Ballroom e Youkoso

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~
Staff member
Leader Council

Title: Welcome to the Ballroom
Japanese: ボールルームへようこそ
Airing date: 7/7/2017 (TV series 24 episodes)
Genres: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Music, Sports, School, Shounen
Original creator: Tomo Takeuchi
Director: Yoshimi Itazu
Written by: Kenichi Suemitsu
Music by: Yūki Hayashi
Character designer: Takahiro Kishida
Chief animation directors: Masayuki Honda and Takahiro Chiba
Animation directors: Boya Liang, Takashi Mukouda and Tomofumi Nagura
Art director: Ichirō Tatsuta
Director of photography: Hiroshi Tanaka
Main animator: Shingo Takenaka
Color design by: Mayumi Satō
Prop design by: Hiroshi Kobayashi
SFX by: Hiromi Kikuta
Editing by: Junichi Uematsu
Producer: Tetsuya Kinoshita
Studio: Production I.G
Network: MBS, Tokyo MX, BS11, Gunma TV
Opening theme: "10% roll, 10% romance" by UNISON SQUARE GARDEN
Ending theme: "Maybe the next waltz" by Mikako Komatsu
2nd OP theme: "Invisible Sensation" by UNISON SQUARE GARDEN
2nd ED theme: "Swing heart direction" by Mikako Komatsu

Main cast: Tatara Fujita (富士田多々良) voiced by Shimba Tsuchiya

Shizuku Hanaoka (花岡雫) voiced by Ayane Sakura

Kiyoharu Hyōdō (兵藤清春) voiced by Nobuhiko Okamoto

Gaju Akagi (赤城賀寿) voiced by Kentarō Tomita

Masami Kugimiya (釘宮正美) voiced by Takahiro Sakurai

Mako Akagi (赤城真子) voiced by Sumire Morohoshi

Tamie Idogawa (井戸川 民絵) voiced by Sachi Kokuryu

Chinatsu Hiyama (緋山千夏) voiced by Chinatsu Akasaki

Akira Kōmoto (甲本 明) voiced by Aoi Yūki

Gorō Mine (峰 吾郎) voiced by Takanori Hoshino

Supporting cast: Kaname Sengoku (仙谷要) voiced by Toshiyuki Morikawa

Chizuru Hongō (本郷 千鶴) voiced by Minako Kotobuki

Marisa Hyōdō (兵藤マリサ) voiced by Yūko Kaida

Tamaki Tsuburaya (円谷環) voiced by Mamiko Noto

Karen Banba (番場可憐) voiced by Yūki Kodaira
Tomichika Jinbo (仁保友親) voiced by Chado Horī

Synopsis: A professional dancer named Sengoku rescues Tatara, an introverted third-year middle school student who is being harassed by delinquents. Tatara ends up at Sengoku's dance studio where he meets Shizuku Hanaoka, a schoolmate he comes to secretly idolize. From this defining moment when Tatara enters the world of dance. Sengoku is a free-spirited, dynamic international dancer who recognizes Tatara's potential and begins to coach him. Through dance, Tatara meets another schoolmate, a dance prodigy named Kiyoharu. Through these new friendships, Tatara develops a passionate desire to improve as a dancer and be accepted by his peers and rivals, which nurtures his own native talent. And through interaction with Tatara, other dance members are encouraged to take steps to overcome their own challenges and issues.

gdpetti said:
I heard of the Ballroom anime before, so it's this summer.
wasn't sure for Yuri on Ice at first unlike ep.1, less fujoshi bait (look at me!):lol:

THis is one that reminded me of Yuri on Ice, though I haven't seen that one, just previews etc.... not into ice skating.... but dance is another story... ;)

gdpetti said:
THis is one that reminded me of Yuri on Ice, though I haven't seen that one, just previews etc.... not into ice skating.... but dance is another story... ;)
well i find this series more appealing since the very start than YoI, which lacks dancing with female figure skaters... also it just began after a grand prix unlike BeY, here its MC learns quickly by watching Sengoku and now Hyodo in ep'2 :)

Is this one going to go gay or yaoi or whatever they call it? I think that YoI is doing that, no? I read that somewhere, though I haven't watched it...

gdpetti said:
Is this one going to go gay or yaoi or whatever they call it?
not at all from what i have seen up to eps 4-5 both aired last week, Mako and Gaju debut but aside faces while dancing... i found Tatara's that guy has a long neck' hilarious too, most of them have ;/ lm liking its choreography over YoI :d

gdpetti said:
I think that YoI is doing that, no? I read that somewhere, though I haven't watched it...
i think it's a good time now seeing up to Tenpei cup finals, luckily Fujita wasn't disqualified after Mako's pad incident xD... but despite being newbie i hope he beats hothead Gaju, his weakness yet Hyōdō's MiLF made ep.8 more lively ^_^

Up through ep 11... pretty good, glad there isn't any of the yoi/yai or whatever it's called... isn't that the difference between that skating anime which is? But then, that's also reflective of the difference between the sports..... skating does have a lot of gay guys in it... whereas pro dancing doesn't have that many from what I remember watching it on tv years ago.... seems most of the pairs are either brother/sister (same in skating as well), or just brought together in their teens that later do hook up and some get married yet... not sure on the percentage, and most of their kids are taught dance from an early age, which is typical of most parents teaching their kids what they do... at least those that seem 'fun' at a young age, and ones that can bring their kids to their workplace.... many do run dance studios to pay the bills as they compete... I'd like to see this anime cover some of this background stuff... which would only require a couple of lines here or there... a brief shot of them practicing during the day when the kid, our MC is in school, etc.... they do have his father, divorced, in the anime, mostly background... they could cover most of this stuff that way.... they do bring out that 'sexy' Mom of the guy that broke his leg, or hurt his knee... that's a typical sport situation... this is rather good so far... though our MC picking up the moves that well, that fast, is definitely not very accurate.... not without something in his background to show he had this 'hidden' talent (maybe his mom was a dancer?).... they haven't mentioned the lesson fees since the beginning... like most lessons, they don't come cheap unless they are from other 'students' who are a little ahead of you.... though they did have him start off with those other two instructors, so I guess that isn't a problem so far, but they have 'Sendoku' giving away so much of his time on the new kid as if he had all the time in the world.... not very realistic... and it wouldn't take much background dialogue or scenes to correct this... why is he doing it? Is it his studio? Is that other lady there his partner? Wouldn't they be practicing?... at least during the day when the kids are in school... this situation is left hanging out there.... one of the issues once you leave school... and was he really 23 yrs old or was that a joke? He looks more like 28.

As others said, they really don't animate the dances too much, mostly in facial reaction shots left in slow motion... with very excessive expression that does suit certain dances but not many others.... they are in the 'standard' division... not the Latin division which would definitely take care of any fan service needs... male or female given the usual custumes. ;) Ep 11 seemed to show a parting glance at a female I assume will be our MC's new partner... they sure did get rid of the brother/sister couple fast.... Gaju and Mako... Other than the overly expressive facial shots that stay on screen too long, this is pretty good. I wonder if any of the other divisions will be mentioned or shown? That would be interesting if they could work it into the plot... or again, just show a little bit in the background. http://www.pbs.org/americas-ballroom-challenge/ballroom-dance-styles/

Still an ongoing manga, so hard to tell if there will be more... if so, not soon, right? This is the weird or odd thing about anime... mostly selling the manga/LN/music... and not for primetime tv distribution... .especially in today's market.... no wonder many start or go OVA.... I can't imagine a tv show based on a book or script that wouldn't be ready for primetime... yes, a few big ones like Naruto or the classics get that treatment... but it's a little surprising that anime is made at all the way their market seems to be setup... very odd... you would've thought that an anime station would've been setup long ago... these really must be fringe market! :blink: Oh well, time to catch up.... next ep seems to imply a new partner for him....

gdpetti said:
heard the graphics are good... waiting for more eps on this before I check it out.
Haven't you tried this series yet? i think its 2nd cour just got better, after a hot coach now fujita found partner on his own... lately competing against rivals As professional dancers, also I didn't know what the ED2 door meant until #21 :p

Yes, I finally caught up... finished ep 22...so only 2 eps to go.... this one has definitely gotten better... all the background issues have been dealt with, so the main storyline isn't bothered... the families, coaches, dance studios... very realistic from the little I know of... I only had a minimal exposure at about the same age, but no ballroom etc in our small village... you really have to be in a large city for competitions etc... same in any sport.. the athlete has to go where the action is... where the best coaches are etc... I like the way they started spending more time on other characters... recently the 'old style' dancer.... and mostly, they are really dealing with the issues specific to this sport... dance... the partner issues... I totally forgot the lack of guys in dance class.... how the girls have to pair up.... the dominance issue, especially for our MC's partner... all done rather well... I was a little surprised how much better the story got as the episodes passed by.... especially after they dealt with those background issues... and the focus on our MC and his circle was concentrated more.... just enough on each of the supporting cast to give them the necessary substance.... nicely done, how the writing brought in the issues, concerns, problems etc.

Even the exaggerated facial poses, which is done, mostly in particular dances for stylistic affect, moreso in recent decades than past ones... I think, not sure... but it is a reflection of society like everything else... like in any sport, little rule changes affect style changes etc... clothing, music... The facial overdose is used more for emotional affect of the characters as they adjust to each other as partners, their competition... the MC's partner and her former friend/dance partner in which she was the lead/male.... those issues were written into the script rather well... this anime is definitely improving as it goes. I also liked how they deal with the simple reality of there always being a new kid/couple on the floor as competition, especially in the pro ranks.... less chibi use as well... as it wasn't very effective in this anime I thought.

gdpetti said:
they have 'Sendoku' giving away so much of his time on the new kid as if he had all the time in the world.... not very realistic...
and it wouldn't take much background dialogue or scenes to correct this... why is he doing it? Is it his studio? Is that other lady there his partner? Wouldn't they be practicing?... at least during the day when the kids are in school... this situation is left hanging out there...
noticed Chizuru Is his partner? yet back then they didn't compete, so studio to scout newbies for a living meanwhile... Creepy Kugimiya's past in ep.22 (Truck-san xD) seeing himself on tatara, whose 0wn hell paid off leading fine at last ;)

Yeah.... I like these type of SoL's.... you get to learn about it in an entertaining way.... more money for in-betweens would be nice, but I understand what affect they are after... the mind of the dancer... so it's ok... the manga is ongoing I think, but not too far along..... it's weird how anime is an ad for other product, mainly the manga here...don't even remember the OP/EPs... I usually don't like most of them.... perhaps if I understood the language? I don't think so... I've liked others before without understanding the lyrics... like that anime on the dictionary team? That song was good... hard to find online which is odd.

Anyway... I really like what is being done with the character development for our MC and his new partner... her having to undo her tendencies of being the 'leader' in the past... which fit her tomboy personality... she's naturally more dominant.... and they really wrote that well into the script... and even the gloomy guy got his background story told... which is interesting, but it must be to show how things change... adapt or die. A second cour as our MC pair starts learning the Latin dances would be great... not many do that.

I did find that the moment I complained about certain 'issues', the next eps seemed to deal with them.... which was nice.... it's annoying to have unnecessary crap like that handing around when it can be dealt with so easily, as was proved in the following eps... his 'teacher' went back on the road doing what he does as a pro.... so didn't have time for him... and I guess, the other lady there isn't pro level to teach him? like his new teacher? sexy momma in glasses? This story has a nice collection of characters... how different people end up in the same industry/job/art/business etc... I really like those dynamics. Good writing. They even seemed to tone down some of the over excessive facial expressions... the dancers do them, but not to that extent shown previously... it seems like someone on the production team noticed and spoke up to fix these 'issues'... I'm glad they did, it makes the story flow so much better.

gdpetti said:
This story has a nice collection of characters... how different people end up in the same industry/job/art/business etc... I really like those dynamics. Good writing. They even seemed to tone down some of the over excessive facial expressions... the dancers do them, but not to that extent shown previously... it seems like someone on the production team noticed and spoke up to fix these 'issues'... I'm glad they did, it makes the story flow so much better.
nice to see fujita's previous coaches too in ep'23, cheering his improved lead... Karen's rebounds remind me to Isami of Food'wars, or Aoki (Fighting'Spirit)<_<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pGAUF9cJTY

Karen? Is that the 'fat' lady/teacher from his previous dance club? Rebound interms of her weight? Can't remember her name.
What I found interesting in the last couple eps is the choice to give their main competition in this current contest an ep for each partner. First the guy, then last ep was mostly given over to his partner.. and they do seem well matched up in terms of style and looks, personality etc. It's interesting how they gave them each an ep... rather dramatic too.... also a good look at how different people can be in street clothes/no makeup and their madeup look during a competition like this, it's hard to recognize her especially. This really sets up that pair as our MCs main competition as they climb the ranks.... hard to have a decent competition if you don't know your opponents.

Perhaps the only missing point is a reminder of how short our MCs learning curve has been.. should be referenced to his partner who has years of experience compared to his 1 year... you'd have to say he's a natural with rather strong desire to learn/compete/do the hard work on and off the floor... which is a rather quick or sudden change given his past of seemingly no experience/sports nature etc.... that was probably pushed a weeee bit faster than it should have been... but they could have put in a bit more on his shift/change towards this new part of his life...only takes a few lines here or there... but it does seem to be true that so many that start young just don't last, don't maintain their drive, or if seen as 'prodigies' as kids, only remain so until the rest catch up... but I don't really know this sport.. but it is true in life... you never hear about scientists etc being former prodigies... which reminds me of a quote by Arthur Schopenhauer that I wrote down: "Talent hits a target few can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see."

Of course, our MC will need at least another year to get up to speed against the others... and he and his partner/friends just started high school.... near the point of when the 'juniors' have to go to the next 'adult' level of the competitions... going up against pros who have been doing it for many years, perhaps nearly all their life... so if they are going to make him a 'natural'... they need to reinforce it more, and perhaps that's why we are seeing the last two eps on his main competition.. and they are in his coaches team too.... that might happen regionally, not sure about it on a national level, but they are supposed to be in Tokyo aren't they? so that does change it to being rather normal...

Well made so far. I wonder if they won't get close to the end of the ongoing manga by the end of 24 eps?

PS... that song 'Sing, Sing, Sing' is rather a standout even from the big band era... rather unique in its breaks etc...which is why it still works today. PPS.. .of course that version is new it seems, as if you listen to the original, you will feel a slight difference... as any piece of culture is always best in its element... especially that of time.... even the musicians of that time started to lose that feeling after about a decade past that prime in the era.... everything has to be updated, but rare it is to find someone take such an art/music and do it better in a current era in the style/manner of a previous one... usually it's 'updated'.... oh well.

gdpetti said:
Karen? Is that the 'fat' lady/teacher from his previous dance club? Rebound interms of her weight? Can't remember her name.
yes she ;p still Kae from Watamote is more exaggerated, this finale hints Jinbo fell for her after all and S2 scenes(?)... now that Figure skating is mentioned as similar before results, IM0 better than Yuri on Ice with the MC pair winning b)

Crap, I just erased my post! :wacko:
I was wrong on the suggestion of the last 2 eps on their competition being to have our MC pair come in second.... it was mostly to give them depth as they beat them and moved into the ranks of competition against the others waiting for them...it was a nice sendoff... if we don't see that older pair again... though we might in other finals most likely... but by winning, it pushes our MC pair into the level necessary to really compete. Nice show... my favorite this season, I wonder how advanced the storyline is in the manga compared to this anime? Interesting is that in dance, the female and male both see 'strong' dominate types... but I guess that's the norm in any pair competition in any sport...

Yuri on Ice is about the gay guys, right? There is a higher number in ice skating compared to most sports.... in the singles competitions anyway... I don't think that applies to the doubles that I know of... but then I really don't pay that much attention to them... dance isn't on tv much.. it really needs someone famous to kick it up a level... or something... as they said in this anime's last ep... it isn't in the Olympics, not sure why.... as it's very international these days... more so than many other traditional sports... just not as much money in it... yet.. it needs public interest, and that hasn't showed up as much as other sports... not sure why that is... perhaps because of the way is or isn't treated in schools? no boys until much later for most of them... as this story mentioned... they could've gave a little more on that aspect...maybe later?... it was what made our MC female's story so interesting... an aspect of the sport/competition that the public isn't aware of... though obvious when you think of it.... ice skating features as a main sport in many larger cities, especially in cold climates... .leading to hockey, usually, for the boys... that explains some of that... whereas dance doesn't have that push in schools that I've ever heard of... maybe some special ones, like those HS for Performing Arts?.. but not ballroom dance, mostly ballet/jazz/hiphop etc...

I think this anime was rather popular though... I could see it getting good ratings for the general audience... no 'gay' issues.... essentially family friendly etc... no negatives for advertisers etc. I'd like to see if our MC pair starts the Latin division as well. :)

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back