Eden of the East (Higashi no Eden)

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

JCDRANZER

- Sky King
Retired

Title: Eden of the East (Higashi no Eden)
Japanese Title: 東のエデン
Genre: Sci-Fi-Mystery, Drama, Action, Adventure, Lost Memories, Romance
Premier: April 2009
Original Creator: Kenji Kamiyama
Animation Studio: Production I.G
Director: Kenji Kamiyama
Screenplay: Kenji Kamiyama
Original Character Design: Chika Umino
Official Websites:

1.) http://www.juiz.jp/
2.) http://www.production-ig.co.jp/contents/wo...810_/index.html

Basic Info:

Its planned to be 11 episodes.
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Production I.G announces Eden of the East, the new animated TV series by world-acclaimed director Kenji Kamiyama. The series is slated in Japan for April 2009 within the popular Fuji Television's late-night time slot noitaminA, a well established guarantee of high rates for animation.

Kenji Kamiyama, director of the million-selling Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series and of the award-winning high-fantasy Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit, is famous for his insightful and intense rendering of human drama and the uncompromising visual quality of his works. This time, he will challenge with a story of youth set in a very near-future Japan, based on an original script written by himself.

Honey and Clover celebrated manga artist, Chika Umino is contributing her unique touch for the original character design. "I can feel strong affinity with Umino's approach to the delineation of the characters and her story construction methodology," commented Kamiyama on his collaboration with Umino.

Eden of the East is the first original series to be broadcast within noitaminA, the previous shows being transpositions of existing manga or novels. The first series aired in the block was notably Chika Umino's Honey and Clover in 2005. Production I.G successfully debuted in the noitaminA block in April 2008 with the series Library War, directed by Takayuki Hamana.

(~from Production I.G~)

Plot:

November 22, 2010. Monday.
Ten missiles hit the territory of Japan.
However, this unprecedented terrorist act, later to be known as "Careless Monday" apparently did not cause any casualities, and was soon forgotten by almost everyone.

Then, 3 months later...
Saki Morimi is a young woman currently in the United States of America on her graduation trip. But just when she is in front of the White House, Washington DC, she gets into troubles, and only the unexpected intervention of one of her fellow countrymen saves her day.

However, this man, who introduces himself as Akira Takizawa, is a complete mystery.
First of all, he appears to have lost his memory.
Secondly, he is stark naked, except for the gun he holds in one hand, and the mobile phone he's grabbing with the other hand. A phone that is charged with 8,200,000,000 yen in digital cash.

Who is Akira Takizawa?
What are the secrets behind his extraordinary mobile phone?
What got lost with his vanished memory?

(~from Production I.G and edited by me~)

My Thoughts:

It sounds very unique and besides the "unique-ness".......its the ppl behind this series thats making me really excited about it......sounds like its gonna be a surprise hit......I'm gonna keep my eye on this one.
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Production IG? Kenji Kamiyama? Character design by the Honey and Clover manga artist? I'm sold!
Also when I read the title I keep thinking it should be East of Eden (by John Steinback) ... my mind is having a hard time registering this backwards title lol

Ooo a mystery series, might be worth a look. I have faith in I.G. studios too so I'll try to at least check out 1 or 2 episodes when it airs
smile.gif

it is indeed the most original anime so far this year, i just took a look at episode 1 and have to say that i'm now officially following this series; the dude going around showing his stuff off to everyone was so funny, and i noticed whoever saw it treated him like some sort of king; although it didn't affect the girl

OP = unique
ED = unique
content = unique
characters = male lead is very unique, the girl is kind of average
tongue.gif

I'll wait for subs on this one; I don't expect the plot to be simple enough for me to understand fully.

That said, googling ANYTHING connected with the show will be a PAIN because of the "east of Eden" book or w/e.

Yay. The episode was subbed already. Quick! Subs by gg-subs (which is strange since the message on their site says "everything is dropped"), those guys usually do a great job with their translations!

Will post first impressions once I'm done watching it, and sleeping
wink.gif

EDIT: Hell yeah! Best show of the season is here! Now, hopefully there is another group that really picks this one up - I will be very very sad if I can't watch it
biggrin.gif

I have to say that this show might make it to my top. I think it has alot of potential. I really enjoyed the first episode. The story and characters are unique. Its nice to see that they flipped things around this time. Its usually some avarage dude meets some really unique girl. This show is somewhat remenicent of Full Metal Panic. Another thing they did well was the english voice acting which was fairly believable not just some poor japanese imitation. I'll be eagerly awaiting the next episode to this. "I guess it was because of how cold I was back there" 
biggrin.gif
that was halarious.

that. was. AWESOME.
Trust Production I.G. to just blow our minds away >.> lol
This looks really promising. I WAS a bit bothered by how easy going Saki seems to be though...

Still. Awesome.

And the Bourne reference made me giggle. lol.

Definitely seems like best show of the Spring season material. First episode was hilarious and light with small hints/bits of political intrigue, to be expected from the directer of Stand Alone Complex. Though the comedy aspects were a nice change from him.

And another small thing that ends up making quite a difference is the actual English, not Engrish. People in DC actually speak like they should.

ED was some cool looking stop-motion animation as well.

It's true that this anime feels like it has plenty of potential story wise buuuuuuuut I don't wanna jump the gun and start awarding the title "best anime of the season" after this one episode. It was good but not great.

I specifically liked how the main protagonist has lost his memories and is basically just winging it all at the moment. Plus the mystery of why he has so many different identities/strange contact on the other line of his cell were all intriguing storylines. I don't really have much of an opinion on the main female protagonist quite yet since she didn't really standout. She seemed like the shy and sorta naive type but it's still too early to make judgments on her character.

If the story manages to mix in good character development (quickly, since it's a short anime) and underlying plot (terrorism?) this could turn out to be a very unique anime. It's definitely near the top of my watchlist for this anime season. Nice Animation is a +

As promised, first impressions:

OP: Interesting style, although I don't have quite the reaction time to read all the text. It looked like a quote from some philoshphy or religious book or sth. The song is nothing special, but it's not bad and fits the show.

Graphics: It's I.G. Nuff said. I've never seen a show by I.G. that doesn't look good in its own way. We got some SD, but it didn't feel excessive or intrusive. Character animations look natural and lifelike. Felt more like a movie than animation, especially in how the "camera" followed the characters' movements at angles, as opposed to just panning.

Music: nothing outstanding, but nothing horrid. I'm sure it will pick up as the story speeds up, though.

Story: We didn't really get much beyond what was in the trailer (for those who saw it). We got some light comedy "maybe I was doing soething against local customs" was my favourite line
happy.gif
, and a giant sharp hook that lures you into watching episode 2. As far as first episodes go, that is, imo, all you need. I wonder what city they bomb next
biggrin.gif
My prediction for the development is that the "tabula rasa" guy will have the choice to pick sides as he recovers his lost identity, and a decision to make about the involvement of the heroine as they discover mutual feelings. Sounds cliche as hell, but as lond as they tune down the romance and up the political & philisophical content, it should be fine. The "Japan is not able to do anything by itself" line the heroine casually dropped sounded intriguing.

ED: YES! The last show I've seen to do anything nearly as original with the animation was Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. The song is nothing special though.

Random observations: The sign on the cellphone with the spinning weird phrase reminds me a lot of the Warau Otoko sign
smile.gif
Also, I wonder what "noblesse oblige" has to do with anything, we've seen it so much in one episode that it's almost like a tagline. I hope they'll use it for what I think they will, and make a connection to the whole US<->Japan plot.

This show is now my top priority, because, the hell, there's nothing much else to watch anyway.

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Apr 10 2009, 04:05 PM) Definitely seems like best show of the Spring season material.  First episode was hilarious and light with small hints/bits of political intrigue, to be expected from the directer of Stand Alone Complex.  Though the comedy aspects were a nice change from him.

And another small thing that ends up making quite a difference is the actual English, not Engrish.  People in DC actually speak like they should.

GITS:SAC had a plenty of comedic moments as well. Especially the Tachikoma (how could you forget?!! lol).

The English doesn't exactly sound fully authentic, but at least it isn't horrid. I have always wondered why it's so hard for other shows to hire people who can speak English to do CVs.

senpai-kun, I can understand your worries, since the first episode didin't even get through everything shown in the trailer. However, that earns extra points in my book, because that's what I call proper exposition. I was afraid they'd drop half of the plot on us in the first ep like most anime did this season. I also hope the antagonists aren't some wacko Mason order or something, doing "ebil" for the "greater good" (cause that'd be horribly cliche). In any case more than "terorism", I'm suspecting some kind of conspiracy.

It may not be the best anime of the season (although with all honesty I don't see another with this much potential, aside from maybe Guin Saga; nothing has as much potential as a "tabula rasa" setup), but it was def. the best first ep of the season
wink.gif

w.o.w
now that was one great first episode
Higashi No Eden, i think, has got some potential to become a great anime
i loved the OP, it was different in style, but what was why i loved it so much.
and i have to applaud the creators for using actual english, instead of that dodgy Engrish.
there wasnt anything that special during the first episode, but the characters were really appealing and interesting, and there is obviously a great underlying plot which hopefully will unravel itself effectively.
lol at the "Johnny", LOL
im so going to watch this anime as the episodes come. hopefully, i will be a great anime for 2009.

and the stop motion paper thing during the ending was epic!

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Apr 10 2009, 06:58 PM) Random observations: The sign on the cellphone with the spinning weird phrase reminds me a lot of the Warau Otoko sign
smile.gif
Also, I wonder what "noblesse oblige" has to do with anything, we've seen it so much in one episode that it's almost like a tagline. I hope they'll use it for what I think they will, and make a connection to the whole US<->Japan plot.
Noblesse Oblige is a french phrase that literally translates to "Nobility Obligates"
It is also used as an expression denotating something along the lines of "with power comes responsibility."
I'm not sure what the use of it in the series is, but considering it's all over the phone left to him by a shady organization, I think I will go with the literal meaning. The talk of "princes" and such sort of contributes to that too.

I poked around a bit to find out about the text in the opening

Apparently, it isn't quoted from anything. In other words, it is original for the series, and methinks it will eventually pop up somehow.

It goes as follows

I saw you in Heaven
and heard of your glory
You saved our world from the fallen angels
I saw Messiah standing,
Standing before me with no words
Nothing but "Hope".
When we lost dread, a Demon was laughing
But now you are showing us wonder
Giving your love
With awe, down on my knees again
I've got to know you're the one,
The only one reveals the world

The King has come!
To lighten up our feet
The King has come!
To save us from the dark
Who could ever doubt? We have faith

Let me walk with you when I'm lost in the wild
I know you always lead me to another Eden
Let me bless your name, O Lord, O Lord!
Your words will never fade away
Since we believe you're the light on earth
Reveals the world

The religious connotations may raise eyebrows but I don't think that's their focus. I think it goes more with the concept of "nobility" not in the sense of royalty, but of heroics; A savior if you will. In what sense? Well, I guess we have to watch and see.

There's also a quote in there from William Shakespeare's play, Julius Caesar

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins abuse from power"

In the opening, that text is around the symbol on Akira's phone. It goes with the symbol itself, a balance. Whoever this "organization" may be, it could be safe to assume there is some altruistic notion behind their actions. It's only the first ep so it remains to be seen though.

Towards the end there's another bit of text that says "Selecao System: 12 persons selected in Japan"
Selecao is portugese for Selection. The OP also shows an insignia with the word on it, and the roman numeral IX under it.
This is also on the back of his phone.

Anywho, I will continue digging for what I can! This was just from the OP >.>' lol.
Also, just found out there's a movie slated for release after the series is over
ohmy.gif

That scares me.
What if they intend to wrap it up with the film? That would suck... we'd have to wait forever to get closure from this series. lol.

Yeah, I know what "noblesse oblige" means. I was just kind of wondering how exactly they;d incorporate that. I'm guessing it's the motto of the "bad guys".

I also saw the text on the ANN forum. It really doesn't ring a bell (but then again, I'm not very good with that kind of literature). I do wonder what it is, I somehow doubt it's anime original (especially considering how the director loves throwing in random quotes).

I didn't know that other quote was from Shakespeare though.

Keep up the work! You're appointed the official informant on the references in the show =)

PS. I heard there was some kind of Bourne reference in ep one... I didn't watch any of the Bourne movies, anyone catch that?

When he was looking through his room to see all the stuff he had and found the passports.
"Not De Niro, but Jason Bourne?"
De Niro is a reference to Robert De Niro the actor, who played in the movie "Taxi Driver" that he references to as he holds the gun and looks in the window. A link to movie info: Taxi Driver.
Jason Bourne is from the Bourne novels from which the movies were based on. The reason he mentions it is because Bourne had a lot of passports with different names and such so he could travel "under cover" without anyone knowing it was him.

Now that that's been explained:
Absolutely LOVED the first episode. This series is definitely on my watch list for this season. Its one of the only shows that have really stuck out as good (there has been one that stuck out a lot - but that was because it was absolutely HORRIBLE - Queens Blade). I found myself laughing several times and really got caught up in the story. I want to know more about the characters and their past, as well as whats going to happen. It was nice that both of them got developed simultaneously rather than just leaving one character as a blank slate to be filled in (maybe) later.
The artwork was also nice - it wasn't amazing in the way that GITS is, but was very fluid and dynamic. Really liked it.

I LOVED the first episode. IT screamed H&C to me (including the ending, now all I need is Yuki singing >.>). But ya, I was so ticked off when the first episodde cut out like that, I was sitting screaming 'MORE MORE MORE!!!!'. I have not been this hyped up about an anime since last summer.

I want to talk about the plot thus far, but I am curious to see how it plays out first.

I loved that episode on so many levels most of them already covered, like the Honey and Clover looking characters and ED style, so I'm going to point out some other neat things I spotted.

Like Barbobot said, it's the small things that make a difference, but I can go smaller than the use of English fluent Voice Actors, how about region correct birdsong. I could hear Red-Winged Blackbirds going "Konk-er-eee" in the background, and I think I heard some Song Sparrows too. I've seen plenty of shows in the apst that supposedly take place in America or England where you hear Japanese birds in the background. Either the directors are implying the biggest mass vagrancey in Ornithological history or they were just lazy.

Also cool, in the opening sequence showing Saki's vacation photos of New York, there was one of the her in front of the skyline featuring a completed 1 World Trade Center.

And I loved that De Niro reference too becasue on the table in the room is nearly the exact sliding sleeve pistol rig that Travis Bickle built in Taxi Driver. As soon as I saw it I thought "Taxi Driver" then he said it after doing a "You lookin at me" in the mirror.
wink.gif

Oh, and BTW, the biggest mystery of the show isn't how Akira lost his memory, or who he really is, or who the mysterious oganization behind all that is. NO, the biggest Mystery is why that guy gave him his pants.
wink.gif

QUOTE Also cool, in the opening sequence showing Saki's vacation photos of New York, there was one of the her in front of the skyline featuring a completed 1 World Trade Center.

Cool! I haven't noticed that one =)

I wonder if they plan to blow this one up, too, in the anime
laugh.gif

QUOTE (AccipiterF1 @ Apr 11 2009, 05:46 PM) Oh, and BTW, the biggest mystery of the show isn't how Akira lost his memory, or who he really is, or who the mysterious oganization behind all that is. NO, the biggest Mystery is why that guy gave him his pants.
wink.gif

Ya, I was slightly curious about that as well. Not many people are willing to give up there pants like that. I guess there is always the insane ones though.

I love the anime & it has quickly becoming my favorite.

The opening sequence is my favorite because british rock band "OASIS" is doing the opening theme song with their track "Falling Down", & the style of the opening sequence looks cool.

The characters are very likable, especially both Akira & Saki cause they've been fun to watch, & the story has become very interesting because it involves a secret organization & connections to the terrorist bombing in Japan. Also its a nice addition to add english voice actors in this cause it a mix of both east & west colliding or meeting & it appears like a real time event.

The tracks are also enjoyable to listen because it adds a sort of tehno/thiller feel to it. Also the theme of this cleverly adds elements of both the film "Taxi Driver" with the "Jason Bourne series".

I have a theory that there is a sort of device in Akira's head, because if you saw the episode then you would notice that he was naked & pointed a gun at the two cops, or the white house, but when he answers his phone there was a noise coming that suddenly caused him to loose his memory

Production I.G. has alway made great anime & this is their best one. This is an anime that I'm looking forward & recommened

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back