Acchi Kocchi

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Acchi Kocchi is based on an ongoing manga. It is a slice-of-life, romance, comedy show that aired in Spring 2012. The series did not receive a simulcast nor did it receive a US license. Before continuing further, it should be noted that, yes, this is a moe show similar to that of Lucky Star, Azumanga Daioh, Hidamari Sketch and the like. If you do not like these kind of titles, I suggest you stop reading here or at least be aware before commenting on this review.

Acchi Kocchi's "story" is like many other slice-of-life moe titles. Episodes are standalone of each other for the most part. However, there is some timeline continuity unlike a variety of moe titles. It's not creative like Hidamari Sketch but it makes events of prior episodes somewhat memorable. The comedy is quite fun, fluffy, and lighthearted despite being obvious and typical. However, there are two big flaws with this show: firstly, it doesn't have a hook in its initial episodes that really sets itself apart; secondly, its humor is kind of bland and mostly driven by moe...which isn't a bad thing if you really enjoy Tsumiki. So what's good about Acchi Kocchi given all the moe hate? Well for what some people call "mature" viewers probably not much. However, if you've ever had a "that's so cute" moment in your life, this show is full of it and it does it quite well.

Art is basic but quite colorful and certainly appealing on the eyes. Character designs are typical "moeblob"/moe-fest types with designs of surrounding characters effectively having no faces. Animation is basic but otherwise solid by AIC. Definitely not their best given the recent work on Amagami SS, but certainly good nonetheless.

ED is cute but generally forgettable. OP is also cute (in fact more) and catchy too...but also forgettable. Rest of the music and sound is pretty average. Seiyuu, on the other hand, is quite good. A nice mix of experienced seiyuus and less experienced seiyuus all of whom did quite well in their roles.

Enjoyment? So I've been going on and on about the "relatively" bad things about this title....In that case, what's good about it? Well, as implied earlier, this is a love or hate show completely driven by how much the viewer can enjoy the characters in this show. It definitely did a have a rocky start but once it got a feel for the cuteness it should be expressing, the show did quite well overall. It doesn't have a "proper" conclusion (as expected) but it does leave room for future possibilities. I will say that given the vast amount of disappointments in Spring 2012, this was one of the more enjoyable titles.

Overall, Acchi Kocchi is not some amazing show like Fate/Zero or Aquarion EVOL but as an underdog (or cat in this case) of the last season, it did a great job at maintaining consistency...something that many shows in Spring 2012 were unable to accomplish. It's major drawback comes from being a "how much do I likes this character" type show...i.e. moe, which given the times, it's not a favored genre at the moment by many due to the flood over the last decade. Had it receive an anime adaptation around 2008, it may have actually been more well received.

Preliminary Score: 7/10
Final Score: 7/10

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back