Alice to Zouroku

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~
Staff member
Leader Council

Title: Alice & Zōroku
Japanese: アリス蔵六
Airing date: 2/4/2017 (TV series 12 episodes)
Genres: Action, Adventure, Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi, Supernatural, Seinen
Original creator: Tetsuya Imai
Director: Katsushi Sakurabi
Written by: Fumihiko Takayama
Music by: To-Mas (Soundsight Fluorescent Forest)
Character designer: Kazunori Iwakura
Art director: Takumi Yanagihara
Sound director: Yoshikazu Iwanami
Director of photography: Yoshio Ōkouchi
Color design by: Kana Tanabe
Key animation by: Ryō Tanaka, Shinichi Iimura and Min Ki Han
Prop design by: Yoshinori Hirose
Editing by: Masahiro Gōto (REAL-T)
Producers: Shin Taniguchi, Takahiro Ishiyama, Hirotsugu Ogisu, Hirotaka Kaneko and Masato Yukita
Studio: J.C.Staff
Network: Tokyo MX, KBS, SUN, BS11, AT-X
Opening theme: "Wonder Drive (ワンダードライブ)" by ORESAMA
Ending theme: "Charm" by Toi Toy Toi

Main cast: Sana Kashimura (樫村紗名) / Red Queen (赤の女王) voiced by Hitomi Ōwada (JP) and Sarah Wiedenheft (EN)
Zōroku Kashimura (樫村蔵六) voiced by Akio Ōtsuka (JP) and John Swasey (EN)
Supporting cast: Sanae Kashimura (樫村早苗) voiced by Aki Toyosaki (JP) and Tia Ballard (EN)

Asahi Hinagiri (雛霧あさひ) voiced by Natsumi Fujiwara (JP) and Brittney Karbowski (EN)
Yonaga Hinagiri (雛霧よなが) voiced by Akari Kitō (JP) and Brittany Lauda (EN)
Shizuku Ichijō (一条雫)voiced by Ami Koshimizu (JP) and Anastasia Muñoz (EN)

Ryū Naitō (内藤竜) voiced by Hōchū Ōtsuka (JP) and Chuck Huber (EN)
Noriko Yamada (山田のり子) voiced by Yūki Hirose (JP) and Madeleine Morris (EN)
Miriam "Minnie" C. Tachibana (ミリアム "ミニー"・C・タチバナ) voiced by Mamiko Noto (JP) and Colleen Clinkenbeard (EN)
Kōichi Kitō (鬼頭浩一) voiced by Masaya Matsukaze (JP) and Christopher Wehkamp (EN)

Kureo / Cleo (クレオ) voiced by Shū Uchida (JP) and Ryan Reynolds (EN)
Hatori Shikishima (敷島羽鳥) voiced Shū Uchida (JP) and Felecia Angelle (EN)
Ayumu Miho (美浦歩) voiced by Minami Takahashi (JP) and Apphia Yu (EN)

Synopsis: The story centers on a little girl called Sana, who is one of the children that holds the power of "Alice's Dream," an ability that enables her to materialize anything she imagines. After escaping a lab where she was a test subject, Sana ends up in a normal world where she encounters an old man named Zouroku, but will he help her?

gdpetti said:
Alice to Zouroku...? Sounds like an intro to 4d Earth... or next level of the 'game'... esoterically speaking.
its long ep.1 didnt convince me much, like Ajin or Brynhild but testing on kids :eek:

Just finished ep 4 of "Alice to Zouroku" which is family friendly X-men style.... rather well written combining the usual format/genre/tropes... the odd element out seems to be the 'old man' Zouroku.... the grumpy but wise elder type....
Well written, nice selection of 'magical' abilities of the characters, which focus on Alice, the Red Queen? I think that was the title the 'bad group gave her.... so far, so good..... seems to be heading in the SoL format with this overlay of X-men type elements.... works... based on an ongoing manga series... only 7 chapters out, so this season can't be too long, right? How many eps per chapter is the norm? is it 1 or 2... it's listed as 12 eps... the writing has a light touch while the setup and action elements keep working in the background... nice work in the genre/trope... usually the setup isn't too well done, so it's a question of how long can it keep up.. but this one has a common, but decent setup... interesting, that what is true is the 'fight' for Alice is really in-fighting within the govt agencies operating this program... which is rather realistic.... in the 'deep state' level... I hope the writing keeps up. :)

gdpetti said:
Just finished ep 4 of "Alice to Zouroku" which is family friendly X-men style.... rather well written combining the usual format/genre/tropes... the odd element out seems to be the 'old man' Zouroku.... the grumpy but wise elder type....
Well written, nice selection of 'magical' abilities of the characters, which focus on Alice, the Red Queen? I think that was the title the 'bad group gave her.... so far, so good
i just gave it a 2nd chance marathoning up to #5, of apparently 'kiddy' shows at first I decided for Atom: The Beginning instead... but cool Minnie vs Ichijo saving Sana again (ep.3 is Carl's Jr, now Snickers) xD what else you pick in new series?:d

Re: Creators and Sakura Quest... the former to see what they do with this concept... looks like they are gonna add 2-3 more characters before the real plot gets going, which seems to be centered around this kid, as the main female uniformed whatever girl says at end of last episode as if speaking to her friend back in their verse/world. From an esoteric standpoint of all things being thought forms themselves, I'm curious to see where this production team is going with this concept... so far it is still setting up the stage.

Sakura Quest is rather normal SoL territory, but I find it interesting to see what they do with this concept of rejuvenation of the community.... as stated in the anime, all try, and they almost all fail in reestablishing their old mojo/gimmick/tourist attractions.... again, the concept is dealing with the reality of the situation so many communities face in Japan, especially villages that really have no jobs because the system of centralized power sucks in everything and everyone into its center, it's how all empires operate... not that creativity can't work in this or any case, but it does have to deal with the situation as is... Tokyo will continue that sucking of energy until it falls... as they all do... look at Washington DC/NYC/LA here in the States... yes, Chicago, Miami etc have their points, but its that East Coast 'Corridor' that is sucking in everything... even though, from the sound of it, it isn't as bad as Tokyo in Japan.. as we have some separation in different city centers operating different 'departments' of the empire... this is a reason the War Dept/DOD separated so many bases/facilities in different Congressional districts to secure funding... in the name of 'jobs'.. the usual excuse...
Just interesting to see this anime dealing with a real SoL situation in the country.... in an anime friendly manner of course, but still, reality isn't often dealt with. The solution, as presented so far, is usually the same when any entrepreneur is trying to do their thing in the marketplace.. they have to find a niche... either some product or service that others haven't thought of yet, or isn't cost effective for others due to resources etc. So far this anime seems headed to the more creative direction with the wood carvings, art work etc.. could lead to a more Bohemian art district affect, especially if the small city (as it appears, right?) isn't too far from Tokyo... which is my impression so far.

So, Alice, Re:, and Sakura are the three I'm watching... I may go back to check on the Titan thing later, but once they found them in the walls :rolleyes: on top of their ignoring that key to the basement... I had to put it on hold... they are 'milking it'... to keep the story going... reminds me of the latest Underworld film I just saw on video the other day... the next chapter, but like the last one, it doesn't really move things along much. Can't blame them really, since it's a rather commercial vehicle anyway... so no surprise, as only the real creative stuff sticks out, and it isn't often the most popular, as that is a real exception, which is why dramas don't do as well, and why Matrix films put all that action scenes in them...

Other than these three, there is one I started from last season that was oddly interesting, but each ep is so short I just wished they'd package them all into one episode: Nobunga no Shinobi... 6 minutes each I think... haven't started S2 yet, I went back and watched S1... interesting how they utilize history... I wonder how accurate it is? Hollywood is known for 'whitewashing' most American history... it isn't just Disney doing it, Hollywood has been doing it since the beginning...

With this anime, ALice to Zouroku... is ep5 out? I'll have to check.... but I like the way the production team are utilizing the various tropes/genres... mixing them into a nice SoL format... and there are actual adult types in this one... even a few in Re:... a few in Sakura as well.... perhaps that is something that appeals to me, not just because I'm not a kid, but it adds a sense of reality.... I find that fantasies work best if their worldview is one we can relate to... no matter how crazy they get, as long as the essence remains in place... of life as we know it.. otherwise, it's like learning a completely different language... hard... takes a lot of time and adjustment, something animes don't have, nor most people... reminds me of that Ring series of books... great films, at least the main 3, which were severely compacted, but the books I tried reading once and the writer was a linguist and setup elf languages etc for the various races.. 'realistic', but it's way too much, unless you like that sort of thing.

On a side note, just watched Song of the Sea, by the creator of The Book of Kells... an Irish anime film, rather good, like the use of that Scarborough Fair song in another anime this season, the use of the folk music really sets a mood...Celtic in these works... along the lines of Riverdance and Celtic Woman sound/feels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6wVijh2n9g

gdpetti said:
With this anime, ALice to Zouroku... is ep5 out? I'll have to check.... but I like the way the production team are utilizing the various tropes/genres... mixing them into a nice SoL format... and there are actual adult types in this one...
yes but sadly most of the latest 'episode' is a recap, #5.5 teasing about 2nd arc...
at least it wasn't one of those full recaps, talking with seiyus from its main cast :)

Yeah, the beginning was long as a reminder of the last ep... which I see on other shows as well, though not as long.... does make you wonder why after watching some of those SoL shows about the industry and 'recap' episodes. ;)
This last ep was essentially a finish in the introduction of her character and her situation via her 'Alice' powers and the international scene somewhat...always the same USA and Japan setup/competition etc.... fighting the colonial aspect... same in many shows. Re: Creators is pretty much the same... the govt guys keeping watch but doing little to nothing but cleanup.... which does have a lot of truth to it in our real world. :ph34r:

PS..... just watced ep 6.. it really is turning SoL completely, unless this is setup for later, as there is no sense introducing those powers unless you are going to use them.... so more setup in the 'family' dynamic, not much else...

gdpetti said:
just watced ep 6.. it really is turning SoL completely, unless this is setup for later, as there is no sense introducing those powers unless you are going to use them.... so more setup in the 'family' dynamic, not much else...
first a recap then this! no wonder why I was unsure about the series, that kind of filler fits better as 0VA or specials... At least now its story progresses in ep.7 showing Errors, both twins' past and aftermath but Sana is their friend again ;)

Yeah, this ep does introduce the change in the situation of the girls... how the govt fits in overseeing them etc... but it is still mostly SoL territory... which I like, but you don't setup those superpowers without the usual storyline that follows... which seems to start in the next ep... as Sanae is dealing with her 'errors'... which seem to be mostly emotional turbulence, something she isn't used to.... kind of liked how the dealt with it, as Sanae is supposed to be 'new' to the human form and its dynamic... on this world... they really haven't said what she is... and maybe they don't know themselves? Though I think the govt would have all kinds of personnel in the area wherever they go etc.... as it'd be easier to deal with them all in a more designated area. This ep seemed mostly a bridge to the previous character of the family dynamic that has been setup which connects to this 'Alice' power and all those showing up with it.... with Sanae as some kind of exception... reminds me of Serial Experiments Lain... her character and how she came out of the program... which also reminds me of Re: Creators, since i just watched it... thought forms....

Alice & Zoroku 2nd arc, finally new main characters and another Dream'power

gdpetti said:
Yeah, this ep does introduce the change in the situation of the girls... how the govt fits in overseeing them etc... but it is still mostly SoL territory... which I like, but you don't setup those superpowers without the usual storyline that follows... which seems to start in the next ep...
you're right :0 so a bit darker #8, yet KVs above hint they'll not be foes later b)

the latest, ep 8, introduces a new pair- friends, with only one of them apparently magical - which mixes things up, especially in this odd SoL anime... keeps it interesting after the last couple of eps were repeat/setup .... but definitely in the magical girl territory of dealing with friendship/dealing with their powers/choice between good and evil etc. Interesting power... it affects apparently everyone but our MC character, Sana... Hmmm, seems the writers are setting up for something, not sure what. THis is based on an on-going manga... only 7 chapters? so... definitely a 1 cour series this season... so no resolution most likely.

gdpetti said:
the latest, ep 8, introduces a new pair- friends, with only one of them apparently magical - which mixes things up, especially in this odd SoL anime... keeps it interesting after the last couple of eps were repeat/setup .... but definitely in the magical girl territory of dealing with friendship/dealing with their powers/choice between good and evil etc. Interesting power... it affects apparently everyone but our MC character, Sana...
looks like 0nly their power can neutralize each 0ther while Hatori brainwashes people, Sana materializes imagination... a SoL-ish sleepover with the twins but half ep'9 got better, making her 0wn wonderland to teach 'witches' a lesson :p

The writing is failing here.... as often happens.... the usual 'alien' that knows not of human emotion... blah, blah, blah.... It's the standard cliche to use when creativity is absent... the truth would be more the opposite...

It's standard SoL essentially, the 'friendship' routine.... powers run amuck as 'they know not what they do' etc...

I don't think the writing has any idea what to do next or how to end it... not that it really matters.... as this plot problem is so very common as well... first the 'power' is special and rare and then it seems everyone has it.
Been there, seen that. It started off a little different but has turned rather trite.... too bad, I kinda of liked the grandpa character and that whole background, but the writing isn't doing much with it... they are falling back on cliche plotlines now.

gdpetti said:
Hmmm, seems the writers are setting up for something, not sure what. THis is based on an on-going manga... only 7 chapters? so... definitely a 1 cour series this season... so no resolution most likely.
people is seen awakening alice dreams(?) as sana's plan backfired, stuck at her 0wn creation even exalmighty ichijo... helpless there in ep'11 so now it's up to zoroku, finale? i wonder if the govt can hide this mess from public anymore.b)

Well, it ended on a happy note as to be expected... ongoing manga, so it could come back, but the manga is monthly with only 7 volumes, so it would be quite some time, and the last shot is of Alice a few years older... that first shot at the top of this page holding the many colored flowers..... it ended alright, it's just that it started off in one tone, and ended in a softer easier one... simpler, as her life became by the very end..... Dreams of Alice appearing everywhere like that other comic storyline on misfits...X-Men... a kiddie type version of sorts. THey could have done more if they wanted to stay on that earlier route, which seemed more 'adult' in orientation and action. Oh well.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back