Overlord III

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~
Staff member
Leader Council

Title: OVERLORD
Japanese: オーバーロード
Airing date: 7/7/2015 (TV series 13 episodes)
Genres: Action, Science Fiction, Fantasy
Original creator: Kugane Maruyama
Original character designer: so-bin
Director: Naoyuki Itō
Written by: Yukie Sugawara
Music by: Shūji Katayama (Team-MAX)
Character designer and chief animation director: Takahiro Yoshimatsu
Sub-character, monster and prop design by: Jūki Izumo and Momoko Maehara
3D director: Shuhei Yabuta
Sound director: Yuki Satofumi
Director of photography: Yūki Kawashita
Art directors: Shigemi Ikeda and Yukiko Maruyama (Atelier Musa)
Art setting: Kayoko Tomono (Atelier Musa), Shigemi Ikeda and Shuichi Okubo
Color design by: Yukie Noguchi
Editing by: Kashiko Kimura
Studio: Madhouse
Network: AT-X, Tokyo MX, SUN, KBS, TVA, BS11
Opening theme: "Clattanoia" by OxT
Ending theme: "L.L.L." by MYTH&ROID
'
Main cast: Ainz Ooal Gown (アインズ・ウール・ゴウン) / Momonga (モモンガ) voiced by Satoshi Hino
Albedo (アルベド) voiced by Yumi Hara
Shalltear Bloodfallen (シャルティア・ブラッドフォールン) voiced by Sumire Uesaka
Aura Bella Fiora (オーラ・ベラ・フィオーラ) voiced by Emiri Katō

Mare Bello Fiore (マーレ・ベロ・フィオーレ) voiced by Yumi Uchiyama
Demiurge (デミウルゴス) voiced by Masayuki Katō
Cocytus (コキュートス) voiced by Kenta Miyake
Sebas Tian (セバス・チャン) voiced by Shigeru Chiba

Supporting cast: Narberal Gamma (ナーベラル・ガンマ) voiced by Manami Numakura
Julie Alpha (ユリ・アルファ) voiced by Hiromi Igarashi
Gazef Stronoff (ガゼフ・ストロノーフ) voiced by Hiroshi Shirokuma
Nigun Grid Luin (ニグン・グリッド・ルーイン) voiced by Takehito Koyasu
Enri Emmot (エンリ・エモット) voiced by Mao Ichimichi

TV teaser: https://www.youtube.com/embed/BLh3I97oqF8?rel=0&autoplay=1
TV CM: https://www.youtube.com/embed/dapOZiwzMyE?rel=0&autoplay=1
TV spot (15s): https://www.youtube.com/embed/0QNeEnOszJ0?rel=0&autoplay=1
TV spot (30s): https://www.youtube.com/embed/F6lbsW7Elzw?rel=0&autoplay=1
Official website: http://overlord-anime.com/

Synopsis: In the year 2138, virtual reality gaming is booming. Yggdrasil, a popular online game is quietly shut down one day. However, one player named Momonga decides to not log out. Momonga is then transformed into the image of a skeleton as "the most powerful wizard." The world continues to change, with non-player characters (NPCs) beginning to feel emotion. Having no parents, friends, or place in society, this ordinary young man Momonga then strives to take over the new world the game has become.

QUOTE (Masich @ May 26 2015, 05:08 AM)(Oh PLEASE give me!!!)after ep.1, now i know what you mean xD a new rival for Log Horizon or SAO
biggrin.gif

*Charmed eyes*

I don't care if some call you a rip-off from LH/SAO, You Out ranked them within the first episode!! In my book that is and compared to LH+SAO 2nd seasons apparently (MAL Rank&Score). Although granted those are second seasons (Which pretty much is normal lately)

Would not surprise me if this would become the years greatest. Sadly, I can never cheer too soon (dammit), now to see how it will continue on further towards the end?

Oh yeah, Also, Nice OP&ED number!!

QUOTE (Masich @ Jul 07 2015, 06:21 PM)I don't care if some call you a rip-off from LH/SAO, You Out ranked them within the first episode!! In my book that is and compared to LH+SAO 2nd seasons apparently (MAL Rank&Scorit's the kind of series you cheer for its "villain" so i bet it'll get S2, 13 eps aren't enough at all with 2 about loyal servants... lol as I suspected Mare is a trap boy telling by full name, i enjoyed introductions but i can't wait for battles to start
smile.gif

No this isn't really a series thats in rivalry with SAO or Log Horizon, its just as good but its a different genre, there are other three mangas which might get animations that are just like OVERLORD, but its different. SAO Log Horizon, and .hack// are of a genre where the people stuck in the game experience drama centered on realism and how to get back to normal etc. These other new series are the opposite, yes you have people stuck in a game, but unlike the other genre its more like "this world is better, i might just stay", instead of "how the hell do i get out of this game?!".

(basically, the "how do i get out of this death-game!!" genre, and the "awesome, i cant believe I'm in a game!" genre)

The other three series are "Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari", "The New Gate" and "Konjiki no Moji Tsukai - Yuusha yonin ni Makikomareta UNIQUE CHEAT"

edit: the last one is a clear demonstration of the sub-genre i talk about, however the first two, tate no yuusha and new gate, its just "appealing" how great fantasy worlds are, its not really (yet/until now) been explicitly said that the MCs would be fine in the fantasy world. However thats the vibe it gives, unlike in the other genre where all characters are dying to get out.

dont mind my unique use of capital letters on manga/anime names xD thats just how i prefer to write them
tongue.gif

ps: almost forgot to state my opinion, its a good animation, really good in my book, i was thinking it was going to be n1 in this season if it weren't for Game of Laplace.

QUOTE (Klyern @ Jul 16 2015, 02:42 AM)No this isn't really a series thats in rivalry with SAO or Log Horizon, its just as good but its a different genre
(basically, the "how do i get out of this death-game!!" genre, and the "awesome, i cant believe I'm in a game!" genre)

The other three series are "Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari", "The New Gate" and "Konjiki no Moji Tsukai - Yuusha yonin ni Makikomareta UNIQUE CHEAT"*An entire audience of a concert hall*..

*Cheers*

Nice Klyern!! Great argument and fact! Too bad it doesn't work against those that say its a rip-off till the end of their lives... I tried such arguments, but they never seem to work against the SAO people...
At some point I simply gave up on defending it against the cults of the others, but I'm really happy to see you make this comment, gives it hope xD

Before I forget, my opinion on the second episode. It will get more adventurous in an episode or 2, for that I praise it for following the manga, although I still doubt madhouse and giving it an ending in the future... As I look towards No game no life and see how it was strangely fitted together compared to its novel story line.

Oh, and I vote on Albedo being the most hilarious followed by Cocytus and his dream.

QUOTE (Masich @ Jul 16 2015, 07:57 AM) I tried such arguments, but they never seem to work against the SAO people...
ouch, yes i remember when SAO had just become big, there were so many of those battles.

Despite .hack// being older, and even before .hack// there was the Nintendo cartoon where the MC got stuck inside the "console world" with the duck hunt pistol (not sure what its called xD)

I don't think there's much sense trying to label something as original nowadays.... im quite confident i can tell you what anything you can mention is ripped off from, up to its origins, but even then someone older might come up and say those origins themselves are ripped off from something like Homer's Odyssey or whatever...

Orca from .hack// might/would even argue and quote Macbeth xD (was it an original quote or was it present only in the dubs? nvm then)

QUOTE (Masich @ Jul 16 2015,5:57 AM)Oh, and I vote on Albedo being the most hilarious followed by Cocytus
QUOTE (Klyern @ Jul 20 2015,11:26 PM)before .hack// there was the Nintendo cartoon where the MC got stuck inside the "console world" with the duck hunt pistol (not sure what its calledthat funny show is 'Captain N' xD but, ruined a nice image i had on many of my NES favorites ;p especially Simon... back to ep.3 now that Momonga decided to protect the weak from those knights i agree, Albedo best gal even armored
happy.gif

Sort of Half way through the series, Enjoying every single moment of it.

It's great, having a series in which you hardly have anything bad to say about it *Cough* CGI *Cough* Although I must admit that it is being used in a smart way for stuff such as the monsters, but you do spot the difference from a mile way nevertheless...

With episode 5 and 6, adding a bunch of new characters, with short but very impressive personality development, which does not collide in a strange way (AKA remembering chilhood moments during a fighting scene) Nope, it actually has a great way of timing everything. Although I am still curious as to where Sebas and Shalltear are! And Clementine is scary as hell!

Review reminder: Albedo, knows no boundaries!

QUOTE (Masich @ Aug 12 2015,11:07 AM)Albedo, knows no boundariesi'm loving its new arc too but she deserves more screentime, especialy after we saw her hug a nude Ainz pillow in ep'6 xD... lately Nabe is stealing the limelight from his Pleiades, at least they're in Combat Maid Squad Chibi-Chara specials
tongue.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Jul 26 2015, 08:16 PM) that funny show is 'Captain N' xD but, ruined a nice image i had on many of my NES favorites ;p especially Simon... Albedo best gal even armored
happy.gif

Yeah, and before that Tron i guess, and before that "mythology"?, being stuck in a death game is an old one, the thing about getting a second chance at life if you beat death in a game of chess (not sure if originally from The Sevent Seal or really mythology), having to answer the Sphinx's riddle, i mean when we talk about being stuck inside a game it means being stuck inside a death game whether you like it or not, and they didn't have computers on that time
tongue.gif
, maybe the closest would be something like the roman coliseum..

Albedo's ending is awesome, cant skip it every time.

QUOTE (Masich @ Aug 12 2015, 11:07 AM)It's great, having a series in which you hardly have anything bad to say about it *Cough* CGI *Cough* Although I must admit that it is being used in a smart way for stuff such as the monsters, but you do spot the difference from a mile way nevertheless...

With episode 5 and 6, adding a bunch of new characters, with short but very impressive personality development, which does not collide in a strange way (AKA remembering chilhood moments during a fighting scene) Nope, it actually has a great way of timing everything. Although I am still curious as to where Sebas and Shalltear are! And Clementine is scary as hell!
QUOTE (Klyern @ Aug 17 2015, 06:02 AM)Albedo's ending is awesomeAgreed but is nice to see Enri's goblins aren't CGI in ep'7, training Carne people to defend themselves... their amazed reaction by the BiG hamster was hilarious which disappoints Ains, now that Clementine met Nphirea i have a bad feeling
sad.gif

Episode 8... Momon has fought an army of Undead and I have fought an army of critics in an hour after its airing... *Lots of Spoiler warnings* If you haven't watched up to episode 8.

Firstly:I have stopped reading the manga (not familiar with the novel) after chapter three, which would come down to episode three (nicely done) As I did not want to spoil myself for this series, so I got like no information or even a PV on what is to come.
Secondly: I already knew that boy was a girl!! why else would they make that comment, as Momon realized(I would've named myself something else, if I were him xD).
Thirdly: The amount of bad commenters, about them being dead and finding it a tragedy!! They all had like Zero development as individuals only as a group! which in the end has only given a small bit of plot convenience. And as Momon said: was only used to raise his reputation, which no-one can comment against until we actually/maybe hear his real thoughts about it.
Lastly: Why do I have to wait an entire week for it to continue!!... Although I do admit that being a slight frustration on my part... and probably many other anime watchers... sadly I do know that there has to be time + money made out of this so..., continue.

All in all, it is still what I believe to be the best show of this year! (Not counting Working!!! as it's in its third season).

QUOTE (Masich @ Aug 12 2015, 11:07 AM)I am still curious as to where Sebas and Shalltear are!
QUOTE (Masich @ Aug 25 2015, 12:41 PM)All in all, it is still what I believe to be the best show of this year! (Not counting Working!!!uh i can't decide which one is my AOTS along Rokka, Ranpo and Gate, yet so far i prefer OL over (pun intended) SAO or LH... despite Ains said 'it doesn't look to be a trap' Niña really was xD overpowered ep.9, about Shalltear watch after its ED
ohmy.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Sep 01 2015, 06:00 PM)about Shalltear watch after its EDI saw that coming.. sort of.. tabun.. >.>
(Do Not click unless you have seen Episode 9) I mean, I was puzzled with the opening for quite some while, it does show that it misses an bunch of characters, which will in no doubt be brought to light in the next few episodes, but, that end part of the opening in which he fights against someone... made me already assume the possibility, even if it may not be Shalltear, as I saw her standing with the rest in the final picture of the opening...
Oh Hell!!! curse this and my mind that questions everything to the ultimate amount of possibilities.

In any case... WTB (Want To Buy) More Albedo screening time! Which will most likely happen in the next coming Arc.

QUOTE (Masich @ Sep 01 2015, 02:51 PM)WTB (Want To Buy) More Albedo screening time! Which will most likely happen in the next coming Arc.less minutes but she's worth every second ;p well finally, ep.10 shows Solution (a slime monmusu xD) and where was Sebas... Bloodfallen too whose vampirism fits her name, I guess Ains helping the humans she hates is her reason of betrayal
sleep.gif

QUOTE (Masich @ Sep 01 2015, 08:51 PM)WTB (Want To Buy) More Albedo screening time! Which will most likely happen in the next coming Arc.Finally more Albedo time!!, I am honestly rooting for her.

Now let's see... Shalltear arc has taken a twist, so let's grab the big weapons!

Oh yeah... Lamest Character Ever!!! Nice outfit, but.. Yeah... there are a few things wrong *Salute*.

QUOTE (Masich @ Sep 15 2015, 11:40 AM)Now let's see... Shalltear arc has taken a twist, so let's grab the big weapons!

Oh yeah... Lamest Character Ever!!! Nice outfit, but.. Yeah... there arat least it isn't as annoying as this german spambot, about her at first i thought brainwash magic didn't affect undead... but is world tier level so in the OP she's on red armor, to think Ains casted 27 spells on himself :0 epic final fight next
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (NecroRyu @ Sep 27 2015, 01:00 AM)at least it isn't as annoying as this german spambot, about her at first i thought brainwash magic didn't affect undead... but is world tier level so in the OP she's on red armor, to think Ains casted 27 spells on himself :0 epic final fight next
biggrin.gif

Epic fight, but where the heck is episode 13?!?!?!?

I waited patiently for Tuesday and just like all the other animes I've come to look forward to, NOTHING! (At least they have the excuse that THEY ended!)

This was the ONE show that I had left to look forward to this week.

Seriously, leaving us to hang on a fade to white?

Someone is an "S", and believes me to be an "M", but I assure you that I am not!
mad.gif

Not really angry, but there isn't a "disappointed" smilie that I know of.... maybe
dry.gif
would cover the bill?

So now I have to sweat not only WORKING! but Overlord as well.

You know... If Madhouse does not announce a Sequel in the next 2 years... or even within a year for this matter... I and most others will.. (Censored due to horrifying language being used). True, it's Madhouse... the studio that brought us No Game No Life(NGNL) but this one actually followed the storyline! (By research after seeing last episode) + having a different director also counts, so it actually has a chance!! that and throwing a 5/6min long cliffhanger at us with multiple stuff? Honestly, if an S2 does not come I will! (Again Censored).

This was for me personally the best anime of the entire year!! True, in the last episode they pulled a Dues Ex Machina during the fight, but let's be honest, every anime does that. There is always that one small scene/event that has never been explained/talked about earlier, but does suddenly get thrown into your face.

To think they have only used the first 3 novels of 9(so far) for 13 episodes... In any case I got few mangas + Light novels to order, so let's get this over with^^

Overall, my rating for Overlord: 8,3/10
Animation: 10/10
Story: 7/10 (Being fair, they have thrown a bunch of stuff at our face, of which we have yet to see the result/explanation)
Characters: 8/10 (It did have more focus towards the end, for many characters, but all in all nothing is perfect).

Oh yeah, there are still a few Overlord mini specials I have yet to see... *Dropped the review End comment, and has gone to watch them*

I want to add this: I actually had tears in my eyes during that scene of the last episode with him looking at them... To everyone who has seen it *you all know which part I mean! Q.Q*

QUOTE (Masich @ Sep 29 2015, 01:39 PM)This was for me personally the best anime of the entire year!! True, in the last episode they pulled a Dues Ex Machina during the fight, but let's be honest, every anime does that.
QUOTE (Knorris908 @ Sep 29 2015, 11:52 AM)I waited patiently for Tuesday and just like all the other animes I've come to look forward to, NOTHING! (At least they have the excuse that THEY ended!)

This was the ONE show that I had left to look forward to this week.the wait is overlord ;/ to see Tear deceived, so Pissed was worth our patience... cool 'Touch Me's Perfect Warrior armor xD, what a s2 cliffhanger while fall starts
Skeletor: Overlord of Evil (TV series 13 episodes) summer 2015 - 9/10

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back