anime and the economy

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

CodeGeassWatchingIdiot

Kouhai
right now we are in a recession, we owe trillions of dollars to china that went back to china without paying the debt because of cheap, forgein labor, and now the main way anime companies make money nowadays is by licensing animes to american anime companies, considering that anime is one of the most popular forms of forgein entertainment millions of dollars could be spent each year licensing, taking money out of our country, i dont want the american anime market to die but i also dont want our economy to get worse, what should happen?

I would like to state Japan is a significant market when it comes to anime; after all anime originates from there. All anime companies make a significant (if not majority) of their income in Japan. So we can't dismiss Japanese market (or even their economy) when discussing the future of anime. As long as anime is present in Japan, there will be a future for anime!

I would also like to add that the American economy, although bad, is not in danger of a serious economic meltdown (like the great depression). Even if the American anime industry were to perish (unlikely) it is still a niche market when compared to the Hollywood/music and gaming industry. It would be more serious if those industries failed.

It is true however that anime will suffer during this period of recession. When a recession arrives people tend to reduce their spending in luxury goods like anime DVDs. So it should be expected that sales will decrease. How the American distributors will cope with these difficult times is hard to tell. I guess one negative outlook (bar total collapse) is some American licensors going bankrupt, resulting in less companies and competition. This will not be good for the average anime fan and would probably result in anime becoming more expensive.

QUOTE (CodeGeassWatchingIdiot @ Nov 08 2008, 08:17 PM) i dont want the american anime market to die but i also dont want our economy to get worse, what should happen?
If you think animes economy is relevant in the world economy, you're wrong.

Anyway, animes and mangas come from Japan (sometimes South Korea), not from China.

If you want to reduce the trade deficit with China, stop buying clothes and "low-tech" goods from China.
Of course, goods manufactured in China are cheaper, therefore people will buy it in a period of economical crisis.

QUOTE (monsta666 @ Nov 09 2008, 12:25 PM) I would like to state Japan is a significant market when it comes to anime; after all anime originates from there. All anime companies make a significant (if not majority) of their income in Japan. So we can't dismiss Japanese market (or even their economy) when discussing the future of anime. As long as anime is present in Japan, there will be a future for anime!

I would also like to add that the American economy, although bad, is not in danger of a serious economic meltdown (like the great depression). Even if the American anime industry were to perish (unlikely) it is still a niche market when compared to the Hollywood/music and gaming industry. It would be more serious if those industries failed.

It is true however that anime will suffer during this period of recession. When a recession arrives people tend to reduce their spending in luxury goods like anime DVDs. So it should be expected that sales will decrease. How the American distributors will cope with these difficult times is hard to tell. I guess one negative outlook (bar total collapse) is some American licensors going bankrupt, resulting in less companies and competition. This will not be good for the average anime fan and would probably result in anime becoming more expensive.
what you said was not when i was implying, i mean when something is imported from another country it takes money out of ours that was what i was trying to say

QUOTE (CodeGeassWatchingIdiot @ Nov 09 2008, 10:43 PM) what you said was not when i was implying, i mean when something is imported from another country it takes money out of ours that was what i was trying to say
The situation can't be helped; anime comes from Japan so America has to pay Japanese companies money to distribute it in America. Things may change if America took over the anime companies but until that day arrives, some of your American dollars will go to the Japanese companies. It's not all bad news, some of the money will go to American distributors too. In any case as Dalriada has already stated; anime sales will have little bearing on the American economy. So you shouldn't be too concerned about your money leaving the economy... If you want to safe your economy, go out and spend your money!!! The fear of recession can actually cause a recession to occur. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy... Hmm well maybe not in this case but confidence plays a BIG part on whether a country will enter a recession.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back