Aquarion EVOL

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

julez

-chibi
Retired

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Genre: Mecha, drama, romance, action

Chief Director: Shoji Kawamori
Director: Yusuke Yamamoto

Studio: Satelight, 8bit

Music: Yoko Kanno
Opening Theme:
#1: "Kimi no Shinwa ~ Aquarion Dai Ni Shou" (君の神話〜アクエリオン第二章) by AKINO with bless4
Ending Theme:
#1: "Gekkō Symphonia" (月光シンフォニア; Moonlight Symphonia) by AKINO & AIKI from bless4
Number of episodes: 26

Plot Summary: 12,000 years have passed in this world, the story of Apollon and Sylvie have become a children's story called "Skies Of Aquaria". The "Abductors" Invaders from Altea come to Earth with only one purpose, they invade to harvest humans. DEAVA the Aquaria Academy exists to train men and women to use Aquaria, but they cannot ever merge because of Guize stones, these block an "unholy union" between genders. The story follows Amata and Mikono in their enrollment into DEAVA, and fight the Abductors.

Voice Actors (Seiyuu):
Ai Kayano as Mikono Suzushiro
Ayumi Fujimura as MIX
Daisuke Namikawa as Shrade
Hiroki Touchi as Apollon
Hiroki Yasumoto as Izumo
Jun Fukushima as Jin
Junichi Suwabe as Donar
Kana Hanazawa as Zessica
Keiji Fujiwara as Fudo Zen
Kenichi Suzumura as Cayenne Suzushiro
Kensuke Satou as Malloy
Kiyono Yasuno as Shushu
Kouki Uchiyama as Kagura
Kousuke Toriumi as Andy W Hole
Megumi Nakajima as Sazanka Bianca
Minoru Inaba as Elco (Elcho)
Rie Tanaka as Alisia (Alicia)
Ryōta Asari as Male Operator
Sakura Tange as Crea Drosera
Sanae Kobayashi as Suomi
Shinsuke Nagashima as General Soldier B
Tetsu Inada as Principal/Commander
Yūichi Nakamura as Mikage
Yuuka Hirose as Female Operator
Yuuki Kaji as Amata Sora

Thoughts: I'm surprised that a thread hasn't been made for this awesome show...
unsure.gif

I'm so glad that Ausdo pointed out to me much earlier that it was not required to watch the first Aquarion to enjoy this. Sure there are some references to the original, but I am following it just fine.
I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Macross Frontier, since I'm getting the same vibes from it (same creator after all). It may not reach the same heights as Macross F, but music and animation wise it comes close. The music, the music, the music..... Yoko Kanno I'm so glad you're involved in this!
smile.gif

The only thing I dislike about the series so far is Amata's voice, done by Yuuki Kaji (SHU in Guilty Crown). He does sound better here, but I find his overall tone annoying. Anther interesting fact, that a lot of Guilty Crown voice actors are in this project as well and playing lead roles characers like Ai Kayano (Inori in GC, Mikono here), Yuichi Nakamura (Gai in GC, Mykage in AE), Kana Hanazawa (Ayase in GC, the lovable Zessic in AE), Kouki Uchiyama (Daryl Yan in GC, Kagura in AE)...

Well not too sure about this one since the first Aquarion violently turned me off.. Yoko Kanno though is probably the only reason I'll check this out.... but I might as well just get the soundtrack. Plus Scamp ("thecartdriver"/"terribad anime review") didn't have much positive to say about this.
Anyone, who has checked this out, have any opinions about this? And if you watched the original is it as bad as that ( of course if that was bad in your eyes as well)?

I cannot guarantee that you will like it Nioki, or to anyone else for that matter. However it has captured my attention and I'll more than likely be following it til the last episode.
I find that there is a good balance of humor, action, romance, drama and the animation is top notch... (at least thus far). Yes the whole "combining" vectors to form Aquarion has them making sexual facial expressions and sounds like they're about to orgasm, is that going to put you off? I have not seen the original but I've heard that it wasn't that great, as far as I can see this one is an improvement.

This is probably the biggest troll-series Ive ever seen. Its a hilarious ride since this anime is so ridiculous and doesnt even try to be serious. From the names of the characters (Andy W. Hole, spoken Andy Bunghole) to the names of the attacks, the perverted binding and what the characters do and say.
I never saw the first series, but after this I defenitely will someday since this here is pure enjoyment if youre willing to let yourself into it.
You could compare it to stuff like Star Driver.

So far I couldn't recommend this series with a strait face. It's not horrible but a the same time that probably wouldn't convince you it's worth watching either. Like Julez says it does have a lot of different elements to the story. So if you like a mixture of different genre's you might be inclined to watch it. But ultimately I would say that it's lacking something to make it interesting enough to get excited about. Maybe it's that it tries so many different things and doesn't necessarily do any of it extraordinarily well is my major issue. True the anime is of a high visual quality but these characters are just too bland for my taste. Plus the plot is just hmm what is the word I'm looking for? You know actually can anyone really explain the plot right w/out having to look up a synopsis? If I can't 4-5 episodes into the story, that's usually a telling sign that I might be better off spending my time elsewhere.

I dunno, maybe not seeing the first one actually makes it better? I like the show and didn't even know it was a sequel. Then again, I didn't even notice the innuendos mentioned. I just liked it because the combat is fun, the characters are decent, and the setting and plot is so convoluted and hazy that it kinda keeps you interested in that all-too-common slowly reveal the situation kind of way. The CG and combat is certainly very macross-y, but there's no combat singing, thank god.

QUOTE (senpai-kun @ Jan 31 2012, 09:55 PM) True the anime is of a high visual quality but these characters are just too bland for my taste.
Bland characters eh......

kirinomix.jpg

I'm not posting on this thread because I want to....

biggrin.gif

Some eye candy for the ladies:

Although what you said about the plot is true, there is no way I could explain what is going on to somebody, I'd have to copy+paste the synopsis.

QUOTE (wedora)I just liked it because the combat is fun, the characters are decent, and the setting and plot is so convoluted and hazy that it kinda keeps you interested in that all-too-common slowly reveal the situation kind of way. The CG and combat is certainly very macross-y, but there's no combat singing, thank god. I feel the exact same way you do... I can't wait to see where it's headed... overall I find it a very exciting and fun show to watch.

QUOTE (julezia @ Jan 31 2012, 04:20 PM)Bland characters eh......

kirinomix.jpg

I'm not posting on this thread because I want to....

biggrin.gif

Some eye candy for the ladies:

Although what you said about the plot is true, there is no way I could explain what is going on to somebody, I'd have to copy+paste the synopsis.

Okay the girl in the middle is really hot and the megane is not too shabby either. I completely retract my previous comment about the characters being bland
wink.gif
haha. No, but seriously I was referring less about the looks and more about the actual characters. Do you actually see any of these characters as being someone you would actual remember let's say a year from now? Maybe you do, but I just don't see anyone standing out and that's what I meant by bland. But hey sometimes that's all overlooked when you girls get enough male eye candy huh? Sometimes I just watch for the female eye-candy
ph34r.gif
Yes, I'm so ashamed
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (senpai-kun @ Jan 31 2012, 01:32 PM) Okay the girl in the middle is really hot and the megane is not too shabby either. I completely retract my previous comment about the characters being bland 
wink.gif
haha. No, but seriously I was referring less about the looks and more about the actual characters. Do you actually see any of these characters as being someone you would actual remember let's say a year from now? Maybe you do, but I just don't see anyone standing out and that's what I meant by bland. But hey sometimes that's all overlooked when you girls get enough male eye candy huh? Sometimes I just watch for the female eye-candy
ph34r.gif
Yes, I'm so ashamed
rolleyes.gif

Meh...don't be ashamed, be proud, since I don't care if there is even eye-candy around...if the story is silly and bland, like this one is, in my humble opinion, I drop it. (dropped).
wink.gif
Now, of course, I gotta admire those who get beyond the story on looks alone...hats off to you Ossan.
wink.gif
Eye-candy alone ain't enough to watch anything mediocre (like this one is) when there are so many out there waiting on the anime line.
Anyway, I agree, this one just ain't for everyone, and if it be difficult to recommend? Even moreso! But, well, I tried.
tongue.gif

QUOTE (senpai-kun @ Jan 31 2012, 10:32 PM) No, but seriously I was referring less about the looks and more about the actual characters. Do you actually see any of these characters as being someone you would actual remember let's say a year from now? Maybe you do, but I just don't see anyone standing out and that's what I meant by bland. But hey sometimes that's all overlooked when you girls get enough male eye candy huh? Sometimes I just watch for the female eye-candy
ph34r.gif
Yes, I'm so ashamed
rolleyes.gif

Haha, I knew what you meant by bland, but I just had to run away with this idea that I had.

In my opinion it's too early to tell if any characters will be memorable or not, who knows they may surprise you. The creator behind this series has pulled off amazing and memorable animes in the past (ie. Macross, Escaflowne) so I'm fairly optimistic this will be good. Of course the first Aquarion series which he was also behind received a lukewarm response, so there's always the chance that this one will have a similar fate....
unsure.gif
but I'm enjoying it so far.

QUOTE (ImTakes @ Jan 31 2012, 06:03 PM) Now, of course, I gotta admire those who get beyond the story on looks alone...hats off to you Ossan.
wink.gif
Eye-candy alone ain't enough to watch anything mediocre (like this one is) when there are so many out there waiting on the anime line.
Anyway, I agree, this one just ain't for everyone, and if it be difficult to recommend? Even moreso! But, well, I tried.
tongue.gif

Yeah it's true I'm watching it but it's on the very edge of the cutting room floor. I could see myself dropping this series at any moment. I think since the animation quality was high I wanted to give it a chance to develop the characters more but the plot is still too iffy after watching episode 5. The prospects are not looking good
unsure.gif

QUOTE (julezia @ Jan 31 2012, 09:55 PM)
In my opinion it's too early to tell if any characters will be memorable or not, who knows they may surprise you. The creator behind this series has pulled off amazing and memorable animes in the past (ie. Macross, Escaflowne) so I'm fairly optimistic this will be good. Of course the first Aquarion series which he was also behind received a lukewarm response, so there's always the chance that this one will have a similar fate....    but I'm enjoying it so far.
The fact that the creator made Escaflowne does provide him credibility in my book also. If he did Macross Frontier then that's also a pretty good series as well. I didn't watch the first Aquarion and at the moment have no plans too.

Now getting to episode 5 they reveal some plot points. So now the students have gone co-ed and are paired off together. So the premise is that the students are absolutely not allowed to fall in love. But the catch is that they can get to the edge of love but not actually cross over into full blown love. Basically if they go past the edge of love Aquarion will go beserk
blink.gif
umm it sounds... idk what to say... it's what they explained.

So after they pair up the couples (trio for the main ones it seems) spend the day together getting electrocuted by this device if they are sensed to be falling in love. I guess the funny part of the show was supposed to be when Amata kept getting shot in the ass with a dart every time he was aroused by Mikono and Zessica and began to fly. But to me it got kinda lame and repetitive.

Then you have you the other pairing (trio) of some generic girl who doesn't seem will have much of a role, Shrade, and Mikono's brother. It seems like they are trying to have some kind of yaoi relationship here (julez now I see why you think it's awesome & have it rated as your favorite of the season?!) I see this as one of the fringe yaoi relationships because Mikono's brother seems way too easily persuaded to share a drink with Shrade to be a straight guy. Plus the generic girl partner seems more interesting in just fawning over them and watching them together. The writer will probably explain them as that kind of yaoi pairing because of the whole weird and vague "edge of love but not full blown love = power" angle. I could be wrong but it looks to being go in that general direction.

So even though some plot points were explained I wasn't too impressed with episode 5. I'll give it another episode (2 at the absolute very most.... but... idk...)

QUOTE (senpai-kun @ Feb 01 2012, 12:25 PM) Now getting to episode 5 they reveal some plot points. So now the students have gone co-ed and are paired off together. So the premise is that the students are absolutely not allowed to fall in love. But the catch is that they can get to the edge of love but not actually cross over into full blown love. Basically if they go past the edge of love Aquarion will go beserk
blink.gif
I don't think they fully understand the implications of why Aquarion went berserk, wasn't there another pilot with Donar and his girl? Maybe she was insanely jealous and that's what made it go crazy... just a theory thats floating around. Plus that sleeping beauty Mykage showed up out of the blue and took Donar's love as well as his arms and legs... his role has yet to be explained. Can it be that true love in the Aquarion summons his presence? That's kind of creepy...
unsure.gif

QUOTE (senpai-kun)So after they pair up the couples (trio for the main ones it seems) spend the day together getting electrocuted by this device if they are sensed to be falling in love. I guess the funny part of the show was supposed to be when Amata kept getting shot in the ass with a dart every time he was aroused by Mikono and Zessica and began to fly. But to me it got kinda lame and repetitive. That's true, that part made me facepalm as well... however, I did like it when Zessica was hitting on him to show Mikono she's not the only one that can make him fly, lol. People are speculating that Mikono has a real dark side since she's been likened to a donut with a hole in it
tongue.gif
ie. nothingness inside....

QUOTE (senpai-kun)The fact that the creator made Escaflowne does provide him credibility in my book also. If he did Macross Frontier then that's also a pretty good series as well. I didn't watch the first Aquarion and at the moment have no plans too.All I'm saying is that he produced some quality shows in the past. Now there were a few duds like the first Aquarion and Basquash (some liked it, but I couldn't get into that one...) but I'm hopeful that this will be enjoyable if nothing else.

QUOTE (senpai-kun)Then you have you the other pairing (trio) of some generic girl who doesn't seem will have much of a role, Shrade, and Mikono's brother. It seems like they are trying to have some kind of yaoi relationship here (julez now I see why you think it's awesome & have it rated as your favorite of the season?!) I see this as one of the fringe yaoi relationships because Mikono's brother seems way too easily persuaded to share a drink with Shrade to be a straight guy. Plus the generic girl partner seems more interesting in just fawning over them and watching them together. The writer will probably explain them as that kind of yaoi pairing because of the whole weird and vague "edge of love but not full blown love = power" angle. I could be wrong but it looks to being go in that general direction.I'm not into yaoi like I used to be, but I do find the relationship between the two guys to be interesting... and the fujoshi girl reminds me of my old self, so yes this provides some comedy relief on my part
biggrin.gif
I'm hoping that Cayenne will be paired off with another girl though... we'll see.

This whole love part sounds a lot like bs, but if you think about it it makes a lot of sense since its true that people get irrational when they are in love and in that state dont even hold back when it comes to murder or something like that. And love can very easily turn to hate and maybe that is what happened back then. Maybe the other guy was totally jealous of Dunar and betrayed earth and made a deal with Mykage and thus he took those two away and we might see them again.
Or the jealousy and the hate of the other guy was just stronger than the love of Dunar and his girl and thus Aquarion reacted more to that and went berserk.

I think the pick-up line "You stink deliciously" isnt really something you should try, even though it worked perfectly here. Seems like Mikono will be kidnapped now, since Amata is obviously no match against that red-haired guy.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Feb 01 2012, 03:52 PM) I think the pick-up line "You stink deliciously" isnt really something you should try, even though it worked perfectly here. Seems like Mikono will be kidnapped now, since Amata is obviously no match against that red-haired guy.
Mikono.... you're such a stinky wench.... I love you

Best romantic line ever? lol Seemed to work, since she fainted? lol
laugh.gif

Clearly Amata and Kagura are connected somehow (and Mikono has a strong connection with both). The previous Aquarion was all about past lives, so maybe they shared the same fate in the past or loved the same woman. There's the theory that they are both re-incarnations of the same person.. who knows.

I'm also curious about the mystery woman that disappears at the beginning of this show that had connection to Amata. She seems to be everywhere in the abductor universe, I wonder what significance she will have on the overall plot.

And Ossi, the third pilot was a woman. I wasn't sure either, until I found a screenshot of that brief scene online, here it is:

Oh youre right. Thought it were two guys. But that doesnt have to change much, maybe she was in love with the other girl too and betrayed them ^^ In this anime thats not so far off in my eyes.

The latest episode focused on Shrade, but I found it much more interesting to watch Kagura chase after Mikono. It's extremely odd that she would want to apologize to him when it should be the other way around because Kagura seriously lacks delicacy
tongue.gif
He kept saying that she stinks, how nice
tongue.gif
There's something very animal like about his nature, how he runs on all fours and relies heavily on his sense of smell...

I had to laugh when he asked Amata if he could kill him, Amata said no he would prefer if he didn't, and he just left it at that. It's like: would you like some coffee? no thanks. Oh okay then.
biggrin.gif

In my eyes Mikono seems to have a stronger bond with Kagura than Amata, and all three of them do have some kind of connection in the past. I can't wait to see how they are connected.

So it seems that Shrade got out with a bang. They shoudlve saved his power for a bigger and more important fight.

Mikonos reaction to Kagura really is strange, but since they share a dark destiny it seems that fate has his/her hands in it. I guess what she feels now is destiny calling out to her. Lets see if Amata can stop it or not.

I wonder how Shrade felt when he realized that his parents killed each other because of his music. Must be quite the shock for him. Its a surprise he grew up quite normal.

More Amata x Zessica moments please!
biggrin.gif
I think we can safely say after seeing how she clung onto him this episode that she really is interested, and not flirting just for fun.
The running gag of Amata flying up into the air whenever he's "excited" by Zessica's flirtatious personality and Mikono getting angry is becoming stale. Come on, it's not as if she's dating Amata, he can get excited all he wants and she has no say in it
tongue.gif
Plus she's harboring feelings for wild bad boy Kagura, so i'ts not as if she's being completely faithful to him either.
I kind of knew that the frog doll would end up being a placeholder for somebody, didn't quite expect it to be an invisible loli though. I laugh whenever they combine and become "Aquarion," especially this episode. "Ohhh they can see me, they can see me... and it feels so good...." *orgasm face*
laugh.gif

Yes this is still a lot of fun to watch. Its so full of archetypes (the strong womam beeing scared to death of something useless) and clichee that its great again.
But I totally can understand Mikoto. After all his "Mikoto this and Mikoto that" and whatnot he still flys for everyone, even for invisible lolis (ok thats something new).
The best scene defenitely was when the invisible loli made contact with them in the night. I think everyone wouldve been creeped out by that.
I wonder if it was Amata flying or Zessicas strength alone that made her carrying him like that. Either way it was great.

The only person whos a downer is that prude megane girl. But she will get her share of Aquarion-Love and Im looking forward to that
tongue.gif

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Feb 15 2012, 05:37 PM) But I totally can understand Mikoto. After all his "Mikoto this and Mikoto that" and whatnot he still flys for everyone, even for invisible lolis (ok thats something new).

The only person whos a downer is that prude megane girl. But she will get her share of Aquarion-Love and Im looking forward to that
tongue.gif

Hmm yeah that is true, he's acted like Mikono is the only one for him before and that he must protect her no matter what... and then.... gets excited by Zessica's cleavage XD I suppose the argument here would be: well he's a guy so.....

QUOTE (Ossi)The only person whos a downer is that prude megane girl. But she will get her share of Aquarion-Love and Im looking forward to that
tongue.gif
She's totally going to fall head over heels for Andy, because opposites attract right? I bet she'll be the first girl that Andy will "combine" with too.
laugh.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back