What would you like to know about Iceland

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

tonifreyr

-dono
Kouhai
Im very proud of the fact that i am icelandic and because of that the ignorance or plain stupidity of what people think Iceland is makes me kinda pissed at times, so in order to cure the Ignorance
wink.gif
I decided to start this thread to answer all your questions you would possibly like to know an answer to,

I will use my own experience as an Icelandic to answer your questions

I will check this everyday at least once and answer all your questions.

P.s. dont be shy in asking anything no matter how stupid it sounds to you.
smile.gif

Is Iceland really just a giant iceberg?!
dry.gif

I'm just kidding incase you didn't know, lol.
*tries to think up a real question*
ummm...'

What makes Iceland the "most developed country" in the world according to the Human Development Index? Whats so different and special?

A string of questions from an ignorant monsta:

Who is the president/prime minster of Iceland?
What is the currency of Iceland?
What is the capital of Iceland?
What is the best place in Iceland to visit?
What is the national sport of Iceland? ~ I'm guessing it's cross country skiing. I'm pretty sure that's Norway's national sport (they're always really angry when they fail to get the gold medal in these events)

Isn't Greenland icy and Iceland Green? Why's that?

QUOTE (dchaosblade @ Feb 04 2008, 06:54 PM)
What makes Iceland the "most developed country" in the world according to the Human Development Index?  Whats so different and special?

Id say the Human Development index is wrong, since we dont really make alot of things, we just buy from other countries,
could you be more specific on what development(technology, social studies, etc.)

QUOTE (monsta666 @ Feb 04 2008, 07:20 PM)A string of questions from an ignorant monsta:

Who is the president/prime minster of Iceland?
What is the currency of Iceland?
What is the capital of Iceland?
What is the best place in Iceland to visit?
What is the national sport of Iceland? ~ I'm guessing it's cross country skiing. I'm pretty sure that's Norway's national sport (they're always really angry when they fail to get the gold medal in these events)

The presidents name is -Ólafur Ragnar Grímson and the Prime minister's name is Halldór Ásgrímsson

Our currency is the Króna(60 krónur equals one dollar)

The Capital is Reykjavík

my favorite is Egilstaðir wich is a town on the other side of the country from where I live(I live in Hafnarfjörður wich is just beside Reykjavík(the capital)) but for a more tourist-y place id suggest Gullfoss- a big beautiful waterfall, Geysir, a waterhole that spits water hot enough to boil your bones of 50 meters in the air(exxaguration)And Þingvellir wich is a historical site that has tourist information about our history in politics and other things.

Our national sport most certainly isnt Skiing, believe it or not we do not have snow all year round, I nthe summer the temperature goes all the way to +40C°, its very rare though for that to happen, but in winter its the opposite, like just this last weekend the temperature went down to minus 20-25C° that said skiing isnt even that a popular sport in Iceland

We dont really have a national sport But many consider Handball to be it

Hope that answer's some of your questions, just ask again if you dont understand something

im very open to questions about food and weather. both of wich are kind of effed up

QUOTE (EggBeast @ Feb 04 2008, 07:23 PM)Isn't Greenland icy and Iceland Green? Why's that?

That is simply because the two men who found the countries named them so, also Iceland is icy part of the year, I mean right now we got snow covering the whole country for the past couple of weeks,

I remember back when I was taking Geography when I lived in Europe; I was taught that they purposefully named Iceland/Greenland opposite in order to confuse potential invaders.
Invaders would be like "Oh, Greenland, lets go loot there!!" and then get there to see nothing but a deserted wasteland. They wouldn't go to Iceland because they thought *it* was the deserted wasteland. Something like that...

Also, as far as the Human Development Index:
QUOTE The Human Development Index (HDI) is a comparative measure of life expectancy, literacy, education, and standards of living for countries worldwide. It is a standard means of measuring well-being, especially child welfare. It is used to distinguish whether the country is a developed, a developing, or an under-developed country, and also to measure the impact of economic policies on quality of life.
And I guess I should note, Iceland is ranked #1 of the 175 nations in the U.N.; not necessarily the entire world.
Rankings for HDI

QUOTE (dchaosblade @ Feb 04 2008, 08:05 PM) I remember back when I was taking Geography when I lived in Europe; I was taught that they purposefully named Iceland/Greenland opposite in order to confuse potential invaders.
Invaders would be like "Oh, Greenland, lets go loot there!!" and then get there to see nothing but a deserted wasteland. They wouldn't go to Iceland because they thought *it* was the deserted wasteland. Something like that...

And I guess I should note, Iceland is ranked #1 of the 175 nations in the U.N.; not necessarily the entire world.
Rankings for HDI
They really tought you that in Geography???
In my textbooks The first settler came here in summer, good grass good weather and a nice country all in all, he didnt know the climate changes well enough so he ended up with insufficient supplies over winter and a lot of his crew died, he hated the country and so Named it Iceland, a land of Ice cruel and inhabitable,
That is what its like how I learned it when I was eight, I will crossreference this with my history teacher tomorrow.
but to counter your suggestion on the fooling thing(lets loot there) there was nothing in Iceland worth looting at that period of time.

As for the HDI, we have a good system and a lot of jobs, even poor people do okay here,
My stepdad has an slightly above average job, and we are about to buy a new house, have it built, and its 550 square meters, (2 floors, 250 each)

QUOTE (tonifreyr @ Feb 04 2008, 08:26 PM)QUOTE (dchaosblade @ Feb 04 2008, 08:05 PM) I remember back when I was taking Geography when I lived in Europe; I was taught that they purposefully named Iceland/Greenland opposite in order to confuse potential invaders.
Invaders would be like "Oh, Greenland, lets go loot there!!" and then get there to see nothing but a deserted wasteland.  They wouldn't go to Iceland because they thought *it* was the deserted wasteland.  Something like that...

Rankings for HDI
They really tought you that in Geography???
In my textbooks The first settler came here in summer, good grass good weather and a nice country all in all, he didnt know the climate changes well enough so he ended up with insufficient supplies over winter and a lot of his crew died, he hated the country and so Named it Iceland, a land of Ice cruel and inhabitable
That is what its like how I learned it when I was eight, I will crossreference this with my history teacher tomorrow.
but to counter your suggestion on the fooling thing(lets loot there) there was nothing in Iceland worth looting at that period of time.

As for the HDI, we have a good system and a lot of jobs, even poor people do okay here,
My stepdad has an slightly above average job, and we are about to buy a new house, have it built, and its 550 square meters, (2 floors, 250 each)

Read this post in the beginning for that answer Gustl-kun

haha hadn't nmoticed that post but thanks for directing me to it.
Let's see if I can think of an interest8ng question now hmmm *thinks hard*.......
*thinks harder*......*thinks really really hard* owie owie
ummm...*sticks hand in the air*
What is your equivelent of GCSE's called? (approximately high school education qualification)

Is Iceland a beautiful country? At least compared with others you know?

Are The Sagas part of the school curriculum? I'm wondering it it's similar to the almost inevitable fact that Shakespeare will be studied at some stage in a number of countries?

@Gustl1976
We use the same as everybody else in europe............... I think
blink.gif

Anyways Ill have to research this abit since I dont really know what GCSE is, but the qualification for High school is called ''samrænd próf'' or conjoined tests.

@Eggy
Out in the Wild it is very beautiful

This is Þingvellir, a historical site in Iceland
ingvellirgz9.jpg

And here´s the famous Blue lagoon
20040225175232aagopfh3.jpg

And here´s Gullfoss(Golden waterfall)

In summer
gullfoss10871bp8.jpg

and in winter
gullfoss166es7.jpg

And the Geysir
258geysirzv8.jpg

Jökulsárlón(Glacier lagoon)
4700fa765fdcf879094706fg1.jpg

And just some random pretty scenery taken close to Hljóðaklettar(sound mountains)
img4251kp4.jpg

@ nahrallah- I dont know what The Sagas is/are so i guess they are not part of it, besides, we have our own poets, also in translations meanings are often lost.

QUOTE (tonifreyr @ Feb 06 2008, 08:11 AM) @ nahrallah- I dont know what The Sagas is/are so i guess they are not part of it, besides, we have our own poets, also in translations meanings are often lost.
I looked them up and found some names to try to explain what I'm talking about:
  • Kings' sagas (Konungasögur)
  • Icelanders' sagas (Íslendingasögur)
  • Short tales of Icelanders (Íslendingaþættir)
  • Contemporary sagas (Samtíðarsögur or Samtímasögur)
  • Legendary sagas (Fornaldarsögur)
  • Chivalric sagas (Riddarasögur)
I watched a programme about the sögur (?) a while back and was just curious to know if they're well known or even is some version of them is studied by students at school.

I must say Iceland is a very beautiful country
biggrin.gif
(i saw your images)

I'd like to go there sometime
smile.gif

1. How many people live in Iceland??

2. How is the police force in Iceland??

3. How does an Iceland policecar look like??

The last 2 questions may seem like strange questions.

I think the police is awesome, thats why the last 2 questions.

We have over 313 thousand inhabitants living in Iceland

Here are a few pictures of icelandic police and their rides
smile.gif

8907cc9.jpg

29201loggan20brautin3ri0.jpg

logreglanhofn007hg5.jpg

supercophq7.gif

The Icelandic police are very effective,
Due to tha fact that this country has such a small population, getting away with a crime is very very close to impossible.

@AccipiterF1- some are, some are not, but the pretty ones..........wow
blink.gif

blink.gif
Wow the icelandic police looks awesome
blink.gif

Thanks for the answers
biggrin.gif

And of course for showing me the images
biggrin.gif

Wow, that' quite the beautiful country you've got there!

Your welcome chuuko

@Nahrallah
Sry forgot to answer you in the earlier post( was very busy looking for pics)

The reason I didnt recognize them is cause you called them Sagas wich is a name i hadnt heard before.

The sagas you mention there are both some of wich I studied a long time ago and some that i am studying right now.

Most of these are very fictionus in my opinion, they always Make the heroes bigger, stronger and more brutal in stories.

here's my reasoning,
Just look at the story about beowulf(Bjólfur) he is said to have swam for five days(thus 5 hours) and then killed 3 seamonsters(3 or even 1 shark, shark=seamonster)
thats my opinion anyways

Im about to start Short tales of Icelanders (Íslendingaþættir) in Icelandic class.

I just got promoted to- dono
yay
laugh.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back