beta: new series page design

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

daft27

-nya
Retired
Limited beta.

All accounts created before 2007 are now previewing the new anime series page. If there are no reported problems (or critical functionality missing) with it, then the new design for that section will go live!

comments and suggestions welcomed

It looks great Daft. I dont see anything vital missing. Is the front page getting a remodelling too?

Well after checking out the series page to see it for myself, I have to say I like it. So far so good, but the only issue I have is one of the ad banners cutting into the one pic when you pick an episode to d/l. I thought I should let you know about that one.

QUOTE (daft27 @ Aug 18 2010, 10:14 PM) All accounts created before 2007
Wow! That makes a few of us feel old now doesn't it
tongue.gif

As for the new layout the random image that appears as the banner for each anime is an interesting touch. Maybe for the screenshots there should be more than just one image each time? Otherwise, it definitely looks a lot cleaner than the original layout, especially considering all the "junk" that was on the side originally.

A bit off-topic, but I think the recommendations stuff needs to be fixed somehow since some recommendations for the series are a bit random at times. Same goes for descriptions, but I guess those are another set of projects at the moment.

QUOTE Well after checking out the series page to see it for myself, I have to say I like it. So far so good, but the only issue I have is one of the ad banners cutting into the one pic when you pick an episode to d/l. I thought I should let you know about that one.
I'm not sure if clicking "hide advertisements" solves this problem or if adblockplus on firefox is preventing this. Screen shot please?

edit: wait, Kid-Wolf's account was created during 2007, I guess daft meant before 2008 maybe?

i was like errr IT NOT THE SAME ANYMORE.... WHERE THE DANG STAFF OPTION TO fix an episode cause of a report of a troll episode... i found it later and put it on sleep for next ep sub release

Good job Daft, it looks pretty good
biggrin.gif
. Like Warita already said I also don't see anything out of place or vital missing on the first look.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Aug 19 2010, 02:27 AM) edit: wait, Kid-Wolf's account was created during 2007, I guess daft meant before 2008 maybe?
Oh, all team members are set to preview the series page as well.

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Aug 19 2010, 02:16 AM)Well after checking out the series page to see it for myself, I have to say I like it. So far so good, but the only issue I have is one of the ad banners cutting into the one pic when you pick an episode to d/l. I thought I should let you know about that one.

Can you send a screenshot?

Oh, all team members are set to preview the series page as well.

Dude I can see it. Maybe all Sempais are set to preview it?

Ok I this is what I'm talking about. I can't post up a screenshot, but hopefuly I can attach it instead.

*edit*

Ok this is what I'm talking about on the right side of the shot. I mean that ad is kind of cutting into the pic if you ask me.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 213
QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Aug 19 2010, 09:23 AM) Ok this is what I'm talking about on the right side of the shot. I mean that ad is kind of cutting into the pic if you ask me.
yup definitely not seeing that on my browsers. Tried Firefox and Chrome already. I have no intention of trying Internet Explorer though.

Regardless, I do agree that it is a tad ugly if it happens to other users. Oh and the Di Gi Charat moe trend continues~

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Aug 19 2010, 12:23 PM) Ok this is what I'm talking about on the right side of the shot. I mean that ad is kind of cutting into the pic if you ask me.
what browser / platform?

I prefer using IE7 since I tried 8 and it just seems like it has too many things for me that I probably one use on my laptop anyways.

Gave most of my comments on msn but I may have found a slight bug, the random image on the top of the series page is sometimes the full size image, i just got a k-on 1280x720 image, but its not scaled so most of the image is not visable, and its just like the bottom corner is visable, going to eat bw/slow the page load.

I noticed my avatar appears beside an empty post on the top of the discussion part, see pic:

Not sure if thats intended or not, it kinda looks like a temptation to make a comment or post as the "add reply" button is there, so it looks kinda cool, but I think it would look more awesome if you used javascript to made a hidden div with the quick reply form, so they click it and the form drops out to write a post, without having to leave the page. I use that on my site for youtube and category edit forms, feel free to copy the script if useful. Or even just including the quick edit form already visable in the gap where a post would be.

A small suggestion for the user menu on the right, maybe add a link to the "sheduler editor" / koushin-editor.php

The Privacy and terms of use links are right on the buttom line, maybe adding a <br> to separate them from the browser's status bar.

Still think it looks awesome tho.

About that avatar Maiku-san, I think that's to show that you are currently logged onto the site at time time, so it is able to show off your avatar no problem it would seem. So it's not just you there since I saw it too. I just thought it was something to show that you were online browsing the anime series.

Besides seeing things on this site changing might actually help bring in new members onto this site... at least I hope it should.

sleep.gif
" i dont really like it but if you could add the shortcuts you had in the old version the one's that transfer you to animesuki then its ok with me.

P.s. if you want to make the site more populer then you need to do some thing with the licensed anime like maybe post the latest episode that came out with some pic but without the download links and just add the names of the teams that sub these anime.
i dont know how much is possible from what i just said but i would like to see that on the site.

Yes that's the only setback so far. Also, having a link setup for siad sub groups that get hosted onto this site might also be a good idea. I mean some most times they do a 480p and a 720p version and host it on thier very site. Not only that but it helps reduce the troll subs disgusing themselves as a legitamate sub group.

The idea of linking to fansub homepages/ircs might indeed work. But by doing that, you're effectively advertising the fansubs. It could work but without the fansub groups in them that is, for the licensed series of course. As for the unlicensed ones, what Kid-Wolf said might work.

QUOTE (perimiter @ Aug 23 2010, 12:42 AM) P.s. if you want to make the site more populer then you need to do some thing with the licensed anime like maybe post the latest episode that came out with some pic but without the download links and just add the names of the teams that sub these anime.
i dont know how much is possible from what i just said but i would like to see that on the site.
The point of not posting fansub group names for licensed series at all is because a simple google search will often provide you with the group's website, irc channel, or even a torrent link. This alone defeats the purpose of supporting the companies that license titles.

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Aug 23 2010, 12:50 AM)Also, having a link setup for siad sub groups that get hosted onto this site might also be a good idea.
See thread in sempai/mod forum regarding new "project". I recall daft also working on this or at least on his to-do list about a year ago
tongue.gif

QUOTE Not only that but it helps reduce the troll subs disgusing themselves as a legitamate sub group.
If there was a way to implement a filter into the server, it would be great, but I doubt that's possible..

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back