39 replies to this topic

#21 Anybody

Anybody

-sama

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1849 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Aug 02 2013, 03:37 PM)
Considering how particular your tastes and anime-choosing habits are, I'd be more surprised if you actually found the season interesting laugh.gif

And what's VVV?

VVV= Valvrave.

A hilariously over-the-top self-aware deconstruction of gundam franchise.
user posted image

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Fai < My anime List (lol)

#22 Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt

-sama

• Fansub TV Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3344 posts
  • Interests:Anime =) - esp fantasy, school comedy, fighting;
    All sorts of metal - including Japanese;
    All the Japanese stuff;
    Russian science fiction.

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE (Anybody @ Aug 06 2013, 03:26 PM)
VVV= Valvrave.

A hilariously over-the-top self-aware deconstruction of gundam franchise.

Oh, OK. Color me surprised then, as I would've never thought anyone would see that show as "the only worthwhile show of the season", or a worthwhile show at all laugh.gif In any case, I've already talked enough of what I think of it, it's pretty much the same entertainment value as watching a trainwreck.

Still, tastes vary I suppose.

#23 Barbobot

Barbobot

-the Pirate King

• Fansub TV Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4328 posts
  • Interests:Barbobot's Anime List:
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Barbobot

www.animecalendar.net

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

Pretty goddamn brilliant video of the sub vs dub debate.

#24 AccipiterF1

AccipiterF1

-sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hayao Miyazaki Retires From Making Feature Films

http://www.animenews...g-feature-films

#25 julez

julez

-chibi

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3242 posts
  • Interests:on vacation~

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Aug 23 2013, 10:01 AM)

Pretty goddamn brilliant video of the sub vs dub debate.

Yeah it does bring up some interesting points, and I am not TOTALLY against dubs. However like the pro-sub dude in the video I would prefer subs over dubs any day. That being said in the early days of watching anime when I could only find VHS, and they were all dubbed I got so used to the English voices I can't watch it in Japanese (ie. Slayers the Movie, Ranma 1/2). I've seen EVA dubbed first, and I thought it was OKAY... but I could never get used to Asuka's voice. After seeing some of it subbed, I prefer the Japanese voices. I'm a really fast reader too, so it's hard for me to understand when people say they can't read the lines at the bottom of the screen because it goes by too fast.
Yes there are exceptions to that, the dialogue in Tatami Galaxy does go by in super speed and it's definitely challenging to keep up. I also miss a lot of words in the "black pauses" in Monogatari (that wouldn't be said out loud anyway).

QUOTE (AccipiterF1 @ Sep 01 2013, 09:41 AM)

It makes me sad, but it's inevitable.... he had to retire someday. sad.gif Hes 72 and he's had an amazing career that inspired many others. I look forward to seeing his last film, the lead is voiced be Hideaki Anno (lol). I've also enjoyed some other offerings from Ghibli not directed by him, like From Up on Poppy Hill and Arrietty. Yeah maybe they were missing some of his magic, but they were still really really good.

Currently Watching:

Shingeki no Kyojin, Monogatari Series: Second Season, Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-hen, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S, Genshiken Nidaime, Silver Spoon, Free!, Blood Lad, Rozen Maiden Zur�ckspulen, Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince, Space Brothers, Uchouten Kazoku, Servant x Service, Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation, Gatchaman Crowds, Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou

My Anime List

#26 Kit-Tsukasa

Kit-Tsukasa

-desu

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10929 posts
  • Interests:Watching anime since childhood.
    I wait for quality releases. Need recommendations? Just ask.

Lurked Fansub TV since November 2004
    Joined Fansub TV Forums in December 2005
    Sempai in June 2006
    Fansub TV Team in October 2006
    10000th post in July 2011
    Fansub TV Leader in January 2011

Interested in revitalizing Fansub TV Forums. Support requested.

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE (AccipiterF1 @ Sep 01 2013, 06:41 AM)

To be honest, I'm more glad than sad about him retiring. Hayao Miyazaki is obviously the most successful and renowned Japanese anime film director and I certainly praise and admire him for that. On the other hand, because of this fame, it doesn't really give much opportunity for his peers to shine internationally. If you ask your average non-otaku, they will likely know who Miyazaki is as well as what "legendary" works he has done. However, if you ask about Miyazaki's peers like Hideaki Anno, Makoto Shinkai, Mamoru Oshii, Satoshi Kon, Mamoru Hosoda, and/or Akiyuki Shinbou, etc... the same person may have heard/seen the works these directors have done but couldn't for the life of them match the director to their respective work.

While Miyazaki certainly has the "magic touch" in many of his films (though I tend to like Shinkai works better), hopefully his retirement opens the door for the international non-otaku community to be more receptive of other directors and works. Hopefully it stops the whole "oh it's not Miyazaki so it must be bad" logic among some and ideally lessen the alienating of anime fans or otakus in the international community.

#27 Ryu

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts
  • Interests:Registered in 2006 mostly as a lurker until 2011, so I post daily since FTV became less active lately :(

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:57 AM

QUOTE (julezia @ Jun 15 2013, 12:15 PM)
Kimi no Iru Machi (I haven't seen the OVAs, is that OK?)
QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Jun 15 2013, 07:49 PM)
QUOTE (Barbobot @ Jun 15 2013, 07:18 PM)
I haven't seen the OVAs like julez so hopefully that doesnt matter.
It shouldn't matter or so I think. The OVAs kind of jumped into the middle of the manga and started animated a short arc. I assume the series will animate from the beginning
actually looks like Tv ep.1 subbed yesterday chronologically happens after the OVAs, now that apparently all series from summer line-up have started here are my top 10 favorites so far ^^
1. Monogatari Series: Second Season
2. Ghost in the Shell: ARISE
3. Rozen Maiden (2013? Tales? or Zuruckspulen? ¬¬ whatever)
4. Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-hen
5. Blood Lad
6. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya
7. Kami-sama no Inai Nichiyoubi
8. Genshiken Nidaime
9. Kimi no Iru Machi
10. Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei The Animation

...about series that debuted last spring, listed from high to low preference too:
1. Space Battleship Yamato 2199
2. Shingeki no Kyojin
3. Hataraku Maou-sama!
4. Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru.
5. Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.
6. Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai. (S2)
7. Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge
8. Suisei no Gargantia
9. Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties
10. Arata Kangatari

Edited by NecroRyu, 18 September 2014 - 09:01 AM.

August theme: Gamers! -a: stalker Karen, s: Opening parodies
Posted ImagePosted Image
Scores of my Latest Top 15 Anime TV series, OVAs &/or Films:
1. Fate/Apocrypha - 10/10 (airing) C-
2. Knight's & Magic - 10/10 (airing) B-
3. Gamers! Amano Keita to Seishun Continue - 9/10 (ar) A-
4. Sakura Quest - 9/10 (airing) A+
5. Boku no Hero Academia 2nd Season - 8/10 (airing) B
6. New Game!! - 8/10 (airing) A+
7. Dragon Ball Super - 8/10 (airing) B-
8. Re:Creators - 7/10 (airing) B+
9. Isekai Shokudou - 7/10 (airing) A+
10. Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni. - 7/10 (airing) B-
11. The Reflection: Wave One - 6/10 (airing) B-
12. Atom: The Beginning - 6/10 (ongoing?) A
13. Ballroom e Youkoso - 5/10 (week break) B
14. Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul - 5/10 (double break) B
15. Shoukoku no Altair - 4/10 (double week break) B+
*Guilty pleasure: Kyoukai no Rinne 3rd Series - 4/10 (airing) A

#28 Dragon-of-Rune

Dragon-of-Rune

-Jigoku Sensei

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4643 posts
  • Interests:Anime/Manga

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

My List.

Season 2:

Valvrave
Kuroko
Freezing
IS
White Album

OVA's:

Yozakura Quartet
Yahari ore no seishun
Chihayafuru

Movies:

Persona3
Kara no Kyoukai
Code Geass
GITS Border 2
Captain Harlock

Watch first 2 episode's and then decide what i keep on watching:

Walkure Romance
Galilei Donna
Gundam Build Fighters
Kill La Kill
Yozakura Quartet
Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai
Yowamushi
Outbreak Company
Coppelion
Golden Time
Strike the Blood
Ore no Nounai Sentakushi Ga
Toaru Hukuushi e no Koiuta

Amasignature2.jpg
crew.jpg
BestAvatarandSignature.jpg
MostSeriousMember.jpg
Userbars:
chaoslegion.jpg
asa.jpg
FFFUserbar.jpg

Secret Info:
Proud Captain of the AALS - Anti Anti Lolis Squad.
Secret planner of the third AALS - ALS war. Contact me for further information tongue.png

#29 Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt

-sama

• Fansub TV Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3344 posts
    All the Japanese stuff;
    Russian science fiction.

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

This will be the post for my season first impressions:

Kyoukai no Kanata - decent premise, boring school setting, good-looking animation, and decent-looking backgrounds (surprising given the studio). This could've been a nice guilty pleasure series. If. Only if a different studio made it. As it stands, we get a typical KyoAni moeblob that will likely just use the setup as a wallpaper and spend the rest of the time on otaku pandering. A shame really - first 15 minutes or so were quite good. Rank: FAIL

BlazBlue - as expected, a cheap tie-in with little value. Mediocre animation and script, and basically feels like an animated "story mode" from the game. Not that I expected much from a fighting game spin-off, but still unfortunate. Also, a shame GONZO didn't get to work on this.

Edited by Ausdoerrt, 09 October 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#30 Kid-Wolf

Kid-Wolf

~ Random Touhou link finder ~

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9064 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Touhou, games (be they PC, console, or even traditional biased), Touhou, Meidos, Visual Novels, Touhou, oh and did I mention Touhou lol

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Oct 03 2013, 01:42 PM)
Kyoukai no Kanata - decent premise, boring school setting, good-looking animation, and decent-looking backgrounds (surprising given the studio). This could've been a nice guilty pleasure series. If. Only if a different studio made it. As it stands, we get a typical KyoAni moeblob that will likely just use the setup as a wallpaper and spend the rest of the time on otaku pandering. A shame really - first 15 minutes or so were quite good. Rank: FAIL

Well I have to agree with you on being warry about it being KyoAni doing this series. Although I have to say that the female lead seems kind of like Nagato from the Haruhi series with the glasses, and minus the alien portion.

*sigh* If only they did the Nagato Yuuki spinn-off story though. Well I guy can dream can't he? laugh.gif

- Miko Miko Mode Oni Version

#31 TNT

TNT

-nii

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

So, browsing through the list on the fansub mainpage...is it just me or are there a lot of Harem series?

What other stuff has KyoAni done that you're all so weary of them?
user posted image
Aku wa yurusan!

#32 Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt

-sama

• Fansub TV Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3344 posts
    All the Japanese stuff;
    Russian science fiction.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (TNT @ Oct 08 2013, 02:01 PM)
So, browsing through the list on the fansub mainpage...is it just me or are there a lot of Harem series?

What other stuff has KyoAni done that you're all so weary of them?

There are ALWAYS a lot of harem series smile.gif

Just about every KyoAni show is essentially the same. I haven't seen any decent "staple" shows from them since the original Haruhi, and I generally hate their writing style.

#33 Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt

-sama

• Fansub TV Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3344 posts
    All the Japanese stuff;
    Russian science fiction.

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:14 PM

Aand, Yozakura OP wins the "Engrish of the season" award laugh.gif

Non Non Biyori isn't exactly ache-in-the-tummy funny, but is undeniably cute.

Edited by Ausdoerrt, 15 October 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#34 Barbobot

Barbobot

-the Pirate King

• Fansub TV Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4328 posts
  • Interests:Barbobot's Anime List:
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Barbobot

www.animecalendar.net

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

Interesting stuff happening in the anime business world right now. Was just announced that Space Dandy will be receiving a (roughly) simultaneous TV broadcast between Japan, Asia, and NA (US and maybe Canada?). Space Dandy will actually be airing in America on Toonami english dubbed before the Japanese broadcast, which kinda blows my mind.

Really hope this works out to be successful for Funimation and all those involved since it could lead to more of these simultaneous releases. Though I imagine working on it and working with the japanese productions is gonna suck butt.

#35 AccipiterF1

AccipiterF1

-sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Oct 03 2013, 01:42 PM)
This will be the post for my season first impressions:

It's better than that. There was quality action in each episode so far, a well executed story-line, and a solid twist - if only in its scale - in the 4th episode. But yeah, KyoAni NEEDS to evolve their character designs already.

#36 Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt

-sama

• Fansub TV Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3344 posts
    All the Japanese stuff;
    Russian science fiction.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:59 PM

Not too surprising really - I mean Cowboy Bebop's like one of 3-4 shows everyone is crazy about Stateside, makes sense for them to capitalize on that. No telling if Dandy turns out to be as palatable for the typical non-anime-fan Western audience, though.

#37 Silendris

Silendris
  • Kouhais
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:41 PM

I just saw the four episodes of Corpse Party OVA...
I can't recall feeling this bad, noxious and sick in years...
I had to skip ahead several times throughout the episodes since I couldn't bare to watch that horror show without almost getting convulsions. =( Before it had ended I was crying.

Why does such vile, horrible shows exist?! Whyyy?! T__T
~The 1000th Summer~

#38 gdpetti

gdpetti

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:16 AM

Why does such vile, horrible shows exist?! Whyyy?! T__T

Usually it's called 'conditioning' of the mind, step by step, until you are willing to accept even more BS in your life, more control etc, and it usually starts innocently at birth, as one generation passes the 'programming' on to the next generation, without realizing WTF they are doing, nor why. This type of conditioning isn't always 'bad', some of it can be used for 'good'(as we learn the most in life from our worst experiences)as a preparation for the stresses of life. or as nudges to look at things we wouldn't normally look at, though if you spend too much time disassociating into fantasy, your mind starts disconnecting from reality... ie the whole NEET situation that can occur with young or old people working throughout their lives, rising families and all the usual stuff, only to wonder late in life or earlier that something feels wrong... this is the sign that you may be 'waking up'. ph34r.gif If so, the Matrix will either try to keep you asleep or encourage you to 'be like them', join the 'dark side of the Force' etc... or just use the usual distraction devices that entertainment is good at, religion has been doing it much longer of course, as has politics etc. All of this is called 'vectoring' the subject into those 'dead ends' such as found with Neo in the Matrix films... 'you know where that street goes Neo'. If they can't get you to 'join the team', then they will attempt to vector you back to sleep or into various dead ends.

You get used to this stuff as you grow up and stop paying attention to it, you get 'conditioned' to it, which is useful in video games in training potential soldiers/assassins to kill, maim, kidnap and torture without conscience consideration... step by step until you find yourself doing things in life that you never would have even considered beforehand... step by step until you find yourself stuck in 'quicksand' in your mind which trains the body to ignore those cues from conscience... training for the 'dark side' of the ego self. If they can't you you numb, the will try to scare you so that you ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist.

Too 'deep' for an explanation? This stuff has always been a part of life here in what some have referred to as one dimension of 'Purgatory'... in which history seems to repeat and repeat it's lessons until we individually learn... then the Choice nexus point arrives... remember that scene in Harry Potter? 'Its our choices that matter, Harry'... or something like that. You choose to notice these clues or you do not, just like Neo in the Matrix, by free will you choose to follow one side or the other, it's just that the 'dark side' can and will use any means necessary to get you to choose their side of the cosmic equation, whether you know and understand that choice or not, this is how countries become empires and get their people to fight and die for them... same BS routine throughout history, and it starts with these little steps of mental conditioning, indoctrination etc... It's used in every field, look at all the BS in economics or science as they try to sell you their crap.

You stumbled upon a glitch in the program, you noticed the programming for a moment, where you go from here is up to you... the 'rabbit hole' awaits each of us when we are ready, and from there Alice likes to go through the Looking Glass, the next level of the 'game'.

We are rapidly approaching the end of this one which is said to reset next year, and if you look around in the world today, you will see signs or clues everywhere, in anime, tv, film, books, politics, schools, business, finance... the same fractal patterns, like karma, filter in and through everyone everywhere to get our attention... pain is the fastest and surest method known... perhaps you've noticed? dry.gif

I remember having that reaction a long time ago when I saw the film "Pet Cemetary" by Stephen King... it didn't seem to bother most people, but that was many years ago and you can see that horror, rape, pillage, murder and mayhem are now the norm in most formats of 'entertainment', which reflects our reality of empire-building by the Western partners in crime, thus the reason none of the nations spied on say much of anything... they are all in on it... same with the fiat money that has the spigot running full blast these days.... they are preparing to 'pull the rug out' any moment now... hard to tell how many weeks/days before they do so... but Mother Nature is inbound in the Spring or sometime next year anyway... so.... whatever. If you look, you will notice this pattern everywhere... just follow the rabbit. unsure.gif

Edited by gdpetti, 29 November 2013 - 01:24 AM.

#39 Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt

-sama

• Fansub TV Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3344 posts
    All the Japanese stuff;
    Russian science fiction.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:20 PM

I've got to say, this season has been VERY saturated so far. Lots of good shows and a few more decent shows - one of the best seasons in the past few years, I think.

I'm a bit surprised there isn't a thread about one of if not the best show of this season - Kyousougiga - on the forum, but I'm too lazy to make one. biggrin.gif For those who haven't been following it, I highly suggest it - it's deep but not pretentious or obtuse, and it's surprisingly original in many ways despite being VERY "anime" in the classical sense. Makes me feel glad they haven't forgotten how to make shows like these.

#40 gdpetti

gdpetti

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

Just watched the whole Tamayura series again... yes, it is that good... a very mature feel to the piece... reminds me of some of Adachi's one-shot mangas... that nostalgic look back at the past within the present that reflects it... and the soundtrack's use of the songs in various formats really is nice by the end of the last season.

The main character reminds me of the Lain girl... only the subject matter isn't esoteric, but the basic reality check that a close death has on one, especially if young... as if time stops or at least slows down to slow motion until you see or feel it's presence frame by frame.

Edited by gdpetti, 20 May 2014 - 06:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users