Design Poll

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

What's your opinion about FTV's design?

• It's a piece of art. FTV is my role model for design.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's okay. Comparable to other sites out there.

• Works for me, but could be better.

• I don't care what FTV looks like because it works for me.

• Bleh. You should take a few lessons from ...

• Ugly as a stick. What were you thinking?!

• Total voters

daft27

-nya
Retired
Just looking for some feedback, thanks.

Feedback, eh? Well, as far as functionality goes, I'd say the site with pretty dang stellar, especially with some of these nice tweaks that have been going on these past couple months.

But I don't know if I'm a fan of the pink/baby blue theme going on... but I've got to say it's a lot better than most anime-based websites I can think of. In fact, I can't really even think of an anime-based website that looks nearly as good... but I'm no otaku, either
tongue.gif

I've always loved the layout of the forums here. A lot better than sites like anime-eden. I didn't really like that layout. Everything seemed too big in too small a space. But as for the rest of the site, well, I don't really use the rest of the site too much. I download from elsewhere and only come here for the great community.

I personally like the design; but there's always room for improvement. I said "It's okay. Comparable to other sites out there.", though IMO it's a bit better than most others.
One thing I'd really like to see is different themes so that I can customize the look (the baby-blue is okay, but I'd like to see a darker looking theme).

QUOTE (dchaosblade @ Feb 03 2008, 04:47 PM) One thing I'd really like to see is different themes so that I can customize the look (the baby-blue is okay, but I'd like to see a darker looking theme).
hey-oh! A customizable interface would rock so badly, it would hurt! Choosing your color, homepage picture link...other stuff... would be AWESOME!!!
laugh.gif

the design & interface are already good, friendly user, & easy to maneuver... and yeah as dchaosblade-sama & EggBeast-san mentioned. it would be great if the skin chooser is enabled (or something like that).

but im not sure if a better appearance would be an advantage for all user. since because some user just using dial-up or somewhat slow internet connection, so maybe if this site is using "heavy" interface, it would annoyed them... so i think, it is also good to have "classic skin" (or something) that ease for those who using slow connection. and i'm not sure if this feature already have or not; i.e enable the user to "not to show signature or/and avatar" in the forum, since some avatar or signature could be big (file size) and could slow them down...

P/s: voted - It's okay. Comparable to other sites out there
keep up the good work !!! you have my full support
cool.gif
... thanx for reading and you're welcome!
happy.gif

EDIT: i dunno where to put this, but umm.. oh well...
sleep.gif

its about the "New Streams" section on the left portion of the main site, sometimes "inappropriate" XD new video shown up there and since this site might be review by various range of ages, which includes children & kiddos... where they shouldn't watch/exposed to them yet
dry.gif
... but its not easy to completely avoid things like that... ahaha...
laugh.gif

I'm not a fan of the homepage. It's unique, but seems a bit too long personally. It might just be the more vertical layout as opposed to horizontal. Or the fact that I never use the youtube feature and find it's just an annoyance blocking my from the latest downloads (along with that big recommendations pic)
tongue.gif

As for the forums, I think they're fine. They work. The colour is fairly neutral and not turning huge amounts of users away, and maybe style-wise they could use a few tweaks, but why mess with what works?

I think the placement of the advertisement bar is wonderful
as well as the block of youtube videos under neath the recomendation

without them the front page would look horribly crowded
(I perposely dont hide the advertisements when I'm on the site)

In relationship between the forum and the main site, Its good how the intesity of the color is the same but the color switches from red to blue

But it would be really cool in my opinion if the front page of the forum had a similar structure to the main page.

To me the current one is better then the blog one since it's a lot more neutral and the colors are eye friendly. Some site put on way too many colors and if you check the site several times it kinda get annoying so on that matter i think the site is godly however as everyone pointed out the youtube videos are annoying and honestly in the way.

I chose "It's okay. Comparable to other sites out there" since no site is perfect IMO but this site has a lot of very cool functions. I especially like the live TS update window.

i personally like our current design compared to the new one - as vice said the colours arent very eye friendly =/ the new one looks a bit weak to me too =/ it might be ok for old users but for new users they'll just skim and decide theres nothing worth while on this site cuz their eyes arent drawn to the page.

i also voted "It's okay. Comparable to other sites out there" but imo, this site is waayyy better than most O_O incidentally i joined another fourm (before this thread was made) and i was like 'ewww
ph34r.gif
horrible horrible design!!!' if you wanted to know - i have not visited that site since then
biggrin.gif
so far i've been to a few other places but FTV still ranks first place imo. so, to sum up:

FTV FTW
tongue.gif

Ps: please keep to the current design T_T i love it too much to see it go T_T but i'm not saying there's nothing wrong with it - i just love it too much, and am willing to over look the seriously minor flaws of the design.

hella ugly, seriously, what were you thinking?
index2 ftw.

Overal I think it is great, and quite user friendly.

A few things that can be improved:
- option in choosing forum skins (more colours and anime icons in each sub-forums? )
- front page can be made more interactive (e.g: instead of just list of lines in "popular", "browse", and etc tabs, would be great if we can have an anime icons on it)
- optional website backgrund (anime background?)

Basically, what I said is improvement in pictures and colors. XD But for effectiveness, I think it is already awesome.
happy.gif

The forum part of the site, i think its good, its smooth and flows, plus it works. So im happy with that side of things,

My only gripe however is the main page, there is a major difference imo between the forum layout and mainpage. The MP seems a bit too cluterted if any thing, i dont download from here, i go to other sites, im just here for the disscussion. So its not like it botheres me too much since i dont download, but you do have to admit that it is slightly ugly..... plus the Youtube links are lame imo

QUOTE (Hiasubi @ Feb 25 2008, 06:09 AM) My only gripe however is the main page, there is a major difference imo between the forum layout and mainpage. The MP seems a bit too cluterted if any thing, i dont download from here, i go to other sites, im just here for the disscussion. So its not like it botheres me too much since i dont download, but you do have to admit that it is slightly ugly..... plus the Youtube links are lame imo
If nobody has any gripes about removing the YouTube links, I think we can go ahead and do that sometime. The YouTube links have done their job for the time being and can be relocated / refocused elsewhere.

Iunno, I kinda like the youtube links, not to mention the rest of the design of the website. Due to the youtube links, I've found many interesting AMVs, funny videos, etc that I otherwise wouldn't have ever seen. Further, I think the whole front page looks pretty good - and if you took things like youtube out, I think it would start to look kinda...empty...

The biggest source of improvement IMO would be forum skins and/or website backgrounds. I've said this several times in various places, but I really would like to see a darker theme/skin for the forums. All white and baby blue is just too bright for my tastes - I've always leaned towards darker themes. Only exception is my blog (for now) simply because it's the best looking theme IMO for a widescreen display. Eventually, I'll fix up the coding to make the background a darker color though methinks.

The problem I have with the youtube videos is that they aren't site related, so I don't understand why they're in such a central place on the mainpage. Sure, if youtube videos are your thing it's something fun to have, but I come to the mainpage to download anime - and the downloads are further down than anything else. It makes more sense to have the blog advert, or an anime preview up there than random youtube videos.

And I'll echo Hiasubi on the lack of aesthetics ... I think it could be better, and with an easier navigation. I still have trouble finding stuff on it sometimes due to the amount of side links. If anyone was up for the task of coding it all, drop down menus would be nice. It would hide the clutter of links, but make things accessible. So you could have the option "browse anime" and when it opened up, a full list or each genre. (I talk big, but know it takes knowledge and time to do that!)

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back