7 replies to this topic

#1 Repede

Repede

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:04 PM

So I got a new laptop last weekend. I finally started DL some anime.

So I used direct DL on Needles 16 and 17, then downloaded the USSR (CCCP XD) and MPC(media player classic).

It plays both episodes, but the sound skips. I would get like 2 minutes of sound, then no sound for like 20 seconds. Rinse and repeat through the whole video.

In both Needles 16 and 17. Did I DL the thing wrong, or is it a problem with the computer, or player?

Running Window vista if that makes a difference, god that sucks so bad.
user posted image

#2 nomae

nomae

-san

• Sempais
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:29 PM

It's strange that the sound works for a while, but then stops working. I'm not sure if this will fix your problems or not, but I always install the AC3Filter audio codecs.

There shouldn't be any problems with MPC running on a vista laptop, and it's a fresh install, so it's not a problem with the player. I honestly can't think of anything that would cause a problem like that. The only ideas I'm left with are: 1. Problem with your audio card/chip, try updating drivers if possible. 2. Who knows what came pre-installed on that computer... check your programs in the control panel to see if other codec packs came preloaded, and if so, consider ditching them. 3. just to troubleshoot, try running it on another player

#3 langes01x

langes01x

-dono

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Besides anime and the occasional manga I like fantasy and sci-fi books, computer games (particularly RPG and RTS) and programming.

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:02 PM

If it is a somewhat underpowered laptop and especially for a netbook (though I don't think they run Vista at the moment) try plugging it in and turning off any powersaving functions that may be on it. That could be a possibility especially since it is a laptop.

If you are trying to play 720p files on a laptop then it could be that the laptop is not powerful enough to play them (single core laptops are unlikely to be able to play it smoothly). Solving this problem might involve installing Divx 7 (freeware) or Coreavc (payware). This can work quite well if it is the speed of your computer that is the problem.

Other than that you could always try running it in VLC which doesn't rely on external codecs to see if it is a codec problem. If you really hate VLC (and you should) there is also a portable version of mplayer that you could try.

http://www.divx.com/...re/windows/divx

http://smplayer.sour....php?tr_lang=en
http://portableapps....player_portable

#4 Repede

Repede

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:40 PM

Thanks guy. I'll try doing those things. I should upgrade to Window 7 sometime this week.

I think the laptop might be somewhat unpowered taking I only payed $400 for it. >..>, but then again I was using a 5 year old Dell Inspiron before, and it worked like a charm. I was dumb and gave it away after backing up everthing.

Damn, I hope I can get this fix. The only reason I use the computer is for anime reading, watching anime and HW for college. It would suck major ass if I couldn't watch anime.

I do know I can listen music fine on Itunes, and watch DVD's just fine on Windows Media Player...
user posted image

#5 luigiroxu

luigiroxu

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Anime(duhhH), soccer aka futball, music, video games.

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:20 AM

i have a netbook i recently bought (asus eeepc 1005ha), it came with XP. I dumped that and loaded windows 7 ultimate onto it through a USB stick. Windows 7 runs faster than XP did on it.

So far is has been able to play any video i played on it. HD videos, mkv's encoded in h264, etc.

specs for it are bare minimum:
cpu: Atom N280, 1.67Ghz
ram: 1 GB
gpu: some integrated graphics card, i forget which >.> which comes up as a score of 2.2 on the windows performance test.
Battery: 6 cell lithium (i get 12 hours battery life per charge at max performance.)

On most laptops you can change the performance to like, low(battery saver), med, high, superhigh. At superhigh performance i am able to view the HD videos, but at high its choppy and sound is out of sync.

Edited by luigiroxu, 28 October 2009 - 12:22 AM.

user posted image
xbox live gamertag: LuiGi Rox U
WoW Characters: Äyumi, Eufonius, ßlaçkstar
Server: Spinebreaker

#6 Repede

Repede

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:09 PM

Well I tried Divx 7, I don't see what it is suppose to do. I mean I get it's a video player, and it has it's converter. Still pretty lame. VLC player lets me play the videos, but it's choopy as fuck, and sometimes. it "lags" the image. Where sounds keeps playing, and yet there the image is stuck. Good 'ol VLC player.

Specs of the laptop:

Processor Athlon 1.6 GHz
Memory 3 GB
Hard Drive 250 GB
Graphics Card Radeon X1200
Optical Drive DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RA

Eh so IDK man, I can take this crap back latest tomorrow and lose $60 bucks for restocking few, which would be uber lame. But if I can't get to play Videos smoothly, or even play them properly at all. Then there is no real point of keeping this thing. This is what happens when you are cheap. I should just bought a good Dell for $600+.

Umm any other suggestion so I don't have to lose money? I'll try reducing the performance stuff and hope for any results
user posted image

#7 langes01x

langes01x

-dono

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Besides anime and the occasional manga I like fantasy and sci-fi books, computer games (particularly RPG and RTS) and programming.

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:29 PM

The idea behind using Divx is that their h.264 decoder is more efficient than the normal ffdshow decoder. If you disable ffdshow from decoding h.264 or tell MPC to load the Divx codec you should theoretically see better performance either as less cpu usage or a similar cpu usage but smoother output.

I only mentioned VLC because it has the codecs inside the program itself and doesn't use the codecs on your pc. It can be helpful to check if the problem is one of the codecs on your computer that is causing the problem. I do not recommend using VLC for anything other than testing for external codec problems and in fact I try to stay away from it as much as possible.

Judging from the specs on your computer I'd say the underpowered processor is the problem. Heck my dual core laptop (which is about 4 years old and only has 1gb of ram) only really lags on 1080p video with subtitles. Otherwise it works perfectly fine. Decoding high definition video is a lot of work so the bottleneck is really the speed at which your processor can crunch numbers.

@luigiroxu: The reason the Superhigh Performance setting helps is that the processor is actually being overclocked to run at a speed faster than normal resulting in the processor being more powerful and thus being able to decode the video.

The idea is that if you need the extra speed you can get it (at the cost of battery life and heat output). There is also the problem that the processor may die faster than normal since it was not "meant" to be run at that speed despite there being an easy way to make it do so. As such you should not leave your netbook set to Superhigh Performance.

Edit: Forgot the link to the Superhigh performance page -> http://www.netbookch...mode-explained/

#8 Repede

Repede

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:17 PM

Umm so what would you recommend?
user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users