GENERAL MUSIC

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

labk1ta

-daisuki
Retired
Hello. We decided to make a thread just for general music discussions, recommendations, and as well as identifications. This section is for discussion of any music that we currently listening, or ask for music that we heard but coudn't not identify it. Or even J-Pop, J-bands or ANYTHING that has got to do with music.

Thread Rules

The General Music Thread is for discussion of non-anime/non-video game related music. This is the place to promote artists you like, or to discuss concerts you might have been to. If you're looking for suggestions of new artists, give a description of what you like listening to and perhaps someone can suggest some new albums to you. This thread is not strictly limited to Japanese music - discussion of any country's music is fine.

However, do not give links to music. This includes asking or providing links to other forums, direct download file-sharing sites of any sort, and/or torrents, IRC channels, and trackers. This is not the thread to be sharing mp3 files. There are many places on the net which host music files for download, users are encouraged to find those forums if they want downloads. If you are looking for an OST, please use one of the following threads:

Anime Music Thread
Drama Music Thread
Video Game Music Thread

I repeat, no downloads are allowed in this thread. If you ask for download links, your post will be deleted.

As always, regular forum rules also apply.

So... this thread is open now? *sticks her toe in tentatively*

Anyway... I have a few recommendations, and even DL links (mods, if this isn't appropriate, please delete - mod note: links removed)

BUMPOFCHICKEN-OrbitalPeriodalbumcov.jpg

BUMP OF CHICKEN - Orbital Period album:
I have listened to the song "MAYDAY" nonstop for the last week.

NewPants-DragonTigerPanaceacover-sm.jpg

New Pants - Tiger Dragon Panacea album: (2006) (upped 9/25/07)
(P.S. Yes, they're Chinese, and totally awesome; besides, the last song is titled "Otaku"!)

LAMBSEY-LAMBRANGERcover.jpg

LAMBSEY - LAMB RANGER album: (2006)

RyoheiYamamoto-TakeOveralbumcover.jpg

Ryohei Yamamoto - Take Over album: (2004)

Ryohei-ReListenalbumcover.jpg

Ryohei Yamamoto - ReListen album: (2007)

So, I guess I'll stop there for now. I'm a huge fan of music (especially non-VK rock bands), so I bet I'll be spending a lot of time in this thread in the future...

Does anyone listen to old school hip hop? I'm talking about artists and groups like A Tribe, Slick Rick, Run DMC, Biz Markie, De La Soul, etc. etc.

I really like them because they don't rap about the sex, money, cars and all that gangsta nonsense, they bring style to the genre. If anyone can share other artists like the aforementioned, I'd totally dig that.

QUOTE (Noshi @ Jan 28 2008, 03:33 PM) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAN7Ts0xBo

Daler Mehndi - Tunak Tunak Tun

It's just... so wrong.... XD but cool and funny at the same time
smile.gif

You just made my day with this video
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Its like a PCP trip while listening to poonjabi music, well at least how I would imagine one.
It's not like i do PCP........
dry.gif
dry.gif

QUOTE (Noshi @ Jan 28 2008, 11:33 PM) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAN7Ts0xBo

smile.gif

HAHAHA......that was a good listen.....thanx Noshi. **lurking in the shadows of the forum**

Put more J-music albums....hmmm...lemme me request one. Can someone put all the albulms of Number 201 please ??

Thx.
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Noshi @ Jan 28 2008, 03:33 PM)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAN7Ts0xBo

smile.gif

Noshi: your post reminds me of a video a coworker showed me about a month ago:

it's a little different than the OG one

MJ?

For that matter, here's another they showed me after.. interesting prison activity no?

MJ2

Inoue Reizo: A couple more off the head; Whodini (I'm a Hoe! lol) Fat Boys, EPMD, Eric B and Rakim, LL Cool J, Doug E Fresh.... um... Public Enemy, 2 Live Crew maybe also some older of the old school.. lol... Special Ed, Spoonie G... Ultramagnetic Mc's... yea think that's all I got for you in the head... I'm sure you can do a search and find four million more online.

Well time for some sleep, hope everyone is having a good day

QUOTE (okami_wolf @ Jan 31 2008, 05:47 AM) ok now can anyone tell me where I can find OST music of Kekkaishi???
Bleah if your after soundtracks try: www.tokyotosho.com or nipponsei.minglong.org/ they probably have the OST your after al though next time please make the request in the correct thread.

However i have request of the following albums from Nightmare: the WORLD Ruler and Ultimate Circus please, aswell as any recommendations people have.

Thank you all

Btw, i was flicking through my T-Shirts the other day and came across my Trivium: Ascendancy tour shirt the other day and remebered all the fun i had that night. Man it was a blast, never been in a Mosh pit like it, sure i went little gigs here and ther ein clubs, but they were nothing in comparison, lol, so i was wondering if anyone else had experinces at gigs/concerts etc..........

Does anyone else liten to a Band called Symphony X?, there music is simlar to that of Dragonforces, but Symphony came first 1994, i think it was, they are damn good, some of the solos they do ar ejust stuning imo, people say that they are just imitations of Dragonforce and it really does get on my nevres when i hear it since DF are the latter ones who probably copied them, lol SO i was wondering if anyone else had heard of them?

Lol, I seriously despise moshpits.
They can really annoy the hell outta me during a concert.
And well yeah, maybe it's -just a girl- speaking, but I think if ppl really should mosh eachother, they have to bring it to the back, you can't watch the band playing when all you're doing is pushing and punching around in that crowd of long hair, bigbellies, and sweating, beer throwing ppl
tongue.gif

I can remember when seeing Anti Feminism (japanese, punk/hardcore band) and ppl started moshing in a 10 by 5 meter small hall =____= well, I tried avoiding the pit of course, but some bald fat guy looking like security tried to get through towards the moshpit, but while I was struggling to stay away from it, he dragged me along his fat belly and I got hit T__T You seriously have no idea how it is to be kneeling there on the ground dying from pain while being afraid as hell to be trampled on. Luckily some guy picked me up, and it was because of my braces I still had, or else I would've lost my front tooth
dry.gif

(although it was because of that one time I got hit, I met the guy I'm currently with. The guy I was with before, joined in the moshpit and forgot to stay with me =____= last time at the dir en grey concert, my bf and another friend just punched ppl away moshing around us
tongue.gif
much better huh? (A) )

Im not fond of them, or a lver of them, but i had tremedous fun in it, but i do agree with what you are saying, some of them are just damned dangerous, and no one really stops them, ive been to see some bands where in the middle of song the vocalist would encourage it, but yeah i do agree with you that they arent some of the nicest places to be in, but not of them are fat beer bellys with long hair, im a skinny git who is actually underweight, lol.

But Moshing at the back isnt a solid idea either what about the people who want to leave? I mean when i went to see one band it was pretty much in the middle of the hall which many people liked since it didnt grab as many people as they normaly do.

But i bet your glad your braces eh?

Well I think it depends the kind of music, crowd, and kind of moshpits.
I mean I've also been to concert with slight moshing, but that was more like pushing around and no punches or elbows. But yeah, some bands encourage moshpits. Then some band goes screaming for circlepits, and random ppl are dragging other random persons in the circlepit. Ever seen a wall of death? Now that is the sickest I've ever heard of. Never hope to get to see that :S

As for the crowd, most metalheads think that it's a common thing to mosh on concerts. When I was at the dir en grey concert, there was one small pit, but most of the rest of the crowd was really not the kind for moshpits. Imagine younger ppl, or girls. They just wanted to enjoy the concert, and it got spoiled by ppl randomly punching around. I really do not get how ppl can watch a band while punching and pushing like that.

and yeh, glad about my braces XD and lucky for that guy too. I would've found him and got his ass raped. :x

Man i dont think ive posted this much in one thread within a small space of time lol.

No, dont think ive see or ever heard of Wall of Death, what is it exactly? Ive got an idea though......... But yeah i suppose it does heavenly depend on the music.

But im in agreement i cant see how you can enjoy music while Moshing, not too sure myself, but some people just love it, meh the mysterys of music, lol

Noshi you should have hunted him down, put on your como cream, pick up a pitch fork and hunt woman hunt like your life depends on it, he could have been your true love....lmao

QUOTE (Hiasubi @ Jan 31 2008, 03:39 PM)
Noshi you should have hunted him down, put on your como cream, pick up a pitch fork and hunt woman hunt like your life depends on it, he could have been your true love....lmao
Yeh he did could've been the true love for the electric chair in my basement
dry.gif

Wall of death is when the crowd separates itself into two large divisions, and as soon as the song is being played, they run like animals towards the other group, and yeah.. you'll imagine what the consequences may be.

Personally I'm a huge fan of Utada Hikaru
tongue.gif

although she's most noted for her contributions to Kingdom Hearts I & II her other songs are really nice and she has a fabulous voice. Also he music videos always make me smile
smile.gif

I like quite a few other things though these days I listen to "Underdog" by Mudd which is a great song.
When I'm feeling less combatative and more mellow I like to listen to "Hiro no Tsuki" though or "Shine" by Mr BIG or possibly "A World without Logos"

I've come to the conclusion that Stephanie may be my favorite japanese female singer. The genre of music may be a bit too pop for me as I'm not usually into that type of music, but she has one of my favorite voices. I love to just listen to her sing. She hasn't come out with her own album yet (next month though according to wiki), but she has a couple singles since she did both EDs for Kissdum -ENGAGE planet- and the 2nd ED for Gundam 00. Gotta go get the 2nd Gundam ED right now.

I am a 47 year old midwestern american male. I have been watching anime with my children. I have been absolutely amazed at the production quality of the music in many of these programs. Music radio here in the Chicago area is quite fragmented and many of the stations just play old music. My children have been listening to these show tunes and I think that it is fantastic that quality music is still available.

Here's another amazing band I've run across recently:

Sodagreen-IncomparableBeautycoversm.jpg

Sodagreen - Incomparable Beauty album (2007)

Sodagreen-Microcosmosalbumcoversmal.jpg

Sodagreen - Microcosm album (2006)

Sodagreen-Sodagreenalbumcoversmall.jpg

Sodagreen (self-titled) album (2005)

...Really lovely pop-rock songs-- lots of melody, instrumental diversity (i.e. not just synth-pop or guitar-rock: here be accordions, harmonica, piano, harpsichord, violin/fiddle, flute, clarinet, etc.) and the (male) singer has the most wonderful lilting voice. *swoons*

OMG OMG OMG!!!!

Just saw the greatest news (for me that is)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-...boston-in-march

The Pillows, pretty much my favorite japanese band, are going to be at Anime Boston.....!!!!!!! I kiinda freaked a bit as I read that cause I never thought I would really get a chance to ever see them live. I was already planning to go that Saturday to Anime Boston since I can walk to the Hynes Convention center from my apartment. There gonna be playing songs from the FLCL soundtracks and from there last full album "Wake Up, Wake Up, Wake Up". I don't know how many times I've listened to those albums. Too many times. Now I'm just kinda disappointed I never got to pre-register for the event and will just have to register at the door when I get there that Sat.

Formula 17 OST ( 十七歲的天空 - 17 Year Old's Sky): (2004)

This is the absolutely lovely kinda-indie-rock soundtrack to the very funny, cute, and romantic Taiwanese film Formula 17 (a.k.a. 17-Year-Old's Sky). I definitely recommend the movie even if you're not especially into BL; it's just that funny (and finally, a BL story that's not a tragedy!). I could watch this movie every week and not get sick of it. In fact, I just re-watched it this last weekend and was reminded how great the soundtrack is (and it's out of print now), so I thought I'd throw it up here, along with booklet/postcard scans I made.

P.S. If you can read Chinese or are familiar with Chinese rock/pop, please tell me the artists for trks. 06 (黄立行), 07 (霊感) & 01 (洛客班)-- but especially track 06, Ni Shen Bian, which is swoonworthy:
Trk 06. Ni Shen Bian by 黄立行: http://www.mediafire.com/?fcacbxxl2kr Do you recognize the artist!? Tell me!

Also:

DragonAsh-RiodeEmocionalbumcover.jpg

Dragon Ash - Río de Emoción album: (2005)

For the longest time I never gave Dragon Ash a second look and I think it was because I thought, judging from their name, they were VK (they're not; maybe I was thinking of Silver Ash?). But last year a (online) friend from SG, whose musical taste often overlaps with mine, got to see them live in Japan and said they were amazing. I listened to this album on her recommendation alone, and I was so glad I did. It's difficult to describe their style: Rock-reggae-latin-techno-gospel? Seriously, they're hard to categorize. Good stuff.

P.S. And you could sometimes almost swear they're singing in Spanish(!), but when you really listen, they're singing in Japanese & English.

Last minute:
New ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION album!!!

AKFG - WORLD WORLD WORLD album: (2008)

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back