Computer Problem

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Primula

-プリムラ こいびと
Retired
Ok I need some assistant all I tried have not work so im asking if anyone would know of the problem.

Ok this morning there was a thunder storm and I didnt really pay too much about it. I always keep my computer on and I was on it at the time. There was like a sharp lighting nearby that made some car alarm and the electricity turn off for a one sec. After that sec i notice some thing not working right like my speakers i was hearing some noise from them but when i hook that up to my psp the noise wasnt there so my speakers are ok still i think... i tested my scanner for problem and there wasnt not any there either but as soon as I restarted my computer to check for other things my computer no longer boot correctly anymore. It boot up the Bio screen ok but it do not go any furture than that like when it try to boot up the os from the hd it dont even go there. It only a continuious loop to the bio screen. I try seen if my sound card was causing some problem since i heard the speaker problem I took that out and try stating up the computer and yet still more continueous loop. I also try to boot from cd with the os disc and it doesnt boot from the cd and do the bios loop. So I need some assistant to locate the problem.

...Im not sure if I got everything back up.

I check back in a hour or so but any help or suggestion is needed

Thx

Hmmm. sounds like your HDD might be damaged, in some cases your HDD can crash and not work at all. I'm not 100% on this but thats all I can think of from your description. sorry If not much help
sad.gif
If I can think of something else I will post back.

The space between the heads of a hdd, the reader, and the platter, where the data is stored, is smaller than a particle of smoke exhauled when smoking cigarettes. Sometimes, when sudden power fluctuations occur, the head can touch the platter. When this occurs, generally a scratch will be etched into the hard drive platter, making the sectors it touched no longer usable. What you need to do is do a drive scan on the hard drive to see if there are any damage sectors. If there are, it will flag them and stop using them. The sound coming from your speakers is a totally different issue. IMO, sounds like that lightning strike nailed your computer. You may want to send it to a shop for testing to see what is damaged before something inside the box catches fire or blows up.

sounds like your motherboard is fried,

your saying it doesn't go past the BIOS? as in it freezes? or it loops? what exactly is it showing. detecting hd's, etc... checking ram...

i think its because of the power supply. i have had a similar problem when i have a problem with my power supply; i.e somewhat interference/noise with the speaker. since the power supply is damaged, the voltage to run the pc is not enough and it sometimes automatically restart the pc (even while using / already boot to os). this was my personal experience, but i dunno if yours the same.

Startup problems are potentially the worst. I remember having a similar problem with my old laptop. The technical highlighted 2 possible hardware problems:

A: Corrupted hard drive - It is possible using some software and other stuff to retrieve your data (that's what they did).
Try using your OS disk and choose the Windows Recovery Console option and then use Chkdsk. If Chkdsk says something like cannot access hard disk it means your hard drive has probably had it.
B: Damage to the motherboard - I remember them saying there were a number of gates in the motherboard. If your lucky it might be possible to replace one of these gates. However if an embedded chip, or north/southgate is damaged you need a new motherboard.

Unfortunately for me I needed a new motherboard. I would recommend sending your computer to a technician. Messing around with your bios/registry is not very wise move unless you know what you are doing!

In the meantime try using a recovery option on your cd. If your OS disk is vista then choose the recover computer option.

A similar problem posted on another site:
not booting (not even Vista Install DVD)

you said the electricity turned off for a second
did the computer turn off too ?

and after that second, the computer turned back on ?
most likely this happened when the electricity came back, the shock was too great and something went bye bye

another question is: where does the machine restarts, at what point in the process of booting ?

the first thing that comes to mind is the power supply (PS), try replacing it (get a friend to borrow his/hers) and see if it works, if the computer works it's the PS
you can test all of your components on another machine if they are still working
if it's the motherboard, you're pretty much screwed, unless it's the capacitors (they can be replaced, pretty much the only things that can be in a motherboard), but if they were, the machine wouldn't start

PS: first time I heard of the north and south bridge being referred as gates
tongue.gif

hardware gates perform more simple task such as AND/OR/XOR gates that make the AND/OR/XOR logical operations on a hardware level with the most common gates being NAND and NOR
but this is getting off-topic
tongue.gif

Okim on a different comp again and in a hurry to loging

Everything on my comp turn off but it came back to it original state with problems I was still on the comp and could do anything until i had turn it off.

Oh yea right now Im hook my hd to another computer and i can access it to the most part. It restart right after loading the bios which mean I can access the bio and change any configuration.

I also siad i try using the os disk but it still loop after the bio loading.

Well i try changing my ps as soon as i get home need to go to work now

any furter suggestion plz tell me ^^ ok off to work.

Ok here a couple thing I confirm that should not be the problem

I hook up my old old ps 300w to my comp and still there the thing loading the bios then after that screen it reboot(loop)

I hook up my hd to another computer and I can access fine even I try hooking up a blankhd to the comp still the loop.

PS should be still good
HD is good

hummm wonder what it could be =/

QUOTE (ShadowPony @ May 04 2008, 04:24 AM) the first thing that comes to mind is the power supply (PS), try replacing it (get a friend to borrow his/hers) and see if it works, if the computer works it's the PS

this is never a good thing to do. Powersupplies offer different watts depending on the machine. If you put a power supply that has too many watts or too few watts, you risk damaging your machine. So unless you know the wattage your power supply produces and the wattage your friend's power supply produces, don't do this.

QUOTE (ShadowPony @ May 04 2008, 04:24 AM)PS: first time I heard of the north and south bridge being referred as gates
tongue.gif

hardware gates perform more simple task such as AND/OR/XOR gates that make the AND/OR/XOR logical operations on a hardware level with the most common gates being NAND and NOR
but this is getting off-topic
tongue.gif

North bridge is where your RAM, CPU and hard drive controllers reside. South Bridge is IDE/PCI/AGP slots and I/O ports for external devices. The gates you are speaking of are the controllers on the bridges, not the bridges themselves. Most machines have 2 primary power cuplings that come from the power supply to plug into the motherboard. One powers the north bridge, the other the south bridge.

Well I also just took it to the Circuit City firedog and they gave me some info also they say it not the ram either since you need ram to boot to the bio i think o_o power supply is still ok since power is still going to the machine. I told them my hd is ok since I can access it through another computer plus I try instaling the os again on that hd and a new hd and it doesnt boot from cd. So it came donw to the motherboard. One of them said it could be the northbridge got fried from the thunderstorm. One of them also try using a cd that check the symtom but it didnt boot to cd.

Btw it does detect the hd cd and other drive or ram since i see them in the bios configurations.

So any other info is appreciated as I contact Newegg to see if they can replace the motherboard.(without saying it was because of the thunderstorm)

Oh yea if it is the motherboard and they replace it with the same model would I have to reformat so it can recognize that motherboard or since it the same motherboard it will work normally.

My other external toys still work right i tested the speakers on my laptop and it work right with no noise all 3 (green,yellow,black) im glad for that one.

sooo...

Scanner/printer = clear
hd = clear
ram = clear
ps = clear
speaker- clear
video card = clear (if video card was fried i wouldnt even see thebio.)
mb = unknown
cable modem = clear got all like on
router = clear kinda the 4 main light is on but the first port to connect to other comp for cable is dead or something so now it leadingout the second port.
man i need one of those surge protector that keep energy after the short circuit.

QUOTE (Primula Lover @ May 04 2008, 06:00 PM)Oh yea if it is the motherboard and they replace it with the same model would I have to reformat so it can recognize that motherboard or since it the same motherboard it will work normally.if exactly the same model it wont need to reinstall those drivers / os, since it using the same audio/video/ any other drivers.

since everything seems fine, maybe the core processor got damaged. as i know, sometimes if the processor temperature getting higher than it should be, i can restart on its own. and if whenever pc freeze makes more possible. before confirm the MB, another thing i can suggest; check the core temperature in bios...

P/s:
QUOTE (Primula Lover @ May 04 2008, 06:00 PM)...as I contact Newegg to see if they can replace the motherboard.(without saying it was because of the thunderstorm)...XDDD

Oh yea to add to that list

Processor = clear

since should the computer be running without a processor?? lol plus the temp i check in the bios is in the green(good temp 30-40C) that include the case temp and the cpu temp

still waiting for newegg reply... or i will end up buying it again. that if it the mb if it not the mb i be returning it lol...

QUOTE (synchk @ May 05 2008, 09:34 AM) if exactly the same model it wont need to reinstall those drivers / os, since it using the same audio/video/ any other drivers.

since everything seems fine, maybe the core processor got damaged. as i know, sometimes if the processor temperature getting higher than it should be, i can restart on its own. and if whenever pc freeze makes more possible. before confirm the MB, another thing i can suggest; check the core temperature in bios...

P/s:XDDD
doesn't need to be the same model, only the northbridge and southbridge needs to be the same, cause XP needs 3 hardware changes for it to need a reinstall (speaking only about XP, but shouldn't be that different for Vista)
and if it only has extra stuff on the new mobo then his previous, XP/Vista should handle it

if the processor got damaged the comp wouldn't even start and will give those weird beeps
same with the memory and videocard, it won't even boot into bios
it will however boot without any hdd/cd

for a processor to fry due to overheating the temp should be 70-80 degrees, and even so, it has protection against overheating

I am now pretty sure something burned in the mobo

oh, yeah, don't dismiss the videocard just because you can see the bios
it doesn't require much of the video processor and memory to see the bios

the opengl might be damaged; you really should test it on another PC (preferably one that has the drivers for your videocard's chipset installed: if you have ati, put it in a ati enabled machine if it's nvidia, go to a friend that has nvidia) and then test it in a game or smth, this should clear the videocard

I know some videocards would display the bios, but when you's boot into the OS it would crash....

I guess i try testing that video card on my old tower i put on my sis computer lol =/ if the video card clear then last one it is it the mobo and both my current and old tower have pcie so im able to test it. plus the video card have to port to connect through so i doubt it the video card since i tested the other port.

sigh newegg had reply to my email and sadly the person said it pass the 30 days replacement so they cant replace it and told me I would have to contact the manufacturer for a replacement. So my question is now how hard or easy it is to contact the manufacturer and ask for a replacement because Im not really a phone person =/. If it really differcult then i just buy the same mb again and test it out if it the mb.

Oh, did you try reformating? That always helps.

Didnt i say i cant boot from disk lol? so formating is not even an option

Tell me more about your problem, from the point where you turn on the computer onwards.

It in my previous posts but it basicly *power on**boot bios screen**try to continue booting the rest* ---------restart----------do the same thing so it basicly looping or restarting after the bios screen.

So you can't boot from the CD/DVD driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back