Shoukoku no Altair

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~
Staff member
Leader Council

Title: Altair: A Record of Battles
Japanese: 将国のアルタイル
Airing date: 7/7/2017 (TV series 24 episodes)
Genres: Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Historical, Shounen
Original creator: Kotono Katō
Directors: Kazuhiro Furuhashi and Takashi Igari (assistant)
Written by: Noboru Takagi
Music by: Ryō Kawasaki
Character designer: Toshiyuki Kanno
Art director: Kazuo Ogura (KUSANAGI)
3D director: Ryōichi Ishigami
Sound director: Eriko Kimura
Director of photography: Yoshihisa Oyama
Art setting by: Iho Narita (KUSANAGI)
Color setting by: Azusa Sasaki
Prop design by: Daisuke Niitsuma
Studio: MAPPA
Network: MBS, TBS, BSN, BS-TBS (Animeism B2)
Opening theme: "Rasen no Yume (螺旋のユメ / Spiral Dream)" by SID
Ending theme: "Taiyō no Aitōka (たいようの哀悼歌 - エレジー / Elegy for the Sun)" by FLOWER
2nd OP theme: "Akairo (赫色 / Red-colored)" by CIVILIAN
2nd ED theme: "Windy" by CHEMISTRY

Main cast: Tuğril "Golden Eagle" Mahmut Pasha (犬鷲のトゥグリル・マフ ムート・パシャ / 将軍) voiced by Ayumu Murase
Cyrus γιός Apollodorus (キュロス・イオス・アポロドロス) voiced by KENN
Abiriga (アビリガ) voiced by Junichi Suwabe

Türkiye Stratocracy:
Büyük Pasha (大将軍のビュラク・パシャ)
Tesisat-Kapı Saruça Pasha (水門のテシサトゥ・カプ・サルジャ・パ シャ / 将軍)
Kurt Kurt Pasha (狼のクルト・クルト・パシャ / 将軍)
Mimar Zeki Pasha (建築家のミマール・ゼキ・パシャ / 将軍)
Şanslar Nurzan Pasha (幸運のシャンスル・ヌルザーン・パシャ / 将軍)
Antal Cemil Pasha (蹄鉄のアナトル・ジェミル・パシャ / 将軍)
Deve İlkay Pasha (駱駝のデヴェ・イルカイ・パシャ / 将軍)
Ahmet (アフメット)
Zehir "Poison" Zağanos Pasha (毒薬のゼヘル・ザガノス・パシャ / 将軍)
voiced by Makoto Furukawa
Kara Kanat "Black Wings" Süleyman (カラ・カネット・スレイマン) voiced by Katsuyuki Konishi
Şehir Halil Pasha (大都市のシェヒル・カリル・パシャ / 将軍) voiced by Kenichi Ogata

Şapka "Hat" Ibrahim Vali (シャプカ・イブラヒム・バリ) voiced by Takuya Satō
Lir Esnaf:
Roxelana (ロクセラーナ)
Coco (ココ)
Koran (コラン)
Shara (シャラ)
voiced by Yōko Hikasa
Four Sultanates:
Nilüfer Fatma (ニリュフェル・ファトマ)
Kemal (ケマル)
Yağ "Oil" Uzun (ヤグ・ウズン)
Yüz-Maske "100 Masks" Selim (ユズ・マスカ・セリム)
Al-Kaplan "Red Tiger" Balaban (アル・カプラン・バラバン)
voiced by Kazuya Nakai
Ulema Beyazit (ウレマー・バヤジット) voiced by Kōki Uchiyama

Armut Ayşe (アルムト・アイシェ) voiced by Ai Kayano
Kiliç Orhan (クルチュ・オルハン) voiced by Nobunaga Shimazaki
Silâh Ismail (スイラーフ・イスマイル) voiced by Nobuhiko Okamoto
Balt-Rhein Empire:
Emperor Goldbalt XI (ゴルドバルト11世)
Ryan Lowe (ライアン・ロゥ)
Simon Blanchard (シモン・ブランシャール)
Duke Eisenstein (エイゼンシュテイン公爵)
Nicolo (ニコロ)
Virgilio Louis (ビルヒリオ・ルイ)
voiced by Kenjirō Tsuda

Lelederik (レレデリク) voiced by Yū Kobayashi
Gralat Berlurik (グララット・ベルルリック) voiced by Takahiro Sakurai
Imperial Army:
Lili Kokoschka (リリー・ココシュカ)
Corentin Pineau (コランタン・ピノー)
Johan Frentzen (ヨハン・フレンツェン)
Anton Adam (アントン・アダム)
Dirk Wichter (ディルク・ヴィヒター)
Theo Androsch (テオ・アンドロシュ)
Hermann:
Jacques Jourdain (ジャック・ジョルダン侯爵)
Siegfried Kaufmann (ジークフリート・カウフマン伯爵)
Röd Orm:
Eleanor (エレノア)
Tristan Baret (トリスタン・バレ)
Centro's City-States:
Cecilia Brega (チェチリア・ブレガ)
Apollodorus (アポロドロス)
Constantinus (コンスタンティノス)
Zenon (ゼノン)
Nicephorus (ニケフォロス)
Amadeo Boccanegra (アマデオ・ボッカネグラ)
Roni Boccanegra (ロニ・ボッカネグラ)
Gino Boccanegra (ジーノ・ボッカネグラ)
Doge Donatello Doria (ドナテッロ・ドーリア)
Carvajal (カルバハル)
Cassandra (カサンドラ)
Doge Antonio Lucio (アントニオ・ルチオ)
voiced by Daisuke Ono
Silvestro Brega (シルヴェストロ・ブレガ) voiced by Kazuhiro Yamaji

Cuore di Rumeliana & South Rumeliana:
Caterina di Rossi (カテリーナ・デ・ロッシ)
Giovanni di Orsani (ジョバンニ・デ・オルシーニ公爵)
Brigitta Grimaldi (ブリジッタ・グリマルディ)
Derecho (デルッチョ)
and Esquerdo (エスケルド)
Erbach (エルバッハ)
Vasco (バスコ)
Blanca (ブランカ)

Urado Kingdom:
King Zsigmond III (ジグモンド3世)
Margit (マルギット)
Gertrud (ゲルトルード)
Argyros:
Niki Al-Bahram (ニキ・アル・バフラーム)
Wan Yixin (ニキ・アル・バフラーム)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN2M1gcN_k8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eCIJ3bWzis

Synopsis: Tughril Mahmut is a young pasha serving on the Divan of the Türkiye Stratocracy. The clouds of war are gathering over his country due to the threat of an aggressive Empire. With the Divan split between warmongers and the pacifists, Mahmut begins his quest to keep the peace at any cost. As he finds himself deeper and deeper in the politics of the ancient world, new enemies and allies surface. Who will prevail? What will Mahmut do if war proves to be inevitable?

Norren said:
Hmm... My initial thoughts:

Shoukoku no Altair - YES! It won't be as pretty as the manga, but YES! (Seriously. One of the most beautifully drawn manga I've ever seen.)
just saw ep.1! feels like Arslan Senki in many ways, art inspired from novels?;)

Just finished first season last night... rather well done, though it seems a little rushed as our MC makes his way around to the other areas and learns his lessons in statecraft. I wonder if the source material, manga?, was the same or was it more expanded? It seems like it should have been more filled out... but instead they keep the pace moving by just pushing the scene to the next one... other than this, I like it... makes we remember the Legend of the Galactic Hereos in the sense of the characters storyline... and it does make sense as he is young and naive in the sense of statecraft/realpolitic etc... which includes all the idiots/psychos/pedophiles/crooks and other deviants employed by the 'leaders' of the state or that actually run it... thus our 'history' as we know it. It covers most of this rather well, simple and straightforward.... well paced... nothing special, but it does covers the realistic basics of the 'evil empire' vs the less evil or more peaceful states that, if they don't work together, suffer alone, as the empire will pick them off, one after the next, usually starting with the weakest ones first.... classic predator/prey relationship in nature... animal kingdom that includes humans on this planet... well shown in Legend... this is on a smaller scale so far, set in the past just far enough that tech isn't much of an issue... until the last ep or two when it shows up as a new thing on the scene.... which definitely did change things, but the core issues remained... as the Brits called it, "The Great Game"... which we inherited and continue to practice today. It's all in there is simplified form... with the impetus of our MC being successful instead of tragic as the MC in Legends was... you could see it throughout... sort of opposites in that regard.... this kid is learning early in life, and a part of the court in power, not an outsider like the MC in Legends who was thrust on the scene as if by accident... destiny seems to be the at work in both, with the issue of empire at the core as well. Pretty good so far, if 'rushed'... makes me wonder if the manga was like this, or lack of budget for more than 2 cours?

Altair: a Record of Battles cour 2, new arc and merchant girl joins its main cast

gdpetti said:
Just finished first season last night... rather well done, though it seems a little rushed as our MC makes his way around to the other areas and learns his lessons in statecraft.
eps'14-15 pick up now that TurkeyTorqye civil war is over, MC is Pasha again :)

The anime isn't rushed per se as it is bad at capturing the source's sense of flow. Part of that is they're just not as good at art as the Mangaka. Lots of these exposition scenes are the framing to beautiful full page spreads in the manga.

That said, from here stuff the pace is about to quicken, judging from the new OP. They're going to get really close to the manga scanlations by season's end.

Norren said:
Part of that is they're just not as good at art as the Mangaka. Lots of these exposition scenes are the framing to beautiful full page spreads in the manga.
yep especially now that the great war began needs a better studio, be J.C.Staff (KujiSuna) or at least Wit (MahoYome)... ep.17 wrong subs like Fiore instead of Florence, previously D'0ria as tanuki isn't sly dog (monkey in Sakura quest!)<_<

Isn't that a better translation for American audiences? if not western audiences or english speaking audiences? I thought the place names were changed on purpose... to allude to the eastern Med place names, to allude to their history etc without being tied down to specifics.... which makes it easier to let any differences slide, which I thought was smart. Wasn't this done on purpose in the manga as well?

I just finished ep 18.... so much better to watch a few eps in a row than one a week... I really think the anime industry (like music industry, film etc) has to change to adapt to the change in this market.... especially given these are already late night or weekend morning, or not considered for theatrical release, so why keep this weekly half hour format? I know it's hard to change one's way of doing things you've done all your life, but the market has already changed... better to lead than follow, but at minimum, keep up with the times are be left behind.

THat said, I still like this project. As many have said about other animes, since I didn't see the original source material, it's new to me and they are presenting the empire vs free republics dynamic rather well.... isn't much different today.... all the fake news, the fake "Russia did it" BS to hide the corruption, idiocy, failure etc.... the push of our American empire (and 'friends') into WW3 against the 'Asian contagion'... of Russia, China. It has been said that all Trumpy can do is prevent it going nuclear.

I just finished the entire (well, the movie versions) of Ghost in the SHell again... I like that one... and there were changes in each version, but they still had another, if not 2 more, WW's... a third and fourth that didn't go nuclear.... the push for transhumanism during and after the wars.... all of it is rather topical these days as we match into the next war... empires always end this way. THis anime is presenting this basic storyline rather well.... reminds me of 'Galactic Heroes' in that regard....though placing events in the past instead of the future makes it more realistic. Guess now I'll have to wait till the end of the season... I looked at the wikipedia entry... is ep 18 about chapter 48 in the manga? And the manga is ongoing.... so this won't end this season I take it?

gdpetti said:
Isn't that a better translation for American audiences? if not western audiences or english speaking audiences? I thought the place names were changed on purpose... to allude to the eastern Med place names, to allude to their history etc without being tied down to specifics.... which makes it easier to let any differences slide, which I thought was smart. Wasn't this done on purpose in the manga as well?

I just finished ep 18....
i'm aware but i only mean what's renamed yet again by subs, still its countries are more believable than in Kino no tabi... so #19 as that nation Chielo (fitting word?) joins the anti·imperial alliance, we'll see if this series has a final feliz :p

chielo is 'sky' isn't it in spanish? people of the sky? I find it easier to let all the names just float on by as the intention is what counts... like in nature, the little guys have to group up/network/link up to fight/take on/deal with the big guys... so far, this series is classic history, nicely done I think... how they don't make the empire idiots... that advice given to the general not to send in more troops/divisions.... well done. The only thing I think that should be included is a guerilla op against the capital of the empire itself which is probably rather exposed.... this fits in with the Roman vs Carthage wars... the last one... the Romans were getting beat, but abandoned their capital and took the fight to the capital of Carthage and laid waste to it.... or so history says. A guerilla campaign against the capital of the empire would be perfect just now, short of supplies etc.. not that the others know this yet though... haven't read the manga, so maybe that's coming?

gdpetti said:
chielo is 'sky' isn't it in spanish? people of the sky? I find it easier to let all the names just float on by as the intention is what counts... like in nature, the little guys have to group up/network/link up to fight/take on/deal with the big guys... so far, this series is classic history, nicely done I think... how they don't make the empire idiots... that advice given to the general not to send in more troops/divisions.... well done.
Cielo is 'heaven' too ;/ that's why I thought if it really fits, because their hellish trap (fondo or bottom) wasn't enough... A final triste in ep.20 with Pino's army taking Halil's, can its MC win without him? the empire Aren't idiots after all -_-

No, most empires aren't idiots, which is why they are so successful... they will do anything, say anything to get what they want, which is whatever you have... be it your land, house, job, money, freedom, beliefs etc. Political Ponerology in action... the 'chosen ones' of Satan utilize psychopaths, sociopaths that surround them and all the usual crooks and criminals as tools to get what they want... ALL.... the question in the end is how long they can last before they either get defeated by a bigger empire or atrophy from within as the greed, corruption, stupidity take over... that's when the idiocy shows up, such as now here in the States. The question in the beginning is whether their opponents can band together and fight the imperial minded off... same lesson throughout history... one empire/civilization after the next... usually Mother Nature sweeps in and cleans house... .said to occur in the next decade... only this time it's a complete sweep, not just the usual cometary/volcanic/EQ variety... anyway, haven't seen recent ep yet, but this show is sticking to the historical pattern rather well so far.

gdpetti said:
No, most empires aren't idiots, which is why they are so successful... they will do anything, say anything to get what they want, which is whatever you have... be it your land, house, job, money, freedom, beliefs etc. Political Ponerology in action... the 'chosen ones' of Satan utilize psychopaths, sociopaths that surround them and all the usual crooks and criminals as tools to get what they want... ALL.... the question in the end is how long they can last before they either get defeated by a bigger empire
well as reality no empire lasts forever and that one isn't exception, outsmarted by our MC's alliance tactics in ep.21... Now trapped after losing livestock other issues Are left, like Cielo's captive leader or the kid's new weapon scrolls!:huh:

Saw that last ep.... <_< Guess the writer isn't too informed on basics of warfare... they would have had scouts all over the place, so coming upon the enemy wouldn't have been a surprise.... they'd know that river etc.... so they would've known they were coming with troops, the seige equipment etc. as the scouts would've been watching them and reporting them... and the same for the empire.... scout parties would've been in confrontation with each other if anything.... and that battle sequence was rather ignorant... so I have to write off this episode as filler. Hopefully, the next is back up to the basics again.... I had to fast forward through this ep... that's how ridiculous the setup to the battle and the battle were.... :rolleyes:

gdpetti said:
Saw that last ep.... <_< Guess the writer isn't too informed on basics of warfare... they would have had scouts all over the place, so coming upon the enemy wouldn't have been a surprise.... they'd know that river etc.... so they would've known they were coming with troops, the seige equipment etc. as the scouts would've been watching them and reporting them... and the same for the empire.... scout parties would've been in confrontation with each other if anything.... and that battle sequence was rather ignorant... so I have to write off this episode as filler. Hopefully, the next is back up to the basics again.... I had to fast forward through this ep... that's how ridiculous the setup to the battle and the battle were....
as i posted above a studio like Wit or Telecom would animate better, unless its manga is at fault #22 wasn't So bad... Despite numbers MC's allies won by left And right literally, Izquierdao y Derecho yet the empire didnt give up :rolleyes:

Just watched last couple of eps up thru 22... they didn't make that same mistake again.... seems like the creator of this story, just wanted an easy out for the old 'pasha' and an easy in for the new young pasha, our MC.... as they are showing his knowledge of the area and tactics... of course, the empire's use of seige machines in field is now a known factor.. via the waterways... so it was to be expected. And at the end of ep 22, the empire's commander, the bald guy with the surgery scars like Frankenstein does utter the basics of empire... like Rome or any real empire based in force on the field, they should be able to defeat a larger enemy force, that's what really sends fear into their opponent. If they can't defeat our MC's forces here, it makes them look weak and that news will spread.... Yes, they can retreat, but that too is weakness.... This really depends on how long the mangaka wants this story to last... as it's an ongoing one so far...I see this is scheduled for 24 eps... so only 2 more. I'm guessing that this is aligning to one of the Mediterranean empires... the sea aspect is more Greek to ancient Phoenian than anything to the East... and some of these contests went on for a very long time... like Rome and Carthage... or the whole Persian contest with Greece, then Macedonia/Sparta etc... this story seems a composite of those various lineages... a process that could take a century or more to finish off one side or the other.
The fact that the empire's homebase has problems feeding itself indicates it is already in a rather weakened state of decline... so they push out to conquer what they haven't already stolen... usually the lack of food is a limiting factor.... can't think of a similar example... except for the tribal house based empires... dependent upon expansion like all empires... our American Empire no exception... but food isn't a problem here... but the lack of further expansion sure is... as debt then has to be paid off, reality dealt with, and that isn't allowed, as empires aren't known for paying their bills except through conquering other richer countries.. seems this story is a composite of many situations... which is why there isn't a lot of background info... most likely... haven't read the manga though.

2 more eps... should take them to a stalemate situation it seems. I would think a basic guerilla force could attack the empire's homebase rather well, seeing how they have food problems already... I am glad that Old Pasha ep wasn't repeated... it seemed a copout by the storyteller... when a better way wouldn't be hard to have setup... like his deadline was past due so he just jigged this up.... the story has definitely gotten better and previous eps background is now paying off... the Young Pasha, our MC, seems to be setup like an Alexander the Great... only our MC wasn't the king's son.... again, a composite collection of empire's it seems, which is good, this way, it keeps you guessing. The empire's making way too many enemies... same problem the Aztecs had when the Conquistadors arrived and found their new empire ready to be broken up by uniting the beaten tribes... classic.

Good series... but it seems any other cours will have to wait for the mangka to get ahead more than he/she is.

gdpetti said:
And at the end of ep 22, the empire's commander, the bald guy with the surgery scars like Frankenstein does utter the basics of empire... like Rome or any real empire based in force on the field, they should be able to defeat a larger enemy force, that's what really sends fear into their opponent. If they can't defeat our MC's forces here, it makes them look weak and that news will spread.... Yes, they can retreat, but that too is weakness.... This really depends on how long the mangaka wants this story to last... as it's an ongoing one so far...I see this is scheduled for 24 eps... so only 2 more.
is that just me or Ms. hot tactician died right after franky, who got decapitated by the MC at last in ep.23? I guess so... yet director Carbajal didn't deserve his final triste, if only they waited a bit longer for imperials to leave Cielo :mellow:

Bad tactics... should have concentrated forces against the outside opponent, and later attack the castle/city... and the other forces at 'Chielo? should have been called earlier for backup if not a side attack if they got there in time.... this current storyline makes it look like the empire's been coasting along against easy opponents so far... which is pushing our young MC pasha to look like the young Alexander the Great... or future Saladin..... since there's only one ep left for this anime, they'll probably reset the pieces to include our spy master back the MC's kingdom... as well as their opponent mastermind in the empire's capital... not sure that's a good way to end the anime though.

Yes, that was her head going by the way of the sword, or so we were led to believe... usually, the facts on the ground dictate a retreat/regroup to those other units back at Cheilo? which should have been called up as reserves earlier when word of the enemy count, situation was known... I'm not into military history, but some of this is basic for history as we are taught it... and this mangaka, if this is their storyline, doesn't seem to be into military history/tactics too much either... some of the basics just aren't being done here. :rolleyes: but it's still a good storyline to follow.... They seem to have focused on our MC and not the fight back home... where that spy m aster pasha would be hard at work, and with the empire having food problems that look to become more severe now, I would've thought a merc unit or gorilla unit would've been sent to disrupt their supplies, etc....maybe in a future continuation? The basics are good though... even the killing of that city's leader by some of his own people.... that could've/should've been covered more more scences IMO... to flush out the issues, backup the tension issues of a city under seize etc... but they did ok... could've been better...

Good anime. THis storyline could go on quite some time if the writer wants to flush out the issues, and flesh out the other characters in our drama more.

gdpetti said:
since there's only one ep left for this anime, they'll probably reset the pieces to include our spy master back the MC's kingdom... as well as their opponent mastermind in the empire's capital... not sure that's a good way to end the anime though.
i think this season finale was ok enough as S2 cliffhanger, Cielo (finally subbed right) is now part of a new 'good' empire... led by Zaganos to raid the old 'bad one', meanwhile wanna see something alike? i recommend you Arslan senki :d

Checked out a few eps of Arslan.. that's too kiddie for me..... total lack of any military knowledge of basics by the storytelling/mangaka or whoever is unforgiveable... when a simple knowledge is all that's needed... so it's for kids... maybe that kind of misinformation is ok in gaming, but it has no resemblance to reality at all... .way too unrealistic fantasy type for me... at least Altair is mostly ok on that front... but again, the basics of having scouts is one big No-No in these animes... is this what the gaming setups are like? Or they this stupid? Granted, this Altair is mostly ok... but Arslan from the start of ep 1 was too kiddie... no kid of the royal family would be like that, especially one that is neglected by their parents etc.... none of it makes any sense at all... but perhaps it's ok for kids or anyone that doesn't know the basics of life? warfare etc? So, I didn't get past ep 4... couldn't take that kind of stupidity in the characters any longer.... all that's needed is a brief glance at a few history books, it isn't that difficult. I don't understand why they can' setup a more realistic worldview, characters etc... it's like they aren't even trying, like they don't care, maybe they figure the kids in their targeted audience aren't interested enough to learn?

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back