Compare specs

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedroth

-oni
Retired
The topic says it all, post your computer specs here and and make fun of those who got a computer worse the yours
tongue.gif

Here's mine:
AMD 3500+
2024 Corsair/Kingston Ram
GeForce 7800 GT 256 MB
160 GB IDE Harddrive
250 GB Sata Harddrive
Hanson 17 CRT
Chieftec midi tower case
MSI Neo4 Motherboard
8x DVD-burner
52x CD-burner
500 watt PSU

Asus P4S800D
512 Ram
Gigabyte Geforce 6600gt
200gt IDE harddrive
IBM 21 crt
wink.gif

Lanboy case
450w PSU
16x DVD-burner
tongue.gif

hmm , thats getting a little too technical for me there , well let`s see
amd sempron 2200+ (dont underestimate this, it`s onehell of a beast!)
512 mb RAM
Radeon 9600 something, lol
-----
oh yeah , and 2 40 gb hard drives =)

My main desktop:
- Intel P4 3.0Ghz, Prescot core (unfortunatly, I previously had a northwood, but it was stolen
sad.gif
!) with HyperThread
- 1024Mb DDR400 dual channel memory
- Dual 120Gb hard drive mounted in hardware stripping
- 80 Gb IDE drive (preatty handy for linux patitions)
- Radeon 9550
- LG GSA-4163 DVD-burned
- Lite On, low end DVD reader (for all daily cd needs!)
- ViewSonic 19' monitor

The other day, I happend to walk in a store. Do you belive they still sell computers with 128mb of ram! Sure they dont cost a lot, but trying to run XP with 128mb is just suicide!

People buy that thinking its going to be a bargain, but if they added a little bit more money, they would have ended up with a machine that would have lasted more time. Personnaly, I always buy my machines with at least a 5 years lifetime. Otherwise, its not worth it! You just continiously spend money even is its smaller amount, its more regularly.

Your board is not that bad, it supports 800FSB and DDR400 (4 slots) if I were you, I would simply invest in a bit more memory. (a pair of 256Mb or 512Mb Dimms are going to get you to a decent amount of memory to do anything with that machine) Of ourse, it also depends on the processor, what is it?
Sure its not the brand new and latest, but its still pretty decent.

Oh and by the way, if I was you I would stay away from chipsets made by VIA or Sis (like the one you have) in the future. They are know to have "varying" quality in the manufacturing process. So you never know if you are going to get a really good chip or one that will fail very soon. Stick with intels and NVidia chipset.

For those looking for a new machine, here is an interesting review about the new dual core processors. If I worked at Intel, I would be ashame for many reasons!
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-1.html?tag=lnav

QUOTE (Bouzip @ Dec 10 2005, 10:47 AM)prosessor...cpu? 2.4Ghz
yes, the processor is the cpu (central processing unit).

BTW, that Ghz speed is one of the least important characteristic. Front side bus speed and amount of cache and internal architecture are more important.

Front side bus is usally called FSB on the box. It can be 800-533-400 for the Pentium4
Cache is some times marked as L2 cache. Could be 128k (only on very early P4 version, very rare), 512k or 1mb.

If your machine is a P4 with a 800FSB and 512k or 1mb of cache, investing in a brand new machine might not be worth it. You could probably pay less to for a few upgrades here and there and keep that machine for some more time.

Its facinating how some computer reaseller have succeded in implanting the idea in people that a computer is only going to be good for 1 or 2 years. When properly configured, a computer can last a lot longer than that (and I mean without frustrating the user because his machine is too slow!!)
Of course, there are some exceptions. People in graphic design and heavy math calculatons never have enough processing power! But for the regular domestic market (word processing, games, internet, etc), you can make intelligent choices that are going to last for some times.

I won't go into details, here are my spec's (in simple)

P4 3,4Ghz (with Hyperthreading)
1Gb DDR 400 (CL2,5)
3x 160Gb HDD (Sata)
Temperary Geforce 6600GT 256Mb (for some strange reason my 7800GTX wasn't working correctly after a few months, so waiting for a new one)
Sound Blaster X-fi
Plextor dvd player
Plexter Dual Layer DVD burner

p4 3.0Ghz (with Hyperthreading)
512 DDR 400
200Gb HDD
Radeon 9800XXL
Multi Format DVD/CD writer
WLAN
Tv/radio tuner card

Here's my current system. I built it a year and a half ago(Summer '04). Runs really well...except I need a new videocard.

AMD Athlon XP Barton 2600+ @ 1.91Ghz
Abit NF7-S v2.0 Motherboard (w/ a nicer Vantec Northbridge Chipset Fan because Abit's fans suck and break a month after you buy their boards. The boards are nice though. Yes, my boards warranty was voided when I installed the fan, and I don't care. It has run a year and a half now with no fan issues! Vantech = win XD)
Builtin Ethernet
Builtin Sound
512 Kingston DDR 400 @ 333
80Gb WesternDigital 8Mb Cache HardDrive
Lite-On CDRW
Lite-On Double Layer DVDRW/CDRW
Belkin Wireless card
Random 56k Modem
GeForce 4 MX 440 <----OLD videocard...too poor to afford a new one T.T

I also own an AMD K6-2 @ 500Mhz that is currently in pieces in my room. I may rebuild it and use it as a server in the future.
smile.gif

And why is that?

Upgrade's i am getting next month.

3Gb DDR memory instead of 1Gb
650 Watt bigfan powersupply instead of 480
Ati Radeon X1800Xt 512Mb instead of the GF 6600GT (instead of getting my old 7800GTX back, it's nice to have worked in a computer store
biggrin.gif
but i have to wait a full month for it)

And i get everything with a discount, i don't pay tax on the prizes
biggrin.gif

Forgot to post my monitor: Samsung Syncmaster BF930 19"

QUOTE (Dragon-of-Rune @ Dec 11 2005, 03:27 AM) 3Gb DDR memory instead of 1Gb
650 Watt bigfan powersupply instead of 480
Ati Radeon X1800Xt 512Mb instead of the GF 6600GT (instead of getting my old 7800GTX back, it's nice to have worked in a computer store
biggrin.gif
but i have to wait a full month for it)
Bastard!! Now i'll have to kill u...

QUOTE (Bold @ Dec 10 2005, 10:08 AM) Its facinating how some computer reaseller have succeded in implanting the idea in people that a computer is only going to be good for 1 or 2 years. When properly configured, a computer can last a lot longer than that (and I mean without frustrating the user because his machine is too slow!!)
Absolutely true. I'm using a 500MHz Celeron still, ATI 32MB All in Wonder, 17" trinitron, the machine is 7 years old now (cpu about 4 years old I think) and yet it is still fine for most uses. I can play fansubs full screen at max. resolution with no problem (ffdshow helps!), the only exception being H.264 and HDTV stuff like the Meyrin Kamichu! subs, which played at around 15fps - but then some people with modern machines struggled with those too.
However video encoding at 4fps really sucks so I'm going to upgrade soon so I can do more fansubbing, also this will let me play HDTV and H.264. Otherwise the machine would still be fine.

Something I've heard is some graphics cards can't cope with HDTV because 2D performance is being neglected by manufacturers (this emerged when people couldn't get Kamichu 1280x720 to play smoothly despite having quite fast machines) so I wondered, as I might want a new card when I upgrade, can anyone say which ones can cope with HDTV Xvid playback, since you never hear such stuff mentioned in reviews. The only useful thing I've been able to find out is that Geforce cards don't give as sharp an image at 1600x1200 as ATI cards (I need a sharp hi res image for photo editing).

QUOTE (Daedroth @ Dec 11 2005, 02:41 AM) Bastard!! Now i'll have to kill u...
Well i could also at another memory bank of 1Gb to make it 4Gb (then all slots are filled) and at another 160Gb sata hdd to fill that last slot aswell
biggrin.gif
. But i think i will do that somewhere in the near future when i got some more money.

As a IT student and gamer i need a high end system. But that will be the last upgrade i do for the next 12 to 15 months i hope
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Dragon-of-Rune @ Dec 11 2005, 04:16 AM) Well i could also at another memory bank of 1Gb to make it 4Gb (then all slots are filled) and at another 160Gb sata hdd to fill that last slot aswell
biggrin.gif

Guess i'll have to add some torture too...

holy crapzors to all ur amped video cards -.-.
i dont think im gonna post my specs with all this onboard garbage.
4GB of DDR ram. now that is crazy. four slots rite? i wonder when theyll come out with like 5GB sticks. then we mite hav the same amount of ram as memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back