Psycho-Pass 3, Re:Start & films

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~
Staff member
Leader Council

Title: PSYCHO-PASS 2, Project Re:START & PSYCHO-PASS: The Movie
Japanese: サイコパス 2, プロジェクト Re:START & 劇場版 サイコパス
Airing dates: 9/10/2014 (2nd TV series, 11 episodes) and 10/7/2014 (11 extended S1 recap episodes)
Theatrical release date: 9/1/2015 (animated movie)
Genres: Cyberpunk, Dystopian, Crime fiction, Thriller
Series director: Kiyotaka Suzuki
Original character designer: Akira Amano
Directors: Naoyoshi Shiotani (S2) and Katsuyuki Motohiro (movie)
Written by: Tow Ubukata (S2), Gen Urobuchi and Makoto Fukami (movie)
Script by: Jun Kumagai
Music by: Yūgo Kanno
Character designers: Kyoji Asano, Kōji Aoki and Naoyuki Onda
Chief animation director: Akira Takada
Art director: Takahiro Matsuura (S2) and Shuichi Kusamori (movie)
3D director: Yoshifumi Kasanaga (S2) and Atsushi Mimura (movie)
Sound director: Yoshikazu Iwanami
Director of photography: Shunsuke Nakamura (S2) and Eiji Arai (movie)
Color design by: Rumiko Nagai (S2) and Emiko Ueno (movie)
Dominator design by: Makoto Ishiwata
Planning by: Mitsuhisa Ishikawa
Editing by: Yoshinori Murakami
Key animation by: Miyuki Honda
Animation producer: Rui Kuroki
Executive producers: Katsuji Morishita, Kenji Shimizu, Naoki Kitagawa, Tarō Deji, Yoshihiro Furusawa and Yūichi Nakao
Producers: Gen Fukunaga, Kōji Yamamoto, Akitoshi Mori, Masaya Saitō, Fumi Morihiro, Kenji Tobori and George Wada
Production: Nitroplus
Studios: Tatsunoko Production (S2) and Production I.G (movie)
Network: Fuji TV (noitamina)
Opening theme: "Enigmatic Feeling" by Ling Tosite Sigure
Ending theme: "Fallen" by Egoist
OP theme (movie): "Who What Who What" by Ling Tosite Sigure
ED theme (movie): "Namae no Nai Kaibutsu" (名前のない怪物 / A Beast Without a Name) by Egoist

Main cast: Akane Tsunemori (常守 朱) voiced by Kana Hanazawa
Nobuchika Ginoza (宜野座 伸元) voiced by Kenji Nojima
Yayoi Kunizuka (六合塚 弥生) voiced by Shizuka Itō

Shion Karanomori (唐之杜 志恩) voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro
Jōji Saiga (雑賀 譲二) voiced by Kazuhiro Yamaji
S2 cast: Mika Shimotsuki (霜月 美佳) voiced by Ayane Sakura

Sakuya Togane (東金 朔夜) voiced by Keiji Fujiwara
Shō Hinakawa (雛河 翔) voiced by Takahiro Sakurai
Risa Aoyanagi (青柳 璃彩) voiced by Masumi Asano

Mizue Shisui (酒々井 水絵) voiced by Marina Inoue
Kirito Kamui (鹿矛囲 桐斗) voiced by Ryohei Kimura
Movie cast: Shinya Kōgami (狡噛 慎也) voiced by Tomokazu Seki

Nicholas Wong (ニコラス・ウォン) voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya
Desmond Rutaganda (デスモンド・ルタガンダ) voiced by Unshō Ishizuka
S1 cast: Shōgo Makishima (槙島 聖護) voiced by Takahiro Sakurai
Shūsei Kagari (縢 秀星)http://www.psycho-pass.com/images/c_60amano1b.jpg voiced by Akira Ishida
Tomomi Masaoka (征陸 智己) voiced by Kinryū Arimoto
Jōshū Kasei (禾生 壌宗) voiced by Yoshiko Sakakibara
Mitsuru Sasayama (佐々山 光留) voiced by Shintarō Asanuma
Choe Gu-sung (チェ・グソン) voiced by Yasunori Masutani
Rikako Ōryō (王陵 璃華子) voiced by Maaya Sakamoto
Toyohisa Sengūji (泉宮寺 豊久) voiced by Chou Katsumi
TV series S2 PV: http://www.youtube.com/embed/CfQipxKwPbo?autoplay=1&rel=0
Movie & Re:Start PV: http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ob2y3e89F94?autoplay=1&rel=0
Official website: http://www.psycho-pass.com

Synopsis: Sequel to the Psycho-Pass series, taking place one-and-a-half years later. Having learned the true nature of the Sybil System, Akane Tsunemori chose to obey the system, believing in both humanity and the legal order. She's part of a new police section and spends her everyday life facing down criminals. Unbeknownst to Akane, however, a monster who will shake the system to its core is about to appear before her.

QUOTE (franzoir @ Jul 23 2014, 06:06 AM)I'm very nervous about PP2.. I cant go through another R2. I actually almost cant imagine it being good from a narrative perspective.as s2 just premiered i still wonder if Kogami will be one of the new antagonists, like Makishima told him before dying or if he'll help Akane from the shadows
sleep.gif

Interesting news. I'm in the middle of watching the show dubbed right now for the first time. Blind bought the limited edition from Funimation and am very glad I did. The show is excellent so far as well as the dub of it being top notch. Only 4 episodes away from finishing it so I should be done by tonight.

I just started watching this and this is definitely one of those animes that discusses morality and ethics. Episode 01 was sick in the sense that the world they live in is pretty pitiful and messed up but definitely a gripping pilot. I'm gonna finish this today.

EDIT #1:

Turns out my impression of the first episode about the series going to be about morality, is not exactly true, I'm guessing it might play a part as in how the Sibyl system tends to strip humanity of it's freedom and how broken the system can be.

Anyways, I'm about to start episode 10 and it is a very interesting thriller.

Another thing I wanted to add was that I can't actually say it's a unique show because I'm naturally drawn to these kind of stories and there are many series that are similar to Psycho-Pass such as Continuum, Almost Human and X-Files.

X-Files and Psycho-Pass share something in common that is part of the their main male protagonist and it's their obsession over an unsolved case with Mulder trying to find out what happened to his sister and in Psycho-Pass, Kougami's obsession over finding the person called Makishima, who played a part in the death of a friend. In both cases, their obsession has led to be ostracised with Kougami's crime coefficient going well above normal levels leading him to being demoted to an Enforcer and not being able to live a normal life and confined as a "prisoner" within the grounds of his quarters and the CID HQ unless he's accompanied with an Inspector. Whereas in X-Files, Mulder is called "Spooky Mulder" and the other FBI agents tend to disrespect him over that as he prefers to deal with cases to do with the X-Files. In both shows, a female character is introduced, Scully in X-Files and Akane in Psycho-Pass, who both have level-heads and are there to keep their partners out of trouble. However, both female protagonist are not one in the same though as Scully often doesn't believe unless there's evidence, whereas, Akane doesn't really fall in that category.
rolleyes.gif

EDIT #2:

I took a break after I posted the above edit. I just finished episode 11 and damn I wanted her friend Yuki to live, that sucks and now Akane will forever hold the sin of not rescuing her friend.

EDIT #3:

Episode 12 was a cool back story for one of the Enforcers. I just started watching episode 13 and it's back to morality again, which is great because the Sibyl is just plain ass broken.

I just completed this and it was pretty good, I hope season 2 will focus on the destruction of the Sibyl system. For some reason, when I first saw Sibyl's true form, it sort of reminded me of Pyramid in Enslaved: Odyssey to the West but both are very different from each other.

I enjoyed this series quite a bit but it wasn't really thought-provoking, it was just a simple thriller.

My score for this series is a 9/10, the 2nd OP was awesome, sort of reminded me of Ellegarden, I wonder if the band's vocalist that did the 2nd OP is the same one for Ellegarden.

It would be weird if no one were following psycho pass's second season, so im going to guess people are waiting for a bigger development to comment.

My opinion so far, its going well, but i still think its going to be hard to top the last season (not reading the manga or LN atm so no idea how it follows). On a side note, it appears my crime coefficient is 9K acording to http://en.shindanmaker.com/285692
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Klyern @ Oct 15 2014, 09:16 AM)It would be weird if no one were following psycho pass's second season, so im going to guess people are waiting for a bigger development to comment.

My opinion so far, its going well, but i still think its going to be hard to top the last season (not reading the manga or LN atm so no idea how it followthat's what thrills me to watch in S2 specially its new main villain, telling by the synopsis maybe he'll exceed Makishima... i mean Kamui could get away using a Dominator, about what's WC in ep.2 Akane just started to smoke like Kogami
tongue.gif

Hmm the problem with S2 is I was hoping it would be like Gai Rei Zero leading into Gai Rei.

Everything with Akane and Gino is great. Seeing how they have evolved etc. The problem is naturally the WC Kamui main plotline is a poor man's Maki-san. The natural antagonist following S1 should be Kougami, just like Yomi in Gai Rei. Kamui is very uninteresting to me, and in comparison to Maki who I felt was an appropriate and intriguing villain, watching Kamui with his stereotypical atypical god complex leaves me disappointed.

Also if Togane turns out to be Kougami, I think that is the most uninteresting position to put him in. Simply because it betrays the conclusions he came to at the end of S1.

Also criticisms of S1 was that it was slow paced which I felt was unjustified as the earlier cases were adding texture to the world. However, S2 seems to be mimicking S1's pacing which is a problem since by now everyone is established with the rules of this world. S2 needs to be more action orientated.

I have a sneaky suspicion S2 may be filler until the film which wont make me happy.

QUOTE (franzoir @ Oct 23 2014, 02:26 PM)Also if Togane turns out to be Kougami, I think that is the most uninteresting position to put him in.this twist wouldn't convince me too or in case Sho is really Kagari, who at first i had doubts if Kasei killed him in S1... after all one of "her" personalities used to be Kozaburo, very shocking like in ep.4 with all its victims executed as well
dry.gif

Like seriously, what is Mika's problem? Why is she such a bitch. In ep4 I love how they used Yayoi to assess Mika just like she did with Akane in the penultimate episode of S1. The difference is in S1 Yayoi gave Akane her the seal of approval, while in ep4 Yayoi was visibly annoyed with Mika's indecisiveness and ineptitude. She was clearly more concerned about her own neck rather than the hostage situation.

In this episode when Mika goes to the Chief to discuss Akane's 'problems' I was thinking wtf is she doing and then she was brazen enough to tell the Chief to make sure she thinks about what she said, I genuinely thought she was mad or definitely has a screw loose somewhere. When the Chief just remarked in silence that Mika is going to get eaten alive...I just burst out laughing.
If she continues with this attitude, she is in for a world of hurt. She better make sure that she follows Akane's example rather than always criticising her decisions. Everyone apart from her can see Akane is a fine inspector...probably the best.

All throughout the season she has been more annoying than Gino in S1 but this episode really took the cake.

QUOTE (franzoir @ Nov 06 2014, 04:11 PM)throughout the season she has been more annoying than Gino in S1 but this episode really took the cake.still Akane doesn't mind her complaints at all, at least Mika was right to suspect that stalker Togane is up to no good... while seeing the OP i noticed hints that'll prove it, for me ep'6 is the best of s2 so far while Saiga gets more screentime
smile.gif

Have you guys stopped seeing this? xd

Im quite surprised by the theme being revealed, i guess i wasnt the only person obsessing over persona trinity soul's theme/main plot device being the concept of partial brain transplants (as sci fi as it might be). So kamui doesnt just have multiple transplants but even brain transplants from multiple people? thats cool 
biggrin.gif

It seems the author obsessed over this idea way more than i did (just assuming things), thanks to that now we have a revised version of frankenstein, thats cool :3

QUOTE (Klyern @ Nov 30 2014, 1:52 AM)you guys stopped seeing this?I'm watching as soon as it's released weekly (i guess franzoir too), im surprised as well from the latest revelations... specially in ep.9 not only Kirito but Togane and Sybil itself, together to piss off Akane for the first time in its 2 final eps
laugh.gif

I'm watching but if i'm honest I'm very disappointed. S2 is not nearly as interesting or as smart as S1. Infact alot of it is incoherent. This episode highlighting the paradox of being omnipotent i.e can Sibyl be judged is interesting but the story vehicles dont make sense. I get that Kamui is frankenstein's monster but he still has the same face. Your telling me the scanner cant use simple facial recognition?

In fact as random as this stuff with Kamui and Togane thing is, there are some interesting things but it all just seems so disparate from S1. There really needed to be a narrative through line from S1 to S2 and that was Kougami. Is this show really serious in ending this series without even showing Kougami atleast once. He has casted a big shadow over this series especially since he implied to Makishima that he was going sort Sibyl out later. So to see Kamui fulfilling Kougami's and even Akane mission makes no sense to me.

Sigh....oh well...still not at bad as R2.

QUOTE (franzoir @ Dec 04 2014, 06:31 PM) I get that Kamui is frankenstein's monster but he still has the same face. Your telling me the scanner cant use simple facial recognition?
Yeah i get that too, just sticking someone's face on yours shouldnt accomodate the facial features that are searched in facial recognition (if im right its the cheeckbone width nose, bridge length etc right?), i think that would require plastic surgery.

But i guess its just one of those premises we have to live with if we want to keep watching a certain anime.

As far as whether i like this season or not, i like it, i think kamui's dissociative disorder is a bit of what was missing in season 1. Still season 1 was better i agree, this one feels a bit rushed, maybe they couldnt fit all the content they wanted to in only 11 episodes (im starting to think it somehow got the short stick of the season since its 11 episodes instead of 12 or 13).

QUOTE (franzoir @ Dec 04 2014, 05:31 PM) I'm watching but if i'm honest I'm very disappointed. S2 is not nearly as interesting or as smart as S1. Infact alot of it is incoherent. This episode highlighting the paradox of being omnipotent i.e can Sibyl be judged is interesting but the story vehicles dont make sense.
The whole omnipotence paradox talk felt like they were just trying to mimic the philosophical conversations from the first season, but completely failing. Akane and the audience are fully aware that the Sybil system is far from omnipotent since we know what it truly is. Kinda makes the discussion of this paradox meaningless.

The whole season has been a big letdown from season 1 probably starting from the episode where Aoyonagi dies. Then it just kept going down from there. At least Urobutchi will be back for the movie so hopefully they can get past all the inconsistencies between season 1 and 2.

QUOTE (Klyern @ Dec 04 2014, 06:37 PM)As far as whether i like this season or not, i like it, i think kamui's dissociative disorder is a bit of what was missing in season 1. Still season 1 was better i agree, this one feels a bit rushed
QUOTE (Barbobot @ Dec 05 2014, 1:37 AM)Urobutchi will be back for the movie so hopefully they can get past all the inconsistencies between season maybe the change I.G->Tatsunoko, is another reason why isn't as good as S1...
most likely Kougami will be back until the film, still I'm enjoying S2 up to ep.10

QUOTE (Film Synopsis)Year 2116—The Japanese government begins to export the Sibyl System unmanned drone robots to troubled countries, and the system spreads throughout the world. A state in the midst of a civil war, SEAUn (the South East Asia Union), brings in the Sibyl System as an experiment. Under the new system, the coastal town of Shambala Float achieves temporary peace and safety. But then SEAUn sends terrorists to Japan. They slip through the Sibyl System and then attack from within. The shadow of a certain man falls on this incident. In charge of the police, Tsunemori travels to Shambala Float to investigate. The truth of justice on this new ground will become clear.

I gave PP1 9.5...i'm giving this 5.5. Needless to say i'm quite disappointed until I realise it was filler material anyway. What I love about PP1 and early 90s sci-fi anime in general is its rumination on human nature, the state of nature and society. PP1 was so ridiculously relevant it was mirroring world events like debates of art being a gateway to criminality (coincided with people burning violent videogames in certain US states).

One of my chief complaints was the lack of Kougami of PP2...it is not that I feel Kougami is integral to the plot but his dynamic with Akane is. Through the two characters it showed how circumstantial justice can be. Justice as a philosophical concept is quite young, so the ambiguity was nicely served when Kougami did what he thought was best, which was vengeance in pursuit of justice but not real justice. Whereas Akane failed to protect the law when she couldnt kill Maki in her first encounter but not her second.

Why am I talking about PP1? I'm just highlighting how thought provoking PP1 was whereas in PP2 I'm not even sure I understood the plot or purpose of it. I knew Kamui and Togane were gonna blow each other brains out because that happens all the time in shounen anime filler stories when an antagonist needs to be done away with for the sake of expediency and maintaining continuity. So what really changed by the end of PP2? Sibyl can now judge collective entities... big f***ing whoop considering its judgement was always arbitrary to begin with.

Anyway, one of the nice touches I really liked about PP1 was Makishima's foreign ( I think he was German) lieutenant which was a savy piece of worldbuilding. Looking at the synopsis for the movie, that worldbuilding is going to pay dividends. I really cant wait for the film.

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Dec 05 2014, 01:37 AM)has been a big letdown from season 1 probably starting from the episode where Aoyonagi dies. Then it just kept going down from there.
QUOTE (franzoir @ Dec 18 2014, 02:08 PM)Needless to say i'm quite disappointed until I realise it was fillerfor me overall S2 is a decent filler, but I agree it went downhill after Risa dies...

Psycho-Pass 2: Aoyanagi's death arc (2nd TV series eps. 1 to 4) fall 2014 - 8/10
P-P 2: Hungry Chicken's arc xD (2nd TV series episodes 5 to 7) fall 2014 - 7/10
P-P 2: Kamui and Togane's death arc (2nd TV series eps. 8-11) fall 2014 - 6/10

I finally had a chance to sit down and watch the Psycho Pass movie. Within the first 20 minutes I knew this film was something special for the fans.

The first thing that struck me about the plot was this show is no longer just an anime, it is a living breathing world. If it was just a story, it would follow the logical conclusion of trying to bring down SS which is obviously corrupt. Instead Urobuchi makes it clear that (continuing on S1 resolution)...SS is a fact of life and all people can really do is manage it...the revolution will not be televised...atleast not yet. I have always said the most genius world-building in PP1 was Makishima's German Lieutenant  who alluded to the nature of the world outside of Japan. This speculative morsel of exposition pays dividends in the film.

In the film we find out the world is in a post-apocalyptic state. Economic collapse, civil war, strife and human misery is a common occurrence. The only stable nation is Japan thanks to the power of SS. It is here Urobuchi lays his first contradiction and food for thought. In PP1 we are led to believe that the pretension of a crime free society in Japan is slowly choking human dignity. But Urobuchi flips the script with the film. The SS has expanded its reach. It now tells you who you should marry and also has its sights on regional hegemony through its Shambala experiment. It is presented as a stabilising influence which may even have the power to bring world balance. Who cares if your human dignity is being choked as long as you can still live? The Shamabala experiment dials up the problems of the SS by a factor of 1000... people have become human cattle. It resembles India's elitist caste system of the privileged and the untouchables with more guns and deaths. In comparison, Japan looks like a utopia, so surely the SS system cant be that bad? Well yes...yes it can. If Japan is a case study of the problems that can occur when trying to rid society of crime with SS then Shambala is a case study to show what happens when you try to rid a country of war using SS. SS is using the same solution to solve radically different problems and therefore while Japan may seem relatively peaceful in comparison Shambala only serves to reinforce the fact that the nature of SS is not suitable for the human condition especially when ideology is involved.

This leads me nicely onto the characters. This is more Kougami's story than it is Akane. The reason SS doesnt reveal itself to the public is because it would break the thin veil of peace if people knew their destiny was being controlled by something so tenuous and arbitrary, causing  mass dissent and chaos by extension. However, Akane has accepted the true nature of SS and is managing it expertly to the point where SS respects her point of view even without being criminally asymptomatic. This is possibly the most mature route you could take in this world which speaks subtle testaments to Akane's character. So in this film she is merely carrying out her duty she feels she has to Kougami and solving the human indignity the SS creates. So what of Kougami then? His arc was pointless. The special force leader employed by the military police mentions Frantz Fanon. Kougami is suppose to be a Fanon-like figure. A national fighting against his nation's system of oppression. However, Fanon had ethnic claims to the Algerian rebellion whereas Kougami does not unless we count some nebulous asian identity. In the film, he is clearly displaced to the point where even his final fight with the special force mercenary makes no sense. One must ask why Kougami is fighting this guy? Why is he doing anything? But this is not a slight against the film but actually another part of its genius. Unlike Akane, Kougami doesnt want to manage a corrupt system but as previously mentioned SS is a fact of life, therefore anyone wanting to express their autonomy, their ideology and live according to their values is a relic in the post-SS world. And this is where Kougami starts to resemble Makshima. The ghost of Makishima here is handled expertly, I could not have hoped for anything better. In many ways the presence or absence of Makishima is treated like an inverted messianic figure. Someone who died for our passiveness. Another contradiction when you consider Makishima was a psychopath but a necessary one. At the base of Makishima's intentions was for people to express their autonomy and the maintenance of human dignity. Something not possible under SS. Therefore when Makishima literally appears as an apparition to Kougami, it is the same line of enquiry as PP1's finale. Why are you fussing over me, why do you want to pursue this mercenary when you have no real personal investment? Why arent you tackling the real problem? So Kougami is like a dog chasing the reflection of a bone in a pond. He knows what the true problem is but doesnt want to pursue it because then he would be exactly like Makishima. Akane knows it and he knows it. And that is the sad reality of the world SS has created...anyone who wants to champion human individuality only really has two choices, become a criminal/terrorist or live a lonely isolated life. This again ties back into Frantz Fanon's post-colonial seminal book, 'Wretched of the Earth' which the film references stating we either turn terror on our masters or towards ourselves.

Despite how easy it was for the military police to corrput the SS which is possibly an allegory to the Bosnian war, or SS to imperially invade a country through the backdoor...the post-credit scene shows the depressing fact that humans would rather live under a totalitarian state because it is the easier more apathetic choice than expressing your political and social will. Therefore, people like Makishima and Kougami cannot exist.

If you couldnt tell..I loved this film. The plot was unexpected but everything I wanted in terms of elaborating and contextualising the layers and characters of this world.

9/10

QUOTE (franzoir @ Aug 04 2015, 04:51 PM)
I loved this film. The plot was unexpected but everything I wanted in terms of elaborating and contextualising the layers and characters of this worldis great to see KouxAkane's team again, i'm hoping for more films or at least S3

Psycho-Pass 2 (2nd TV series 11 eps) fall 2014 - 7/10 -.- s1 Re:Start was better
P-P the Movie (theatrical film) winter and summer 2015 (BR/DVD) - 9/10

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back