never fully gets explained. The primary antagonist, Truth or even Ao’s childhood “friend,” Naru hints that the “true” timeline is what happens in “reality’s” actual history, i.e. Okinawa is part of Japan, event of WWII, etc… Regardless, the explanation is incredibly shallow and the story never manages to focus in on one particular idea. It jumps around as much as Eureka basically comes and goes. And of course, we then run into events such as the Scub Corals not being bad, the Secrets not being bad, and of course prequel protagonist, Renton, shows up just in the final couple episodes to “save the day.” Unsurprisingly, the conclusion provided a “closure” of some form but of course in a deus ex manner where nothing felt really resolved and easily forced. Should I also begin to question how Ao is able to breather properly while several thousands of feet in the air or even why the series did a “world reset” in episode 22?

Background is nice and detailed. Character designs are okay but definitely preferred those from the original Eureka Seven much more. Animation is okay and could be better. Dog fights are cheap looking. BONES should really get another studio like GAINAX, Sunrise, or Satelight to teach them how to do proper mecha dogfights. In terms of quality, it’s pretty much Star Driver level. Maybe a bit better but like I.G. Production, BONES has really disappointed me as of late.

OP themes are by Hemenway and FLOW. Hemenway’s theme is okay but not really memorable. Still fitting with the show, however. FLOW on the other hand easily struck Eureka Seven nostalgia. ED themes were primarily by Stereopony and joy. joy’s theme doesn’t really fit with this show nor is it my cup of tea. Stereopony’s theme is only okay at best and rather disappointing seeing as this is their last anime song (the band disbanded recently). Background music is okay with sound effects also relatively average. Seiyuu wise, it’s rather disappointing. Hearing Kaori Nazuka as Eureka again was probably the best part of this show but I feel it wasn’t as good as it used to be. Keiji Fujiwara as Renton disappointed me. Eureka Seven fans know that Renton looked up to Holland in the original series and even said he wanted to be like him when he grows up. However, who would’ve thought that the staff would even dare to cast Keiji as the same voice for both Holland and Renton? I’m personally not a fan of this choice. Lastly, Yuutaro Honjou voices Ao. He’s never been close on my list of “good seiyuus” and this role only drops him further. I’m a bit worried now of his role in Nerawareta Gakuen as Kenji.

Enjoyment? Not a single bit. This is a disgrace to the original series and follows the already borderline movie from 2009. I’m rather skeptical at this point about the franchise and it goes to show to not beat a dead horse, or in this case a series that has closed and succeeded. There’s no real recommendation to this series as the overall Eureka Seven concept is unique but if you’re a fan of the first series, I advise you stay away and don’t waste your time. Let yourself enjoy what Eureka Seven originally was.

Overall, the Eureka Seven franchise is on a downwards spiral. It’s failed to prove itself twice in a row now and it only gets worse and worse. The show basically tries to pull a combined Evangelion and Gurren Lagann. Clearly this failed and the staff need to begin trying new works/ideas outside of the Eureka environment.

Preliminary Score: 6/10
Final Score: 3/10

Kit, why such a low score......I know that these days you tend to post only reviews for a series but damn that score is so low. I think I watched the first 9 episodes and then summer of 360 came for me, last time I was watching it I thought it was okay and I was recently thinking of going back and finishing it.

I didn't read the full review by the way, I don't want to spoil myself but I do tend to check your review scores whenever I get the chance, even for animes I haven'r seen, I try to look for your high-scoring ones.
biggrin.gif

I guess I'll now hold off from putting time to watching this anime, I'll watch it eventually, just not now.
rolleyes.gif

^ Well, I made it up to episode 17-18 mostly because I was bored and a good sub group was doing it... But I have to say it really falls apart not too long after that 9th episode you watched.

The series takes a lot of "easy ways" to advance the storyline, and relies a bit too heavily on the original series' merit without having enough of its own. What it really lacks compared to the original is a consistent and meaningful storyline, which was the primary draw for me.

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Dec 01 2012, 04:29 AM) The series takes a lot of "easy ways" to advance the storyline, and relies a bit too heavily on the original series' merit without having enough of its own. What it really lacks compared to the original is a consistent and meaningful storyline, which was the primary draw for me.
I wouldn't even call it easy ways. In fact, it's more of a "oh by the way" and "just accept and move on" type developments. It also used the whole "Eureka is a alive" as a huge teaser to try to keep people interested. Once it changed to the second OP, it also tacked on Renton.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Paying little attention to plot consistency and using cameos from the original in hopes of retaining some of the viewers. The exact same thing that Last Exile: Fam did, but on a much bigger scale.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back