29 replies to this topic

#21 gdpetti

gdpetti

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:02 AM

It's hard to say an 'Asian' or even a 'Japanese' should've played the part when hardly any anime character looks that way! :lol:

It really comes down to the 'feel' of the character, which I didn't see in the preview... but the rest looked great, right? ;)

We really don't see much of the Major in the preview... and alot of it looks like weird CGI overlay... doesn't look right, but it may not be a finished product... as the CGI is usually done last, right? That's what I remember.

Angelina, Mila? No, but better perhaps.. but SJ looked good in "Lucy" when the drug took effect... but IMO that isn't right for the Major's character... there was a different feel to the character in the original manga... very 80s, but it changed in the last volume... not the Major we know recently, but closer... you can see the character changes reflect our changed society... more dystopian... 'end-times' etc..

Jodie/Sandra??? :o  What is that? No way... unless they want to do a comedy? ^_^

The role is good for a reason, and it requires a certain type of actor that can do it right... express it as it is currently being displayed in the current films/animes... which can look different, but the feel of the character has to be there.... maybe the preview is a bad example of what the film will actually show us? It's possible, maybe it's still unfinished? When is the release date? The rest of the preview looked good and dark, so it's really hard to tell with that crappy CGI overlay, but the face of SJ that was shown didn't look 'right'.... IMHO... of course! :P

#22 Ryu

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3827 posts
  • Interests:Scores of my Latest Top 15 Anime TV series, OVAs &/or Films:
    1. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku... - 10/10 (a) A
    2. Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon - 10/10 (airing) B
    3. Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 - 9/10 (airing) B
    4. Sangatsu no Lion - 9/10 (airing) C-
    5. Fuuka - 8/10 (airing) B-
    6. Masamune-kun no Revenge - 8/10 (airing) A
    7. Little Witch Academia - 8/10 (airing) A-
    8. Seiren - 7/10 (airing) B
    9. Demi-chan wa Kataritai - 7/10 (airing) A+
    10. Chain Chronicle: Haecceitas no Hikari - 7/10 (airing) B+
    11. Rewrite 2nd Season: Moon-hen / Terra-hen - 6/10 (ar) C-
    12. Tales of Zestiria the X 2nd season - 6/10 (airing) B+
    13. Koro-sensei Quest! - 5/10 (airing) A-
    14. Dragon Ball Super - 5/10 (airing) A+
    15. Reikenzan: Eichi e no Shikaku - 4/10 (airing) B-
    *G. pleasure: Ao no Exorcist Kyoto Fujouou-hen - 4/10 (ar) B-

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:01 PM

We really don't see much of the Major in the preview... and alot of it looks like weird CGI overlay... doesn't look right, but it may not be a finished product... as the CGI is usually done last, right? That's what I remember.

Angelina, Mila? No, but better perhaps.. but SJ looked good in "Lucy" when the drug took effect... but IMO that isn't right for the Major's character... there was a different feel to the character in the original manga... very 80s, but it changed in the last volume... not the Major we know recently, but closer... you can see the character changes reflect our changed society... more dystopian... 'end-times' etc..

Jodie/Sandra??? :o  What is that? No way... unless they want to do a comedy? ^_^

well the manga got more comedy, they're action heroine examples by decade... about weird Cg overlay, just found a 'dare to compare' live action vs 1st film <_<
February Valentine's day -a/s: Shouwa Rengoku Rakugo Shinju
Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 gdpetti

gdpetti

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:45 PM

Just watched this clip of the comparison.. interesting.... it seems they are trying to do a live action version pretty much straight up..... but, though the actress can play the type, she might be too old for the part.. not 'tight' enough for the part... should've spent more time in the gym, but her attitude is 'soft'... way too 'soft' for the character as the animes have been protraying her in recent years.... she looks too 'soft'... in form and attitude....

she looks wrong for the part... even the original manga had her as more of a badass like 2guns in Black Lagoon... this looks way too 'American'... and this is just from a couple of previews??? that's not good, but for the general audience in the States etc. it might not matter, as they probably never heard of this work before.... America usually does the goofy superhero stuff, not the dark Blade Runner kind from years ago. She doesn't look right here from the little I see... oh well.

#24 Ryu

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3827 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:00 AM

this looks way too 'American'... and this is just from a couple of previews??? that's not good, but for the general audience in the States etc. it might not matter, as they probably never heard of this work before.... America usually does the goofy superhero stuff, not the dark Blade Runner kind from years ago.

now that you mention it i just found the trailer, finally a sequel 35 years later!.. so GITS live'action and BR'2049 will be released next year, what a coincidence :o
Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 gdpetti

gdpetti

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:09 AM

Interesting that they'd decided to reboot it, update it or whatever, only problem I initially see is the main actor, Ryan Gosling.... might be a similar problem to the GITS situation... he just doesn't 'have it' as a male lead... few do male or female, which makes them exceptions to the rule in terms of being box office superstars... able to 'deliver' opening weekend returns... maybe I'm wrong, I really don't keep up on the situation here anymore, but, like it or not, good or bad actor, Harrison Ford 'had it' in terms of being a star that stayed popular... same with the gay Scientologist actor... name escapes me.... oh well... Tom .... Cruise... that's it.... like him or not, he delivers, and neither of them have great charisma either... they have a 'look' that works for the parts they play... as long as they don't stray from those parts. Ryan doesn't have that look... you could call it a 'new' or 'anti-hero' type, but either you have the 'look' or you don't and like the actress in the AMerican GITS film, they just don't 'have it'.... not to say the product is bad, just harder to sell it in the marketplace.

BTW, that preview isn't much, is it? But they are probably still in production, so it's just an initial teaser to whet the audience... pump up expectations etc.

BTW2... a similar 'remake' from a foreign to domestic product from a while back... was the French 'La Femme Nikita'... the American product didn't look as good in any way, shape or form.. and the actress was wrong for that role as well... the original had a certain 'feel' to it, that the American product didn't even seem to care about or try to emulate... and it turned out as a pile of mush.... not her fault.. bad casting, bad script adaptation, etc... the AMerican GITS looks good from the preview, but the actress doesn't have the right 'look' for the Major... a bad sign for their marketing dept... unless they can come up with a better preview at minimum, even if the film is mush... they need the opening weekend to pump ticket sales, ads etc. I would still like to see the mangaka take up the reins on that old manga of his and take it to the next level... but maybe he doesn't know how... or where things are going... so he sits spinning his wheels... and his old material keeps doing much the same in various reboots.

For some reason the  post button isn't working....

#26 Ryu

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3827 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:00 AM

the AMerican GITS looks good from the preview, but the actress doesn't have the right 'look' for the Major... a bad sign for their marketing dept... unless they can come up with a better preview at minimum, even if the film is mush... they need the opening weekend to pump ticket sales, ads etc.

well here is the Super Bowl spot trailer, officially announcing it for March 31st... Showing other scenes get my curiousity, a bit more to go watch it next month :P
Posted ImagePosted Image

#27 gdpetti

gdpetti

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 02:44 AM

Well, it's better, but I still don't think she's 'right' for the part... not an age thing.... the Major as portrayed in the recent works seems about that age... but in an ageless way that 2d anime is better at showing obviously... but in live action, i think she needed to be 'cut'... not chisled, but 'tight'... as she looks 'soft'.... which as 'shell' she wouldn't be... and her whole look is 'soft' as well in the dialogue and body movements.... I think they needed someone more like Milla Jovovich... or someone like that... with the attitude that I don't see on this actress's face... but some of that is the director's fault, as i've seen her do better in that other movie... and given this script, it seems this android/ghost body is a new thing... this preview seems to imply that it isn't a standard operation for injured troops.... even specialized ones like the Major.... that's what I got from this preview anyway.

But the film looks great visually.... but it all comes down to the part of the Major, and if that doesn't work, all this visually beautiful film will go to waste and the internet will crash it.... but maybe I'm wrong? Maybe this preview isn't showing the Major we know from the Japanese manga/anime... and it could've been reconfigured for this Hollywood project... that could be this implication from the preview... as if the 'ghosting' affect is a new process and she's one of the first, if not the first, shell... ??? :unsure: I'd like it to be good though.... I like the storyline... just wish it  would be pushed forward instead of always returning to the starting point... but the mangaka is at fault for that.... he never took that next step that I know of. All of which reminds me of how often Hollywood 'reboots' film franchises... same with the anime in Japan, the same concepts/storylines tweeked just a bit, over and over each season... nothing new... or really 'original'.

I have to wait and see what the reviews are next month from you. :o

#28 Ryu

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3827 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:00 PM

But the film looks great visually.... but it all comes down to the part of the Major, and if that doesn't work, all this visually beautiful film will go to waste and the internet will crash it.... but maybe I'm wrong? Maybe this preview isn't showing the Major we know from the Japanese manga/anime... and it could've been reconfigured for this Hollywood project... that could be this implication from the preview... as if the 'ghosting' affect is a new process and she's one of the first, if not the first, shell... ??? :unsure: I'd like it to be good though.... I like the storyline... just wish it would be pushed forward instead of always returning to the starting point... but the mangaka is at fault for that.... he never took that next step that I know of. All of which reminds me of how often Hollywood 'reboots' film franchises... same with the anime in Japan, the same concepts/storylines tweeked just a bit, over and over each season... nothing new... or really 'original'.

I have to wait and see what the reviews are next month from you. :o

yup especially if i win premiere ticket, i have seen ads at local theaters already... easier than one for the Tokyo event, nice to hear the 1st GiTS film intro again :D
Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 gdpetti

gdpetti

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:47 AM

Interesting.... what I found more interesting is the other vid "What Japanese Think of Whitewashing (Ghost in the shell, Death Note...)

That said, on GiTS... I can see the director wanting to emphasize the initial adaptation of the major's ghost into her shell... the emotional transition/adjustment etc... but I still don't see Scarlett in the part... she would fit perhaps more with the initial manga type character or the second manga one.... but since the reboot of the character/story a few years back, Scarlett doesn't fit the new major... which isn't a problem really, especially for Western audiences that mostly have no idea what this character/story is... it's not Batman or the other well known Marvel type characters that have been done to death here in recent years.... so from a marketing standpoint, the choice is obvious, but if you want to keep with the intent of the original character or the reboot, then there's a problem as Scarlett seems too 'soft'... but that is a difference, if I remember correctly, between the manga and the rebooted anime.. she's gotten 'harder' and shorter.... the original manga had her as an 80s supermodel type only with a party animal personality... then the mangaka changed it when he changed her body type.... but not the personality too much, just that she outgrew the team and left them behind... to use as backup when needed... she went indie.... which the later anime took to another level with a different form/body type... shorter... less supermodelish.... more intense... and this is my question on Scarlett's take on the character, as presented by the director... as the script seems much the same, only with some added 'transition' scenes... not sure.. hopefully, the finished product will look better after the CG dept gets done with it.... always hard to tell at this stage... unless those previews were the finished product? That 'transition' isn't dealt with in the manga/anime much... as her personality doesn't 'soften' up much to show it.... the manga has her more outgoing like 2 guns in Black Lagoon... only to make her more professional in the body change... I think the tv anime had a mix? pushing to the later... and the rebooted work has none of the supermodel party girl aspect to the 2Guns type personality and more military-intel minded... introspective... the 'transition' is all in her mind... which fits the character as the anime showed her.. but that wasn't the type of personality in the manga.. not that I remember anyway... so if Hollywood wants to change it, it should be acceptable as the anime did the same... and if it looks good, and works right as an action movie, then no one will really care except the otuko types. I don't care, I'm more interested in the series going to the next level, but that doesn't seem to be in the works of its creator... as it keeps getting a reboot to the beginning.

If the director made the rest of the movie look as good as the backgrounds in the previews, then it should work out fine... just a different 'Major' than previous ones... again, nothing new... I just prefer the more introspective type... more intense... but less 'American' in its 'superhero' film models...so it's to be expected.

#30 Ryu

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3827 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:59 PM

Interesting.... what I found more interesting is the other vid "What Japanese Think of Whitewashing (Ghost in the shell, Death Note...)

after a 3rd japanese Death Note live-action, Light Up the New World last year... also i found interesting this latest trailer, Major's red outfit (Arise reference?)^_^
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users