Books

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

What genre do you like?

• Sci fi/Fantasy(Space ships and magic)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Psychological(Symbolism and that mind stuff)

• Non fiction(Its all real to me!

• Mystery( Who is the killer?)

• Romance(Hearts aflutter)

• Short stories(Its gotta be short and sweet)

• I don't read( Because I can)

• Other( A LITTLE of everything or a couple,etc)

• Total voters
i just finished reading "atherton" by patrick carman. love his books. ive been reading a lot of children's and young adult's books lately. im about to read "the floating island" by elizabeth haydon.

went to the theater last week, i found out that one of my favorite book was made into a movie and will show this winter. its called " golden compass. " its trilogy. the ending of the book made me cry.
sad.gif

Right now I'm reading Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer. Its soooo good, I love this series. I normally stick with sci-fi/fantasy books. I love Sara Douglass and her series...so good. Let's not forget about Mercedes Lackey, too.

i really liked a lot of the books i had to read in school, just not the way teachers tend to muddle them up with their interpretations of those books. one of my favorites is "the house on mango street", but i absolutely hated it when reading it for class since my teacher always had this ridiculous explaination for every little detail.
i like books with social or historical perspectives. it sounds boring, i know, but it's actually not when it's in novel form. a few recommendations:

one hundred years of solitude - gabriel garcia marquez
mamzelle dragonfly - raphael confiant
distant star - roberto bolano
the poisonwood bible - barbara kingsolver

i'm also a big fan of terry pratchet's discworld series and a few of neil gaiman's novels (neverwhere!), and, of course, harry potter.

I'm going to see the golden compass as well in december...Its one of my favorite series ever Philip Pullman's and His Dark Materials Trilogy...I'm also a big fan of the Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy, the wheel of time series, the Vampire chronicles, and the Artemis Fowl series. And of course everything by Dan brown and a few stand alones count towards my favorites.

QUOTE (ZEPIDUS @ Aug 16 2007, 02:08 AM)I'm also a big fan of the Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy, the wheel of time series, the Vampire chronicles, and the Artemis Fowl series.

Ah I love the Garth Nix trilogy...actually saying that XD I still need to read the last one of the trilogy! Also, the vampire chronicles....do you mean the ones by Anne Rice because some of hers are awesome ^^. I love The Witching Hour by her...the sequels weeeerent so good mind.

QUOTE (chindogu @ Aug 16 2007, 12:58 AM)
i'm also a big fan of terry pratchet's discworld series and a few of neil gaiman's novels (neverwhere!), and, of course, harry potter.

Ack, I'm sorry...I cannot stand Harry Potter...its like one of the most popular books among adults/children now but to me, its writing is so childish and I found it unimaginative but then, each to their own XD

I seriously don't care about writing style( unless I'm writing) so I can read anything. So far I'm waiting for the Wheel of Time book 12 " Memory of Light" to come out.

QUOTE (electric_foetus @ Aug 16 2007, 05:20 PM)
Ah I love the Garth Nix trilogy...actually saying that XD I still need to read the last one of the trilogy! Also, the vampire chronicles....do you mean the ones by Anne Rice because some of hers are awesome ^^. I love The Witching Hour by her...the sequels weeeerent so good mind.

Ack, I'm sorry...I cannot stand Harry Potter...its like one of the most popular books among adults/children now but to me, its writing is so childish and I found it unimaginative but then, each to their own XD
Yea the ones by Anne Rice, she's great. I have to agree with you on Harry potter, after starting out on more mature fantasy's it's hard to go and read something as childlike as potter. I haven't read Anne's witch books yet, but im sure ill pick the first one up some time or another.

And you need to read the 3rd installment of abhorsen, it's my favorite book of all time.

Maybe I just have low literacy or something. I liked the Harry Potter books, didn't like the movies though.

On the other hand I didn't like the Lord of the Rings books and liked the movies. I got past the first few chapters of the first book in the trilogy and got bored, this was before the movies came out by the way. I was able to get through all of the Hobbit but didn't find it that great. This all happened before I found anime on the net or I wouldn't have been able to get through the hobbit either.

As for the wheel of time, maybe its because i am not a good guy (I am probably a jerk), but I didn't like it, mainly because I didn't like most of the female characters in the series.
biggrin.gif

I didn't like Rand all that much either, Matt was ok though.

QUOTE (ZEPIDUS @ Aug 16 2007, 08:21 PM)

I have to agree with you on Harry potter, after starting out on more mature fantasy's it's hard to go and read something as childlike as potter.

But your a fan of Artemis Fowl.
ohmy.gif

Then again Fowl is a genius, you gotta love geniuses.

i like matt too...he's by far my favorite character
wink.gif

and you gotta love fowl...a nice mixture of comedy and witty yet logical reasoning
...i don't know potter just never did hit it with me

after watching the 3 LotR movies i read the hobbit, but i don't think i'd give my time to the other 3 books

QUOTE (PadUnregistere @ Aug 17 2007, 09:13 AM)On the other hand I didn't like the Lord of the Rings books and liked the movies.

Aha, Tolkien is a legend...but gosh he can get boring on his books...I find it such an insult when people love harry potter but completely hate all lotr >.> I managed the hobbit ...and got to like the last chapter of lotr before being like gahhh damn you, stop celebrating because it was just like a whole chapter of them like that ^^.

Ohh I just remembered, of what I remember (which was yeeears ago!), David Eddings and his The Belgariad series was really good...I'm less into fantasy now...more realistic-ish sci-fi/horror

QUOTE (electric_foetus @ Aug 16 2007, 07:20 PM) Ack, I'm sorry...I cannot stand Harry Potter...its like one of the most popular books among adults/children now but to me, its writing is so childish and I found it unimaginative but then, each to their own XD
I try to explain this to people and they think I'm nuts, especially since I am sort of a Potter fan. I can work my way through them once for getting the "canon" facts, but then I just stick to the well-written fanfic which expands on my favourite characters. They're easy enough reads to get through one book in a day or two, and then you at least have the knowledge of the world. From there, there are some AMAZING authors on the internet whose style are much better than Rowlings.

I also love the Vampire Chronicles, though I only read 1-4. I was told going beyond that might ruin my (overly fangirlish) opinion on Louis
ph34r.gif

QUOTE (electric_foetus @ Aug 16 2007, 05:20 PM) Ack, I'm sorry...I cannot stand Harry Potter...its like one of the most popular books among adults/children now but to me, its writing is so childish
The good side is that it's easily readable, when English is not your mother tongue (Easier than Tolkien, without any doubt).
wink.gif

I've seen a surprising number of people reading the book 7 in the subway or the train. It's the first time I see that with a foreign-language book.

Well, since I've always loved reading, I practically can read almost all genres of books, as long as they're not 'heavy', cos I read to release stress n kill time, not to think hard n get stressed from it
tongue.gif

My faves would include:

- Manga (haha, love them!!!
biggrin.gif
)
- Thriller a la Dan Brown
- Martial arts books by Kho Ping Hoo (Indonesian writer)

Currently I'm reading Rachel Gibson books. Somehow adult, but very nice!
smile.gif

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Aug 17 2007, 06:15 PM)
I also love the Vampire Chronicles, though I only read 1-4. I was told going beyond that might ruin my (overly fangirlish) opinion on Louis

Haha oh lordy! XD I've gotta say that Lestat is the one for me...=drool=

I really need to read some Dan Brown...alas, I have never got round to it :/

Ohhh I also loved Memoirs Of A Geisha..byyy Arfur Golden I believe...I thought the film totally ruined it...they missed out some important stuff and just randomly added some stuff :S peh...but it gave a good insight into Japan ^^. Well...of the Geisha world at least ...I'd love to read more books like it

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? was a good book (Bladerunner was based on it...but once again they're like completely different!) but that seemed quite heavy...the writing style was a bit like overly complex...
tongue.gif
maybe thats just me

happy.gif
heh I feel like a big book geek...wahey!

I'm currently reading Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood, it's really good, a lot better than I expected. I'm constantly having dreams of a post-apocalyptic world because of it
wink.gif
my favourite dream is when I'm the last woman on earth, and Christian bale is the last man..... ~drool~
Ok, back on topic. I've always wanted to read "Do androids dream of Electric Sheep!" just because the title sounds so weird, and I like weird books.
I've never read any Dan Brown either, I'm probably one of the few on the planet who haven't. I bought the Da Vinci Code, read a few chapters, but it didn't keep my interest..
I haven't read Memoirs of a Geisha, another book I'd really like to read. I saw the movie though, and I enjoyed it. I really loved the scenery and just how it was directed... my only beef would be that it would have been so much better if it was in japanese... but most of the actors were chinese so I guess doing the whole film in english was a feat in itself.

Oh yeah, I've read "Memoirs of Geisha" too... And I must agree that the book is a lot better than the movie (n the movie was already very nicely done!
biggrin.gif
)

@ julezia: I you want to start reading a Dan Brown book, I recommend you reading "Angels & Demons" first. It's better than "The Da Vinci Code", n the story takes place before it too
rolleyes.gif

I am reading the Bartiemus Trilogy & Test of the Twins (Dragonlance Legends)

After those two I will start on The Alchemyst & War of the Twins (Dragonlance Legends)

QUOTE (julezia @ Aug 18 2007, 12:21 PM)I've never read any Dan Brown either, I'm probably one of the few on the planet who haven't.
I haven't either. I read the first couple pages of Da Vinci and thought they were terrible (the writing style). I saw the movie and it certainly didn't get me interested in the plot. Guess it's just not my type of book!

QUOTE (electric_foetus @ Aug 18 2007, 08:32 AM)Haha oh lordy! XD I've gotta say that Lestat is the one for me...=drool=
Everyone likes Lestat *sigh*
laugh.gif
All the characters are equally fascinating so I suppose it works out! I tend to have a strange taste in favourites ... but I adore Louis. Even though my friend once complained about how he never stands up to Lestat ... and then in Body Thief, when he did, she complained about how coldhearted he was not to help Lestat
tongue.gif

QUOTE (julezia @ Aug 18 2007, 04:21 PM)I've always wanted to read "Do androids dream of Electric Sheep!" just because the title sounds so weird, and I like weird books.
I've never read any Dan Brown either, I'm probably one of the few on the planet who haven't. I bought the Da Vinci Code, read a few chapters, but it didn't keep my interest..
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is an interesting story, like most of Philip K. Dick's stuff it's not very long, I found it in an anthology of his short stories.

It's very different to the film version, BladeRunner, much more philosophical. In the film, the assertion is basically that the androids are effectively human, with their thoughts and feelings. In the book, it's the other way round: that humans are really just biological machines. The book also makes the setting clearer, going into stuff that was alluded to in the film but not really explained properly, such as there are almost no real animals left, they're all extinct, so people really do have electric sheep which graze their lawns etc. Something that's hinted at in the film quite subtlely is that Deckard might be an android too, but like Rachael not know it. In the book it's much clearer, and in fact I'm left with the impression that maybe there weren't any real humans left alive at all, which would be another way of looking at Dick's insinuation that humans are little more than machines.

As for the Da Vinci Code, I thought it was ok as travel fare, it helped me pass the time on some train journeys, but it's very derivative of the Holy Blood & Holy Grail (Dan Brown's claim that he hadn't read that book before he wrote his own story is truly laughable, he steals so much from it).

I could recommend The Belgariad, The Mallorean series from David Eddings if you like fantasy (why don't they make a movie or series of that i still don't know).
Also Dune, the first book is nice. Otherwise you can also read Raymond E. Feist if you like fantasy. Especially the books Magician, Silverthorn and Darkness over Sethanon are worth reading. Tad Williams with his books Dragonsthrone and the rest of that series are also one to read. The gate of death from Weiss and Hickman is also worthy.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back