Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Eternal (2021) & Crystal (2014-16)

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Who is your favorite Sailor Senshi?

• Usagi Tsukino / Sailor Moon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ami Mizuno / Sailor Mercury

• Rei Hino / Sailor Mars

• Makoto Kino / Sailor Jupiter

• Minako Aino / Sailor Venus

• Haruka Tenoh / Sailor Uranus (no pun intended)

• Michiru Kaioh / Sailor Neptune

• Setsuna Meioh / Sailor Pluto (a god, NOT a dog)

• Hotaru Tomoe / Sailor Saturn

• Chibiusa / Sailor Chibi Moon (lol)

• Seiya Kou / Sailor Star Fighter (er...)

• Taiki Kou / Sailor Star Maker (err...)

• Yaten Kou / Sailor Star Healer (errr...)

• Sailor Chibichibi (true self to be animated?)

• None of them / another one of anime or manga

• Total voters

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~
Staff member
Leader Council

Title: Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon: Crystal
Japanese: 美少女戦士セーラームーン クリスタル
Airing dates: Summer 2013 Winter 2014 5/7/2014 (ONA series, episode 1 to 13) and April 2015 (TV series 1st cour)
Genres: Magical girl, Romance, Comedy, Drama, Shoujo
Original creator: Naoko Takeuchi
Director: Munehisa Sakai
Written by: Yuji Kobayashi
Music by: Yasuharu Takanashi
Character designer: Yukie Sakou
Color design by: Kunio Tsujita and Tomoko Kobiki
Art directors: Takashi Yurahashi and Yumi Hosaka
Director of photography: Takeo Ogiwara
Produced by: Junichirō Tsuchiya and Yū Kamiki
Studio: Toei Animation
Music production: King Records / Starchild Records
Network: Niconico
Opening theme: "MOON PRIDE" by Momoiro Clover Z
Ending theme: "Moonbow (月虹 Gekkou)" by Momoiro Clover Z

Main cast: Usagi Tsukino (月野 うさぎ) / Sailor Moon (セーラームーン) / Princess Serenity (プリンセス・セレニティ) voiced by Kotono Mitsuishi
Ami Mizuno (水野 亜美) / Sailor Mercury (セーラーマーキュリー) voiced by Hisako Kanemoto
Rei Hino (火野 レイ) / Sailor Mars (セーラーマーズ) voiced by Rina Satō
Makoto Kino (木野 まこと) / Sailor Jupiter (セーラーセージュピター) voiced by Ami Koshimizu
Minako Aino (愛野 美奈子) / Sailor Venus (セーラーヴィーナス) / Sailor V (セーラーV) voiced by Shizuka Itō

Mamoru Chiba (地場 衛) / Tuxedo Mask (タキシード仮面) / Prince Endymion (プリンス・エンディミオン) voiced by Kenji Nojima
Luna (ルナ) voiced by Ryō Hirohashi
Artemis (アルテミス) voiced by Yōhei Obayashi
Dark Kingdom (ダーク・キングダム): Queen Beryl (クイン・ベリル) voiced by Misa Watanabe
Jadeite (ジェダイト) voiced by Daisuke Kishio
Nephrite (ネフライト) voiced by Kōsuke Toriumi
Zoisite (ゾイサイト) voiced by Masaya Matsukaze
Kunzite (クンツァイト) voiced by Eiji Takemoto
Queen Metalia (クイン・メタリア) voiced by Yoko Matsuoka

Supporting cast: Queen Serenity (クイーン・セレニティ) voiced by Mami Koyama
Ikuko Tsukino (月野 育子) voiced by Yuko Mizutani
Shingo Tsukino (月野 進悟) voiced by Seira Ryū
Naru Osaka (大阪 なる) voiced by Satomi Satō
Haruna Sakurada (桜田 春菜) voiced by Akemi Kanda
Motoki Furuhata (古幡 元基) voiced by Hiroshi Okamoto
Gurio Umino (海野 ぐりお) voiced by Daiki Yamashita
Yumiko (ゆみこ) voiced by Kim Hyangri
Kuri (くり) voiced by Yukiko Morishita
Official english website and ONA PVs:

Synopsis: On July 6, 2012, Naoko Takeuchi, Kodansha and idol group Momoiro Clover Z announced that a new anime adaptation was in production and scheduled to premiere in Summer 2013 for a simultaneous worldwide release as part of the series' 20th anniversary celebrations, with Momoiro Clover Z performing both the opening and ending theme music. However in April 2013, the new anime had been delayed. On August 4, it was confirmed that the new anime will be streamed in the winter. On January 9, 2014, it was announced that the new anime will premiere in July. On March 13, 2014, the official website for the new anime was updated to reveal a countdown (beginning on March 14), regarding a special announcement that will be revealed on March 21, 2014. That same day, an image displaying the key visual art, synopsis and staff for the new anime were announced on Toei's website, revealing the name for the anime.

Usagi Tsukino is a second-year middle school girl who is a little clumsy and a crybaby, but she is full of energy. One day, she meets Luna, a black cat with a crescent moon on her forehead, and she transforms into Sailor Moon, a sailor-uniformed pretty guardian of love and justice! As a chosen guardian of justice, Usagi seems to have a mission to find the Illusionary Silver Crystal with the other guardians and to protect the princess. Meanwhile, the queen of the Dark Kingdom, Queen Beryl, also sends minions to the town where Usagi lives to obtain the Illusionary Silver Crystal, which has immense power. This causes strange events to unfold…. Can Sailor Moon really find the Illusionary Silver Crystal with the other Sailor guardians, and protect the princess…!?

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Jul 07 2012, 11:46 AM)Hopefully next year's Sailor Moon series doesn't fall in the same trap then (assuming Kunihiko is directing again)
QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Jul 07 2012, 12:49 PM)There's a new SM series?
blink.gif

Although, considering that R was the best and it went downhill from there, there isn't much to expect anyway
dry.gif
I'll watch this reboot mainly for nostalgia and how it'll adapt the manga closely, as long as they take out the 90's fillers and repetitive transformation scenes
sleep.gif

Justice watched the first two episodes. Brilliant.

Gotta admit I'm loving that anime I grew upon are being redone, first DBZ and now Sailor Moon.

Watched both episodes on the bus to work. I was actually grinning during the transformation. Loved it. If I watch no other anime, I'll be watching this one at least. So happy!

I get this feeling that this will be a bi-weekly series. Also, yes they are pretty much faithful to the original series with a few minor tweaks of course. Overall I finally get to hear the original VAs for this series instead of the dubbed version I grew up with.
tongue.gif

No they are not "faithful" to original series. They are being faithful to the manga:
  • Mamoru's role already is completely different
  • Luna nad Usagi come off far more competent in AMi storyline
  • It does not take 5646746 episodes to GET to Ami.

I hate to say it but I am a little disappointed in TOEI here. Yes their are being faithful to the manga, but the 3dCGI transformations are a bit of an eyesore and there's many moments of QUALITY that are quite bothersome. You'd think with 2 major delays they would have been able to put out better art than this.

That said I WILL continue to watch it.

QUOTE (Anybody @ Jul 30 2014, 12:48 AM)It does not take 5646746 episodes to GET to Ami
QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Jul 29 2014, 1:19 PM)Also, yes they are pretty much faithful to the original series with a few minor tweaksI must admit that 90's eps 1 and 8 are kinda close to manga, but Rei's debut in ep.10 is really different to #3 from Crystal...
next tuesday NHK World's review on SMC
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Shinobu's_Lover @ Jul 30 2014, 12:23 PM) I hate to say it but I am a little disappointed in TOEI here. Yes their are being faithful to the manga, but the 3dCGI transformations are a bit of an eyesore and there's many moments of QUALITY that are quite bothersome. You'd think with 2 major delays they would have been able to put out better art than this.

And TOEI has proven that they can do 3DCGI at high quality with their infamous PreCure ED dances sequences:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwaW0mysieY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYjABqTa5IA

I can't help but feel TOEI is cutting corner here for Sailormoon Crystal in terms of the CGI their are using...so I agree with you, it's disappointing.

Well after seeing the 3rd episode of this series, I can now say they are redoing the anime with a style update to it. So in other words it's like watching this series back in the late 90s for me, but with an animation upgrade of sorts, CG transformations, and it being subbed with proper names instead of their localized dubbed names.

Well this was the series that brought me into anime, so might as well see how far it continues down the path of the original first season now. If memory serves it will be a few more episodes more until Makoto arrives on the scene here.

In any case this series was well known for it's transformation sequence though. Pretty much it's the whole thing that keeps it a Mahou Shoujo series. Although the Mahou Lolis nowadays rather show a transformation sequence once and never do it again.
tongue.gif

Nice, my post disappeared. Way to go with censorship.

Dropping this series. the latest episode had either one of biggest deviations from manga or most nonsensical case of censorship to the point that its impossible to tell.

Defeats the purpose of making series faithful to manga if they are going to randomly deviate at such a major moments. Jadeite was supposed to die there, gruesomely incinerated by Mars. Its impossible to tell whether that happened because LOLTOEI

I'll wait till some other studio gets this franchise in some few years and does manga justice.

QUOTE (Shinobu's_Lover @ Jul 30 2014, 01:23 PM) I hate to say it but I am a little disappointed in TOEI here. Yes their are being faithful to the manga, but the 3dCGI transformations are a bit of an eyesore and there's many moments of QUALITY that are quite bothersome. You'd think with 2 major delays they would have been able to put out better art than this.

Agreed. I hate the new art in general; it's very inconsistent and similar to the BONES art style looks quite poor unless in motion... except here they use crappy 3D for the complex motion sequences, so go figure.

The new VA is very, very good though, which keeps me watching. Also lol, "Moon Pride"
laugh.gif

QUOTE Dropping this series. the latest episode had either one of biggest deviations from manga or most nonsensical case of censorship to the point that its impossible to tell.

Defeats the purpose of making series faithful to manga if they are going to randomly deviate at such a major moments. Jadeite was supposed to die there, gruesomely incinerated by Mars. Its impossible to tell whether that happened because LOLTOEI

I'd honestly be surprised if that's what happened, since it looked like he escaped at the last moment. Then again, the art's inconsistent so go figure.

Well what did you expect, I mean they are pretty much rehashing the anime than the manga here of course. I mean they are pretty much giving the old anime a facelift with a CG transformation scene. Top it all off with a CG OP and I think ED as well.

In any case did they say they were going to do it like how the manga was, or did they really mean that they were just giving this whole thing the typical rehash the same stuff but with an obvious face-lift?
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Aug 06 2014, 03:06 AM) In any case did they say they were going to do it like how the manga was
That's actually what I heard, though no idea where the message came from...

From the looks of things it sounds like they were probably going to do it, but then decided to just give the original animation a facelift of sorts then. I mean it's pretty much following the anime that aired back in the 90s or so.
rolleyes.gif

I mean what better way to save money then to recycle the things that were done in the first season if you will.
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Aug 06 2014, 02:06 AM) Well what did you expect, I mean they are pretty much rehashing the anime than the manga here of course. I mean they are pretty much giving the old anime a facelift with a CG transformation scene. Top it all off with a CG OP and I think ED as well.

In any case did they say they were going to do it like how the manga was, or did they really mean that they were just giving this whole thing the typical rehash the same stuff but with an obvious face-lift?
rolleyes.gif

Yes they did

THey said they are not "remaking the old anime" and focusing on manga this time.

Chosing to not kill Jadeite makes that a blatant lie.

So far, barring horrible censorship, they did follow the manga quite closely, chapter per episode.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-...o-posted-online

Actually, I don't think they promised to ever "follow the manga." Instead they chose the word "adapt," which does not necessarily imply follow from a legal perspective. I mean very few (if any) anime staff and companies ever say they will "follow" or "faithfully" adapt source material due to the negative criticism that could follow when they don't. By saying "adapt," this gives the anime staff the support term they need alter and adjust the content of the source material when they feel the need to in order to suit the audience they intend to air it to, especially when you consider the overall demographic and target audience of the Sailor Moon series.

I think at the end of the day, many people misinterpret the "adapt" portion of these press releases and that's what's spurring the negative responses. Yes, it's a disappointment that they didn't follow the manga word for word and scene for scene but I don't think you can say that they lied when they never promised anything beyond an "adaptation" and to not be a remake of the 1992 anime series.

Some of the negative responses to the show are also just from the overall quality of work. There are some pretty goofy looking scenes with characters being off model. I'm not counting the CG transformation scenes cause those don't necessarily bother me at all like they seem to do for everyone else.

Stuff like this.
http://i.imgur.com/tBWC403.jpg

Plus Luna always has a super odd body shape.
http://i.imgur.com/Trf7sEC.jpg

Okay but with the way things are turning out I think he didn't want to say that they were redoing the anime since people would outright rage over that part. In other words I think they didn't want it to look or sound like they were just recycling scenes from the old anime and doing a bit of copy pasta here and there and giving it somewhat of a time update too I take it.

I mean in the old anime they did show her somehow getting on that bus, but they kind of skipped that part though in the latest version. Also, yes the animation is off to the point of were it could be CLAMP level of bad here.
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Aug 09 2014, 07:36 PM) Some of the negative responses to the show are also just from the overall quality of work. There are some pretty goofy looking scenes with characters being off model. I'm not counting the CG transformation scenes cause those don't necessarily bother me at all like they seem to do for everyone else.

Stuff like this.
http://i.imgur.com/tBWC403.jpg

Plus Luna always has a super odd body shape.
http://i.imgur.com/Trf7sEC.jpg
Hah! You can always count on TOEI's QUALITY
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Aug 09 2014, 06:59 PM) http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-...o-posted-online

Actually, I don't think they promised to ever "follow the manga." Instead they chose the word "adapt," which does not necessarily imply follow from a legal perspective. I mean very few (if any) anime staff and companies ever say they will "follow" or "faithfully" adapt source material due to the negative criticism that could follow when they don't. By saying "adapt," this gives the anime staff the support term they need alter and adjust the content of the source material when they feel the need to in order to suit the audience they intend to air it to, especially when you consider the overall demographic and target audience of the Sailor Moon series.

I think at the end of the day, many people misinterpret the "adapt" portion of these press releases and that's what's spurring the negative responses. Yes, it's a disappointment that they didn't follow the manga word for word and scene for scene but I don't think you can say that they lied when they never promised anything beyond an "adaptation" and to not be a remake of the 1992 anime series.
Then they should not have:
  • faithfully adapted manga character designs
  • name every episode EXACTLY the same as the chapter it adapts
  • Follow manga almost scene by scene for last few episodes(with exception of where they need to update it to present day or horribly censor something)

As I see it now, no matter how you interpret their words, its a betrayal.

I am going to save my opinions on this adaptation until a lot more episodes are out and i can marathon this (not watching it as of now), so im sorry if i dont ride on the the sailor-wagon while its still full of people.

Either way i wanted to comment on the poll xD

I was a fan of Sailor Moon when i was a kid (before being 13 years old), and i was a closet otaku back then.... i remember my friends making fun of me when they found out by accident that i watched Sailor Moon (i will never forget my grudge for the ppl ratted me out xD)

Point is i was a huge fan, but i lost interest when Sailor Neptune and Uranus appeared, i couldnt just not witstand them for some reason. (i didnt like Uranus for obvious reasons but Neptune irked me and i still dont know why)

Either way, i am so glad, i mean SO GLAD, that i stopped watching SM before the star sailors appeared, i know you know what i mean. If i had to struggle with people finding out i was a male fan of SM and still watched it after those sailors appeared... i would have socially retreated into a cave.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back