FTV Fansubbing Project/Group

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Kit-Tsukasa

-desu
Retired
So I've been thinking for a while now about this idea of getting a group of users here and form an actual Fansub TV fansubbing/dvd-ripping group. Obviously this is easier said than done considering the manga scanlating project is now stalled/dead. However, let's make this a reality. Fansub from Fansub TV! (we can decided on the group name later
tongue.gif
)

I don't expect a huge amount of commitment, but I don't want someone decides to hop on the boat and then disappear for a long period of time or even forever when the rest of the crew "desperately" needs him or her for something to keep the project moving. You don't need much experience to join as all of us will learn the process along the way and I'm sure there are a couple veteran fansubbers or know how to fansub on the board here...just many of them are unwilling to speak up
tongue.gif

You can read these article and process of basic Fansubbing: Modern Fansub Techniques
Fansubbing in a Nutshell (by Infusion)

I'm sure some of you noticed this poll I made back in January: Here
And so I took into the consideration that we may not be ready to do full-scale fansubbing nor did I intend to have that happen right off the start. So I was planning on doing some DVD rips to start off with.

We can do ANY unlicensed project as long as there is a consensus, commitment involved, and access to scripts.

Without further ado, these are the positions that need to be filled (they are not finalized):
Raw "Fetcher": Kit-Tsukasa, FTV-Subs Team
Translator (TL):* Jink, Moshi
Timer: labk1ta, Jink, Itkatsu, Shinii
Typesetting (TS): langes01x, Hiasubi, Shinii, Itkatsu
Karaoke:**: Langes01x, Jink
Editor: langes01x, nomae
Encoding: Hiasubi, Primula, Doomsayer
Quality Checking (QC):*** Kit-Tsukasa, Nomae
Distro/Host Bots:**** maiku_ando
Back-up Staff: deadlylazers, dchaosblade

Color Code:
Current: Red
Unknown: Blue

Tell me in a post of what you can and/or can't do as well as a brief description of any experience you have had with fansubbing. With the exception of backup staff, we need at least 2 users for each position. This is a first come first serve basis! However, I will consider you if you have more experience than others and put you on the backup staff list. I have put down my name for stuff I can do. You may occupy more than one position if you can handle the load. If you do not understand a position (since I may be using more modern terms) feel free to ask about it and what you are required to do.

* Asterisk Notes:
*Translators are not an immediate need at the moment, but if you are good with Japanese dialogue, moderately fluent, and willing to commit time to the project, please, by all means, do sign up.
**Karaoke is also not an immediate need since we could always grab official lyrics off Gendou, but it would not hurt having one or two either
***Since this is the position I have the most experience in, I will test you before you can take up this position.
****Distro/host bots are not immediately needed.  We could always upload the finish product to megaupload temporarily.

I don't expect the first project to move fast at all as this is a time-consuming project and may be tedious at times. However, I do hope that this will eventually be similar to our webzine project and the ball will be rolling rather soon. Also, I and I'm sure most users are aware that we have our daily life too, so I don't expect this to often be a priority over that at all.

I hope to look forward for a relatively full staff and maybe even our first project out!

Also, anyone who is unable to commit, but has had fansubbing experience, please do share advice!

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Feb 06 2009, 03:10 AM)****Distro/host bots are not immediately needed.  We could always upload the finish product to megaupload temporarily.
It maybe worth speaking to daft about distribution. Perhaps he can add the fansubbed episodes into the FTV servers. By doing so, the fansubbed episodes will gain greater exposure, which is always a good thing. Besides it is probably a more effective distribution method than megaupload links (think of the scheduler features etc). Just send him a pm you won't be losing anything...

But good luck with the project!
happy.gif

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Feb 06 2009, 03:35 AM)I guess if you wanted to, you can put the magazine on hold, recruit more members and start doing some subbing^^
Over my dead body!!!
laugh.gif
And don't get any funny ideas Kit!
wink.gif

If you guys have the time and devotion to make the Fanzine magazine, anythings possible lols I guess if you wanted to, you can put the magazine on hold, recruit more members and start doing some subbing^^ I think this is a great idea, it would truly separate FTV from the rest. But yea, daft I guess has the final say.

I'd love to help though I'm not 100% sure if I can be commited at any time for now.

QUOTE (monsta666 @ Feb 05 2009, 08:20 PM) It maybe worth speaking to daft about distribution. Perhaps he can add the fansubbed episodes into the FTV servers. By doing so, the fansubbed episodes will gain greater exposure, which is always a good thing. Besides it is probably a more effective distribution method than megaupload links (think of the scheduler features etc). Just send him a pm you won't be losing anything...

But good luck with the project!
happy.gif

Over my dead body!!!
laugh.gif
And don't get any funny ideas Kit!
wink.gif

I will ask daft about the servers when the time comes or if we even get an episode out
tongue.gif
and I don't plan on having this take over the webzine, nor would I see a point in doing so.

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Feb 05 2009, 08:35 PM)But yea, daft I guess has the final say.

I'd love to help though I'm not 100% sure if I can be commited at any time for now.
already got approval. Just need a team and be able to release something
tongue.gif
I will probably keep this thread going for about 2 months. If there is no team established by then. I will shut down this project for a long while......while I learn/refresh my own fansubbing skills in other areas....

Would it be too chaotic if we had like 20-50 people working on the project at once? I mean would it be more chaos or would it be more beneficial and make things go faster Oo Like people can do shifts, work on something for 1 hr then switch, lols but that might get pretty disorganized without moderationXD

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Feb 05 2009, 09:14 PM) Would it be too chaotic if we had like 20-50 people working on the project at once? I mean would it be more chaos or would it be more beneficial and make things go faster Oo Like people can do shifts, work on something for 1 hr then switch, lols but that might get pretty disorganized without moderationXD
That depends. For example, I don't want someone translating half an episode and someone else doing the second half. Editor is a different story, and same with Typesetting. I wouldn't mind having more than one user working on it at a time. This way we get different views on how it will look etc... There's not much you could really do with shifts if you ask me.

and 50 people is a lot, but if we get enough, we can split up into different projects eventually. However, I prefer to work on one project at a time at the moment with a relatively small group and some backups to get the project even moving an inch first. Once the group begins to show that we can handle more than one project at a time, then I'll/we'll considering adding more people.

QUOTE (InuyashaX @ Feb 05 2009, 11:14 PM) Would it be too chaotic if we had like 20-50 people working on the project at once? I mean would it be more chaos or would it be more beneficial and make things go faster Oo Like people can do shifts, work on something for 1 hr then switch, lols but that might get pretty disorganized without moderationXD
Typically, the more people you have, the less efficient your team is since a lot of time tends to be lost in management and communication.

I could probably do typesetting as long as we aren't looking to release too much / too fast. I've got a bit of time but not a lot or else I would gladly have taken on more.

Either that or editing since it doesn't involve transferring large files around. I guess you can throw me in which ever one has less applicants.

QUOTE (langes01x @ Feb 05 2009, 10:06 PM) I could probably do typesetting as long as we aren't looking to release too much / too fast. I've got a bit of time but not a lot or else I would gladly have taken on more.

Either that or editing since it doesn't involve transferring large files around. I guess you can throw me in which ever one has less applicants.
I put you on both for now and will move if needed depending on how many there actually is for each section.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Feb 05 2009, 11:10 PM)Obviously this is easier said than done considering the manga scanlating project is now stalled/dead.I wish all of you good luck in fansubbing considering I was in the manga project which just deteriorated by itself. I suggest you all make sure you have the time to do this before volunteering. Wanting to give back to the fansub community is a big thing, so don't over do it
sleep.gif

I would join up except I cannot commit because of Real Life. But if you guys need a back up encoder when you get your project rolling, I can help out for one or two episodes. Background is not much and I havn't been in an actual fansub group but it's been a while since I was last active: Many of you might remember stage6, that video sharing site. Kind of like YouTube with higher resolution videos. I ran an anime channel under a different name which grew to one of the most popular on the site. In order to upload any sort of video onto Stage6, you needed the video in .avi format and DivX compressed. so I converted mainly .avi Xvid files, hard subbed .mkv files and soft subbed .mkv files into the required upload format. As some one who had no knowledge of video containers previously, the hardest part about uploading was figuring out that the website wanted DivX compressed videos when they were just asking for ".avi" files. But yeah from learning how to convert I also learned how to assemble and so I can hard subtitle although it's alot easier to put the final product in soft sub .mkv. Looking back on that now, I probably should have asked the fansub groups when I was uploading their videos especially when I was re-encoding .mkv's, but it's no use crying over spilled milk since Stage 6 has been closed for a while anyways.

So again, good luck, and I hope this doesn't end like the scanslation project
tongue.gif

Well you said you dont need much experience right? Since you will be learning as you go right?

Well how about no experience, i would like to learn the encoding, would have prefered typesetting, but i want to learn to encode anyway, and since im not on the Webzine i could leanr as much as i can while you all work on that.

I read thiose guides and they seem simple enough so all i would need is the practivce
smile.gif

So yeah if you want some one for encoding i want to do it but if you would prefer an experienced persoon then i wouldnt mind
smile.gif

QUOTE (Hiasubi @ Feb 10 2009, 01:47 AM) So yeah if you want some one for encoding i want to do it but if you would prefer an experienced persoon then i wouldnt mind
smile.gif

I don't really mind. But unfortunately, I'm not the person to ask when it comes to typesetting
tongue.gif
. Encoding I have some basic knowledge of....and it isn't all that difficult (it's more like how fast your computer can process large files
tongue.gif
)

Anyways, I put you down for both.

Thing is, I don't mind if our project gets bashed a bit here and there for the first few releases (if we ever get any out) since we're still novices at this and hopefully we learn from mistakes and improve
smile.gif

Anyways, it more or less looks like we have almost a solid group here so for the users I have listed above for this project, anything in mind you guys want to do first? Keep in mind that DVD raws and scripts must be available though. If not, then I'll just pick a "random" series and we'll work from there. We could try Blu-Ray, but I'm not too keen on that since the files are relatively large and it's encode quality may be a bit more than what we can handle at the moment.

Blueray as you say has rather large file sizes especially for the raw files that we would be using. Also the problem is that almost everyone would need access to them which makes it even worse. Bandwidth usage would be a potential problem.

As for what project to do: I don't really mind doing whatever series anyone else wants to. The only show I'd actually want to do has no subs out and we don't exactly have a translator to do it so that won't work. Basically whatever everyone else agrees on is fine for me.

QUOTE (langes01x @ Feb 10 2009, 05:53 PM)
As for what project to do: I don't really mind doing whatever series anyone else wants to. The only show I'd actually want to do has no subs out and we don't exactly have a translator to do it so that won't work. Basically whatever everyone else agrees on is fine for me.
Well since this is new to some and what not and since Kit doesnt seem to care for contant releases and go in all slave driver mode, since we dont have translater present, couldnt we pick a seires that has subs already and make our verison of that series to practice on?

I can do editing and QC, but only on a priority basis. I don't come to the forums much anymore, so whenever something is ready for either, someone would have to e-mail me instead of expecting me to find out via a post in a thread. That said, I have experience with both positions and would be willing to help. Better to make me a backup than a primary though.

Kit, if you want to 'test' me, shoot me a pm or e-mail.

QUOTE (Hiasubi @ Feb 10 2009, 11:41 AM) Well since this is new to some and what not and since Kit doesnt seem to care for contant releases and go in all slave driver mode, since we dont have translater present, couldnt we pick a seires that has subs already and make our verison of that series to practice on?
I believe that was the idea at the moment. We would pick up something that has subs already and do either a DVD or Blueray version of it. This would make it much easier and at the same time still contribute since it (hopefully) wouldn't otherwise be available.

The only problem is that many fansub groups do not appreciate it when people use their subs on a new encode, even if modified. If you plan to use subs from another group on a higher encode of it (e.g. HD, DVD, Blueray, etc) then I highly advice you contact the group and ask permission first.

So Kit are there any plans to get something underway or are we waiting until we get more people involved? I'm not saying that we should just leap into it unprepared but without anyone discussing where things are at we're not likely to get any more people joining.

QUOTE (langes01x @ Feb 16 2009, 12:16 AM) So Kit are there any plans to get something underway or are we waiting until we get more people involved? I'm not saying that we should just leap into it unprepared but without anyone discussing where things are at we're not likely to get any more people joining.
I'm kinda busy with exams this week
tongue.gif
Regardless, I will contact these fansubbers for their scripts. Note that if they are unreachable (this includes me not being able to access IRCs while at school), we will credit them regardless.

I was thinking we do Sekirei as the first project since yesy's scripts are available easily on their site and they don't care what we do with them.

We could get this project underway next week, but this is assuming you guys are also ready. Just let me know if you guys are okay with this project or want to do something else. I will get those raws as soon as I can.

Sekirei DVDs are being done by multiple groups so that may not be the best idea. Also I thought yesy was releasing their own DVD copies. It makes no sense to do something that is already out there and done by well known groups.

If you still really want to do them then I'm in but to me it doesn't make much sense.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back