Anime and Adult

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE I doubt the 80s generation "tolerated" anime. At that time, I think only Japan had anime still. It wasn't until the 90s when it went global.

What I mean by 80s generation is those who born between 1980 to 1989. by the time those who born on 1980 can really think for themselves (Reach teen/adulthood) they already seen, if not like, some anime. i dunno the situation in US. bu in Indonesia, Saint Seiya, Doraemon and Dragonball is introduced on early 90s by local television
smile.gif
. so I believe those who born at those year understand and tolerated anime better than the older generation
smile.gif

What I try to Say here is about general generation view. I understand that your uncle is 40 and like watching anime. but its a rare case. maybe only 1 in 100 or even less.

I never think that my idea about generation span is a strict idea. I believe it's fully depends on the Individual. but the generation general Idea of acceptance to anime is, I believe, start on 80s generation

"why cant adult come to appreciate anime..."

Who do you think makes anime?! Kids?!

But if you are talking about countries other than Japan then I know what you mean. And it's just because some Adults didn't grow up watching anime. Most probably can't even tell if it was made in Japan or not, they just think it's another cartoon. And that's the main problem. Most Adults think that Cartoons are just for kids, so they tend to stay away. Also I'm not saying every Japanese adult loves anime, some are just like the adults elsewhere.

OMG this thread is so true [in my case]! my parents get so angry when they see me on my computer just watching anime or reading manga. They think it's entirely pointless because it doesn't teach "valuable skills" used in life (they think anime is just another cartoon), but on the contrary, I learn quite a bit from anime that I don't from either of my parents or from school.

ahahaha... my parents used to freak out now that i'm in my mid-20s (yes, i'm old) and still watching anime. they get it now though. i'm not sure what changed their minds. it's weird though... most people find it weirder that i'm older and still watch "cartoons".
laugh.gif

QUOTE (NobleEagle @ Jul 14 2007, 11:35 AM) What I try to Say here is about general generation view. I understand that your uncle is 40 and like watching anime. but its a rare case. maybe only 1 in 100 or even less.

I never think that my idea about generation span is a strict idea. I believe it's fully depends on the Individual. but the generation general Idea of acceptance to anime is, I believe, start on 80s generation
Two things,

One: I am a member of my local Anime clubs exec, and a 30years old I am in the average age bracket of our club. Here in Australia a large group of the Anime fan clubs are started and based within our universities, so this means that we automaticly start a predominantly adult base of fans.

Two: Dont forget things like Lupin (tv), Gatchaman, SDF Macaros, hell even Astro boy that came out in the early 80's. that is what got a LOt of older fans hooked WAY before the more mainstreem realses of the nineties

ASTRO-BOY !!!
laugh.gif
Hell that was good! souvenirs, souvenirs...

As a kid (back in the 80's then) I watched a big lot of anime.
I use to think that once adult I would not like it anymore but well... however in december this year i'll be turning 30 so i´m quite adult...
And here i am
tongue.gif
and really happy i did not change!

lately I watch even more anime than some years ago because we´ve got access to much more through internet while before u could only have it shipped, imported and hell that was expensive, or wait that something comes up in ur country...

In my group of friends (between 20 and 40), a lot are watching anime, gaming, reading manga though all of them got serious jobs, house to clean and other adult stuff like paying bills grr
mad.gif

Life would be ways too boring if we had to stop all the fun stuff when leaving school wouldn't it?? ...
laugh.gif

It is very interesting topic. I am quite an adult.
rolleyes.gif
I watch a lot of anime. My son is laughing at me.
laugh.gif
My favorites are FMA, Saiunkoku Monogatari and so on and so forth. I do have friends of my age who love anime, but they are Japanese.
biggrin.gif

After reading all the comments,maybe you guys are right...being adult does not mean some one can not appreciate anime
rolleyes.gif

Maybe,it is just less people who are able to truly appreciate anime
biggrin.gif

It's mostly generational culture. For the longest time cartoons have been mass-marketed as a primarily juvenile entertainment and only in recent decades have they begun really targeting older audiences.

Like an earlier post stated, it started (mostly) with the 80's kids. 99% of the people I know that watch anime on a regular basis were born in the late 70's or after. It was during this time that Japanese culture started impacting America more and more through the form of entertainment (video games and animation). I even seem to remember eating some strange new pocky-like (I know it wasn't pocky but it was similar) snack back in the mid 80's.

In 20 years the next generation will bemoan the fact that we just do not understand Bolivian Death Cricket Dance Races (or whatever it is they will latch onto). Don't stress and just enjoy what you like.

For the record, I'm 27.

I do have to agree. Age doesn't matter. I am 32 years and my friends who are also around the same age also still like anime (and some of them are married and have kids). I liked it back in the eighties when i first watched the animes on dutch television (and later on sky and superchannel (anyone remember robotech, thundersub, thundercats, the real ghostbusters?
laugh.gif
)) and even now i still like it. Being an adult or parent isn't important, it is like a hobby. Some like cars, others like collecting things, so why can't you as an adult like anime? I also know some people who are around 70 years and they still play with modeltrains
smile.gif
. Just goes to show: age doesn't matter, being able to enjoy it is what counts (and of course sharing experience and talking about good anime with people from all ages who also enjoy watching it.
biggrin.gif
). To conclude: i as an adult enjoy anime and i enjoy talking and sharing my hobby with you
smile.gif

Well, if your considering most adults don't appreciate anime, it's no big surprise, the same problem is with adults accepting video games or collecting/playing with toys, etc. But not all adults shut out anime from their life, most infact will remain a fan forever. The adults who don't appreciate anime probably never liked it from the beginning or never heard of it. I know that I'll be playing games, toys, and watching anime all my life, I can't imagine myself shutting them out of my life, and it's not that hard to find an adult with a childhood passion inside them still, it may seem like they are just suits, but deep down if you get to know them, you might find out some neat stuff.

QUOTE Kit-Tsukasa-loli kami sama
I'm no adult, but I'm sure we have hundreds of adults, if we're lucky, thousands, on this site who are actually watching anime and not just teens and children, so I wouldn't say that adults can't come to appreciate anime.

I'm one of them...
tongue.gif

aquaspirit39-chi
Today I want to open a topic...I do not know whether you all have experience the same thing or not but I am wondering why cant adut come to appreciate anime...

Geez...when I try talk my way out of them...they will keep saying "When you become adult you will understand" or something like that...well(do not include the hentai anime though)...Do you think that I will come to understand just as my parent says? Even my friend who is just two years older say so.... sad.gif

You want an answer from an adult? OK. There are many reasons. First of all
Kit-Tsukasa-loli kami sama said it well as follows:

QUOTE ...Some just perceive anime like normal 10 year old cartoons like Pokemon while those who look outside the box really appreciate the true meaning of anime...

Second, did you ever ask your parents, what idea they have for you, what they think about your future? Well, ask them... For the time being, do what YOU like to do, of course giving priority to your obligations first, but as far as concern the animes, it is YOU who must decide NOT they. I suppose, in a percentage, they may fear that you may not get the "correct" messages from the animes. Think about it...
biggrin.gif

blckdemondrgn-gao...?
well to me it isn't that the adults doesn't understand really, it is more like no time to really enjoy it.

come adult you have to study, work, clean the house, and other various adult chores I think you rarely can appreciate the free time available let alone dl/buy anime.

adults rarely have free time for enjoyment and usually when they do the time is used for other things such as taxes, cleaning, etc.

I mean I have many adult friends who still enjoy anime, cartoons, etc. but they can find little to no time to enjoy it.

though I hope you mean just hentai cause there are many animes that are derived from hentai games and such. so to me it is a bit neglecting quite a number of animes if you do mean hentai anime - at least in my interpretation of what you meant.

Do not sworn on that!!! The majority of the "adults" as you mention them, LIKE to have been occupied with things like taxes, management of the house etc., because they "think" they doing what an "adult" has to do, or if you prefer what "society" defines as an "adult" occupation, something very pathetic and false.
mad.gif

They are too hypocrites, even to themselves, to admit their stupidness... I suppose drinking whisky and soda, smoking a cigar and reading a newspaper is an "adult" ocupation... Bull***t!!!

I too have to worry about my house, bills, politics, work etc., but that doesn't leave me and my wife without to have some fun, if you like, with the animes, beside the point that we have translated together many anime movies, in our mother language...
wink.gif

I have mentioned in another thread, that in my country, the animation is considered something childish by the majority, as the term "animation" bring in the people's minds the American animes of '50 and '60, which have nothing to do with the most of the Japanese animes. Fortunately, some of them are now "turning the wheel" and have a different opinion but still they are minority...

killorbekilled-san
...Now I'm a 20 year old, self loathing anime addict, that can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality ph34r.gif .

In the end, who can? I have as much as twice your years, I watch anime and I am still searching (about the difference I mean)... Now, "Reality" and "Fantasy" are two terms used in order to discriminate between this material world (reality) and others that MIGHT exist (fantasy - though the most people would't say that). But I suppose this needs a lot of discussion....

REYOMA-san
Adults not understanding anime huh.gif

There is no need to be absolute...
tongue.gif

NobleEagle-chan
Look at the bright side Barbobot, at least you can watch hentai and ecchi without any worry as your parent might be seeing them as "just a kids cartoon" tongue.gif

Ha ha ha ha!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Nicely mentioned...
tongue.gif

Antin
"why cant adult come to appreciate anime..."

Who do you think makes anime?! Kids?!

But if you are talking about countries other than Japan then I know what you mean. And it's just because some Adults didn't grow up watching anime.

I would put it a little differently saying that 90% of Adults wouldn't grow at all.

The conclusion is that in order to watch anime you must have a rich inner world no matter what your age is... How many animes haven't we saw that mention other worlds, different kind of conditions etc? It's an animated Science Fiction. Now, as many of you mentioned some aged people didn't grow up with animes, but they had Science Fiction tales on their age... What's the difference between reading and watching?
ph34r.gif

Well now it depends on which adult generation you're talking about now. If you're talking about the ones that are 30+ then you can understand that there wasn't that much anime until the mid to late 80's. So pretty much anyone in thier mid to late 20's grew up with a few anime series. Now pretty much kids now are growing up with a lot of anime titles to pick and chose from. This isn't a bad thing no matter how old you are. The only thing you must worry about is well certain anime series that don't really apeal to children at all, which is starting to be a lot you know.

All I can say is that there are a lot of kids on this thread without "cool" parents.
While growing up, my parents were rather tolleant* of my anime viewing. In fact, they saw it as a way I could interact with my friends. I guess that way I'd have something I could enjoy.
Also I explained that Anime wasn't just a cartoon from Japan, it was an art. Drawing, music, acting, consistancy, writing, it was all there. It was anime that helped me become a graphic artist too. Today, I'm 24 and enjoying some of the best days (when not at work
laugh.gif
) of my life (slight exaguration*)
If adults are closed minded toward anime, then they're just being poopheads. A lot of the older ones that predate myself don't want to open up to new ideas simply because there's that whole mindset and there's no room for "pokemon look-alikes"

My mum watched a tv program about Japanese culture!

She started to explain the terms she learned:''yoiyoi with four letters'',
laugh.gif

but it was a good program btw
tongue.gif

I find anime to be a hobby for me, but unfortunately my family and friends dont see it that way. They either make fun of me, which doesn't bother me, or shun me out on the odd occasion when i bring it up in a relavent conversation. But even if I am alone in my little area, there is nothing they can do to change my mind, anime is great.

QUOTE (joneryk123 @ Sep 27 2007, 11:53 AM) ...unfortunately my family and friends dont see it that way. They either make fun of me...
That is a popular ''problem''. In my school there are 130 students and only ten reads manga or watch anime....

But adults are making fun with that.... Maybe that adults don't understand....
laugh.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back