Friends (2002)

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

samthebear

-sama
Sempai
Friends
friends.jpg

Mini-drama so there is only 4 episodes all subbed.
Genre: Romance, drama, life

Synopsis:
Left alone on a trip to Hong Kong, Tomoko (Fukada Kyoko) finds herself the victim of a purse-snatching. The police arrest the man she points out, but it turns out to be the wrong person: a young Korean man named Ji Hoon (Won Bin). Despite his anger and humiliation, he takes her out to dinner since she has lost all her money, and in return, she agrees to model for his amateur film. What follows is a magical and romantic two days. Upon returning to their respective countries, Tomoko must return to her nine-to-five job and Ji Hoon must resume studying to join the family business rather than pursuing his dream of becoming a film director. But soon the two begin to email each other and rekindle their relationship despite the distance and obstacles between them. Marking the very first time in television history that a drama has been co-produced between Japan and South Korea, the story shows us that love has no borders. --- taken from Silent Regrets

personally i loved this story because it just crosses all borders possible in love - family, friends, politics. especially politics. most people would know of the political strain between Korea and Japan and this show has beautifully put forward those issues in a tasteful manner both sweet but heart breaking at the same time. The best thing is the happy ending at the end - its probably symbolic for the fact that love can break and pass all boundaries but i believe there might just be a political reference to the two nations(?) please dont quote me on that cuz thats just my thoughts.

Sam recommended Friends to me as a good first K-Drama. So far I’ve watched the first episode and it was quite fun. The acting, like most serial dramas, is a bit cheesy but in a cute way. Various themes are explored including the nature of dreams, self-perception, friendship, love, expectations and cultural perceptions.

Two people with dreams of escaping their unexciting realities chance to meet and, after some quite amusing initial difficulties, the beginnings of a friendship develop. A bag-snatcher brings them together and the production of a movie gives them a common goal. Tomoko and Ji Hoon don’t share a language (other than a very few words of English) so communication is very difficult but somehow their friendship blossoms. After a brief interlude of two days in Hong Kong, they return to their own countries and their respective everyday lives. Dreams seem to be hard to sustain when faced with the harsh realities of their day to day existences but both Tomoko and Ji Hoon find it difficult to give up on their hopes for a better future. When they start exchanging emails, life begins to look somewhat brighter as they both have something to look forward to.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back