Natsume Yuujinchou Roku (2017) & Go (2016)

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

senpai-kun

-nakama
Retired

Title: Natsume Yūjin-Chō

Animation Production: Brains Base

Production: NAS

Number of episodes: estimated 13

Vintage: 2008-07-07

Opening Theme:
"Issei no Koe (一斉の声) Simultaneous Voice" by Shuhei Kita
Ending Theme:
"(夏夕空) Summer Evening Sky" by Kousuke Atari

(Source Material from ANN)

Plot (source ANN): Natsume Takashi has the ability to see spirits, which he has long kept secret. However, once he inherits a strange book that belonged to his deceased grandmother, Reiko, he discovers the reason why spirits surround him. Containing the names of these spirits, a binding contract was formed between the spirits and the owner of the book. Now, Natsume is determined to free the spirits and dissolve the contracts. With the help of a spirit cat, his days are filled trying to return the names to these spirits.

Looks a like a winner.....That mysterious Neko, hanging on for dear life, in the tree, well, he/she looks adorable.
rolleyes.gif
I like animes that have folks dealing with spirits and all....reminds me of other personal faves...Mononoke, Mokke. Thanks for the heads up witty-san!
wink.gif

QUOTE (ImTakes @ Jun 27 2008, 04:16 AM) Looks a like a winner.....That mysterious Neko, hanging on for dear life, in the tree, well, he/she looks adorable.
rolleyes.gif
I like animes that have folks dealing with spirits and all....reminds me of other faves....Mononoke, Mokke. Thanks for the heads up witty-san!
wink.gif

Agreed. The synopsis looks really good definitely a must watch..
laugh.gif

I kinda plan on watching this. It has a bit of Tactics and Shounen Onmyouji elements which I like! Besides, I'd like to hear Tieria pull of the little boy (yeah, he's voiced by the same person who does Tieria in Gundam 00).

just watched the first episode... it's actually very good. though i'm not sure if this will hold my interest for long but i like it. i'm just wondering if there are more things in store for natsume other than just returning the names of the demons that his grandmother took. most probably... but i hope they won't jump episode to episode with some random demon.

but then again, it's only 13 episodes so it should be. i'm definitely picking up another episode.

I also watched the first episode, but I was rather confused. I realize this is a supernatural anime, so expecting realism should be thrown out the window, but I have to get over this huge flaw in the story...

So the kid's grandma would beat ayakashi/youkai with a baseball bat and then force them to sign their names in a book, which I guess entails some type of binding contract for youkai. Now, the grandma died, never doing anything much with the youkai from the book. All of a sudden her grandson now finds the book and has a desire to give each youkai back their name (which would free them of some obligations I take it). This is all fine, but when the character used the cliche of how this would do what the grandma left "undone", I have to scratch my head. Wouldn't that be going against the wishes of the grandma? I mean, had she wanted to free them, she could have done it before she died. And heck, we saw how that one youkai kept waiting and waiting for Reiko to call her, but Reiko never did... I think she was just a typical power hungry schoolgirl with a baseball bat. She just had the book to show off how strong she was. She never had any intention of actually freeing the youkai from their contracts, as that would negate everything she did.

QUOTE (Megiddo @ Jul 10 2008, 11:43 AM)I mean, had she wanted to free them, she could have done it before she died. And heck, we saw how that one youkai kept waiting and waiting for Reiko to call her, but Reiko never did... I think she was just a typical power hungry schoolgirl with a baseball bat. She just had the book to show off how strong she was. She never had any intention of actually freeing the youkai from their contracts, as that would negate everything she did.
I can see your point it did come across like his grandma was only interesting in capturing as many youkai as should could in her book of friends. Though it's probably a bit too early to just assume that we know the extent of her intentions after one episode. I don't think we are for certain when she passed away (maybe in a tragic accident & she never got the opportunity). Is it possible that one day she did plan on releasing them?

QUOTE (biankita @ Jul 10 2008, 10:47 AM)just watched the first episode... it's actually very good. though i'm not sure if this will hold my interest for long but i like it. i'm just wondering if there are more things in store for natsume other than just returning the names of the demons that his grandmother took. most probably... but i hope they won't jump episode to episode with some random demon.

I hear ya on that, I'm not certain that it will hold my interest either, especially if they just release a random youkai from the book every episode. That would = major fail, if they can tie in 3-4 episode mini arcs that are interesting that would be ideal. Overall the episode seemed a bit on the slow and boring side. Maybe if they make the ayakashi personalities more sinister it will be an entertaining watch. I'll give this one another episode or two before I decide whether or not to drop it.

That Grandma left stuff "undone" could just be Natsume's perspective on the state of things with the book and not have anything to do with her intentions at all. It's what he thinks she should have done.

It's the flashback to Grandma that won me over on this show. She is a very interesting character and the contrast between her and Natsume who is in very much the same situation but is dealing with it in the opposite manner is what I believe is going to make this show a good one. I do wonder though how such a nasty, reclusive, friendless person ever managed to have a kid.

What I'm looking forward to is when he gets around releasing some evil youkai from their contract. How that is dealt with should be very interesting.

What would make this show fail for me is if it only deals with him releasing youkai and leaves how that effects his personal life and relationships with others in school and home etc. All we've gotten form that so far is that his classmates think he's weird and the lady he lives with is overprotective of him. The show needs more characters to really pick up, I think. A love interest and a potential friend or two wouldn't go wrong to give it some depth.

finally got to see the second episode. i think they're picking up the pace... natsume's narration indicated that he's been returning a lot of names and nyanko-chan has been making omnious phrases already. my interest in it has increase though i'm giving it another episode before i really pick it up.

QUOTE (biankita @ Jul 18 2008, 02:37 AM) finally got to see the second episode. i think they're picking up the pace... natsume's narration indicated that he's been returning a lot of names and nyanko-chan has been making omnious phrases already. my interest in it has increase though i'm giving it another episode before i really pick it up.
I agree, and do hope this series will continue to keep it interesting. My favorite story of episode 2, was that of the little, Dew God. He was so kawaii and so sweet....and Hana-chan, loved him, all those long years, so devoted to him, she was. I loved this one line of his, when he was speaking to Reiko, "Once you are loved, and once you have loved, you never forget it." What a beautiful statement, if ever there was one. Ah! May the noble Dew God and Hana-chan, live happily ever after!
laugh.gif

wow, it just grows on me with every episode; i dont know what it is... maybe because its the way he narrorates the story while you have this calm feeling watching it, simply put its just nice to watch this anime... hopefully it will continue the way it is now

QUOTE (senpai-kun @ Jul 10 2008, 03:19 PM)
QUOTE (Megiddo @ Jul 10 2008 @ 11:43 AM)I mean, had she wanted to free them, she could have done it before she died. And heck, we saw how that one youkai kept waiting and waiting for Reiko to call her, but Reiko never did... I think she was just a typical power hungry schoolgirl with a baseball bat. She just had the book to show off how strong she was. She never had any intention of actually freeing the youkai from their contracts, as that would negate everything she did.
I can see your point it did come across like his grandma was only interesting in capturing as many youkai as should could in her book of friends. Though it's probably a bit too early to just assume that we know the extent of her intentions after one episode. I don't think we are for certain when she passed away (maybe in a tragic accident & she never got the opportunity). Is it possible that one day she did plan on releasing them?

Mm... I believe that Reiko was actually waiting for them to come after her. At least that's the impression I got. She's lonely, and her only "friends" were the ayakashi. No humans would approach her, nor seek her out other than for things like throwing rocks, etc.

Somehow the series gave me the impression that she was actually waiting for the initiation of the ayakashis to constantly come after her as they came after natsume. Don't friends seek each other out time to time, for what-so-ever reasons? One must remember that Reiko never had real friendships, and through time, though the want is basic, and her understanding of friendships is...different, is the idea of the friendship, though, simply simple?

xD Or maybe that's just me letting my mind go. I just don't believe one bit that she's power hungry. She knows her strength very well, and she doesn't shy away from showing it or anouncing it. It's her gift and "curse", and one she grew up with, and one that ostracised her away from the humans around her. Not knowing kindness and compassion from humans, she turns to her "gift", and I think it's a way of putting aside the loneliness. Most of the ayakashis we see so far have had lonely existances, and then Reiko appears, and then "befriending" them, and taking their names away. As shown in ep 2, some felt it got lonelier after their names were taken away(they had a taste and expectations to find something in Reiko, and expected her to call their names).

....I think I shall stop here, or I'll never stop :X In a way, it's kinda an unfortunate cycle pattern for Reiko and the ayakashis/youkais.

A-and about Natsume... I.. >.>" I don't want him to have a love interest in the series. ._. Friends - of course! Girlfriend - ._. nooooo xD

i love this show. though it makes me real sad after watching every episode, but i love it! and i'm really glad that there is more to it than just simple premise of the story natsume wanting to return the names. i feel a lot of darker things coming... i feel nyanko-chan has been dropping a lot of hints since episode 2 about natsume learning to be alert at all times and how he could just eat him if he wanted.

QUOTE A-and about Natsume... I.. >.>" I don't want him to have a love interest in the series. ._. Friends - of course! Girlfriend - ._. nooooo xD
i don't know if i want to have one or not. though the class president seem like a good choice. but i hope that in the next episode where i think they're having their test of courage thing, it won't turn out to be a cheeseball story with the kyaa-girl-is-afraid...
sleep.gif
'''

I like it. He's the opposite of Granny. As she took names she became more private and reclusive while as Natsume releases them he opens up more to the outside world and gains friends.

I say let him have a love interest at least as long as it doesn't turn into a romance show. And I wouldn't worry about the class president being a girlie cliche. She can't see the demons and seems more like the type who would unwittingly stride blindly into unseen danger than go kyaa.

episode 6 has just won me over completely for this anime, dont get me wrong it was amazing all along and going strong for episodes 1-5 but episode 6 was very emotional with the whole romance theme (not to do with Natsume)... gotta say i'm liking this anime more and more, maybe because its one of the very few existing that give you a calm feeling from beginning to end, not to mention the storytelling is done very well

again, episode six made me sad :'( it seems that with the exception of episode 4 (which annoyed the hell out of me), every episode made me sad - even the furries episode
sleep.gif
''' but i love it.
biggrin.gif

sasada has been reduced to a background character - thank god, i can't stand her alwasy wanting to hang around natsume for the youkai since she found out natsume's secret. they should try to develop her into a more interesting character if they want to make her a pairing for natsume. otherwise, it'll just piss me off...

QUOTE (AnimeWiz07 @ Aug 14 2008, 12:11 AM) episode 6 has just won me over completely for this anime, dont get me wrong it was amazing all along and going strong for episodes 1-5 but episode 6 was very emotional with the whole romance theme (not to do with Natsume)... gotta say i'm liking this anime more and more, maybe because its one of the very few existing that give you a calm feeling from beginning to end, not to mention the storytelling is done very well
My thoughts exactly

I can't explain the emotions I felt hearing the birds story and seeing how they animated it

Her sitting around natsume until he finally decided to help her and how she said she loved humans

All the way to the end when you see that picture

very well done

That episode was indeed beautiful. However, it's a myth that birds will abandon a nest because the chicks were handled by humans. But I'll just assume the Swallow girl heard that from humans and something else had happened that prevented the parents from returning.

I loved that mask she was wearing. The emblem would make a neat tattoo.

QUOTE (AccipiterF1 @ Aug 16 2008, 10:00 AM)
I loved that mask she was wearing. The emblem would make a neat tattoo.
Actually, that character on the paper mask that swallow wore just reads "bird". Correct me if I'm wrong.

And I agree with biankita about sasada. Seeing her annoys me so much. In the manga, Sasada moves away with her family after she meets Shigure, and after the school building is closed down, thus explaning her desperation when she threatened Natsume. So, I was actually really hoping that she would leave <.<" especially because she threatened to reveal the fact that Natsume could "see" to everyone if he did not help her...and her moving away pacified me in the manga. :X

The way things are going though, I really don't want him to have a love interest yet. It's a little too fast, and will seem to break the rythem and current pace of the anime. Learning to come to terms with his "sight", and then admitting that he likes both humans and ghosts because both actually have a heart, and then slowly starting to make friends. I would think it's weird if he just suddenly found himself liking someone in a way more than just a platonic relationship. Though if perhaps some might want things to spice up a little, that's one way, I suppose.

Oh, and I totally agree with AnimeWiz07 and Hyuuga. The first time I read the manga, it caught and kept my interest. The main character himself is very interesting, and I absolutely loved the naration as well as, and especially, the character developement. The fact that the mangaka steered away from normal cliched characters like a kyaa-ing ditsy main character girl, overly angst-y main, etcetc added to the score. The melancholy in the whole naration can be very sad, but in a way, calming, and makes you think sometimes... The art is relatively uncomplicated, but the style definitely acentuates this story.

Natsume is not a loud person both in appearance and character, and is someone who doesn't particularly stands out in the crowd if you place him there, but as we watch, we grow to like him more <.< well, at least for me. He thinks about life, and finds for his own meaning for things around him, including himself. Even if it's hard to understand humans and the ghosts, he strives to see their hearts, and it reflects on his actions. Even if it's hard, he'll do it; to find the something that he is searching for.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back