Best Anime of Spring 2010

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kit-Tsukasa

-desu
Retired
I'm going to try something new this year based on suggestions from last year's "Best of" and as an inspiration by senpai-kun's Power Rankings, which we closed down last year.

At the end of every anime season, all TV shows that ended prior to the start of the next season will qualify for this little competition. I will try my best to list all shows as accurately as possible that qualify for each respective competition.

There are 10 categories each season:

Best OP Theme (be as specific as possible, so that your vote will be correctly counted)
Best ED Theme (be as specific as possible, so that your vote will be correctly counted)
Best Animation
Best Soundtrack
Most Enjoyable
Best Plot
Most Original
Best Character Development
Worst Show
Best Show
Best Seiyuu (Voice Actor/Actress) -- Note that a seiyuu cannot win more than one season during the course of the annual vote. Only after the annual vote can the seiyuu win yet again. A "win" in any season will automatically qualify the seiyuu into the final poll in December. If any seiyuu wins in more than one season, a relatively elaborate tie break process will ensue.

Some of you may recognize this list from the competitions held at the end of each year. The only difference is that I've removed all genres (action, comedy, romance/drama, etc...) due to not every show having the same advantage each season.

Moving on, the way this will work is each user will have the opportunity to rank up to their top 5 favorite series for each season. You can rank more or less, but only the top 5 in your post will be considered. Repeats will be ignored. If your post is unreadable, the vote will be disqualified. For the Best Seiyuu (Voice Actor/Actress) category, you may only vote your top 3. Only the top 2 seiyuus from each season will automatically qualify for the annual voting in December.

The poll will be open for a full month after each season ends and will end no later than the first week of the following month. e.g., if the anime season started April, then the poll will be open until the first week of May of the same year. Basically, during this month, you will be allowed to freely edit your rankings. All ranks are weighted the same, so whatever you rank at #1 will be the same at rank #5.

This poll is for shows that have ended prior to the regular airings of the Summer 2010 season. The following shows qualify for any of these categories:

-Angel Beats!
-Arakawa Under the Bridge
-Bakemonogatari
-B Gata H Kei
-Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou
-Durarara!!
-Gokyoudai Monogatari
-Sarai-ya Goyou (House of Five Leaves)
-Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Hagane no Renkinjutsushi (2009))
-Hakuouki: Shinsengumi Kitan
-Ikkitousen: Xtreme Xecutor
-Kaidan Restaurant
-Kiss x Sis 2010
-Masuda Kousuke Gekijou Gag Manga Biyori +
-Mayoi Neko Overrun!
-Ookiku Furikabutte: Natsu no Taikai-hen
-Shin Koihime Musou ~Otome Tairan~
-Seikon no Qwaser
-Senkou no Night Raid
-Stitch! Itazura Alien no Daibouken
-Working!!
-Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei (Tatami Galaxy)

The purpose of this is to lessen the strain when it comes to vote at the end of the year. The top 3 of each category for each season will proceed to the final poll in December of each year for the respective category that a series qualifies in.

FAQ:
1) Why aren't OVAs/movies/ONA/OAD/specials/etc... considered?
Due to the irregular airing pattern of these types of shows, it makes it difficult to provide fair competition, especially if an OVA decides to span over the course of several years (e.g. Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team). People forget this series or it could be vice versa. I may consider doing one specifically for OVAs and movies in the long-run, but not right now.

2) What about shows like Hetalia?
Shows like Hetalia and Yutori-chan will be considered exceptions as they follow a regular airing pattern despite airing for a shorter time frame.

3) Where will shows like Bakemonogatari fall? It took a year to finish!
Bakemonogatari finished prior to the start of Summer 2010, so it will compete with shows that finished airing after the start of Spring 2010 and prior to Summer 2010.

4) What about ongoing shows like Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, Dragon Ball Kai, Pokemon, and One Piece?
These will not be considered until they completely finish. Naruto is considered separate from Naruto Shippuuden so the original Naruto series would have qualified for whenever it finished. Pokemon/Pocket Monsters, although finishes "specific" season, the episode count number continues directly so it is considered ongoing. Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's is separate from Duel Monsters and GX.

5) OMG you don't have *Insert anime title here*! *Insert anime title here* should be #1 on every season! I'm going to put it down until you and everyone here agrees.
Welcome to the world of anime. Such and such anime is not the only good anime out there. It takes more effort for one to rewrite a post multiple times than for me or any other mod to delete it, so stop wasting your time with useless posts.

6) You forgot to list something on the list. Can I still put a vote in for it?
Any show that I or you are unsure of finished airing, I will search for it. If it does indeed qualify, I will add it to the list. I do ask, however, that you make sure that the show is not just listed under a different name.

7) What if I have a specific question that hasn't been answered?
PM me or post in the thread. Spam will be deleted

Have Fun!

*Note: These threads will eventually be moved to the anime section once we get on a regular schedule. For now, it is to reduce clutter of pinned threads.
This poll will close during the week of August 9th (due to slowness of shows finishing up)

Putting it into a spoiler so that the list isnt too long (ok most likely the shortest which will be appearing here since I only vote for the for me interesting categories)

Best OP Theme
- Durarara OP 2 - "Complication" by ROOKiEZ is PUNK'D
- Hakuouki OP - "Izayoi Namida" by Aika Yoshioka
- Seikon no Qwaser OP 1 - "Errand" by faylan
- Senkou no Night Raid - "Yakusoku" by MUCC
- Shin Koihime†Musou ~Otome Tairan~ - "Renka Tairan" by Masami Okui

Best ED Theme
- Durarara ED 2 - "Butterfly" by ON/OFF
- Hakuoki ED - "Kimi no Kioku" By Mao
- Seikon no Qwaser ED 1 - "Passionate squall" by Ayumi Fujimura, Aki Toyosaki, Minori Chihara, Aya Hirano and Yoko Hikasa

Most Enjoyable
- Arakawa Under the Bridge
- Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou
- Shin Koihime Musou ~Otome Tairan~
- Working!!
- Seikon no Qwaser

Best Plot
- Durarara!!
- Angel Beats!
- B Gata H Kei

Most Original
- Seikon no Qwaser
- Durarara!!
- Angel Beats!

Best Development
- B Gata H Kei
- Angel Beats!

Worst Show
- Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei (Tatami Galaxy) (only thing I dropped)

Best Show
- Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou
- Durarara!!
- Shin Koihime Musou ~Otome Tairan~
- Working!!

Interesting category would be Best Character in my eyes, or most interesting character, since Best Character or Best Development are two completely different things in my eyes.
And I dont think we need a Most Original category because it doesnt really need a vote for the 1 or two shows each season that are really original.

Best OP Theme
Venus to Jesus (ヴィーナスとジーザス) by Etsuko Yakushimaru - Arakawa Under the Bridge
My Soul, Your Beats! by Lia - Angel Beats
Sign of Love by immi - Sarai-ya Goyou (House of Five Leaves)
Koinu to Ame no Bīto (迷子犬と雨のビート; Stray Puppy And The Beat Of Rain) by Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Tatami Galaxy
Sugar Sweet Nightmare by Yui Horie - Bakemonogatari

Best ED Theme
Sakasama Bridge (逆様ブリッジ) by Suneohair - Arakawa Under the Bridge
Brave Song by Aoi Tada - Angel Beats
all I need is... by Rake - Sarai-ya Goyou (House of Five Leaves)
Kami-sama no Iu Tōri (神様のいうとおり; As God Dictates) by Junji Ishiwatari & Yoshinori Sunahara + Etsuko Yakushimaru - Tatami Galaxy
Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari (君の知らない物語) by supercell - Bakemonogatari

Best Animation
Bakemonogatari
Durarara!!
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei (Tatami Galaxy)

Best Soundtrack
Sarai-ya Goyou (House of Five Leaves)
Bakemonogatari
Durarara!!
Arakawa Under the Bridge

Most Enjoyable
Bakemonogatari
Durarara!!
Arakawa Under the Bridge

Best Plot
Bakemonogatari
Durarara!!
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Most Original
Bakemonogatari
Durarara!!
Arakawa Under the Bridge

Bakemonogatari
Durarara!!
Arakawa Under the Bridge

Worst Show
Senkou no Night Raid
Seikon no Qwaser

Best Show
Bakemonogatari
Durarara!!
Arakawa Under the Bridge

Best Seiyuu (Voice Actor/Actress)
Sawashiro Miyuki - Celty Sturluson from Durarara!!; Kanbaru Suruga Bakemonogatari; Iwasawa Asami from Angel Beats.
Sakamoto Maaya - Akashi from Tatami Galaxy; Nino from Arakawa Under the Bridge.
Asanuma Shintaro - Watashi from Tatami Galaxy.

Bakemonogatari is missing from your the series list. If that was intentional, and I don't understand why it would be so, I will edit this submission.

Best OP Theme
Sign of Love by immi - Sarai-ya Goyou - House of Five Leaves
My Soul, Your Beats! by Lia - Angel Beats
Venus to Jesus by Etsuko Yakushimaru - Arakawa Under the Bridge
Complication by ROOKiEZ is PUNK'D - Durarara!

Best ED Theme
Shunkan Sentimental by SCANDAL - FMA: Brotherhood
Uhhh I'll get back to this one later

Best Animation
Bakemonogatari
FMA: Brotherhood
Durarara!!
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Tatami Galaxy

Best Soundtrack
Angel Beats
Uhhh....

Most Enjoyable
Arakawa under the bridge
Durarara!!
Angel Beats
Ookiku Furikabutte: Natsu no Taikai-hen

Best Plot
Durarara!!
Angel Beats

Most Original
Arakawa under the bridge
Durarara!!
Tatami Galaxy
Angel Beats

Bakemonogatari
Durarara!!
Ookiku Furikabutte: Natsu no Taikai-hen

Worst Show

Best Show
Durarara!!
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Angel Beats

Best Seiyuu (Voice Actor/Actress)
Sawashiro Miyuki - Celty Sturluson from Durarara!!
Sakamoto Maaya - Nino from Arakawa under the Bridge
Kamiya Hiroshi - Arararagi from Bakemonogatari, Otonashi Yuzuru from Angel Beats (well he had like 5 lead roles in this season, he definitely deserves some recognition!!)

Kit, before I do these, can you clarify for me where Bakemongatari is supposed to fall on these lists "Best of" lists? Your FAQ suggests it should be in this one but its not on the list.

QUOTE (wedora @ Jul 21 2010, 05:29 PM) Kit, before I do these, can you clarify for me where Bakemongatari is supposed to fall on these lists "Best of" lists? Your FAQ suggests it should be in this one but its not on the list.
sorry about the late reply. Yes, Bakemonogatari should be on this list and I've edited as so now.

This one will stay open for another two weeks to hopefully bring in more votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back