Issue with main page listings

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ausdoerrt

-sama
Retired
I've noticed something recently - every once in a while the main page would list a new episode ahead of release time just because there's a "community" site somewhere that produces a hit on the search.

Recent example: http://anime.fansub.tv/e14425/Guilty-Crown-5/

Yeah, it seems I have to modify the criteria for determining when a new episode is considered available. At the moment, it's pretty aggressive at trying to keep up to date with what might be new.

Yeah I think it might be going after some site that hosts a bunch of raws for said series. Also, it seems some of the drop sugestions on the left side tend not to be working for some reason as well.

I mean it opens up but it look sliek the ad and whatever is in th eplaceholder kind of overlaps it for the genres and new shows listings.

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Nov 17 2011, 12:35 AM) Also, it seems some of the drop sugestions on the left side tend not to be working for some reason as well.

I mean it opens up but it look sliek the ad and whatever is in th eplaceholder kind of overlaps it for the genres and new shows listings.
Screenshot please. This probably also belongs in a separate thread unless you believe its related to the same issue that Ausdoerrt was reporting.

Well since it's about the front page I thought the issue might properly apply to what I've noticed.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 188
QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Nov 17 2011, 07:49 PM) Well since it's about the front page I thought the issue might properly apply to what I've noticed.
Ah, ok. A bug with IE9... I'm kind of surprised it wasn't spotted earlier. I wonder what happened..

Actually it's for pretty much IE8 as well you know since I tend to come here on my home PC which runs on XP of course.

QUOTE Yeah, it seems I have to modify the criteria for determining when a new episode is considered available. At the moment, it's pretty aggressive at trying to keep up to date with what might be new.

That's actually good, but might be nice to "blacklist" the sites that give a false alarm from triggering the front-page message, if that's doable. I mean, if you just rely on the official fansub resources (group pages, torrent hosts like tosho and nyaa) and official streaming sites, it should about cover it. No need to link to some shady sites.

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Nov 17 2011, 09:07 PM)
That's actually good, but might be nice to "blacklist" the sites that give a false alarm from triggering the front-page message, if that's doable. I mean, if you just rely on the official fansub resources (group pages, torrent hosts like tosho and nyaa) and official streaming sites, it should about cover it. No need to link to some shady sites.
I'll try something like that and see if it improves the results.

QUOTE (daft27 @ Nov 19 2011, 02:03 PM) I'll try something like that and see if it improves the results.
From my understanding, the current community pulse doesn't only link to downloads but also blogs. For example, I was randomly browsing Mirai Nikki's pulse and found a link leading me to Absolute Territory blog.

My questions are:
-Do we want these links directed strictly at downloads or do we want to keep that wide variety?
-Regardless of download only or not, do we want to limit our scope as Ausdoerrt suggested?
-Do we want to still link to such download sites or any sites even after licensed (e.g. Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon) or available for legal streams?

From a basic coding stand point it doesn't sound terribly difficult to regulate such sites (implement a few if/else conditionals here and there but more busy/tedious work than anything else...but what do I know), and while I may be jumping to conclusions here, I think it would definitely generate better results since with simply Tokyo Tosho, Nyaatorrents, and animetake alone, one can find a majority of titles for both torrent and direct download. Furthermore, it decreases the risk of linking to more untrustworthy or ad spamming sites.

Obviously I'm not saying that all "unknown" sites are untrustworthy, but I'm sure most people in the community (both here at FTV and outside) utilize a specific set of sites and within that set, one can almost always find a common overlap with someone else and these are the sites I think we should likely be pulsing.

-Do we want these links directed strictly at downloads or do we want to keep that wide variety?

IMO, there's no issue with the "community pulse" as such, but it shouldn't determine when a new episode goes up on the front page.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back