Best and Worst of 2010/2011 (Discussion Thread)

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE In that case, consider it done. Best Seiyuu will be changed to Best Character under the restriction that the character must be fully identifiable. This means that the character must not only be a recurring character in the series (i.e. the character cannot just show up for 5 minutes in one episode and never show up again). The character must serve a primary or secondary role in the main cast. Anything below that will be considered null.  This is to avoid random nominations like the ones in Saimoe, e.g. "the girl on was walking in a swimsuit in the background in Code Geass"

From the way you say that I take it people actually tried to nominate minor side characters ><

QUOTE I did this for a couple years when I first started this, but then I had complaints let alone realizations that this is a very poor method in prelims because of how much more easily the results can be skewed.

That there is a difference between the votes of two people voting for the same characters in a different order, is, I think, an advantage, rather than a disadvantage of weighting votes. A huge swing with only two votes, on the other hand, is to be expected. Small sample size normally causes that.

In other words, there are certainly bigger swings, especially with a small sample size, because each vote carries more information about people's preferences than with a non-weighted vote system. Put another way, the fact that weighted votes would treat your hypothetical people's votes differently depending on the order they were put in is a good thing. It shows that ranking is being taken into account.

There is no perfect system to deal with a small sample size (less than 20 votes, as we received in the prelims). With unweighted nominations, you're going to get a lot of ties, and some mediocre shows will be overvalued. With weighted nominations you're going to get some swings.

The best solution is actually just to increase the number of voters. In an unweighted system you will get less ties from more votes, and in a weighted system you will get smaller swings.

Either way, your position is somewhat unenviable. Someone will complain no matter how you run the poll =x

Another category I intend on correcting is Best Soundtrack to simply Best Sound, which would be defined as ranging from appropriate voice casting to background themes, and so on. Thoughts on this?

Its a bit broad, but much more user-friendly than soundtrack. It has some troubles, (comparing apples to oranges), but...I think its better. I got the impression people had a lot of difficulty (I know I had a little, myself) selecting series to vote for in the soundtrack category. In the prelims, 9/17 people selected 1 or 0 shows for soundtrack, and 13/17 picked 3 or less shows.

So, trading one problem for another? Yeah, maybe. But an overbroad category seems better than a specific one that people are having trouble voting for.

Nice changes you made Kit.

But I already see a problem for me and probably only for me. I really doubt that I will have three good OPs and EDs every season. Just like this Winter season where only two OPs are good and no ED. But as I said probably only a problem for me ^^

Doing it 4 times a years makes it a lot easier to vote since the titles are fresh and you dont have that mass of votes. I even only had to chose between 5 characters, less than I thought.
But there were about five choices for Biggest Surprise, what is actually a surprise in itself ^^
I dont know but does if matter to you if the surprise is negative or positive or is both the same in term of ranking? You know is Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai as a positive surprise the same as Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai as a negative surprise, each counting one for that show or are both individual votes since there is a huge difference between beeing a negative or positibe surprise? After all there is the possibility that someone votes something as positive surprise someone else voted as a negative suprise (for example Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai).

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Feb 08 2011, 03:32 AM) I dont know but does if matter to you if the surprise is negative or positive or is both the same in term of ranking? You know is Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai as a positive surprise the same as Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai as a negative surprise, each counting one for that show or are both individual votes since there is a huge difference between beeing a negative or positibe surprise? After all there is the possibility that someone votes something as positive surprise someone else voted as a negative suprise (for example Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai).
No. I thought that was the whole point of the category you asked for? The purpose of a series being either a good surprise or a bad a surprise that is. Or did I not make that clear enough in the introduction post?

QUOTE But I already see a problem for me and probably only for me. I really doubt that I will have three good OPs and EDs every season. Just like this Winter season where only two OPs are good and no ED. But as I said probably only a problem for me ^^
I actually had the opposite issue. I liked a lot of the ones last season and I already see a decent lineup for the upcoming season. Either way, I had to cap the vote limit somewhere and I thought 3 was a good number to start with since most people usually keep up with 3 series a season.

Surprise:
A ok. Ist just wanted to know if the series gets one vote regardless or positive or not or if that will be separated since that isnt really clear in the description.

OPs & EDs:
Problem is I dont like Pop since for me thats a insult for music and most OPs and EDs are Pop in my eyes(!) so I only like a few each season, some seasons more some less and currently there is only the Yumekui Merry OP and Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica OP which are good the rest sucks.

And yes 3 is a good number since 5 votes would be really hard in some categories and 2 or 1 would be hard too ^^

I gotta agree with Killer O. Even though our tastes are different, this season is pretty brutal when it comes to music. The only thing I like is the Level E OP. But what are you going to do? If there is only one song you like, just vote for that one. Or none, which may be the case for me with EDs for the current season.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Feb 09 2011, 07:57 AM) OPs & EDs:
Problem is I dont like Pop since for me thats a insult for music and most OPs and EDs are Pop in my eyes(!) so I only like a few each season, some seasons more some less and currently there is only the Yumekui Merry OP and Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica OP which are good the rest sucks.
eh Gosick's ED theme is amazing Level E's ED is also pretty good. lol for Japanese music it's pretty much mostly pop at this point with bits of J-Rock thrown in here and there. Fractale's music also pretty solid. Madoka's music is sollid, no question. ClariS is amazing for being a pair of junior high students and already making 2 solid and major singles, and of course Kalafina is just awesome

Hey Kit,

Break Blade 2 came out in early September. Was that too early for Fall season eligibility as a Movie? Or are you treating it as an OVA series? I think that would be a reasonable way to handle it despite it's theatrical release.

QUOTE (AccipiterF1 @ Feb 18 2011, 09:40 AM) Hey Kit,

Break Blade 2 came out in early September. Was that too early for Fall season eligibility as a Movie? Or are you treating it as an OVA series? I think that would be a reasonable way to handle it despite it's theatrical release.
I'm doing it based on DVD/BD release date for movies. Break Blade is considered a movie. Also, due to the nature of Break Blade, it will not be considered as part of the voting process until later this year when all volumes are finally released.

QUOTE (AccipiterF1 @ Apr 23 2011, 02:12 PM) Is Best of Winter happening or not?
Yeah it is. I'm putting it together. I delayed it due to all the airings of final episodes being delayed last month. It should be ready within the next few days.

Wolf-san, I can't believe you voted Hanasaku Iroha OP for best of the season. The person on the vocals for the show's OP/ED has possibly the most annoying high-pitched voice in the world.

Also, @Kit, I don't see why OVAs are restricted to just one category, IMO series and OVA should be eligible for all categories other than their respective "best of" nomination. It's getting hard enough to vote as is given the "at least 4 series" rule (and I see why it's there).

Wait what.
blink.gif

*checks said post*

Oh.... that. Well it's a rather catchy OP song after a while if you ask me mind you. Also, I'm kind of used to the high pitched voiced songs for other series tha tI've watched as well.
tongue.gif

Besides the series isn't half bad either, if you ask me.
wink.gif

Well, the series itself isn't in question... Although if you look carefully, it's not on the list since it's running 26 eps
tongue.gif

It's the voice of doom, though. And the worst part is that every episode starts directly with the OP (i.e. no short recap or pre-OP sequence), so it hits my ears immediately as I launch the ep, without giving me time to pause or skip before the mental damage is done
laugh.gif

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Jun 26 2011, 05:15 PM) Oh.... that. Well it's a rather catchy OP song after a while if you ask me mind you. Also, I'm kind of used to the high pitched voiced songs for other series tha tI've watched as well.
tongue.gif

Besides the series isn't half bad either, if you ask me.
wink.gif

I'm with Kid-Wolf here. nano.RIPE definitely does not have the best voice in the world, but the opening for Hanasaku Iroha is very catchy. I've come to enjoy it. Surely not the best opening this season though in my opinion. Also, Hanasaku Iroha is not eligible. It's not finished.

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Jun 26 2011, 05:11 PM)
Also, @Kit, I don't see why OVAs are restricted to just one category, IMO series and OVA should be eligible for all categories other than their respective "best of" nomination. It's getting hard enough to vote as is given the "at least 4 series" rule (and I see why it's there).
The OVA section is an experimental section right now. The big issue with OVAs is so hard to predict if they're one shots or not. For example, Kaibutsu Oujo was recently revised from 2 episodes to 3 episodes. Kiss x Sis keeps adding on more episodes and Air Gear sees no end in sight at the moment.
Movies are also hard because the DVD/BD release timing have been getting weirder and weirder for the past couple years. Before, it was easy to predict, exactly 6 or 7 months after the movie aired in theaters it would be out on VHS/DVD. Now, it could be up to a year (or more) hence why I'm being a bit restrictive. Then there's the issue with subs being available. For example, Norageki (your vote) was released in January, but we didn't gets subs for it until May hence I'm unsure as to how to count it.

Given how small the list is this season, I'll change the restriction to 3. Will this work?

QUOTE The OVA section is an experimental section right now. The big issue with OVAs is so hard to predict if they're one shots or not. For example, Kaibutsu Oujo was recently revised from 2 episodes to 3 episodes. Kiss x Sis keeps adding on more episodes and Air Gear sees no end in sight at the moment.
Movies are also hard because the DVD/BD release timing have been getting weirder and weirder for the past couple years. Before, it was easy to predict, exactly 6 or 7 months after the movie aired in theaters it would be out on VHS/DVD. Now, it could be up to a year (or more) hence why I'm being a bit restrictive. Then there's the issue with subs being available. For example, Norageki (your vote) was released in January, but we didn't gets subs for it until May hence I'm unsure as to how to count it.

Didn't we always have and OVA section? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I see how it can be more difficult to handle with voting separate for each season. Still, since we're an English language site, why don't we just count things by sub release dates? I only know a handful of people on this site who actually watch RAWs.

QUOTE Given how small the list is this season, I'll change the restriction to 3. Will this work?

I'm guessing the original numbers were carried over from the all-year poll where it made sense. With the list limited to one season, 2-3 seems like a more reasonable restriction, since, well, one needs not only to watch a certain number of series, but also to like them enough to vote them.

The OP from Hanasakeru Iroha is the only OP/ED this season I really like, everything else sucks. At least with normal speed. But songs like the ones from Gosick are really great with 1,5x speed and a few others are good too with that speed.

^ In other words, the voices in other songs aren't squeaky enough for you, so you speed them up until they are
rolleyes.gif

No making them faster doesnt make them squeakier, only faster.
Im watching almost all animes with at least 1,5x speed since the japanese are so damn slow at talking I would fall asleep would I watch it with normal speed. And their music, too, is mostly so damn slow and I hate slow music. Thats why I dislike most OPs and EDs.
Music has to be fast and blasting or its not music.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back