Compare specs

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.
QUOTE (Dragon-of-Rune @ Dec 12 2005, 04:17 PM) I also have a remote control for my pc, i got it for free when i got Windows Xp Media ( i tested it for a store to see if it's useable for high end gaming pc's, then answer is NO. Because you get Blue Screens of Death everytime you want to close a game or use some options in other games. Only old games from the time of W98 runs without a problem) Watch out. There is actually 3 version of XP media center. 2001, 2003 and 2005.

2001 is really bad. It has all sorts of bug.
2003 is preatty stable. Its actually an XP pro with some added features (like the player and remote support).
I have not really tested 2005 yet. But if you have a domain watch out. MS decided to remote the option to join a domain from XP media witout telling anybody about it!

QUOTE (Tomo)I don't belong here~ dry.gif *walking slow while leaving the thread* XD heheh~ You can still hand out with us. After all we are a friendly buch of crazy people!!

QUOTE (devast )Some time ago a weird person said "640kb ought to be enough for anybody. That is actually one of my favorite quote! Space is like many thinks in computers, you always find use for it. I have 240Gb on my machine. In the start, I was thinking, it was a lot. Now, I find it fits my need, but its definatly not so huge.
To think that the first computer I touch only had 7 1/4 inch floppy (about 300Kb, if my memory is corect)! I taught they were cool! You could bent them and use them for all sorts of funny things. Of course at the time, I was only 3 years old ...

Brings back memories... my first pc was a 386sx or something like that with 4mb memory and 170Mb hard drive
biggrin.gif
and a 14" shit display. I played a lot so i always ended up with a headache at the end of the day
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
My eyes are special, i still don't need glasses
smile.gif

QUOTE (devast @ Dec 13 2005, 02:24 PM) Brings back memories... my first pc was a 386sx or something like that with 4mb memory and 170Mb hard drive
biggrin.gif
and a 14" shit display. I played a lot so i always ended up with a headache at the end of the day
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

My first PC was also a 386 with 4mb memory and 150Mb HDD, with a 14" dual color display (green and black) i played prince of persia 1 and 2 all day long on it and later on i played Commander Keen (kick ass game from the past)

QUOTE (devast @ Dec 13 2005, 08:24 AM)Brings back memories... my first pc was a 386sx or something like that with 4mb memory and 170Mb hard drive
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

My first PC was a DEC Rainbow. It did not have a hard drive (only a pair of 7 1/4 floppies), a black and yellow display (about 11 or 12 inch) and I have no idea of the memory but I am preatty sure it was in Kb (dont forget, I was only 3 years old at the time!)

After that, we got a 386DX (that means with math coprocessor) a HUGE 32mb of ram and the disk got upgraded a few times. At the end, it had about 12Gb of drive. Yes 12Gb on a 386. That machine was actually running Windows 95 and Office 97. It got changed for a Pentium3.

Actually, we kept the disks that were in it and transfered them to the P3. You should have seen the face of the guy when we opened up the machine at the computer shop. When he was told we were keeping the disks of the old machine and say the 386, he was like, its propably not worth it ... When case was lifted and he was told that Windows 95 was actually running quite well in there he was saying something like : "OMG!!! You are kidding right? Windows 95 cant run on a 386??!? What is that beast?!?!?!?!?"

So when I say that computers can last a long time, trust me. I'm an expert at prolonging the life of a machine
wink.gif

Well yeah you are, i'm learning some things about you too
tongue.gif

btw, wanna upgrade my computer? no money paid xD

Some years earlier a CD player was luxury... technology changes really quickly nowdays.... anyway 386 => p3 is a huge jump, imo it's too big
smile.gif
i've got p2-350 (my first own comp) after the 386, after that i'm upgrading nonstop but not the whole thing just components. And i bought an smp system not too long ago yay
smile.gif
dual p2-400 with scsi controller etc, i just do not have the mood nowdays to play with gentoo on it
smile.gif
gentoo = the best OS out there
tongue.gif

i still have my first pc...it was a present from my uncle...

900 Mhz AMD
128MB RAM (Now upgraded to 256 and ordered 512 more, yeah
biggrin.gif
)
15GB HDD (Now added an 80GB hdd..too small for anime
mad.gif
/ 3 partitions...Casper, Melchior & Balthasar
tongue.gif
)
hmm...
dvd drive...
dvdrw drive...
floppy....
monitor...
2.1 sound system
cool.gif

wlan, bluetooth.....infrared...

did i forgot something?

...winamp
smile.gif

i'll just say that it's a dell demension 3600. you can figure out the rest.

umm Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop
512 mb ram
cpu 3.06 gh
40 gb memory
umm..... wireless card
mobile intel pentium
windows xp
umm mobility radeon 9000

i'm not sure wat half the stuff means..... but i got my comp like 2.5 years ago
biggrin.gif

lol really? i got my computer last year, a month before christmas. this year my uncle's gonna pump it up by adding some more rams, memory, and fortunately a new video graphic card...he owns most of the good ones. hopefully he gives me the one that's not on the shelves yet... Radeon GFX ZERO i think it's called.

12Mhz 286, 10MB HD, 4MB RAM....$2 w00t!

16Mhz 286 Laptop <---never worked, but I salvaged its 40MB HD and Floppy and put them in the 386SX....not bad for $5

33Mhz 386SX, 40MB HD, 16MB RAM, Floppy, Windows 3.11...$20

50Mhz 486, 80MB HD, 16MB RAM, Floppy, 8x CDROM, Windows 3.11...Free from a friend

500Mhz AMD K6-2...CPU and Mobo Free from an uncle...other stuff like VooDoo 3 2000 were not so free
dry.gif
Win95 and 98se. Not sure how much it all cost me.

(Current)1.91Ghz AMD AthlonXP 2600+ and other much newer stuff
biggrin.gif
WinXP w/sp2. Not sure how much it all cost me as well. I upgrade here and there every oncce in a while.

I'm not building another comp for quite a while. My budget is tight and I make my machines last.
wink.gif

QUOTE (Chiba @ Dec 25 2005, 11:41 PM) I'm not building another comp for quite a while. My budget is tight and I make my machines last.
wink.gif

Thats the spirit! Spending money needlessly and constantly on a computer is a bad thing. I always prefer the "think before you buy then make it last for many years" approach.

This way you end up with a great machine when you actually buy it. And you can afford to spend a bit more on it since you know its going to be used for many years.

QUOTE (Daedroth)I just bought 2 gb more ram, now i have 4 gb ram biggrin.gif I dont want to blow your buble, but do you actually use those 4Gb?? I mean unless you are doing some very intensive processing jobs, like masive 3d models with lots of textures, you will never use that much. Check the perfomance tab in the task manager. There is a value in there called "peak" that is the largest amount of memory used by your computer since it is on.

Most people would be fine with 1Gb. If you have the budget, 2Gb is the way togo. Above that, it is only for very special use (if you are this kind of person, you know!)
Plus, for regular users, you can wait a few years. The price of memory will come down.

QUOTE (Bold @ Dec 26 2005, 06:52 AM) I dont want to blow your buble, but do you actually use those 4Gb??
The reason i bought more ram was to get a better computer then DoR's
tongue.gif

I love it when i got the best computer!
biggrin.gif

i want more money too~ well, time to look for a job
tongue.gif
need better comp, new server comp, and so on :/

the only thing i need is a fast internet connection and a big hdd...
biggrin.gif

my lame computer is enough for downloading/watching (though i use the x-box for that...) anime so the computer is good enough...
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back