Berserk MANGA!

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE (qrdel @ Apr 12 2011, 11:16 AM) I don't think that there'll be any important revenge soon. Gutts may be all hectic atm, but even despite all this I sincerely doubt he'll point his sword against him.
Really? I thought as I watched the ending of the anime and then went on to read the manga, that Gutts entire point of "now" existence was just that...to exact revenge upon Griffith. Well, aside from his beloved, Caska, it seems to be the only thing that motivates him.
I did read though, that perhaps like you say, qrdel-san, there is too much history and love for him to eventually follow through. How long it will take for us to ever find out, who knows? I still like the story though but after so much time, it felt a bit odd for me to be reading it...but I assume you understand what I mean by that.

Don't you think there's something more out there than just God's Hand?

Sure, Griff did his best to entertain Gutts all this time, killed his comrades, tormented Caska, took over the entire kingdom... But there's more to it than meets the eye imho.
This series is much like an entertaining book: it starts off from minor things and goes up to climax in which everything that we've seen so far is overthrown and depicted as minor...
Just to make it more clear:
The manga begins with Gutts killing monsters of a size of a small house. The rampage goes on with bigger monsters, then we have a several-volume-long flashback in which Gutts first cuts soldiers, then demons, then soldiers again and demons again. After that we have "Butterfly Children arc", "Black Witch", "The Tower of Retribution" (which in fact is an oversized EVE OF THE FEAST), "Windam arc" etc. When we think that nothing bigger can come up - boom, Griff is reborn, Windam overthrown by a gigantic tree of an empreror and Gutts goes on a total rampage with gigantic cats. Followed by some water and ships combat, Griff and his army taking on "Sairaag" by himself and becoming a f*cking god we now have a journey to the goddamn Elf king slash Poseidon arc on the way. I mean, seriously?

QUOTE (qrdel @ Apr 13 2011, 02:40 PM) Don't you think there's something more out there than just God's Hand?
Sure, Griff did his best to entertain Gutts all this time, killed his comrades, tormented Caska, took over the entire kingdom... But there's more to it than meets the eye imho.
This series is much like an entertaining book: it starts off from minor things and goes up to climax in which everything that we've seen so far is overthrown and depicted as minor...

Of course, all that happens, I am up to date with the story too, but in my humble opinion, all the distractions (major and minor, whatever) until he encounters Griffith, are just that, distractions. Sure, everyone has their opinions on just what drives Gutts but I still think it is that unrelenting hatred for Griffith. While still a fan, I can't help but sometimes think we are led here and there and everywhere, until we get back to the main story while still in it. And since he's the hero of this adventure story...the world revolves around him...though Griffith may be strong and now, even moreso, I still prefer Gutts's view of the world. I am no expert when it comes to explaining their world, I leave that to you, qrdel-san.
Me? I'll just keep tagging along until we see where this long and arduous road of the long suffering hero, Gutts, finally leads and ends.
wink.gif

I'm no expert either. I just read the manga two or three times altogether and I just can't seem to believe that the final scene is Gutts piercing Griffith.

If you ask me, Griffith may cast his life for Gutts to defeat something bigger. You can say all you want, but despite all they are still FRIENDS. If that wasn't the case, why would Miura talk about friendship for almost 40 volumes... Sure, Gutts is furious, Griff indifferent, Caska absent, but in the end... well, they'll stand together I'm sure.

QUOTE (qrdel @ Apr 13 2011, 03:18 PM) I'm no expert either. I just read the manga two or three times altogether and I just can't seem to believe that the final scene is Gutts piercing Griffith.

If you ask me, Griffith may cast his life for Gutts to defeat something bigger. You can say all you want, but despite all they are still FRIENDS. If that wasn't the case, why would Miura talk about friendship for almost 40 volumes... Sure, Gutts is furious, Griff indifferent, Caska absent, but in the end... well, they'll stand together I'm sure.
I never said they were not friends...a deep bond was formed long ago between those two, and such a one that cannot be destroyed so easily despite the hatred, on Gutt's part and lust for power on Griffith's. I presume nothing with regards to the final outcome...I only hope it will be over-the-top dramatic and a ball-buster.

I too dont think that its only revenge that is driving Gutts. The main point is in my eyes his love for Caska and how he can find a way to get her back to her old self. The God Hand, Griffith and what ever are just things standing in his way and will probably fall sooner or later.
But I dont really think we will ever see Berserk end. The Mangaka will probably die of old age before that seeing at how slowly the chapters are coming.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Apr 13 2011, 04:12 PM) But I dont really think we will ever see Berserk end. The Mangaka will probably die of old age before that seeing at how slowly the chapters are coming.
Many think that way, at least, from what I have read on other forums but it sure would be a shame since it deserves a solid ending. In a way, I would feel like it was all in vain if he does not wrap it up...so many years invested and not to end it? Perhaps, he's groomed a few, to follow in his foot steps, should death come knocking? Who knows.
Now, while we have all seen the trailers...here's someone who I am really looking forward to meeting in the animated style...the noble Skull Knight. What an awesome character he is...rich in story telling too...I am sure his life alone, would make for a great manga and/or series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg5ucAFwH7g&feature=related

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back