AB Syndicate Conglomerate

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Bold

-kenja sama
Retired
Many members have noticed at the bottom of the fansub forums and other places a mention of the AB Syndicate Conglomerate.

The syndicate is a group of people interested in anime that joined together to pool together ressources to allow for easier developement of various new exiciting anime related products. So far, there is Fansub.TV, the Fansub Forums and a few underlying projects like the jdaemon engine (a ligth weigth HTTP server that is used for all downloads from FTV).

There are curently 3 project leaders in the AB syndicate. Daft who is heading all fansub.tv developpement. DarkDog who is in charge of AniBloc. And myself, who is working on the FTVCN (FTV Client Network).

The syndicate works as a regroupement of independant projects. This means information, code, ideas, servers, etc are shared when needed. But each project is autonaumous and the responsability of its leader.

We are looking for various people interested to work on these projects or new ones. For the moment, mainly people in the computer fields are needed, but a few other talents are also required.

If you are interested in helping out on one or many of the various projects, please send a PM to one of the team leader. Please note that we are looking for mature and serious people. There is no pre-requirements other than wanting to help and a will to learn. But some basic knowledge in your field will be required.

If you are interested in making an anime related service or software, you can join the syndicate as a new project in it. The older members will be happy to guide you and make suggestions on the various aspects of your project. You can also join an existing project if that projects leader curently requires help.

Note that the team leaders have the final say on acceptation in the project.

Don't hesitate to post any questions you may have.

Ok that explains a lot more than what I was thinking about ^.^.

Anyhow~~ There's not much to expext from me (yet). I'm still incapable in some fields (in a case of the gaming fields.) But it would be interesting to be there...

Speaking of which, are we still on the gaming project or will it come around sometime later?

QUOTE (hamasusuke @ Oct 01 2006, 08:57 PM) Speaking of which, are we still on the gaming project or will it come around sometime later?
If you are refering to phoenix awakening, then it is still in the air. The only limit is a question of available time!!

LOL, that's pretty much true. but it is expected '08, right?

Also, I was referring to... well... it hasn't been mentioned to the public, but a sub-project (games?) for FTV (mentioned in the you-know-where threads).

It hasn't been touched for awhile, and I thought i had a saying for it, but clearly I forgot all about it...

QUOTE The syndicate is a group of people interested in anime that joined together to pool together ressources to allow for easier developement of various new exiciting anime related products. So far, there is Fansub.TV, the Fansub Forums and a few underlying projects like the jdaemon engine (a ligth weigth HTTP server that is used for all downloads from FTV).

You make it sound so cool. I am understading this place alot more now, sounds really neat.
Who started it? also I am guessing this is done over the internet so some of you havent even meet yet?

QUOTE We are looking for various people interested to work on these projects or new ones. For the moment, mainly people in the computer fields are needed, but a few other talents are also required.

If you are interested in helping out on one or many of the various projects, please send a PM to one of the team leader. Please note that we are looking for mature and serious people. There is no pre-requirements other than wanting to help and a will to learn. But some basic knowledge in your field will be required.

what do you consider basic knowledge? Could you name some of the work you would need people to do. I dont really think I have the requirements but I would like to know where to aim.

well, i'll specifically welcome anyone with solid CSS skills at some point.. that's gonna take some time though, because i'm the laziest and the most unreliable of the 3
tongue.gif
anyway, as soon as i get some free time, i'll try to make things advance a little further and after that i might ask for some help.. (even testing and/or giving your opinion on what's done is invaluable).

right now i have close to nothing to show you people, but that'll change at some point..

QUOTE (wittyfox @ Oct 01 2006, 11:41 PM) what do you consider basic knowledge? Could you name some of the work you would need people to do. I dont really think I have the requirements but I would like to know where to aim.
For example, in a near future, I could use someone doing user interface programming in java (Swing). You don't need to be Swing expert. But willing to help. Knowing Java would help, but if you don't and are willing to learn, it is not too bad either. But if you absolutely never touched any programming at all, this task may not be for you!

An artist will also be needed to help make some icons and logos.

Someone who knows (or is interested in learning) XLST could probably help as well.

I have a long list. Basicly, if you are interested, just PM me with what you are interested in (and what you think you could do) and we can talk more in details.

I'm learning java.. once I know enough, I can start helping. Programming is really fun.

There's a variety of skills that might be useful in a team environment besides people who are skilled with computers, though of course that would be pretty useful too since it's our primary distribution method/platform.

For example...
- editor (a person who has some mastery of the English language and is good at compiling information from multiple sources into something coherent)
- writers (people who write well, can easily communicate the message and can perhaps write with some style or authority)
- artists (people who are talented in creating new things and have a good aesthetic sense, drawing, modeling,designing)
- visionary (people who have a clear compelling vision of a possible future, creative, original, long-term, dreamers... has enough gas to turn thoughts into reality)
- marketing (people who can create interest or demand for the project, understand the current market trends and can determine the feasibility of certain projects, understands ROI)
- operations management (people who are good at determining the optimal configuration for certain systems and processes, can identify bottlenecks and general problems)

Let's see.. I guess the three fields that I'm aiming for here would be:
- liberal arts, business and computer science (or computer engineering)

I should point out that there's room for people who have a certain expertise or speciality that might be useful for ANY anime related project. (For example, making an anime racing game might require a physicist.... and maybe even a mathematician..... people studying law or international law might be useful in identifying potential problems in the future... multilingual people for fansub groups...)

The thing that I'm most interested in really are people who want to participate in something interesting, want to learn something, can maintain a level of professionalism, and are reliable + trustworthy + mature + team oriented.

It would be awesome if the skills you pick up and the experiences you have from being part of the AB Syndicate Conglomerate could lead to a satisfying and succesful future career.... and while I'm dreaming a bit, it would be awesome if everybody involved turned into a fabulous visionary team leader as well. I suppose the idea is to cultivate yourself while producing something for the community.
tongue.gif

Here's an interesting bit I found on the visionary team leader:
QUOTE The model of leadership is called “visionary” because it asserts that the key function of leadership is to communicate a compelling vision, or picture of where the organisation is going. By having a clear and attractive picture of the future, people transform thought into reality, intention into action. They are energised or empowered because they have a sense of purpose or direction, combined with an enhanced belief in their ability to achieve their purpose.

The vision itself need not actually come from the leader, although he or she is likely to play a crucial part in formulating and communicating the vision. The actual source of the vision is what Kanter has called “kaleidoscope thinking”, drawing together fragments of ideas from a range of sources. This is based upon a profound understanding of the relationship between the organisation and its environment, as well as receptivity to ideas of all interested parties.

The “visionary” model of leadership looks beyond the leader’s role in communicating a compelling vision and being tuned into the wider source of such a vision. It draws upon other theories of leadership and organisational change, highlighting issues at the macro, interpersonal and personal level. Macro issues include developing a network, or “critical mass” of support, at all levels, promoting team working, and promoting a culture of excellence. Interpersonal issues include two-way communication, people orientation, a participative style and high visibility. The personal traits included self-confidence, being aware of weaknesses and taking account of them, learning from failures, persistence and perseverance, and consistency.

In conclusion, there are five facets of “visionary” leadership:

1. communicating a compelling vision;
2. kaleidoscope thinking, based upon being tuned into the wider environment, the source of the vision;
3. macro issues: networking, team-working and promoting a culture of excellence;
4. interpersonal issues: two-way communication, people orientation, participative style and high visibility; and
5. personal traits, including positive self-regard, persistence, perseverance and consistency.

The new instrument provides scores on these five facets of “visionary” leadership, referring to them as:

* vision;
* source;
* macro;
* interpersonal; and
* traits, respectively.

It also provides a total score, the sum of all the other scores.

Hmm... I can consider 4 out of 5 visionary leadership as a can-do. the 5th, i can do for sure.

Anyhow, I remember when you discussed to me something like this.. i think it went that the project leader "doesn't necessarily have control over the project, but rather give out the supervision of the project as a whole, overviewing each and every member of the project's progress" or so. But i remember clearly that it's leadership and communication.

Hmm.. And daft, i never answered your question about if i'm willing to take on a project regarding games, did I? hmm... I think I'll take it on afterall, after considering that maybe I can learn something while going at it.

Now, it's not that I'm going to do this because i want to, it's because you're presenting the oppportunity. So, thanks for making me think this over a bit.

well all i can say is i know
- alittle c programming
-computer repairs/building(A+ certified)
-building networks
-php programming (learnt alittle on my own concerning databases)
-alittle website building

i love working with computers and i dont mind learning something new if i get the chance to help you guys. but beware im not so social.i dont like to deal with alot of people first hand face to face.

thank you.

QUOTE (daft27 @ Oct 03 2006, 07:27 PM)
- visionary (people who have a clear compelling vision of a possible future, creative, original, long-term, dreamers... has enough gas to turn thoughts into reality)
- marketing (people who can create interest or demand for the project, understand the current market trends and can determine the feasibility of certain projects, understands ROI)
- operations management (people who are good at determining the optimal configuration for certain systems and processes, can identify bottlenecks and general problems)
...I have the potentials and interest to do all three of the mentioned, only and only if it's game related.

QUOTE (hamasusuke @ Oct 03 2006, 09:42 PM) Hmm.. And daft, i never answered your question about if i'm willing to take on a project regarding games, did I? hmm... I think I'll take it on afterall, after considering that maybe I can learn something while going at it.

Now, it's not that I'm going to do this because i want to, it's because you're presenting the oppportunity. So, thanks for making me think this over a bit.
So Hamasusuke's looking into making a game. If anybody else is interested in doing game stuff (programming, designing, artwork, graphics, sound, music, editing, number crunching, drinking, drawing, modeling, texturing, mapping, sleeping, story boarding, voice acting, etc...)? Here's the opportunity to get involved and to create something yourself! If you don't think you have the skills necessary to do it, then consider this as a good opportunity to pick them up.

For example, I'm learning how to draw and 3d model a bit as research for Threshold Avalon. Personally, I'm using whatever projects I can to learn and polish new skills so usually every project I'm involved in starts out with me doing a lot of research and learning.... lol, research is fun!

I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to lend their help, but the question is who is willing to commit X hours per week to it for a long duration? I figure even a casual game could be a relatively time consuming endeavor.

Yeah, I was considering if I can commit so much time on the game as I do for other activities. I am usually home online nowadays, so I can manage much.

Anyhow, pushing aside Pheonix Awakening for a bit, I might want to start polishing up my graphical skills (since, well, I'm pretty much introduced to photshop now instead of PixelPainter... lol) I also want to try sound and music fields (it seems like I have an interest on the musics and how it is used during a game...)

Other than that, if I'm going to pick up some skills, seems like I'm going to thrust myself into this opportunity, so count me in!

QUOTE (daft27 @ Oct 04 2006, 05:17 PM) So Hamasusuke's looking into making a game. If anybody else is interested in doing game stuff (programming, designing, artwork, graphics, sound, music, editing, number crunching, drinking, drawing, modeling, texturing, mapping, sleeping, story boarding, voice acting, etc...)? Here's the opportunity to get involved and to create something yourself! If you don't think you have the skills necessary to do it, then consider this as a good opportunity to pick them up.

For example, I'm learning how to draw and 3d model a bit as research for Threshold Avalon. Personally, I'm using whatever projects I can to learn and polish new skills so usually every project I'm involved in starts out with me doing a lot of research and learning.... lol, research is fun!

I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to lend their help, but the question is who is willing to commit X hours per week to it for a long duration? I figure even a casual game could be a relatively time consuming endeavor.
I'm willing to pick all of them up, (it's not like I don't have to pick them up by the end of this year, for acedamic purposes that is. I think this'd be a good oppurtunity..)

Aside from all this. Just how much time will the gaming project require? I can spend about 2 hours per day, throughout the weekdays and 4-5 hours throughout the weekends. I can probably make more time here and there.

It takes a lot of time to make a good game. Everyone knows that.
If you want to start from the scratch, it will takes years to learn to do something (even you have some friends that help you). Think about drawing all the graphics! Voices, sounds!
3d-engine - are you planning to make your own (it will take much more time then. you have to learn physics, and then how to program that into a 3d-engine) or do you want to use existing one like Quake3 (I think that their 3d-engine is opensource now) and then modify it t feet your needs? It will take quite a time to learn OpenGL (which is multiplatform). Or are you planning to use DirectX (in this case you will miss all linux and mac users, because DirectX is only for windows) from Microsoft?
AI - you have to play against someone. You have to learn about psychology, to make game more exciting. You can always make a multiplayer game, but in this case you have to learn about network TCP/IP protocols and other stuff.
And then - what about a game plot? You can't just make a game where you have to race. People want challenges all the time.

So... Think about it...

To Bold:
That's pretty funny, but right now I am learning about making GUI in java with Swing. I am pretty noobish in that (yet), but I am gonna advance pretty fast.

QUOTE (demogog @ Oct 05 2006, 10:25 AM) AI - you have to play against someone. You have to learn about psychology, to make game more exciting. You can always make a multiplayer game, but in this case you have to learn about network TCP/IP protocols and other stuff.
And then - what about a game plot? You can't just make a game where you have to race. People want challenges all the time.
So far for the AI stuffs, I think I have an idea of how they should respond. NPCs is pretty much inputting key values in certain areas meeting a player's requirements in one field. As for monsters, enemies, opponents, etc (in an RPG/RTS Game like daft's project), it may be hard, but at the same time, repetitive for most repeated enemies.

As for Game plot: I think that's where people with certain visions come here. They can give insight on what would work best and can be incorporated into the game (say, Racing without tires is a challenge, so we might add that!). Either way, one person can't think of everything themself, so it's always fun to work and use ideas one another.

For those who are interested in working with the AB Syndicate Conglomerate, we'll have an application available soon that you can fill out. It will ask you for some basic personal information (name, address, phone number, current education, etc), your current skillset, skillsets of interest, fields of interest and previous work experience. (If you have a resume, I suppose that would work too.) The idea is just to gather some information so when new projects are coming up or projects need more people, we know who might be a good match.

If you're interested but don't think you have enough skills to really help out, don't worry about it and consider it as on-the-job training. There are plenty of books, tutorials, tips, websites, et. teaching you to do things that you might not know already.

I just got flash and dreamweaver I am pretty new to it, so any one could teach me and mold me towards the direction you would need help in. Sound good?

Sound's cool. When will the application be available? Also, do you have to be active workers in the Syndicate cause I'm usually busy the whole week and am only free on weekends.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back