Best and Worst of 2010/2011 (Discussion Thread)

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Kit-Tsukasa

-desu
Retired
This is a discussion thread for the best and worse of 2010. Express your thoughts on this year. Let your arguments run free and debate! (don't get too out of hand though). Did you like this year? Was this the worst year in history or the best? With two weeks until the New Year, let your thoughts out for everyone to hear and discuss.

You can also vote on your favorites in this thread here:
Preliminary: http://boards.fansub.tv/?showtopic=10112
Finals: http://boards.fansub.tv/?showtopic=10123
Results: http://boards.fansub.tv/?showtopic=10141
Suggestions for Improvements: Read Here

Questions regarding the poll should also be posted here or PMed to me.

Well to me the more i think about it Kemono no Souja Erin is the best show of the year: Solid plot, great ost (though quite limited so ookami kakushi topped it in the soundtrack part for me), original and most important exceptionally enjoying. I believe quite a number of people liked it here as well.
Putting aside the few good really niche things we had. I believe this year was a bit disappointing. No solid mainstream anime which would be enjoyable to all aside from KHR :| so was really hard finding people who where watching the same things as me (outside of FTV).

Anyway, what would you guys put at 1st place from all those categories (like Erin for me)?
happy.gif

didn't Kemono no Souja Erin end just before 2010 started?

As for me, Katanagatari was one of the best for me. gotta look back to see if there were any others I liked

QUOTE (Xanadu @ Dec 17 2010, 11:17 PM) didn't Kemono no Souja Erin end just before 2010 started?

she's in the (Eligible series ending before Winter 2009/2010) so xD

I think we should include the series that are soon ending too since they are part of 2010.

Sorry Nioki but I dropped Kemono no Souja Erin after Soyon died because it was really boring after that for me.

Btw, here is the Top 10 from ch with quite a surprise at top:
1. Tantei Opera Milky Holmes
2. The Tatami Galaxy
3. K-ON!!
4. Shinryaku! Ika Musume
5. Ore no Imouto
6. Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
7. Working!
8. Angel Beats!
9. Strike Witches 2
10. Sora no Otoshimono II

But I must say Tantei Opera Milky Holmes really is a nice series. Its fun, cute and often sexy. And plot isnt that bad either, nothing new but interesting ^^ But it has interesting characters. Still its not that high in my ranking.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Dec 17 2010, 05:28 PM) I think we should include the series that are soon ending too since they are part of 2010.

Sorry Nioki but I dropped Kemono no Souja Erin after Soyon died because it was really boring after that for me.

Btw, here is the Top 10 from ch with quite a surprise at top:
1. Tantei Opera Milky Holmes
2. The Tatami Galaxy
3. K-ON!!
4. Shinryaku! Ika Musume
5. Ore no Imouto
6. Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
7. Working!
8. Angel Beats!
9. Strike Witches 2
10. Sora no Otoshimono II

But I must say Tantei Opera Milky Holmes really is a nice series. Its fun, cute and often sexy. And plot isnt that bad either, nothing new but interesting ^^ But it has interesting characters. Still its not that high in my ranking.
The list screams moe fest with the exception of Tatami Galaxy. Milky Holmes is fun and cute but bad, especially episode 10. Episode 10 felt like a trollfest and was done at the last minute. Honestly speaking, I too thought that Kemono no Souja Erin was a beautiful series. Yumeiro Patissiere was also wonderful. I will be finishing Katanagatari later today to see what the hype is regarding the last episode. Apparently it ends on a very solid note.

As for why I didn't include fall 2010 shows, it's the way how I'll be running this annual vote from now on. The fall 2010 shows will be up for vote in mid-late January/early February. Top 3 of each group will proceed to the annual vote next year.

The categories Best Character (not hottest, not moest or anything) and Biggest Surprise are missing in my eyes.
Biggest Surprise would be both positiv and negativ, for example Arakawa under the Bridge was a huge positive Surprise while Dance in the Vampire Bund was negativ.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Dec 19 2010, 02:43 AM) The categories Best Character (not hottest, not moest or anything) and Biggest Surprise are missing in my eyes.
Biggest Surprise would be both positiv and negativ, for example Arakawa under the Bridge was a huge positive Surprise while Dance in the Vampire Bund was negativ.
Best Character would be complicated given the number of characters/choices

The problem with biggest surprise is that not every show has a "surprise" to begin with making the choices too limited.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Dec 19 2010, 11:26 AM) The problem with biggest surprise is that not every show has a "surprise" to begin with making the choices too limited.
I used "most original" for this, since in most cases it ends up being the same. However, "most original" leaves out the negative side of "biggest surprise"

Youre not really understanding my meaning of "Biggest Surprise". With that I meant a series that was a lot better than you thought before watching it (like Arakawa under the Bridge) or worse than you imagined (like Dance of the Vampire Bund).
I didnt mean a surprise inside the show, but the show itself.

"Most Original" for me is something that wasnt already their, or at least not completely like that, it doesnt have something to do with beeing a surprise or not.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Dec 19 2010, 02:02 PM) Youre not really understanding my meaning of "Biggest Surprise". With that I meant a series that was a lot better than you thought before watching it (like Arakawa under the Bridge) or worse than you imagined (like Dance of the Vampire Bund).
I didnt mean a surprise inside the show, but the show itself.
I did understand what you were asking for. I'll consider adding it for next year, which will start in January/February

Best animes this year:

Strike Witches 2
K-ON 2
Sora no Otoshimono 2
Yosuga no Sora
Ladies vs Butlers
Chu Bra
Black Rock Shooter OVA
Ore no Imouto
To Love Ru 2
Fate Stay Night UBW movie

Worst animes of the year:

Vampire Bund
Negima!? OVAs
Bakemonogatari
Hayate the Combat Bulter
Shana OVAs
Samurai Girls
To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Just barely though. Kept expecting something epic to happen with this one. It never did.
Giant Killing
Nanoha Movie

I kinda understand lots of people putting Vampire Bund in the worst anime list. Nut what was so wrong with Bakemonogatari? I believe it was quite solid. oO

Bakemonogatari is one of those anime that you either love it or hate it. there is no in between with this one.

QUOTE (Shinobu's_Lover @ Dec 20 2010, 07:32 PM) Bakemonogatari is one of those anime that you either love it or hate it. there is no in between with this one.
Totally forgot those types exist
tongue.gif
Well yeah it makes sense that way
biggrin.gif

I dont know why but somehow Shinobus list reads like a totally ironic list you know. Probably because its totally different of the main-opinion of this forum. And probably because I cant really understand some of the choices.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Dec 20 2010, 12:50 PM) I dont know why but somehow Shinobus list reads like a totally ironic list you know. Probably because its totally different of the main-opinion of this forum. And probably because I cant really understand some of the choices.
PM me why you think it's ironic and against everyone else? and how you can't understand my choices.
huh.gif

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Dec 20 2010, 10:50 AM) I dont know why but somehow Shinobus list reads like a totally ironic list you know. Probably because its totally different of the main-opinion of this forum. And probably because I cant really understand some of the choices.
^this.
Not to mention the range/genre is rather narrow too. Not to pick on Shinobu, but with the exception of Fate/Stay Night and Black Rock Shooter, it's pretty much all moe/ecchi in the top half and everything else below.

For me at least, it's just Shinobu has a greatly differing taste from me, but I've known that for a long time now.
Case in point: I would put SnO, Chu-bra, Ladies vs Butlers, and FSN UBW movie at the bottom of my list with Bakemonogatari, Negima OVAs, Railgun, and (for what I saw) Giant Killing towards the top of my list. Not necessarily anything wrong with that. Actually kinda helpful cause if its a show I know Shinobu really doesn't like or stays away from, then it's a show that I might want to give a shot.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Dec 20 2010, 12:47 PM) ^this.
Not to mention the range/genre is rather narrow too. Not to pick on Shinobu, but with the exception of Fate/Stay Night and Black Rock Shooter, it's pretty much all moe/ecchi in the top half and everything else below.
Yeah, actually when I read it also I thought it was a joke, more or less because everything in the top category was moe/ecchi, and some of the things in the bottom category don't seem to belong there. Originally it seemed like kind of a parody of the 2ch list.

I can understand how some of the things in that category could be a "Hey, this isn't for me," like Giant Killing, Railgun, Bakemonogatari and Da Bund. Hyakka Ryouran, while pretty terrible, has very high production quality. (Like a finely crafted golden turd, it has a saving grace).

There's a big difference between "Worst Show" and "Least Enjoyable Show" imo. Something like the Negima OVAs is a really good pick for Worst Show, because there's nothing good I can really say about it. Giant Killing on the other hand, I have no interest in because I dislike sports anime, but I can't say the show was poorly done, so I would never put that under "Worst Show".

Then again we don't have two categories, "Worst Show" and "Least Enjoyable Show", we only have one category. Considering that, Shinobu's choices for Worst Show are pretty reasonable, even though I have different taste. If there aren't different categories, may as well lump "Least Enjoyable" in with "Worst" *shrug*

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back