Girlish Number

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~
Staff member
Leader Council

Title: gi(a)rlish number
Japanese:
Airing date: 6/10/2016 (TV series 12 episides)
Genres: Music, Comedy, Drama, Slice of life
Original character designers: QP:flapper, Yamcha (serial novel) and Yūki Dōmoto (manga)
Director: Shōta Ibata
Written by: Wataru Watari
Music by: Tomoki Kikuya
Character designer: Sumie Kinoshita
Art director: Yoshimi Mineda
Director of photography: Yasuyuki Itō
Color setting by: Yuki Hayashi
Design by: Masakazu Ishikawa
Editing by: Toshihiko Kojima
Layout supervision by: Kenji Masuda
Produced by: Jun'ichiro Tanaka, Mitsutoshi Ogura, Hironobu Takashima, Toshiyasu Hayashi, Tsuyoshi Aida, Aitani Atsushi and Kazuhiro Kanemitsu
Studio: Diomedéa
Network: TBS, BS-TBS, SUN, TUT
Opening theme: "Bloom" by Girlish Number (Sayaka Senbongi, Kaede Hondo, Yui Ishikawa, Eri Suzuki and Saori Ōnishi)
Ep.1 OP theme: "Ketsui no Diamond (決意のダイヤ)" by Kohaluna (Eri Suzuki and Saori Ōnishi)
Ending theme: "Ima wa Mijikashi Yume Miyo Otome (今は短し夢見よ乙女)" by Girlish Number

Main cast: Chitose Karasuma (烏丸千歳) voiced by Sayaka Senbongi
Yae Kugayama (久我山八重) voiced by Kaede Hondo
Koto Katakura (片倉京) voiced by Yui Ishikawa

Momoka Sonō (苑生百花) voiced by Eri Suzuki
Kazuha Shibasaki (柴崎万葉) voiced by Saori Ōnishi
Supporting cast: Kuzu-P (九頭P) voiced by Kazuya Nakai

Gojō Karasuma (烏丸悟浄) voiced by Yūichirō Umehara
Towada AP (十和田AP) voiced by Takuya Eguchi
President Namba (難波) voiced by Kenyū Horiuchi
Nanami Sakuragaoka (桜ヶ丘七海) voiced by Amina Satō

Synopsis: The series follows Chitose Karasuma, a university student who aims to become a voice actress (seiyuu). The stage event listing further indicates that it focuses on the profession of idol seiyuu.

gdpetti said:
Girlish Number seems like an fantasy idol version of Sore ga Seiyuu! which i liked, found it to be entertaining while informative about the industry, and it had an aspect of this 'idol' aspect of the industry as well.
so isn't all fun and games unlike similar series, ep.1 subbed like a week later -_-

Well, that image looks better without CG IMO... so they ARE doing it on purpose??? :unsure: WHY?! :blink: So, it starts off looking good, and their goal is to make it look 'bad'... or 'cool'? :lol:

I can't remember their names, so ..... ok, just checked out the first page here... well, that rescue is expected... must be in a new ep, haven't checked it out yet... just started 'Girlish" you recommended... I rather like these industry animes... nice way to learn about the biz and interesting to see how entertainment can be used in teaching about anything... I remember this from the early Naruto eps with the chakras etc... though that series soon went 'off the rails' IMO.
I'm liking Fune wo Amu as well... another well written SoL... and not school kids! :eek:

gdpetti said:
just started 'Girlish" you recommended... I rather like these industry animes... nice way to learn about the biz and interesting to see how entertainment can be used in teaching about anything...
I'm enjoying too how cynical is it up to ep.9, now that a new idol seiyuu debuts it's like Chitose feels she's taking her place... As 'Main Heroine' in S2 of its lame fictional anime, xD first time i feel bad for Kuzu after his 'otaku girl' MaiMai :lol:

Barbobot said:
Haven't watched Girlish Number yet, but I've heard some positive things so I'll give it a shot
As you liked Oregairu (same author) I recommend to try this series too, despite Chitose's new submanager is annoying... even more than Kuzu ;p i hope he'll be assigned to Nanami instead, yet nice to see ep.11 Gojo encouraging his sister :d

tongue.png
I like this one... granted I like this genre, as the few I've seen are rather informative on the industry and personnel, but this one has a MC that is interesting. Most of them have good writing, pacing, editing etc... most of the characters are usually pretty well written, setup etc... but this one has an edge from the MC and her brother. Most of the others are written well, but rather typical. This MC has an edge.... cynical, stupid yet smart in her own way as a newbie with attitude or just not the usual smiley faced or stonefaced cynic of the others, which look and sound like many other characters... so many of these anime characters are written and voiced so similarly that they all merge together like a trope to me, which I guess they are, but it really doesn't take much to give a character something 'extra' that qualifies them to be unique, worthy of separating from the herd.. and this MC has that.... doesn't seem like much, as it's mostly attitude and enthusiasm, but not the typical smiley faced newbie enthusiasm that makes one seem like all the others.. something that's drawn to attention in this series. It's an open concept storyline, by the same writer, and it seems the manga/short story base was just character introduction, as the anime picks up from there essentially... so no limitations or no end in sight... if the ratings are high enough. Unlike that "Oregairu', which he did the original concept for, it seems he's actually writing this series himself... that other concept sounded typical HS based, which this isn't... thank god.
happy.png

Yes, that sub-manager - which served a purpose of reminding our MC of her place in the game.... very low on the totem pole, is annoying, but so is our MC at times... like a mirror to her in a different way, that 'newbie' enthusiasm, only from a manager standpoint... wonder if he too, like her brother, was a wannabe VA, a failed one, or what? Otherwise, the last couple of episodes were rather well done... as our MC sunk into a funk of self-doubt, which we are led to believe her brother went through but gave up.... no one encouraging him as much as our MC here is... no or less support .... maybe they'll give more backstory on him in an later ep. But our MC's desire 'to be somebody' special... her own brand of delusional grandeur, picks her back up at the end.

In that manga, there's a sidenote( or thought of hers?) that there's about 300,000 VAs working or trying to work in the industry, but only about 300 actually making a living at it... so, pretty much like all the arts, acting, performing etc.
It seems this MC is essentially a reversal, having her play the usual' guys part in terms of attitude, sort of what''s happening in many fight genres... combined with the ability to play the cutesy girl when cued.... without going the usual love you/hate you route.... especially in HS.
rolleyes.gif
With a real world setup - yes, there are actual adults living in her world
blink.png
, there's more actual room to work with without going into fantasyland.

By the end, we have the usual setup of people, young and old, learning to deal with their situation the best they can... even our producer in his desire to win against the guy at the company he left.. which was a rather interesting way to bring that character back to the real world... as his character was written much the same as the sub-manager, and though they serve their purpose, you get tired of them real fast, and like the rest of the characters, either they learn to work within the reality of their industry or they leave it....which is where her brother's story meets up again... that ending comparison was interesting.

Nice series.

gdpetti said:
By the end, we have the usual setup of people, young and old, learning to deal with their situation the best they can... even our producer in his desire to win against the guy at the company he left.. which was a rather interesting way to bring that character back to the real world... as his character was written much the same as the sub-manager, and though they serve their purpose, you get tired of them real fast, and like the rest of the characters, either they learn to work within the reality of their industry or they leave it....which is where her brother's story meets up again... that ending comparison was interesting.
also interesting how the finale questions if seiyuus are disposable, novelists too but they wait its MC late to finish 'kusure'... making fun of recaps like shirobako did, hopefully Girlish Number 0VAs will be released about a lame meta-series :p

Well, almost everyone is 'disposable' or replaceable... there are ever only a very few who really aren't, and even they get replaced by more of the same... they are the 'exceptions that prove the rule'... of repetition, copy-cats, etc.
Be it manga, anime, film, tv, books, plays, music, politics, war, religion, etc... it's all pretty much the same... for a reason... all of which makes those that aren't stand out so much, especially when some of them come together on a project and things 'click' together so well.

This MC is enough different that she stands out compared to those around her... seemingly not so much in her work, as in her persona in person.... when she isn't 'acting'... which could and has worked to her advantage in live performances or presentations on stage... which could make her really stand out if the writer wants to go in that direction... as it's a rather rare person to have the charisma... very rare... same in the writing... and it can be in any form or avenue of expression... being unique is a given to those that are, to those that aren't, it's a hard discipline to learn to act.... reminds me of that film on running... a trained athlete vs the 'natural': "Chariots of Fire"... 1981 drama.

I like this genre... SoL on the industry, but this all depends on the quality of the writing... is the writer able to 'shine'? to be unique in a manner that still works in the marketplace for anime in Japan? Time constraints often spell doom, which is why mangakas take their time if allowed... take time off etc.

I like the fact that the brother went through all of what she's going through already and walked away, seemingly unable to deal with the pressure of being 'disposable'... I liked the mention in the manga about how few 'make it'... same in most entertainment areas like film, tv, books, music, sports, politics etc... most that seem to 'make it', learn to play the game the same as all the others do... 'sell out' to the establishment, the PTB etc... very few can work their way through the Maze/Matrix of Life otherwise and be seen as unique... to 'make it'... very, very rare. It'd be interesting to see this writer/show try it in this MCs case... interesting isn't always entertaining though.
happy.png

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back