Do you smoke or do drugs?

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Have your ever smoked or did drugs?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never

• Sometimes

• I quit

• Once in a blue moon

• I did it once and never again

• Total voters
QUOTE (Dalriada @ May 30 2008, 02:50 AM) We've already had this discussion, haven't we ?
wink.gif

More than once, I believe, but hey, I'm not the one who brought it up!

lol... but maybe I can take solace in the fact that the car analogy with drugs doesn't hold up under extreme speculation.
tongue.gif

...and plus you've got to take into account that something as simple as a mood swing or a lack of sleep can be far more destructive than being intoxicated, but you simply can't ban people from being human.

...not that I'm really disagreeing with you anywhere. at least we can take solace in the fact that we both abstain from drugs except in the most dire of circumstances.
wink.gif

Before you have your first drink or puff you think it is about being cool, or about making yourself stupid. Once it's in you you suddenly realize, "Actually, this is really fun!" Yes folks, alcohol and marijuana can be an awful lot of fun, and fun really isn't inherently dangerous.

There are two problems, though. First, there are health dangers associated with both. Alcohol much more so than marijuana, but certainly no kind of smoke is good for your lungs. Second, though, they are fun but nothing else. It's a lot like sitting around and watching TV--it can be enjoyable but is it really helping you achieve what you want in life? Both of these are good reasons to wait until you are older and your body and life are stabilizing a bit. Only you can say when/if you'll be ready, but honestly I'd at least wait until you're out of high school.

About which drugs are worse, etc: I've tripped (LSD/mushrooms) a few dozen times and smoked marijuana a few hundred times, but by -far- the most destructive drug I've ever been involved with was alcohol. No joke at all. Don't let the bullshit laws fool you: do your own research, make your own decisions.

QUOTE (EggBeast @ May 30 2008, 10:11 AM)...and plus you've got to take into account that something as simple as a mood swing or a lack of sleep can be far more destructive than being intoxicated, but you simply can't ban people from being human.
Not true I'm afraid. They say someone who has been driving for 18 hours flat (think sleep deprivation) has the same driving ability as someone on the alcohol limit. That may sound amazing but remember it doesn't take much to reach the alcohol limit. All it takes is 2 pints (1 litre) of beer or one large glass of wine (300ml). Now when I consume that amount of alcohol I can "feel" the alcohol but I wouldn't even consider myself merry. So just imagine driving when actually drunk. Okay so alcohol limits vary from country to country but I believe the UK has looser limits than other European countries.

Still consider that hundreds of people die from drink driving. It's another instance that the effect of drugs can effect others as well as yourself. After all many of the recreation drugs effect our judgement.

Oh and unlike sleeping no one needs alcohol (unless your a raging alcohol in which case you need help anyway). So a ban of alcohol is possible (admittedly very difficult) but sleeping no.

QUOTE Both of these are good reasons to wait until you are older and your body and life are stabilizing a bit. Only you can say when/if you'll be ready, but honestly I'd at least wait until you're out of high school.

Saying you are ready...
It's the problem I have with mood-altering drugs.

Let's take an example :
You're sober/not on drugs. You'll say "Well, I'm able to drive my car quite safely".
You're drunk (not on the vomiting-on-you-shoes level, but let's say... 3 beers). You'll say "Well, I'm able to drive my car quite safely". Not because you can, but because the alcohol is altering your judgment on the effect of alcohol.

So the argument "Know your limit" is flawed.

---------

Not true I'm afraid. They say someone who has been driving for 18 hours flat (think sleep deprivation) has the same driving ability as someone on the alcohol limit.

Besides, a lot of professional drivers (truck or bus drivers) have actually limitations.
Can't remember the numbers, which would change with the country anyway, but they can't drive more than a definite number each day and have to halt every two hours.
In long travels by bus, it's common to have two drivers.
So people are taking sleep deprivation into account.

Edit :

Not only driving while lacking sleep. It's also been proven scientifically that driving while using a cellphone [At least for the test subjects] is as destructive and dangerous as DUI.

Probably why it's also illegal (my father was fined yesterday because of that. It serves him right).

Not only driving while lacking sleep. It's also been proven scientifically that driving while using a cellphone [At least for the test subjects] is as destructive and dangerous as DUI. The main thing affected whether or not you're lacking sleep, drunk, or on the phone is your concentration and body coordination, something which i think is pretty much different individually speaking.

So practically anything that can interfere with your concentration is a driving hazard. Even billboards with sexy babes for the horndogs out there.

I do not smoke or drink but I have tried them both, I first took a puff of a cigarrette when I was arround 7 or 8 years old and I think it was one of the best things Ive done because it made me hate cigarrettes from an early, that was the first and last time i smoked.
as for alcohol (not allowed to drink yet) , I simply dont like the taste except wine which I like. If i ever drink is usually on a special ocasion like having a beer with my dad on his birthday and drinking wine on New Years eve.

I actually had my first try of marijuana last month, on 4/20 appropriately enough. It wasn't smoking though. Someone made brownies so I decided to just try one. Before that the main reason why I never smoked weed before wasn't because I was necessarily in the mindset of "marijuana is bad, mkay." It was more the fact that I don't find inhaling any kind of smoke to be pleasant at all. Also I detest the smell of marijuana, which is very annoying when you have a roommate who sells and every other roommate smokes. I actually prefer the smell of cigarette smoke to marijuana smoke. Well anyway the experience wasn't that special in any way. Doesn't change my mind and make we want to actually smoke at all.

Do continue to drink though. Love my Cap'n & Cokes.

About legality of self-damaging drugs:

The general consensus seems to be that it should be an individual's choice whether to engage in possibly dangerous behavior. But what if it begins to affect other people (ie Beating someone in a drunken rage)?

I think in the end, it all comes down to this:

What is a reasonable way to limit the usage of intoxicating drugs, as to not infringe on personal freedoms, but still protect innocent people. Sure, drinking a little is a personal right, but when you get drunk and hit a pedestrian it isn't personal anymore. So, where do you draw the line?

QUOTE (chickenwing71x @ May 30 2008, 01:00 PM)What is a reasonable way to limit the usage of intoxicating drugs, as to not infringe on personal freedoms, but still protect innocent people. Sure, drinking a little is a personal right, but when you get drunk and hit a pedestrian it isn't personal anymore. So, where do you draw the line?
Well, if you're looking for ideas on that, you could probably find some right here.

But yeah, there are a lot of sticky isses that go into ethical/practical drug usage. I think going too far into those in this thread goes beyond its scope.

QUOTE (EggBeast @ May 30 2008, 05:35 PM) Well, if you're looking for ideas on that, you could probably find some right here.

But yeah, there are a lot of sticky isses that go into ethical/practical drug usage. I think going too far into those in this thread goes beyond its scope.
You're right. I had forgotten it was a poll, what with all the posts about drug ethics. Sorry about that.

This may be slightly off-topic, but hey-- my next door neighbor this year is an enormous pothead. Partially it's funny (I can hear his conversations because he's also apparently a deaf pothead and yells all the time) but pot-smell seeps into my room and (a) it makes me dizzy and listless and (B) I'm starting to feel like I wouldn't be able to pass a drug test anymore. XD

But seriously, has anyone else ever had a problem like this? I don't really care that he smokes pot (what he does on his own time is his business, as long as he's not like... raping children or something), but I don't particularly enjoy his nightly aromatherapy, and I'm not really sure if there's any reasonable way to confront him about it. He seems like a nice enough guy, just... not the brightest bulb.

(and if anyone's wondering, I myself can't even take Sudafed without being effed up for the next 24 hours, so joining him in a neighborly passing of the joint is out.)

I'm going to be pedantic here and say that I smoked once but after that one cigarette I dont see how anybody could choose to do that unless they're either stupid or a masochist.
Also I do one drug regularly in the morning: Caffeine
tongue.gif

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY CAFFEINE FOR IT DOTH MAKE THE WORLD GO ROUND!
biggrin.gif

I had a similar problem a while back Soulja but not quite as dramatic. When I was living in the states just a 100 yards away one of my neighbours apartments smelt of weed so much you could smell it as you drove past, although the irony of this is also that in the same area also lived a police officer but nothing seemed to happen.
dry.gif

climhazerd this is a poll not a debate about drug ethics and judging by your comment you are as close -minded as the people you claim to dislike. If you;re not going to be responsible with your comments please refrain from speaking.

QUOTE (HJSoulma @ Nov 10 2008, 11:56 PM) But seriously, has anyone else ever had a problem like this? I don't really care that he smokes pot (what he does on his own time is his business, as long as he's not like... raping children or something), but I don't particularly enjoy his nightly aromatherapy, and I'm not really sure if there's any reasonable way to confront him about it. He seems like a nice enough guy, just... not the brightest bulb.

It's not really a problem about drugs, but a problem about neighbours.

First step : try to speak with him and solve the problem. Several solutions : better isolation of the doors (sometimes, something as small as a carpet at the bottom of the door can work), smoking with opened windows...).

The next steps are more confrontational (contacting the manager of your building for example), so keep them for later.

--------------

Rambling from climhazerd

Does anyone need another proof that drugs are bad for the brain ?
dry.gif

QUOTE (climhazerd @ Nov 11 2008, 10:41 AM) <snip>
Please refrain from that language, this is meant to be a "friendly" forum.
wink.gif

QUOTE (Dalriada @ Nov 11 2008, 11:23 AM)

Rambling from climhazerd

Does anyone need another proof that drugs are bad for the brain ?

ROFL........that seriously cracked me up.
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

QUOTE (HJSoulma @ Nov 11 2008, 05:56 AM)But seriously, has anyone else ever had a problem like this? I don't really care that he smokes pot (what he does on his own time is his business, as long as he's not like... raping children or something), but I don't particularly enjoy his nightly aromatherapy, and I'm not really sure if there's any reasonable way to confront him about it. He seems like a nice enough guy, just... not the brightest bulb.
I faced a similar problem. When I was living in halls one of our room mates took so much weed they started becoming paranoid. They kept making accusations that people where watching them; having hidden cameras installed in their room. This delusion is surprisingly common and is a good proof that weed can affect the mind. As for what happened to our room mate, we tolerated their behaviour so long as they smoked in their room (that way they would be the only one to get in trouble if caught). However, things came to a end when they started threatening people with a knife cause someone stole their cigarettes (apparently).
dry.gif
Fortunately, they were so high they couldn't really do anything. We all demanded this student had to go...

It a shame really cause when the person wasn't high they seemed pretty friendly and sociable. It seems the drugs had taken it's toll on the person and they were losing grip on reality.

As for your problem it would be better to speak to the person directly. And make some arrangement so smoke doesn't enter your room. Failing that, it would be best to contact the landlord or maybe the police but I would safe the police for last. Only call them when you have exhausted other possibilities.

Yes i do smoke pot about once a month and i like it. I even had my first trip on shrooms last week which i found to be strange. i hate cigaretes and all types of tabacco and i think beer tastes horrible.

call me a hippy but i think that pot takes away alot of stress. it makes me feel relaxed and in a cheery mood the next day, it also helps me sleep like a log at night. shrooms on the other hand were just too much. It made me really paranoid and gave weird and vivid halucinations (but for some weird reason it made music really enjoyable) i couldn't get to sleep that night because everytime i closed my eyes some weird thought or memory would come to my mind and make me feel like i was really there.

so yea those are my 2 cents on drugs
biggrin.gif

I do hash and alcohol on a regular basis. Sometimes shrooms and amfetamine, but rarely. Amfetamine is really handy the day after, if you have been on a badtrip. The least thing you want to do is sit alone after the trip didn't go as planned. Pot is really handy for a good night sleep after a dose of amfetamine
cool.gif

All those drugs compliment each other
smile.gif
And i reccomend them if you ever want to try drugs, do be careful with the amfetamine though, your mind can easily get addicted to it.

Another reccomended drug is ketamine (special K) If you ever go to england, this one is a must. The worst thing that can happen if you get cought with K on you, is a warning and having your stash confiscated. Take it intramuscular for the most out of it.
wink.gif

QUOTE (dickban @ Dec 09 2008, 11:19 PM)I do hash and alcohol on a regular basis. Sometimes shrooms and amfetamine, but rarely. Amfetamine is really handy the day after, if you have been on a badtrip. The least thing you want to do is sit alone after the trip didn't go as planned. Pot is really handy for a good night sleep after a dose of amfetamine
cool.gif

All those drugs compliment each other
smile.gif
And i reccomend them if you ever want to try drugs, do be careful with the amfetamine though, your mind can easily get addicted to it.
Mixing drugs is never really good. You could argue that heroin and cocaine complement each other; cocaine is a stimulant while heroin is a depressant. So to cool down from the cocaine high you would take heroin. Thing is, mixing drugs just compounds the problem. Drugs react with each other, often in unpredictable ways. What's more the drugs sold in the street are rarely pure and will contain unknown purities. These unknown contents could also react to the drug. Okay so my example is rather extreme but I just wanted to highlight that drug mixing is never a good thing. Why do people keep saying that mixing drugs with alcohol is very dangerous?

Hmm and it's a very risky habit if you start using drugs (I'm not talking about prescription drugs) to get to sleep. Drinking alcohol is a good way to fall asleep (it makes you feel drowsy), but if this becomes a habit you will put yourself under significant health risks. So I wouldn't recommend people doing this either...

i am ganna have to say drugs in general are a bad thing and should never be done unless it is a prescription and the doctors say you need to take it. now with that said you can guess that i don't do drugs and never have. i never plan on doing drugs as really i see no need the best cure is your own mind even if it is hard for some it is possible.

QUOTE (monsta666 @ Dec 10 2008, 01:49 PM) Why do people keep saying that mixing drugs with alcohol is very dangerous?

Hmm and it's a very risky habit if you start using drugs (I'm not talking about prescription drugs) to get to sleep. Drinking alcohol is a good way to fall asleep (it makes you feel drowsy), but if this becomes a habit you will put yourself under significant health risks. So I wouldn't recommend people doing this either...
Alot of drugs and especially psychedelic drugs open you mind to new ideas and thoughts, you notice and get hung up in things you would normaly not care about. Alcohol makes your mind a big fussy mess of thoughts and it often provokes rare feelings and amplify them. If you don't have a clear mind while taking mind altering drugs, you will get paranoia, desperation, tripping and can't find the way back out, claustrophobia, fear etc(what i have experienced) Basically the **** will hit the fan and that is what you'd call a badtrip
psychedelic drugs are not party drugs! And must be taken with caution, all drugs must be that.

If you are not a party human, i'd recommend pot as it is less risky than alcohol and alot better
cool.gif
You may want to try salvia too! (legal psychedelic drug!!) It is not as extreme as shrooms, on shrooms you can trip for an hour or two, on salvia you will only trip for 10minutes. So don't worry about a bad trip!

And everything is bad if you abuse it, not only drugs

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back