Anime Recommendation

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Gosick is licensed, I think, so you won't find DLs here. You should be able to stream it on Crunchyroll. (In general, if FTV doesn't have download links, that means the show is either licensed or streaming, in which case you can wait to buy DVDs as they come out, look on streaming sites like Crunchyroll, Niconico or FUNimation official, or acquire it through not-so-legal means).

So Gosick is from what, winter? Since then I'd recommend Madoka, Tiger & Bunny, Hanasaku Iroha, No. 6, Natsume Yuujinchou S3, Usagi Drop, Mawaru Penguindrum.

All right everyone! I haven't watched a (new) anime since ... whatever year Clannad After Story & K-on season 1 came out in. What are the best series that have come out since? Anything not overly stereotypical would be great (I'm watching Ben-to right now, but not sure I'll keep it up). I feel very unacquainted with the anime scene.

Well recomendations from me to pick up anime that you missed, or missing, out on I'd go with Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai becuase of the hailarity it ensues.

Another I'd recomend would be Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon because the main guy looks like he be trollin' because he can.
laugh.gif

Also, I'm not sure about games that became anime, but Persona 4 and maybe IdolM@ster.

Finally, for some action remending Fate/Zero since Saba-san and Kirisugu are total badassery. Not only that but I like the jokes that Rider and his Master tend to do.
tongue.gif

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Dec 08 2011, 07:58 PM) All right everyone! I haven't watched a (new) anime since ... whatever year Clannad After Story & K-on season 1 came out in. What are the best series that have come out since? Anything not overly stereotypical would be great (I'm watching Ben-to right now, but not sure I'll keep it up). I feel very unacquainted with the anime scene.
Just a few off the top of my head...
My top picks:
  • Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica -- Yuki Kajiura, Gen Urobuchi, Akiyuki Shinbou
  • Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (Ano Hana) -- same as Toradora! crew
  • Steins;Gate -- one of the best visual novel adaptations in ages and also good sci-fi.
  • Mawaru Penguindrum -- from the creators of Utena and Sailor Moon
  • Angel Beats! -- Jun Maeda
  • Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin -- show heavy on character development
  • Shiki -- decent horror, from the same author as Twelve Kingdoms and Ghost Hunt
  • Bakuman -- 2nd season is currently running. Atypical shounen show.
  • Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai -- based on one of the most popular light novels now...about otakus
  • Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt -- Gainax's new comedy work
  • Gosick -- Interesting mystery stuff set in early 1900s
  • Hourou Musuko -- identity crisis...skips the first 30 chapters of the manga, but still does the job pretty well.
  • Shakugan no Shana -- I don't remember if you liked this show or started watching it, but it's final season is currently running
  • Last Exile 2 -- steam punk and sequel to the 2003 Last Exile. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Katanagatari -- 45 minute episodes but some good stuff.
  • Bakemonogatari -- same author of Katanagatari but done by SHAFT/Shinbou
  • To Aru Majutsu no Index -- based off the most popular light novel in Japan right now. 2 seasons done, movie on the way, and people are expecting a third season. Magic stuff.
  • To Aru Kagaku no Railgun -- spinoff of Index and does not require watching Index.
  • Heartcatch Precure! -- probably not your taste, but thought I give it a shot.
  • Nodame Cantabile -- series is completed and good music/romance stuff.
  • Chihayafuru -- currently ongoing. If you liked NANA then this show has a rather similar feel to it.
  • Yumeiro Patissiere -- shoujo show about cooking
    tongue.gif

• Kemono no Souja Erin -- nice coming of age show. Can be a bit slow but worth the watch
  • Cross Game -- Adaichi's most recently completed work. Another show about baseball with romance and tragedy thrown in, but probably the best one since Touch from the 1980s
  • Tiger & Bunny -- probably the most surprising show of this year. What started as one heck of a cheesy show ended up being a surprisingly good show in the end...and movies are on the way
  • Hanasaku Iroha -- Slice of life at a hot springs inn
  • Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai -- comedy

Other stuff for the lolz:
  • The Legend of the Legendary Heroes -- give it 3 episodes
  • Nurarihyon no Mago -- Second season is finishing up but may be "overly stereotypical" in the shounen area.
  • Shinryaku! Ika Musume -- squid jokes
  • Tantei Opera Milky Holmes -- if you liked K-ON!, you may enjoy this.
  • Tegami Bachi -- not sure what to say here but it depends on how long your attention span is to give the series time to develop
  • Level E -- comedy
  • Durarara!! -- same author as Baccano!!
  • Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu -- comedy
  • Usagi Drop -- people say it's good...I say otherwise, but I'll just leave this here.
  • Mirai Nikki -- watch only if you haven't read the manga, the anime adaptation is doing pretty well surprisingly. Of course, I'm reserving my opinion until I see how the series ends.

Let me know if I should narrow that list for you.
tongue.gif

QUOTE Another I'd recomend would be Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon because the main guy looks like he be trollin' because he can.
Can't remember if I made that comment here or elsewhere, but all I can say is how could you not have believed that when looking at the preview image for this how. The male protagonist's face has "troll face" written all over it. Also, I definitely see potential for this show, but whether or not it will even come close to bringing an inch of it out by the end of this season is a completely different story.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Dec 09 2011, 01:42 PM) Can't remember if I made that comment here or elsewhere, but all I can say is how could you not have believed that when looking at the preview image for this how. The male protagonist's face has "troll face" written all over it. Also, I definitely see potential for this show, but whether or not it will even come close to bringing an inch of it out by the end of this season is a completely different story.
Oh just so you know they are going to have a short break after episdoe 13, and pick up in April of 2012 with epsidoe 14. So pretty much they split the series without realizing it I guess. Although more info about that is in said thread of course.
tongue.gif

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Dec 09 2011, 12:14 PM) Oh just so you know they are going to have a short break after episdoe 13, and pick up in April of 2012 with epsidoe 14. So pretty much they split the series without realizing it I guess. Although more info about that is in said thread of course.
tongue.gif

I actually checked ANN right after I posted and saw the official announcement for the 14th episode and 2nd season. After that I basically facepalmed since I had just typed the above post. Like I said, I'm sure the show has potential, especially the good things I've heard about the light novels, but it's presentation is absolutely awful.

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Dec 09 2011, 01:28 PM) Thanks for the lists
cool.gif
I'm poking around and grabbing some first episodes, so we'll see what catches my eye! Bakemonogatari in particular looks interesting, think I might start with that tonight.
If you do stick with Bakemonogatari, you'll definitely be interested in the "sequel" Nisemonogatari this winter and the Kizumonogatari movie (TBA), which is the prequel to Bakemonogatari.

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Dec 09 2011, 03:28 PM) Kit, I have nothing against options!

Thanks for the lists
cool.gif
I'm poking around and grabbing some first episodes, so we'll see what catches my eye! Bakemonogatari in particular looks interesting, think I might start with that tonight.
Bakemonogatari and AnoHana are the only two shows I've ranked 10/10 in the past two years. Good stuff.

So I've been out of the running for a while! (Lost my frickin'spot in the top posts!)
I'm in university these days, so I don't really have maximum time for Anime anymore..since I've stopped keeping track of the coming and going of awesome series I would like someone to bring me up to speed! How much awesome sauce have I missed? Of the calibre, say, Code Geass etc.

QUOTE (wceend @ Apr 03 2012, 08:23 PM) So I've been out of the running for a while! (Lost my frickin'spot in the top posts!)
I'm in university these days, so I don't really have maximum time for Anime anymore..since I've stopped keeping track of the coming and going of awesome series I would like someone to bring me up to speed! How much awesome sauce have I missed? Of the calibre, say, Code Geass etc.
Well, I'd gladly help out with that, but what was the latest anime you watched? Or at least how long was it since you last checked what was airing?

QUOTE (Nioki @ Apr 03 2012, 07:06 PM) Well, I'd gladly help out with that, but what was the latest anime you watched? Or at least how long was it since you last checked what was airing?
Weeeeell. I don't exactly remember. I think one of the last ons was chrome shelled regios. which I really liked. though it was under apreciated and never achieved its full potential... I watched Guilty Crown this week to get back into it. I prefer watching shows that are already fully aired or are at least at 3/4. I'm watching Another now, but I'm not loking it very much. it's a little too gloomy. FUCKING DOLLS. Anyway, is there anythign really good I missed? For action stuff I like Code GEass calibre stuff..for romance.. Shuffle. for comedy..azumanga daioh or Full metal fumoffu.

The reason Regios was under-appreciated was cause it kinda sucked
tongue.gif
Still, you might wanna check out Break Blade and Ozma for something vaguely similar.

If you haven't watched anything since Regios, you're required to watch the REDLINE movie, since it was THE release of the last few years regardless of genre preferences.

Finally, please do watch the language, we are sort of an all-age board.

I will restrain my passion for the F word XD. Hmm, that is what I meant by unfulfilled potential
tongue.gif
The idea was really cool, they just couldn t get it to work.

I dunno, I'm actually looking for the milestone stuff. the stuff that eevryone watched no matter what.. like ghost in the shell, hellsing, full metal alchemist ( I need to see the remake). And alright, can I get it here? or is it Licensed?

Right now I've downloaded nise/bakemonogatari to see if that is any good( Staplers, OUCH) . ALSO. I loved F/SN so I'm defenitely checking out Fate/Zero. I'll have a looksie at Ozma and Break blade, too.

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, the movie Blade of the stranger is also very enjoyable.

QUOTE (wceend @ Apr 05 2012, 06:45 AM) I will restrain my passion for the F word XD. Hmm, that is what I meant by unfulfilled potential
tongue.gif
The idea was really cool, they just couldn t get it to work.

I dunno, I'm actually looking for the milestone stuff. the stuff that eevryone watched no matter what.. like ghost in the shell, hellsing, full metal alchemist ( I need to see the remake). And alright, can I get it here? or is it Licensed?

Right now I've downloaded nise/bakemonogatari to see if that is any good( Staplers, OUCH) . ALSO. I loved F/SN so I'm defenitely checking out Fate/Zero. I'll have a looksie at Ozma and Break blade, too.

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, the movie Blade of the stranger is also very enjoyable.
Hmmm, some other ideas for you. I know you only mentioned one series so its hard to give recommendations, but there were a few top notch series that came out in diff genres over the past year or two. Two that instantly come to mind are madoka magica (aus' avatar is from that series) and ano hana. You mentioned bakemonogatari already, and that one was phenomenal as well, nisemonogatari is a letdown by comparison. I cant think of anything else off the top of my head but that should keep you occupied for a while.

His avatar reminded me more of the smiling man from GITS haha

QUOTE (wceend @ Apr 05 2012, 08:53 AM) His avatar reminded me more of the smiling man from GITS haha
It's a spoof of both.

Milestone stuff - Madoka, REDLINE, Summer Wars, Mawaru Penguindrum, Higashi no Eden, Tiger & Bunny. There's obviously a plenty of other stuff, but it's easy enough to figure out what you'd like by matching old season previews with reviews/scores. It's all about opinions, and I can tell you there's a plenty of stuff "everyone watches no matter what" that I prefer to ignore.

Most of the stuff is obviously licensed and/or streamable. Of the ones I listed, I think Penguindrum wasn't licensed, since it's not the type of show that'd be popular in the US.

Excluding the already stated by others movies, since I don't remember which came out when, and quite a number of mainstream but disappointing things, here you go:

Un-Go
Kuragehime
Bakuman
Level E
Working!
Arakawa under the Bridge
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei
Durarara!
Fairy Tail (long running)
Casshern Sins
Kuroshitsuji
One Outs
Kimi no Todoke * less comedy more romance.

some of these have second seasons as well.

This should be up to fall-winter 2008-09 when I think Regios popped up

well wceend besides the ones mentioned you could try these as my personal top completed series these years, dunno if the but you can give a try watching the first episode and see if you like them or not (btw I agree with you about Blade of the Stranger movie ^^)...

- Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku (the Princess and the Pilot movie)
- Mirai Nikki (will finish in one of this days)
- Black ★Rock Shooter TV (not the OVA)
- Carnival Phantasm (as you enjoyed F/SN)
- Usagi Drop (including the specials)
- Kamisama Dolls (avoid the specials though)
- Kaiji Hakairokuhen (you must watch the first season before this one)
- Yosuga no Sora (a bit hentai sometimes)
- Kara no Kyōkai: The Garden of Sinners movies (from Type Moon's F/SN)
- Eve no Jikan (the movie has a few more scenes)
- Hajime no Ippo New Challenger (as well you need to finish the whole previous series first)
- Death Note (or the ReLight specials as these are shorter but the TV series is better)
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (if you like it then try Kai, Rei and Kira but those sequels aren't as good)
dry.gif

- Eureka Seven (stay away from the movie)
- Evangelion Rebuild 1.11 and 2.22 (a reboot of the 90's TV series and movies)
- Hellsing Ultimate OVAs (not required to watch the TV series)
- Monster (the recap OVAs aren't as good)
- Gankutsuoh (the Count of Montecristo)
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Apr 05 2012, 06:12 PM) well wceend besides the ones mentioned you could try these as my personal top completed series these years, dunno if the but you can give a try watching the first episode and see if you like them or not (btw I agree with you about Blade of the Stranger movie ^^)...

- Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku (the Princess and the Pilot movie)
- Mirai Nikki (will finish in one of this days)
- Black ★Rock Shooter TV (not the OVA)
- Carnival Phantasm (as you enjoyed F/SN)
- Usagi Drop (including the specials)
- Kamisama Dolls (avoid the specials though)
- Kaiji Hakairokuhen (you must watch the first season before this one)
- Yosuga no Sora (a bit hentai sometimes)
- Kara no Kyōkai: The Garden of Sinners movies (from Type Moon's F/SN)
- Eve no Jikan (the movie has a few more scenes)
- Hajime no Ippo New Challenger (as well you need to finish the whole previous series first)
- Death Note (or the ReLight specials as these are shorter but the TV series is better)
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (if you like it then try Kai, Rei and Kira but those sequels aren't as good)
dry.gif

- Eureka Seven (stay away from the movie)
- Evangelion Rebuild 1.11 and 2.22 (a reboot of the 90's TV series and movies)
- Hellsing Ultimate OVAs (not required to watch the TV series)
- Monster (the recap OVAs aren't as good)
- Gankutsuoh (the Count of Montecristo)
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the advice. I already downloaded the evangelion 1.11, but I wasnt sure whether I should watch it because I haven t seen anything of evangelion before, so I wasnt sure where this would be in the series.

I've already seen the Deathnote stuff, including the live-action film.

I liked Hellsing Ultimatem ore than the TV series because it stuck to the manga.

I'll take a look at the rest when I have time. thanks !

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back