Alternative HTTP download method

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

nyunyu

-san
Retired
I was talking to the maintainer of http://a.scarywater.net, mxs, and he suggested an alternative download method I could use. Instead of running the download through a download script (which has significant cons and only a few pros), he suggested a symlink method.

A symlink method would allow you to download the server directly through the webserver rather than through the download script. The good thing about this is that this will allow you to use any download agent to start the download (multiple connections included)! The bad thing would be that I would probably implement some sort of queue that you'd have to wait through, sort of like FilePlanet, and that you'd have to start the download within a minute or so of the opening otherwise your slot will be given to someone else.

Personally, I don't like waiting in queues and stuff but I suppose that's what you're doing now since you have to wait till the turn of the hour for more transfer to free up.

--added

Okay, how about this? You wait in line for a little bit (15 minutes, who knows) but after that, you can start your download. The custom http server that handles this would be able to support resumes and stuff and you would be able to start/resume that download without waiting in line again. Multiple connections MAY or MAY NOT be supported depending on the results of load testing (multiple connections use up more server resources). You don't have to start the download immediately but the file would only be available for up to 24-48 hours before the symlink is removed. If the symlink is removed and you want to resume a partially downloaded file, then you'll have to wait in line.

Oh, no rate limits either. Currently, all the downloads are rate limited to about 100kb/s for the ftp and about 70 for the http.

The download locking code for this system would be a little different. It would allow you to download the same file you tried to download earlier without any problems BUT if you changed download locks to another episode while downloading, your current download would terminate (i think).

This proposed system relies on the use of high-bandwidth server and won't be supported by the current distribution server right now.

I'd like to hear your opinion, as you're the one who's going to use this.

im in it dude!!!! since my T2 DSL speed can take all what it could handle----but i dun about others though...but for me no problem.

I would like a bit more of an explanation...how can a leecher work this out?

Must go to the download area and just right click the hyperlink?

contant erorr HTML appears...I already psot it in the right posting part....so I wont ask again in this part of the forum...thanks
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (zerodegrees @ Nov 11 2004, 07:25 PM) Hi, There seems to be a problem with School Rumble 5 using the ALT method? It says invalid address. Thanks!
wrong forum, no technical support here.

Oh sorry, is just that an hours ago I just downloaded something and now I can't downlaod anyting, I get invalid address errors using the alt method when I do the right click.

* Edit *

Oh I see the port number has changes for http download, I think I'm cut off now, oh well thanks for the downloads while it lasted.

QUOTE (zerodegrees @ Nov 11 2004, 08:46 PM) Oh sorry, is just that an hours ago I just downloaded something and now I can't downlaod anyting, I get invalid address errors using the alt method when I do the right click.

* Edit *

Oh I see the port number has changes for http download, I think I'm cut off now, oh well thanks for the downloads while it lasted.
It's only at port 82 while we test run the new http server. When it's ready to go live, it'll be at port 80. It's just that we can't move it to port 80 right now without disconnecting everyone's download.

I see, thanks very much for the info on that, I'll just wait on your announcement when it gets back to port 80 then. Thanks!
smile.gif

QUOTE (zerodegrees @ Nov 11 2004, 09:24 PM) I see, thanks very much for the info on that, I'll just wait on your announcement when it gets back to port 80 then. Thanks!
smile.gif

Give it a try, it's running a port 80 address now.

Hi, Just retried the Alt method on different releases links, and I still get invalid address. I tried it by refreshing the page and also by closing and opening internet explorer and still same error.

QUOTE (zerodegrees @ Nov 11 2004, 10:25 PM) Hi, Just retried the Alt method on different releases links, and I still get invalid address. I tried it by refreshing the page and also by closing and opening internet explorer and still same error.
I did some research and apparently Microsoft had changed their browser behavior in one of the security patches. So for now, just try using another browser (like Firefox) and it should work.

Funny you should mention using Firefox, When fansub.tv first came out I tried to use Firefox and could not download, so I went back to IE, now as you said to try FireFox and it works ok now. Thanks a lot!
smile.gif

P.S. Just a suggestion: to post a memo on the front page for people to use FireFox.
smile.gif

QUOTE (zerodegrees @ Nov 11 2004, 11:32 PM) Funny you should mention using Firefox, When fansub.tv first came out I tried to use Firefox and could not download, so I went back to IE, now as you said to try FireFox and it works ok now. Thanks a lot!
smile.gif

P.S. Just a suggestion: to post a memo on the front page for people to use FireFox.
smile.gif

Yep, thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that now.

i am getting an pop up of login name and password while i try to download any episode of my hime.

could any one tell how to remove this problem.

QUOTE (saifar @ Nov 11 2004, 11:50 PM) i am getting an pop up of login name and password while i try to download any episode of my hime.

could any one tell how to remove this problem.
Use another client for now. Firefox is known to work. A patched IE6 will not work. Other browsers are unknown.

When you are taken to the series page, there should be episodes listed on that page. Click on the episode you wish you download. Once you click on the episode, choose either FTP or HTTP (Preferably FTP) then start downloading.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back