ef ~a Tale of Melodies~

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
WTF?? They actually managed to make the worse and most predictable ending i've seen...

A CAR HIT HER???

err...I think it doesn't end yet. since at the end of the episode, the title "reread" (which is for next episode) was shown.

it finally ends! gosh. I kinda like the song sang by Miki. and the also the violin tune alone can stand on its own. oh my. it was beautiful. truly beautiful.

Holy schlamoly... what's with the Japanese and tearjerkers? They're really good at them, frighteningly so even. Even though the series is filled to the brim with contrived plot elements, such as Yuuko being killed by a car , and the relationship between Mizuki and Kuze is utterly unconvincing, it still hit a major nerve with me. By the end of episode 11 I was reduced to a quivering pile of tears. That... that song was just too much!

all in all I thought they did a good job with the series. not as good as memories, but still a satisfying end to the stories.

I really enjoyed the Ef series. Melodies was very well done and holds it's own to Memories. I am not sure which one I enjoyed more. Melodies was full of emotions and was executed exceptionally well. As motormind said "it was full of contrived plot elements" yet it was pulled off naturally and never felt faked or contrived.

I don't know how anyone couldn't feel for Yuuko, she was pure win in my heart and goes down as one of the sweetest characters in my book.

Animation was always very innovative and eye catching, as well as the design of the characters. The huge eyes and slender figures were drawn very fashionably and cute. Music was also a strong point, a bit over used in the last 2 episodes, I do feel they might have needed to stretch em out so they used music. That is pretty much my only gripe. Overall I rate it very high and very re-watchable.

I am surprised this thread is so short for such a good series!!
blink.gif
I'd like to here what more people thought of Melodies
sad.gif
I

QUOTE (antabaka84 @ Dec 30 2008, 11:37 PM) I am surprised this thread is so short for such a good series!!
blink.gif
I'd like to here what more people thought of Melodies
sad.gif
I
Maybe everyone here was too speechless from watching the series to comment about anything.
rolleyes.gif
But really, it's nothing new. Both seasons of Hidamari Sketch (ironically another Shaft production) also got very little posts despite them being two of the better anime in their respective seasons and years. Some series just get more attention.

That said, I actually liked the first season better. Memories was new and fresh, had more mystery to it, and was an excellent introduction which had a great plot. With Melodies, on the other hand, we already knew some about the series, so most of the mystery had evaporated, but the drama was still palpable, especially the latter part of the series with Yuko and Yu's past gradually revealed.

Despite that, I still greatly enjoyed Melodies, especially the first episode with the overly simple scene with Mizuki and Kuze in his house just talking. What we saw of Yuko's life was very depressing to watch, from her losing her parents in the earthquake, to having that horrible life with her "brother", and then ultimately dying on Christmas because of a senseless car crash. Her reunion with Yu was very touching, and brought some more meaning to the rest of Memories and Melodies.

Overall, the series was very good, and has cemented my love for Shaft, they having animated three of the best series in the past two years: Hidamari Sketch, ef, and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. I believe that if ef had been animated by any other conventional animation studio, it wouldn't even have been half as good.

Well,don't know why but Melody was way better than Memories for me.I'm not saying that Memories sucked,in fact Memories was great too but Melodies was much more dramatic for me.Memories had a nice and mysterious plot backed up by a wonderfull OST and magnificent background landscapes (the sky was so beautifully drawn that it looked like a painted picture).But Melodies had that derpressing and crushing drama,the scenes where Yukoo was speaking up fast while telling Yuu how she suffred in the hand of her brother and the "why?why?why?"scene between Kuze and Mizuki gave me goosbumps.I though in the end that Yuu was going to suicide so he can meet up with Yuuko,even though it turned out differently it was still great to see the cast of character (Kuze,Yuu,Mizuki and the one from Memories) live up happily after so much despair (especially the Melodies cast).Wanted to know, what does EF refer too?Is it for Euphoric Field or Ebullient Futur?

QUOTE (Juhachi @ Dec 31 2008, 02:20 AM) Maybe everyone here was too speechless from watching the series to comment about anything.
rolleyes.gif

It's actually because most of us are probably waiting for Menclave XD or even Aquastar for that matter.

I'm still at episode 3...will *hopefully* watch 4 and 5 tonight. I like Melodies so far and I hear it gets better, especially due to a lot more Yuuko....I just hope it lives up to what I hope for as I watch more of it...

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Jan 02 2009, 03:13 PM) It's actually because most of us are probably waiting for Menclave XD or even Aquastar for that matter.

hmm why?

[Moderator's Note: read your pm]

Episode 6 was just awesome...though I was a bit spoiled after seeing the video quality of episode 1 in Blu-Ray...made everything seem terrible. That aside though, Yuuko really is amazing in this episode...finally we got to know more about her, but I feel like there were an incredible amount of gaps...and the fact that they "censored" everything didn't help much either since it was hard to actually visualize what had actually happened and how bad her wounds really were. The episode didn't end on quite the note I was hoping for....though the ending theme was cute with lots of Yuuko. I really liked the Usoda/Usotsuki animations...made me think of Higurashi XD.

Interesting how the episodes are titled. Episode 6: Flection. Episode 7: Reflection.

I hope this isn't the end of Yuuko's arc since it simply felt incredibly inconclusive for something that I have been waiting to find out more about.

So I guess I'm the only one still watching this by waiting for blu-ray and menclave's releases....I definitely plan on rewatching this series in Blu-Ray after the ridiculously blurry scenes in episodes 7 through 10. It was so hard to tell with the 4 minutes of blur while Amamiya was dying in the fire he set. That said, episodes 5-10 are the best so far. So much plot and character development filled with so much drama. Episode 10 made me shed many tears...definitely worth sitting through 4-6 episodes in one go and Yuuko's death really made me cry. And now I'm desperately waiting for the last 2 episodes....and the blu-ray release...to see how things play out from here.

The soundtrack for this series in these past 6 episodes have really impressed me. Fantastic orchestra from beginning to end and not to mention the awesome opening theme and the decent ending theme

I'm utterly speechless by Yuuko's arc though after episode 10. I mean the lack of an opening theme was hinting at something but did they HAVE TO DO THAT NOW! I was hoping for a finale explanation in episode 12, but this makes me feel ridiculously sad and the fact that my love for Yuuko as a character just shot to maximum like no other. That was incredibly well done. Maybe a bit rushed with the transition to the ending theme but otherwise it was spectacular.

On another note, Mizuki's and Kuze's arc really bores me to no end and feels out of place....especially when compared to Yuuko's and Yuu's arc...which is where everything good and interesting happens.

Anyways, I'm glad they are focusing tremendously on Yuuko, because after memories I was tremendously disappointed with the lack of focus on the character I "chosen" for this series
tongue.gif

What a way to end the night...had I seen this earlier I would have chosen this as one of the best drama....

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back