BSOD with more than 2gb of ram

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Primula

-プリムラ こいびと
Retired
Sigh trying to resolve this issue I have....with my regular 2gb of ram Stable added the extra 2gb of ram I just got..CRASHES.... Ram are the same model and all but it still BSOD. I update my Bio to the latest that not a Beta. Update my video card driver...but roll back it because of some issue I had with it... i updated my audio driver and that where im left with...

2 of the BSOD had 0x000000D1 one with the audio driver sys and SCSIPORT.SYS

I had this error before I had updated some of these stuff

0x0000008E

sigh I did alot of researching but nothing solve it...

anyone have any clue that could be the problem?

These Ram pass Memtest+ together and by them self.

QUOTE (Kansatsusha-sama @ May 13 2009, 06:19 PM) Sigh trying to resolve this issue I have....with my regular 2gb of ram Stable added the extra 2gb of ram I just got..CRASHES.... Ram are the same model and all but it still BSOD. I update my Bio to the latest that not a Beta. Update my video card driver...but roll back it because of some issue I had with it... i updated my audio driver and that where im left with...

2 of the BSOD had 0x000000D1 one with the audio driver sys and SCSIPORT.SYS

I had this error before I had updated some of these stuff

0x0000008E

sigh I did alot of researching but nothing solve it...

anyone have any clue that could be the problem?

These Ram pass Memtest+ together and by them self.
Try putting the new ram in a different slot. Sometimes the computer requires that multiple dimms be put into certain slots for it to work correctly. Also check to see that the motherboard allows for that much memory. Older motherboards can't handle that much.

Also is the computer overclocked in any way? This could lead to stability issues when new hardware is added.

Is it two 1GB sticks or one 2GB stick? If it's two 1GB's, try just adding one of the two.

Also suggest removing your old RAM and see if the new RAM alone still causes a crash.

motherboard can take up to 8gb of ram

also each ram is 1gb each

No overclocks

Note: I have 4 Stick of 1gb of ram 2 gb was uses when I built the computer awhile back and 2 more stick of 1gb was recently bought of the same model

I havent tried putting my original stick i been using on one side and the new one on the other side like 1,2 with old ram and 3,4 with the new ram. I didnt try testing with new ram alone either.

Currently testing with new ram by themself with winamp on and rainmeter see how long it will take before crash or all problem lied when 4gb is altogether

What brand, specs, voltage, and density (ie. dual sided or single sided ram parts) are they?

Also, other relevant information like your:

CPU/Processor: brand, make, specs, voltage
Motherboard: brand, make, socket type
Power Supply: brand, make, wattage, and amp rating for +12v, +5v, and +3.3v
Video card: brand, make, driver version
Sound card: brand make, driver version
Operating System (ie. Windows XP/Vista, Linux, MacOS?): Service packs installed?

Once we have the above information we may be able to help you better. After putting the working set of 2gb (2 x 1gb modules) in, start up your system, and try to run something like Sisoft Sandra, which will give you your system specs.

Also, once you have the working pair installed, run some Prime95, to test for system instability, to make sure it is not somewhere else in your system that is flaky. I'll post again sometime tomorrow after work.
ph34r.gif

First question is what OS and service pack i assume windows?

Windows XP (32bit) cannot support more than 2Gb of ram, and Vista requires Service pack 1 before it can support more than 3GB.

As the blue screens are showing different drivers I do not think this is an issue with those devices, more likly the ram is corrupting the data and whatever happens to be in that bit gets the blame for the crash.

Are the ram modules compatable? They should be the same speed, CAS, type and parity/ecc or not. Also if your using a dual channel motherbaord you need to ensure they follow the channels, ie the 2 old ones are in say channel 1 and the 2 new ones are in channel 2. Depends on m/b etc on this.

Did your mem test test all the modules in at once? also I think memtest is Linux based right?

Ok it confirm that my new ram run great by themself....

Im pretty sure everything on my system is compatible especially since it been running since built for more than 1 year.

If you gotta know the spec some more...

MB from newegg
Gigabyte, EP35CDS3R More Info
Current Bio version F3 Not going to use F4 because it a beta
Latest Audio Driver off Motherboard web Driver version 5.10.0.5793

Ram from newegg
old and new ram
OCZMore Info
Only different with the ram is that it was a year later or so and it look like they change the circuit board of the ram color.

Processor from newegg
Quad Core q6600 More Info

PS from newegg
OCZ GamexStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W More Info

Videocard from Circuit City
EVGA 7600GT GDDR3 256mb More Info
Model number is different than the one on the site but pretty much everything else on the site is the same.
Driver install file was 181.22 but version in computer say 6.14.11.8122

Never repurchase my sound card....>.> lighting surge hate you....

Windows XP Pro SP3 With all the latest update install...except Window live essiental and a lan driver i think.... my internet working great so im not going to mess with that update it only optional anyway. As the saying go If it aint broke dont fix it.

Windows XP 32bit does support more than 2gb of ram my old desktop is proof it was running with 2.5gb of ram The onlything 32bit system do is that it wont display all the 4gb...like mine did...it show 3.5 which still ok with me..then it crash after some application stress test...

From looking at what Prime95 is since there no overclocking there no need to use it unless it can be useful for other things?

All setting made to match what it shown in it specs. So pretty much everything left on auto except if it didnt match the spec on the cpu for instant i had to bump it up to match what my cpu say it run not sure if I did that with the ram.

I did not Memtest with slot 2 and 4 all test was done under slot 1 and 3....cant do any test under the DDR3 slot...since I have none lol...All Ram pass tests although I didn't had to test my old one...but I did and they pass when I tested it when I had receive my bad ram...that I had to RMA with the new ram I currently have.

Also it was set like that Maiku_Ando for the seating of ram. Im unable to run Memtest with all stick at once as it wont run and unsure if it linux base since I didnt research that lol if i see certain icon I usually know though lol...usually most testing tool r linux base not all though

Btw System Information give your computer spec...even though i know all the spec of my computer without it since I built it Plus System Properties display some of the spec too lol =P

Also I yet to try to set the ram at 800mhz instead of 1066 checking some website the speed isnt noticeable if I do that so if that help I might try that.

You can try increasing the voltage to your RAM or changing the CAS latency/timings on the ram. Are you also putting the ram into the right slots? For example, a lot of dual channel configurations require paired ram in slots 1 & 3, 2 & 4. In your case with a 6 slot DDR2/DDR3 board, it might be 1 & 4, 2 & 5. If you put any ram into slots 4-6, it might have to be identical the corresponding slots in 1-3.

QUOTE (daft27 @ May 14 2009, 08:58 AM)You can try increasing the voltage to your RAM or changing the CAS latency/timings on the ram. Are you also putting the ram into the right slots? For example, a lot of dual channel configurations require paired ram in slots 1 & 3, 2 & 4. In your case with a 6 slot DDR2/DDR3 board, it might be 1 & 4, 2 & 5. If you put any ram into slots 4-6, it might have to be identical the corresponding slots in 1-3.
I yet to try increasing the voltage since the bio volage have it set at the recommend one already 2.1 ahtough there more number after the 1... lol The recommend voltage is say 2.1-2.3 so I guess I can add .1 voltage without going over 2.3. I yet to try changing the timing since in the bios it set to extreme to have it on the right setting although I believe if I set it to Standard it will set my ram to 800Mhz with 444 timing. I didnt count slot 3 and 6 as one of my slot number since I have no DDR3 but if I were to count them in yes i had my old ram in 1,4 and new ram in 2,5.

------------------------------
Edit
I change one setting the Extreme setting I been running on in bio I set that 2 Standard with everything else left to auto.

Now my computer on testing it.
Making Dont say lazy ending playing in a loop looking through images, testing zip file extraction, rar archiving, opening of applications,

so far so good... let yall know if it crashes Imma make it do this for awhile.

sigh 4gb...sees 3.5...oh well work for me lol

------------------------
AND IT CRASH.... I left everything alone but change the paging file setting see if that make a different since i read something in the crash BSOD

the crash still had the 0x000000D1 code but with the USBPORT.SYS this time and with the new paging file setting it did the old code again 0x0000008E =/

QUOTE (Maiku_Ando @ May 15 2009, 05:11 AM) Dont know if these maybe relevant for you or not, both cover your stop error codes.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916595

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945658
the D1 error update file did nothing as I am on SP3 not SP2 so i prevent me to install.

and OneCare really suck and I did alot of scans already lol I know I have no virus at all...other than false positive...although that doesnt tell me why i cant change my wallpaper normally >.> lol Well the one for my 8E errors didnt help either.

Note: I yet to try adding more voltage.

PS i dont think there a way for me to make my thing to 800mhz so i have a few option to try left lol.

I think I magically got a BIG CLUE!!.... what does it mean that I cant run memtest86+ on just my slot 2 port like no ram in be slot 2 if that mean it a bad slot then i need to upgrade to ddr3 lol...and stop using my ddr2...or just use ddr2 stick with just 2gb in one stick already. lol

I had to do some research on if i can run the computer on a slot other than 1 or 3 lol... and others.

also can a dual channel ram kit have to be run in duel channel as in just use 3 of my stick

Dual channel sticks do not have to be run in tandem with another stick if I'm not mistaken - you can just run one stick of DDR2 RAM just like you can run 1 or 2 sticks of DDR3 RAM.

I wonder if your issue has to do with you trying to plug too much RAM for the OS (e.g. trying to plug in 4 GB RAM in Windows XP when XP x86 can only read 3 (if I'm not mistaken)).

It read 3.5 ram trust me it just crashes...lol

yea but Dual channel kit i just went over say dual channel run at the same speed at the design speed but when use as a single it speed is half so ugg...

Memtest86+ doesnt run though when I have a good ram in slot 2 I mean it doesnt not run like the blue screen of the memtest show but nothing running no testing. It run fine in slot 4 or 5 if u count the ddr3 slot as 3 and 6.

btw answer about memtest86 yes it is linux base but it like a mini linux built enough just to do a teest

Also too much ram would more than 8gb of ddr2 or 4gb or ddr3

Sounds like a bad connector. One of your slot may be damaged or someone did a poor design on that board. Check the connector if you can see any of the pins bent in it. If its a design issue, there is not much you can do about it.

Its not a dual channel issue. If you incorrectly pair the ram, it will run in single channel. In other words, it will only be slower, it won't crash the OS.

As for the memory limit, 32-bit processor support up to 4 GB of ram. But for various reasons, WinXP will usually only use between 3 to 3.5gb of the actual ram. But again, it won't cause a crash for the machine. Most people at work run with 4X1Gb stick on their boards, and there is no issue.

I am not sure I understood the comments about DDR2 vs DDR3. They are not compatible together, but since the little notch is not at the same place, you can't accidentally mix them together (unless maybe if you use a hammer to insert it!!)

Imma check the connector when i get home 5 hour later....that what i get having to buy the board again after that lighting surge on my other one >.<.

Also about the DDR2 and DDR3 my board support both type and i can choose which one I want to use.
-------------
well I check the slot I cant see anything noticeable that indicate there are bent pins

Mostlikely Imma label that as a bad slot unless anyone know what else it could be. Meaning if I want 4gb of ram in this system i need to get 4gbx2 rams and probaly run great after that lol

Ok Imma Label my Ram 2 slot as defective or bad slot thus making the issue. It make sense in a way because my ram that i had to RMA the good one did the BSOD when I had it in that slot.

I will seek to buy another set of ram either ddr2 or ddr3 of a 4gbx2 ram if issue arise again with those ram in slot 1 and 4 then I will request more help but if the ram bad i can handle that. Also try to figure out how to sell or trade my ram for that type.

Thread Closed

Thank for all those who try to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back