got hacked

• Thread starter Guest_Sailor Keiko 2
  • Start date

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
G

Guest_Sailor Keiko 2

OK

about a few months ago, I was attempting to download an anime series one at a time.

the file was avi & when I attempted to view it on divx player
it would play a bit & then stop suddenly and the slider would go back toward the beginning.
I tried to advance the slider by skipping over the scene & it would not play

I got divx++ & when I ran the file - it was corrupted even though the downloading was OK & there was no virus attached.

I tried other anime episodes & got the same result as before.

later to make things worse, my wireless router died
I saw an article from ABC World News under technology that there are 2 viruses floating around in cyberspace that can disable any wireless router & the only way to get rid of it was to reset the router.

I tried it, but it did not work - my router was a brick

To make things worse still
about 2 months ago - I got an svchost.exe error message
it completely shut down my Internet access plus all antivirus/antispyware was completely disabled.

my ISP was AT&T & I was told to contact Microsoft.

as a final result I had to wipe & reload.

I then saw a newpaper article that N. Korea was behind attacking US govt websites
Microsoft noted that it probably was Active X
another newspaper article followup stated that N. Korea used sorta Ping of Death
to overload the requests plus used a some sorta bot or zombie to cause further damage internally without detection.

I know that passwords can all be cracked including wireless routers

I read online that svchost.exe disables most antivirus programs like Norton Symantec & McAfee & Comodo firewall

while I was wiping & reloading - I found a virutal PC folder & saw 3 files opened & one of them had a .exe - all you have to do was double click on it to activate
I almost ended up deleting the actual files like .avi
It was hard to distinguish - was I running in virtual or not.

The big trick was how to completely uninstall Virtual PC
this was similar to attempting to completely uninstall Norton Symantec

Is there an easy to use & user friendly free downloadable program that can scan open ports on my PC - that hackers can get in without notice & able to close those ports?

Which services & registries (remote/share) can I disable on my Win XP Pro PC?
what about those who have Vista & soon to be released Windows 7?

Is there an easy to use & user friendly free downloadable program that can scan while the user is online/Internet & identify & stop incoming intruders/hackers/virus/trojan horse/spyware/bots/zombies/virtual programs & quarantine & safely delete them plus updates plus upgrades?

I purchased Norton Symantec 2001 & 2005 - it worked for about a month & then it was disabled by a hacker.

unsure.gif
blink.gif
huh.gif
ohmy.gif
mad.gif
sad.gif

QUOTE (Guest_Sailor Keiko 2 @ Jul 27 2009, 10:57 AM)
Is there an easy to use & user friendly free downloadable program that can scan open ports on my PC - that hackers can get in without notice & able to close those ports?

That's basically what any antivirus software/spyware does. For each port open, an svchost runs. If you look at what each port svchost monitors, you can just end it's task in task manager. But that's largely unwise unless you know what ports you assigned what to what.

And symantec isn't that bad of a antivirus program, it's saved me a few times. AVG, however, killed me a million times. windows defender is either useless or never came into action thanks to symantec.

Just be aware of what you download, and only on trusted sites...

Look into the following:
Malwarbtyes Anti Malware
Super Antispyware
process explorer
WOT
Avira
Hijackthis
...............OTHERS

OK

of those free downloads:

Malwarbtyes Anti Malware
Super Antispyware
process explorer
WOT
Avira
Hijackthis
Norton Symantec

which ones can block all DoD - denial attack and can still operate without being disabled?

I tried

Spybot S&D - OK, but lately did not catch/alert anything

TrendMicro online scanner - a bit scary when performing online, exposure & sometimes it hangs

AVG - hard to install when using other AV

Spyware Doctor - ??

Nothing block everything there are things some may catch and other wont and viversa.

Also spybot is obsolete kinda now...

avg suck also especially on a heavly infected comp it will not even install.

I wouldnt go with spywware doctor, i read somewhere that itinstalls spyware on your comp and then takes it out making it looking like this epic program that it just isnt.

Best advice is listen to kansa on this one, hes helped me out numerous times over the past 2 years and has gave me hints and tips to keep my comp in top shape. This has just turned into a kansatusha appreciation thread.
laugh.gif

OK

Kansa or anyone

lately I got something very strange...

for instance, when I tried to bootup my PC, the background would be up with no icons & hangs. I always had to reboot & the 2nd time - everything is normal.

when I got svchost.exe error & when my PC was plugged in - my power supply fan would go on & off repeatedly by itself & when I power on my Pc - everything was normal

now it gets more strange, I when I shut down normally _ I would first hear sorta click like a monitor to be shut down, but the monitor is still on powering down normally & then complete shut down normally.

just yesterday night, after moving folders & files around, suddenly I hear the main HDD fan going by itself & I was not doing any disk defrag nor downloading or any other PC activity.

Its like someone is carrying a remote & taking control of the PC hardware like a fan.
Is that possible?
No there are no microwave oven, no florescent lights, no TV & no cell phone nearby my PC - next door neighbor?

QUOTE (sailor keiko 2 @ Jul 30 2009, 12:08 PM) Is that possible?
Yes - a lot of stuff is possible, but if you think about the amount of work required, why would anyone want to put in that kind of effort just to control your fan?

Your PC fans may be turning on and off due to different system load conditions (CPU computing = more heat than no CPU computing). For example, anti-viruses may perform system wide scans on a regular basis while the system is idle therefore causing your PC fans to spin up even though you're not actively using it. Uninstall as much stuff as you can and, not only will you find your computer running faster, you'll find your PC fans spinning up less often.

If you think your computer has been compromised by a hacker and you can't figure out how, you should probably reformat your system do your best to use &install only the most up-to-date software by trusted sources. The only files you should retain from your old system are images, music and videos - any kind of program installers or executables are not safe to keep. You're probably okay keeping office documents that you or somebody you trust authored. My operating rule of thumb is that the more software you download and install, the more problems you will have.

As a general disclaimer, I do not use any antiviruses or anti-spyware/malware/adware software on my day-to-day computers. I also do not use Internet Explorer, Outlook or Outlook Express. I do have corporate software that can scan my entire network and a hardware firewall to limit my exposure.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back