D. Gray-man

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE (Emi-chan @ Jun 09 2009, 01:20 PM) Most likely the anime would of continued and ended properly if the manga had been finished yet it wasn't and they started catching up to an unfinished manga.
Make no mistakes there.

No it was not "cancelled because they caught up".

They had a lot more to work with and to insert fillers into.

However it was cancelled because "DVD sales and tv ratings were bad". The Timeslot was "sold" to Bleach and D.Gray-man got Inuyasha-ed way before its time.

SO no it won't ever continue as anime. OVA some day maybe, but not now.

FIN means just that.

That's been a small debate for awhile, whether it was canceled due to low ratings or because they were closing in on the manga.

I think it may have been both, that and because of the distance between the story and the anime, perhaps they didn't want to destroy the anime with fillers and give it a decent end. Although a disappointment, it was a decent fin. I haven't come across anything official about the ratings or sales though.

I see..that's why they stop the manga and ended the anime sooner...i feel a bit disappointed though..where the good parts came it also ended...
sad.gif

Either way, as I said several posts earlier, I'll be missing D.Gray-Man. So much more than other shounens like Bleach or Naruto (provided they shared the same fate). D had this something, a mystery that would keep me interested even when there were fillers around.

I hope for an ova to come soon as the manga (even tho it's been put on hold yet again these days) is getting more and more interesting with Allen becoming his other self - The Reminisence of 14th . Something to look forward too. Plus it's not like in other shounens when ultra strong enemy (like Level 4 ex) once beaten becomes fresh meat for main heroes the next time they fight... On the contrary Allen n co had had a tough time fighting another level 4 lately...

Well the thing that destroys ratings are self repeating and lowsy plot. Here the plot was good but feeling of "I have seen this before" was at every episode. They kept saying the same lines and using the same tactics. Characters didnt develope even if their skills developed and because of that it felt like big emo-parade.

Kinda sad If they could have made it even more fast moving(drop some 10 episodes by removing stupid stuff from between cossips/fights and add some more emotions to character(maybe some love, braveness and real despair(maybe someone could have actually died?)). Characters felt that if they werent grinning they were sad, sad or just doing stuff because they had to.

This serie could have had great potential but few flaws didnt matc for prime audiences in japan. Hopefully the manga will keep on going and author will stay in health(he allready had to have over month vacation).

Maybe not OVA but if manga gets more readers and better grades it might go like: "3 years later from fighting the first rank 4 demon...they finally are losing last hopes..and this is their final battle..". And from there they could skip years worth manga and try again after having more gracefull period at polls. Hopefully something like this could happen since I bet many prefered this since bleach/naruto keeps on going and going
happy.gif

Why cant they end their series when they are still on winning(well naruto manga still wins but like bleach have been in same situation since christmas).

QUOTE (Majeh @ Jun 11 2009, 01:53 AM) (well naruto manga still wins).
This just destroyed any credibility your post would have had
laugh.gif

And yes manga is quite popular. Its the same situation as how it was with Claymore - manga would get into "top10 sold" quite often, while anime had incredibly low ratings, dvd sales and interest rate.

I just like to think that it is because manga readers are more mature than haruhist anime watchers aka, mainstream anime watchers in japan.

QUOTE (Anybody @ Oct 03 2008, 06:54 AM) 155-156 is the end of LVL4 battle.You can start reading from there, since last half of episode was manga scenes from various future chapters stuffed as appetizer.
Well, I'll be damned.
rolleyes.gif
I am almost done with this one. Up to episode 80, at the moment. I have enjoyed it so far with the exception of a few boring episodes. Interesting to read everyone's take on it and I do agree....after around episode 65, it has started to get really good for me.
wink.gif
Glad to know what manga chapter I can start at, after I finish the anime. I had to smile when I read how the ending was compared to Inuyasha's...that of a so-called incomplete ending. And to think Inuyasha will soon wrap up period...but I dropped that one since I found Inuyasha round two, quite boring. Now, if in some possible way, kawaii Allen Walker should ever come back into my anime filled life...I'm in!
tongue.gif

QUOTE (ImTakes @ Mar 03 2010, 06:01 PM) I have enjoyed it so far with the exception of a few boring episodes.
You mean the first 51 or 52 episodes of the series
tongue.gif
, which was essentially all filler.

QUOTE And to think Inuyasha will soon wrap up period...but I dropped that one since I found Inuyasha round two, quite boring.
The pacing is poor and I'll admit that. Had it been a 50 episode series, I'd say they could have easily made it feel like the one from 2000-2004 where things were solidly developed.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Mar 03 2010, 05:30 PM) You mean the first 51 or 52 episodes of the series
tongue.gif
, which was essentially all filler.

The pacing is poor and I'll admit that. Had it been a 50 episode series, I'd say they could have easily made it feel like the one from 2000-2004 where things were solidly developed.
Well, since I had not really heard of this anime, until recently, how was I to know I was being fed fillers, Kit?
wink.gif
But when I started reading some of the commentary in here, I realized why I was bored at times, but at least, I grew to like/know many of the characters and understand a bit about that evil and pesky Earl. Interesting, about what all of you are saying with regards to the fillers, though. I know most of us are accustomed to being treated to a great start, a snooze-fest middle, and then an ending, that leaves us all hoping for more. I guess, this one did it the other way around. It seems some think the ending was satisfactory while others do not...I will come back and give my opinion, after I am done.
tongue.gif

Well, what can I say that has not perhaps, already been said? The ending left many unanswered questions and yet, a good start to what will be my reading the manga. Was nice to see the deadly charmer, Lord Myki still alive, thanks to the power of the Earl. The Earl? The dark Lord? He sure looks good too... all slimmed down and what not.
wink.gif
Hum...I have my suspicions about many of the characters who were in the background...Howard Link, for one. But no point in delving into that here, I will learn more, I am sure, once I start the manga. Many thanks to JunMisugi and grdel-san, for their help and info, regarding the manga...
All in all, a nice wrap up to that murderous arc...~Fini~
tongue.gif

I've seen a lot of Anime and I personally think this is one of the best I've seen so far. I've encountered many fans who've compared the series to either Full Metal Alchemist or Bleach but I'm not as biased as that. I tend to watch an Anime and enjoy it for what it is and let the story unfold then decide whether I liked it or not. I've always heard about D Grayman from forums and Anime listings online and heard mixed reviews about it but I hate taking other people's opinion about a certain thing and let that comprise my own judgment without further personal research. I try to stay away from finding too much congruity between opposing series just to simply brush it off as another "spin-off."

Originality is quite rare nowadays, I doubt most of the mainstream Anime was burgeoned from pure creativity, many characters from popular titles remind me of previous characters I've encountered whether they be from Japanese manga/Anime or western/eastern titles. Perhaps some characters were created but unintentionally emulate characters from other Anime or stories. It's a personal conjecture but I'm pretty certain many of these popular characters are. I'm still reading the manga of D. Grayman but the Anime was pretty good. I don't agree with those who say the first 50 episodes were fillers and nonsensical because they provided some background on some of the characters. Personally I liked the deaths in this Anime, it delineates that human life is fragile and death is an irreversible process, also when characters are injured it takes time before they can recuperate completely. The damage isn't obstructed by a magical bean or some ephemeral, supernatural being that amazingly cures the character.

I also think the characters (even if they seemed like spin offs from others) were quite unique and interesting. Allen Walker kept me interested and the others fascinated me just as much and this is my personal opinion, others may not agree and I respect that. Millenium Earl was a pretty entertaining antagonist, although he looks like a clown with over sized teeth, it's that cheery side of him that makes him creepy AND esoteric from cliched villains who are often sinisterly enigmatic. I'm pretty disappointed it ended the way it did but I liked it nonetheless, the entirety of the Anime and I would re-watch it after I've seen the others on my roster.

Again this is my personal opinion and telling me otherwise won't alter my views, then again each series is perceived on varying notes, discerning different things. I personally liked it. That's all to it.

Does annyone have new information about this anime
biggrin.gif

I have seen the anime a long time ago but i shoked
ohmy.gif
blink.gif
by the end and was hooped for a ova or something to make a nice ending for this anime. Somebudy anny information for me i really liked the anime.

QUOTE (Vinnymen @ Apr 12 2010, 02:30 AM) Does annyone have new information about this anime
biggrin.gif

I have seen the anime a long time ago but i shoked
ohmy.gif
blink.gif
by the end and was hooped for a ova or something to make a nice ending for this anime. Somebudy anny information for me i really liked the anime.
Go read manga. From chapter 155(which is the end of anime).

There are no OVAs or series planned. The anime is dead.

It is too bad we couldn't figure out the hermetic past that lies behind Allen Walker as the 14th Noah nor Mana's mystery. Another thing that intrigues me is Kanda's chest Tattoo which significantly provides him the ability to recover quickly.

Oh, and one more thing , the Earl said at the end of the final episode that he made a new "Egg". In his company there was another long haired Noah that never appeared before ( nah , not Tikki ) , which pretty much supports my theory of the existence of 14 Noah , if not more.

Really , the studios in Japan should reconsider taking this project. A lot of fans are looking forward to. I know I am.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back