Blade

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Anybody

-sama
Sempai
29742n.jpg

Episode Count: 12
Studio: Madhouse
Genre: Action.

Story: The storyline follows Eric Brooks, half-vampire, half-human, also known as Blade, who is out on a mission of revenge and redemption. While on mission in japan, he stumbles upon the long reaching-chain of conspiracies and infiltrations perpetrated by a vampire secret society known only as Existence, whose Leader, a four-fanged vampire named Deacon Frost, Blade is hunting.

---------
Trailer

--------------------------------

Wow, I am surprised there is still not a thread about this considering this, alongside kamisama dolls are the only interesting things in the current season, not to mention thhat another supposedly "vampire anime", BloodC already has a huge thread and I have yet to see any vampires in that one.

So far, as Marvel adaptations go, this is one of better ones, a bit better than wolverine and a lot better than x-men and iron man. Wolverine was a good action show with a great premise, but it delved into the action cliches way too much. X-men had a great set up on one of greatest arcs in the comic books, potential of interesting interaction following the demise of Jean Gray, Logan-Scott rivalry/hate, etc, yet ruined it all with a very unlikeable marysue new character addition. Blade so far is a lot more balanced than that, providing a good deal of backstory, non-useless characters and good atmosphere. Its also quite creative in the fact that it does not only use traditional vampires, but the country-specific mythologies too. Not to mention, hey a black non-stereotypical male finally gets to be a badass main character in anime.

It actually pains me on just how much the anime-elitism bias seems to be blocking marvel adaptation reception overall though. That and people's ignorance(people keep confusing Hollywood movie marvel with comic book marvel, sow hen they find out wolverine lived in japan for years, was a samurai, married and had children and is not exactly a huge berserk-baw-hulk-person or that Blade is not wesley snipes, they go into shock)

QUOTE this, alongside kamisama dolls are the only interesting things in the current season

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Is this a severe case of poor taste I'm seeing, or is it a hobby to try and prove to others that mediocre shows are masterpieces?
rolleyes.gif

Anyhow, there wasn't a thread cause I was too lazy to make one, and I don't think any of the thread-creators are watching this. There was a plenty of discussion on first ep over at the General thread.

QUOTE It actually pains me on just how much the anime-elitism bias seems to be blocking marvel adaptation reception overall though.

I'm sure if they didn't suck so much, they'd be getting more attention. After two fails and a half-fail series, it's not surprising most people don't give a damn. What's surprising is the perseverance of the people who're still making these shows.

Anyhow, first two eps of Blade were pretty good, but I won't judge the series until I see more. X-men started strong, too, but then ran out of steam.

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Jul 19 2011, 04:09 AM)
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Is this a severe case of poor taste I'm seeing, or is it a hobby to try and prove to others that mediocre shows are masterpieces?
rolleyes.gif

I'm sure if they didn't suck so much, they'd be getting more attention. After two fails and a half-fail series, it's not surprising most people don't give a damn. What's surprising is the perseverance of the people who're still making these shows.

Compared to the overall mediocrity of this season(school-life kitsch+clamp screwups), those two shows are the best of this season(THIS season). Its just that generally this season has practically nothing watchable but these two shows. And no one called it a masterpiece(neither did I call B+ a masterpiece and Buffy, well, Buffy is and will always be a critically acclaimed masterpiece that changed the world of television), but you are free to trolltake it that way.

Wolverine was decent and interesting take on one of most well known Wolverine miniseries comic books, however the anime went off way too much into action-clichses.
Iron Man was plain painful to watch.
X-Men was a decent premise and decent series, ruined by completely horrible plotline, missing the right points in story and introuction of very annoying mary sue character.

Overall they were not as bad as majority of "oh my god its not japanese, kill it with fire" people make them to be. A decent time-waster like most of anime series nowadays.

QUOTE Overall they were not as bad as majority of "oh my god its not japanese, kill it with fire" people make them to be.

Pretty bad nonetheless. I'd say they got precisely the amount of attention they deserve.

QUOTE Overall they were not as bad as majority of "oh my god its not japanese, kill it with fire" people make them to be. A decent time-waster like most of anime series nowadays.

Haven't seen any reactions like that, especially not around here. Maybe you should stop hanging around elitists
tongue.gif

There's at least one series per season worth watching, pretty consistently too - so if a show starts sucking, there's really no reason to keep watching unless one has too much time to waste.

QUOTE Compared to the overall mediocrity of this season(school-life kitsch+clamp screwups), those two shows are the best of this season(THIS season). Its just that generally this season has practically nothing watchable but these two shows.

This season's actually unusually low on the number of the usual moe/school-life flicks, with more than usual fresh and interesting shows to watch (Blood C ain't one of them, mind you). So I'm not sure where you've been looking, but stuff like Kamisama Drops probably falls into the average and below tier.

QUOTE you are free to troll

Oh noes, I've been found out
tongue.gif

I didnt make a thread because the marvel-threads werent really alive so why should I open one if nobodys writes.

After ep 3 I must say its a lot better than I thought. I mean Iron Man was bad, Wolverine was bad and X-Men was ok.
The biggest positive thing I can say is that the one big negative thing all other three marvel-adaptions had, the horrible animation, isnt present here.
The animation looks good and suits the series. Sure its not a highlight-quality but better than a lot of other series which came out in the last few years.

Characterwise we got what we expected we get. At least in my eyes. Blade is a badass vampirekiller who is half vampire/half human with the problems that comes with that. No experiments. Exactly how it should be.
Makoto is the chliche sidewoman. First she hates him because he killed her father and then she understands him, helps him, bla bla bla. No surprise either.

Story seems interesting, the question is only what they do with it. I like it that they are going a bit deeper into the mythologies of asian cultures (or mabye even others) instead of just adding one horde of vampire to the last.

Like I already said a good surprise and I hope it will hold until the end.

AWESOME fourth episode.

- Really loved Blade's backstory and Madhouse managed to leave quite a big emotional impact with those events, as well as give a nice insight and connection to the present situation.
- Loved that they actually did research when creating Philippines and they actually came VERY close to how its in real world.
- The anime-original girl thankfully remains useful, has a personality, has already dropped the whole revenge stuff and is not a mary sue so far. Yay. One thing that ruined X-men so far is unlikely here.

Im wondering is this REALLY worth watching? In general Marvel animation just sucks and doesnt compare to DC. But I did watch Ironman Extremis and Who's the Black Panther? Both were fantastic. Really up there with DC stuff.

Firstly, I dont like vampires and zombies in general, its become a tired genre especially in anime form. While I did like the first two blade movies, I just dont see how this show will have any particular nuances to make it feel fresh.

QUOTE (Anybody @ Jul 19 2011, 03:35 AM)
So far, as Marvel adaptations go, this is one of better ones, a bit better than wolverine and a lot better than x-men and iron man. Wolverine was a good action show with a great premise, but it delved into the action cliches way too much.

My problem with Wolverine was you have a guy who has adamantium claws in his frickin hands yet he accepts a duel with a tyrant using kendo sticks and loses badly, then uses his claws and still loses badly. Come on, thats just absurd. For the rest of my days I wont forget that. If they cant even get the visceral qualities of wolverine right, there was simply no point continuing to watch the rest of the show.

QUOTE (franzoir @ Jul 25 2011, 06:14 AM) Firstly, I dont like vampires and zombies in general, its become a tired genre especially in anime form.

My problem with Wolverine was you have a guy who has adamantium claws in his frickin hands yet he accepts a duel with a tyrant using kendo sticks and loses badly, then uses his claws and still loses badly. Come on, thats just absurd. For the rest of my days I wont forget that. If they cant even get the visceral qualities of wolverine right, there was simply no point continuing to watch the rest of the show.
Well what I like so far is that the show takes the "local" vampires of the region the characters are in at that moment.

AS for Wolverine. Wolverine is samurai. HE LIVES by bushido code. He can't refuse stuff like that. First and foremost he is a warrior who lived in japan for decades and served in armies there not to mention had a wife and a son. Sure he has the whole berserk thing but he(unlike his son, Daken) is completely in control of it and can go into that state at will. And you do know that he was fighting a grandfather of freaking silver samurai, right?

QUOTE (Anybody @ Jul 25 2011, 07:19 AM) Well what I like so far is that the show takes the "local" vampires of the region the characters are in at that moment.

Im gonna try this show, since people are saying its better than the rest so far.

QUOTE (Anybody @ Jul 25 2011, 07:19 AM)QUOTE (franzoir @ Jul 25 2011, 06:14 AM)
AS for Wolverine. Wolverine is samurai. HE LIVES by bushido code. He can't refuse stuff like that. First and foremost he is a warrior who lived in japan for decades and served in armies there not to mention had a wife and a son. Sure he has the whole berserk thing but he(unlike his son, Daken) is completely in control of it and can go into that state at will. And you do know that he was fighting a grandfather of freaking silver samurai, right?

To be honest, I dont care if he lived in Japan, fought in the american civil war or was raised in Timbuktu. If he has metal claws in his hands, enough said! He best use them at any opportunity. There is a rawness to his character and the anime stripped that away for some effeminate dope who pined after some equally dopey girl.

QUOTE (franzoir @ Jul 25 2011, 08:18 AM) To be honest, I dont care if he lived in Japan, fought in the american civil war or was raised in Timbuktu. If he has metal claws in his hands, enough said! He best use them at any opportunity. There is a rawness to his character and the anime stripped that away for some effeminate dope who pined after some equally dopey girl.
Erm, so I am just wondering how much are you familiar with Wolverine as character?

Wolverine is not "raw" for being raw" he is raw when he wants to be. As for pining after Mariko(who is a marvel canon character), well, what do you expect? Its Wolverine. Every romance he gets to is angst. Mariko? Angst. Silverfox? Tragic Angst. Itsu? "oh woe is me for not protecting you" angst. Rose? Major Angst. Jean Gray? Tragic Love Triangle Angst.

And thats not even talking about his relationships with black cat, rogue, Elektra, yukio or freaking Mystique.

What wolverine is, thats a tactician. He has a mind of general. pretty much. He was compared as "equivalent to an Olympic-level gymnast performing a Gold-medal-winning routine whilst simultaneously beating four chess computers in his head". His specializations are martial arts, covert ops and he knows about a dozen of different languages.

He is not a "berserker". He is a loner, living by bushido code and almost always sulking. He does not trust anyone(well, except Jean Gray whom he trusts completely) and is a pretty much how a samurai bishonen characters are portrayed in anime.

QUOTE (Anybody @ Jul 25 2011, 09:30 AM) Erm, so I am just wondering how much are you familiar with Wolverine as character?

Again I do not care. X-men was the first marvel property I was introduced to in the early 90s and I love it but as I grew older I hated how prominent Wolverine had become. The whole weapon X thing was annoying and they dragged it out to the point where I didnt even care. When he was doing that whole Jean grey thing... I was like seriously WTF is this guy doing. He just looked pathetic and a complete tool. I dont even like Wolverine to begin with. He is overrated. I am so grateful he was left out of first class. I didnt even like the X-men film trilogy because it focused too much on him. In my eyes his power defines him. I just see him as a stab stab stabby person and when he tries to show depth...I just snooze.

It comes back to the point, I do not care. I never engaged with the character in anyway apart from the fact claws come out his hands. I always preferred Cyclops even though people say he is boring etc etc. But each to their own.

A great ep. Nice too see some background for Blade. I just hope they will explain how his mother came back. Or better said how you become a vampire in this show since for now everyone who was bitten died.

@franzoir: If you liked the Blade Movies than you should give this a try since in my eyes this series is a lot like them. Especially the action here is far better than anything else seen in an marvel anime-adaption for now.

And I dont really like Wolverine either ^^

@Anybody: Which Mary Sue character in X-Men oO

Hah? Where was she a Mary Sue? As I remember a Mary Sue is an idolized perfect beeing without flaws and Hisako wasnt even near there. She was only made out of flaws so shes quite the opposite of a Mary Sue. Except of course TVtropes explained Mary Sue wrong to me.

And it was the animation who ruined X-Men to 99% regardless how bad, annoying or worthless the characters may have been.

The animation for X-men was actually pretty good, it's just the rips we got sucked royally.

QUOTE As I remember a Mary Sue is an idolized perfect beeing without flaws

Well you remember wrong, I suggest you read up on it. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue

I'm not myself sure the girl was a Mary Sue or not, but I agree that she and anything that revolved around her was pretty boring and dragged the series down.

The Blade girl is still pretty cliche and boring imo, though at least not by anime standards, but by Holywood standards.

Hmm after reading it on TVTropes again Im even more sure she isnt a Mary Sue.
Overall she is the typical heroine, nothing more or less.

well as expected of Marvel this time they crossover Blade and Wolverine's anime characters from episode 7 to 9, I liked those far more than the crossover eps of Iron Man+Logan and Wolverine+Cyclops on their respective series

Blade and co. arrive at Madripoor in ep 7, the same asian outlaw island where Logan is back to take revenge on A.I.M. and they tag to beat one of the noble purebloods there... eps. 8 and 9 take place in northwestern Vietnam, where Kikyo (from the Wolverine anime) is hired by Deacon Frost and he fights his old rival Eric and their Yagyuu sword master becoming in a vampire by Frost

...so far this series turned in a big surprise for me, better than the previous Marvel anime in general, Blade's plot develops not only in Japan and U.S. but in many other countries and their different vampire types are based on their respective cultures and mythologies
biggrin.gif

Last three episodes have been my favorite so far. Love seeing sexy Kikyo again and was glad he will now go up against Frost in order to save Blade and because despite it all, my man has scruples and lives the way of the Sword. I would never toss that babe out the way his Master did...he's always got a warm bed in my humble abode. Blade has been the best of the four, in my humble opinion. Glad I decided to watch it til the end. {
happy.gif
}

QUOTE (ImTakes @ Sep 09 2011, 05:42 AM) Last three episodes have been my favorite so far. Love seeing sexy Kikyo again and was glad he will now go up against Frost in order to save Blade and because despite it all, my man has scruples and lives the way of the Sword. I would never toss that babe out the way his Master did...he's always got a warm bed in my humble abode. Blade has been the best of the four, in my humble opinion. Glad I decided to watch it til the end. {
happy.gif
}
haha agreed, Blade definitively is the best Marvel anime yet... better watch these last two episodes, telling by the preview Kikyo will team up with the Daywalker to take down Frost and all his vampire empire (no rhyme intended)

what a badass (and sad) 11th episode, sad because Makoto is bitten by - yup, the same Dickon taking away one by one those dear to Eric, who has no choice but to kill them... and badass with Noah Helsing who saves the day with his M61 Vulcan gatlin gun and explodes with C4 the entire tai base, also the battle at Existence's home base Armoroad between thousands of pureblood knights and artificial vampires reminded me to Ultimate Hellsing's war, with Blade fighting both sides instead of Alucard
biggrin.gif

well the Marvel anime series are done with this grand finale of Blade, surpassing the other four (including Heroman)... it all indicates Blade and Noah Helsing will hunt the european purebloods next if there is a second season, probably Kikyo or some other Marvel character will support them, would be cool to see the X-calibur british division of X-Men

...a solid 8 / 10 from me, didn't like some aspects like most vampires instantly burning and reduced to dust in a second by a single silver slash, bullet or some holy water or sunbeam, anyways Blood-C is a joke in compasion if we talk about vampire hunters fighting with katanas
wink.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back