68 replies to this topic

#41 Noshi

Noshi

-sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2214 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:08 PM

Who will you be going with? biggrin.gif A month is quite long... I'm so jealous! Do you already have a planning?
As for videos, you don't necessarily have to edit and encode and stuff although I don't have much experience with that either. Youtube supports quite some file types right?

I'm not sure about the beaches. Some of my friends went to Okinawa 2 years back but I can't remember if they were allowed to swim or not.

Lol we'll probably go to Tokyo and maybe Osaka as well, but we'll all have to see. Winters in NL are pretty cold as well, but around Tokyo it should be so-so, and we're not planning on staying in a hostel either way xD I heard the beds are like a wooden board with a thin layer of something they call a mattras haha, hotel isn't much more expensive, especially if you're going together. A lot of things are more accustomed to tourists in hotels so no tiny shared showers, no jumping spiders, and yay heated rooms and good beds tongue.gif

#42 snorky2k

snorky2k

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:21 PM

My completely non-Japanese speaking mother in law went to Chiba-shi a little over twenty years ago when my niece was born. We had one of my Japanese friends write "Pardon me, I am from Iowa" and had it printed on a T-shirt and had her wear it when she got off of the plane. Since she was a 5'-10" seventy year-old American of Norwegian descent, it seems to have politely broken the ice for her and she was able to meet a lot of people.

#43 warita200

warita200

-RETIRED-

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2932 posts
  • Interests:For those who care and would like to contact me at some point, I can be found on Anime-Suki under the user name: warita (only warita without the 200) :)<br><br>The email that I have on FTV wont work, because I changed accounts a few months ago.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

I am going all alone. But I wouldnt mind to meet up with somebody from FTV, if he/she is in Tokyo in July. So people, if you go to Japan, let me know, I am all ready for some serious fun!!!!!

#44 nijlandp

nijlandp

-sama

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2627 posts
  • Interests:anime, manga, japanese language, football<br>The anime i watched:<br>- Robotech (everything there is)<br>- Thundersub<br>- Transformers<br>- Thundercats<br>- Mask<br>- The real ghostbusters<br>- Visionairies<br>- Akira<br>- Golden Boy<br>- Hand Maid May<br>- Neon Genesis Evangelion<br>- Rozen Maiden (all 3 series)<br>- Cowboy Bebop<br>- Sister Princess<br>- Maburaho<br>- To heart (all)<br>- Card Captor Sakura (movies)<br>- Wind a breath of heart<br>- Midori no Hibi<br>- REC<br>- Tsukuyomi - Moon phase<br>- Ah my goddess (all)<br>- Green Green<br>- Kanon 2002 and 2006<br>- Final Approach<br>- Zero No Tsukaima<br>- Futakoi<br>- Tokimeki <br>- Kekkaishi<br>- One<br>- The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya<br>- Neon Genesis Evangelion<br>- Saikano<br>- Aishiturize Baby<br>- Kono Nirikukumo itsukushii sekai<br>- Air TV<br>- Pita Ten<br>- Onegai Teacher<br>- Onegai Twins<br>- Karin<br>- Tales of Phantasia<br>- Ichigo 100%<br>- Love Hina<br>- Ai Yori Aoshi (both series)<br>- Hourglass of Summer<br>- Chobits<br>- Elfenlied<br>- Saber Marionette J<br>- Saishi Heiki Kanojo<br>- Da capo<br>- Mahurabo - Heartfull days<br>- Inukami <br>- Bottle fairy<br>- Sola<br>- Ranma 1/2<br>- Sumomo mo momo mo<br>- Today in class 5-2<br>- he is my master<br>- Shakugan no shana<br>- Fate stay night<br>- Zero no tsukaima 2 <br>- School days<br>- Mamotte! lollipop<br>- Mushiuta<br>- Hayate no Gotoku<br>- Lovely complex <br>- Lucky star<br>- Sayonara zetsubou sensei<br>- _summer<br>- Code-e<br>- Nagasarete Airantou<br>- Moetan<br>- Kamichama Karin<br>- Seto no Hanayome<br>- Kaibutsu Oujo<br>- Umisho<br>- Mamorukun ni megami no shukufuku wo!<br>- Clannad<br>- Myself; yourself<br>- Kodomo no jikan<br>- Shugo Chara<br>- Goshuushou-sama ninomiya-kun<br>- prism ark<br>- Fate stay night<br>- Shakugan no shana<br>- ef - a tale of memories<br>- rental magic <br>- kimikiss pure rouge<br>- suteki tantei labyrinth<br>- koharubiyori<br>- higurashi no naku koro ni kai<br>- potemayo <br>- nanatsuiro drops<br>- kakurenbo<br>- chocotto sister<br>- trouble chocolate<br>- hanbun no tsuki ga noboru sora<br>- ichigo mashimaro<br>- mushiuta<br>- puni puni poemi<br>- Eiken<br>- Cosplay complex<br>- Touka Gettan<br>- sister princess<br>- kareshi kanojo no jijou<br>- winter garden<br>- sakura diaries<br>- dokuro<br>- nodame cantabile<br>- exosquad<br>- welcome to the n.h.k.<br>- itsudatte my santa

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (warita200 @ Apr 22 2010, 05:40 PM)
I am going all alone. But I wouldnt mind to meet up with somebody from FTV, if he/she is in Tokyo in July. So people, if you go to Japan, let me know, I am all ready for some serious fun!!!!!

Too bad i'm going in August. You're only going to be around Tokyo? I would recommend buying the book (from the Explorer series) called "The complete residents' Guide: Tokyo". It has some great information about tours and sightseeing (helicopter tours, heritage tours, where to rent bicycles, brewery tours, places to visit etc.). I would recommend a visit to Yoyogi park in the weekends. Bands and performers are sometimes doing performances there.
Yokohama's amusement park is also nice to visit (if you don't want to spend to much money use the commuter train). Kamakura which is further south is also worth visiting.
Oh before i forget: the 7th of juli is Tanabata festival (star festival). Try looking around at the temples. Something they have a small fair at that time.

As for winter in Japan. I've been there during winter and it ain't so bad. North of the mountain range that divides Honshu the snow can be heavy. South (Tokyo to Hirosjima) mostly no snow. When in Japan in winter visiting the Sapporo snow festival is a good option. Otherwise go to the south of Japan and visit the area around mount Aso and Beppu. They have some great hot springs. It is also recommended to experience New Year in Japan. They have those fairs around the temples and being there at new year is something to experience.

I would recommend sleeping in minshuku's if you want to save money. Hotels are also very good but they are so western style that you don't feel like being in japan.

#45 warita200

warita200

-RETIRED-

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2932 posts
  • Interests:For those who care and would like to contact me at some point, I can be found on Anime-Suki under the user name: warita (only warita without the 200) :)<br><br>The email that I have on FTV wont work, because I changed accounts a few months ago.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:00 PM

@nijlandp, do you have any tips for off the beaten track places to go in tokyo or nearest surroundings? I love to do things that make me feel I am the only person who knows about them.....

PS: how about some decent hot springs?

#46 Noshi

Noshi

-sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2214 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (nijlandp @ Apr 22 2010, 07:07 PM)
I would recommend sleeping in minshuku's if you want to save money. Hotels are also very good but they are so western style that you don't feel like being in japan.

That's true but if you're out a lot, you'd only be there to sleep anyways (in our case that would be yes). Also if you're not accustomed to the beds thin matrasses and you already got back problems (like me), then I'd rather play it safe than have sleepless nights and painful backs everyday. Also my dutch friends who went there two years back stayed at a guesthouse. They had very small beds they barely fit into. Other friends who stayed at an appartement, had a very tiny shower, so the tallest one had a hard time showering every time XD

@ warita you should visit the Ghibli museum biggrin.gif http://www.ghibli-mu...et_information/

I've heard people shouldn't really bother going to the Harajuku bridge anymore as there are more foreign tourists than cosplayers etc nowadays. Young people don't go to meet there anymore because it's so crowded with photographers and tourists.
But do report if you ever happen to be there on a Sunday and can say differently biggrin.gif

And yeah shopping shopping shopping. I'm sure you're able to shop a lot. It's no use listing the shops, you just walk through, often look up (or down) much and you always discover new small shops ^^ You're lucky you're not too tall and are fairly slender so you probably fit in a lot of clothes tongue.gif

Since a while you're not able to withdraw money at 7eleven anymore. I heard you'll have to find the nearest citibank or JPpostbank ATM machines

#47 nijlandp

nijlandp

-sama

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2627 posts
  • Interests:anime, manga, japanese language, football<br>The anime i watched:<br>- Robotech (everything there is)<br>- Thundersub<br>- Transformers<br>- Thundercats<br>- Mask<br>- The real ghostbusters<br>- Visionairies<br>- Akira<br>- Golden Boy<br>- Hand Maid May<br>- Neon Genesis Evangelion<br>- Rozen Maiden (all 3 series)<br>- Cowboy Bebop<br>- Sister Princess<br>- Maburaho<br>- To heart (all)<br>- Card Captor Sakura (movies)<br>- Wind a breath of heart<br>- Midori no Hibi<br>- REC<br>- Tsukuyomi - Moon phase<br>- Ah my goddess (all)<br>- Green Green<br>- Kanon 2002 and 2006<br>- Final Approach<br>- Zero No Tsukaima<br>- Futakoi<br>- Tokimeki <br>- Kekkaishi<br>- One<br>- The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya<br>- Neon Genesis Evangelion<br>- Saikano<br>- Aishiturize Baby<br>- Kono Nirikukumo itsukushii sekai<br>- Air TV<br>- Pita Ten<br>- Onegai Teacher<br>- Onegai Twins<br>- Karin<br>- Tales of Phantasia<br>- Ichigo 100%<br>- Love Hina<br>- Ai Yori Aoshi (both series)<br>- Hourglass of Summer<br>- Chobits<br>- Elfenlied<br>- Saber Marionette J<br>- Saishi Heiki Kanojo<br>- Da capo<br>- Mahurabo - Heartfull days<br>- Inukami <br>- Bottle fairy<br>- Sola<br>- Ranma 1/2<br>- Sumomo mo momo mo<br>- Today in class 5-2<br>- he is my master<br>- Shakugan no shana<br>- Fate stay night<br>- Zero no tsukaima 2 <br>- School days<br>- Mamotte! lollipop<br>- Mushiuta<br>- Hayate no Gotoku<br>- Lovely complex <br>- Lucky star<br>- Sayonara zetsubou sensei<br>- _summer<br>- Code-e<br>- Nagasarete Airantou<br>- Moetan<br>- Kamichama Karin<br>- Seto no Hanayome<br>- Kaibutsu Oujo<br>- Umisho<br>- Mamorukun ni megami no shukufuku wo!<br>- Clannad<br>- Myself; yourself<br>- Kodomo no jikan<br>- Shugo Chara<br>- Goshuushou-sama ninomiya-kun<br>- prism ark<br>- Fate stay night<br>- Shakugan no shana<br>- ef - a tale of memories<br>- rental magic <br>- kimikiss pure rouge<br>- suteki tantei labyrinth<br>- koharubiyori<br>- higurashi no naku koro ni kai<br>- potemayo <br>- nanatsuiro drops<br>- kakurenbo<br>- chocotto sister<br>- trouble chocolate<br>- hanbun no tsuki ga noboru sora<br>- ichigo mashimaro<br>- mushiuta<br>- puni puni poemi<br>- Eiken<br>- Cosplay complex<br>- Touka Gettan<br>- sister princess<br>- kareshi kanojo no jijou<br>- winter garden<br>- sakura diaries<br>- dokuro<br>- nodame cantabile<br>- exosquad<br>- welcome to the n.h.k.<br>- itsudatte my santa

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:06 AM

@noshi: If it had beds it was not the type of minshuku i had in mind. The minshuku's i would recommend are the real japanese style ones. There you have futons and sleep on tatami mats. Also they always have a bath. If you have back problems than indeed you are better of in a hotel to be on the safe side smile.gif .

@warita200: Noshi's idea is very good biggrin.gif . If you want to see cosplayers than going to the Ariake TFT building or Tokyo Internation Exchange center is an idea. Do ask them if they want their picture taken. Just as Noshi mentioned it has to be fun for them as well so asking is always polite.
Try going to Oshino: the village has the 7 springs of mount fuji and almost no foreigner ever goes there or try the earthquake center. You can experience a fake earthquake there.
For a birds eye view of Tokyo: go to the Tokyo Metropolitan Building (free of charge), Tokyo Tower (very crowded and entrance fee) or Roppongi Hills (entrance fee).
The Tokyo university complex is also worth a visit (if you remember Love Hina: Yasuda Hall is in the center of the complex). It is also possible to get a guided tour around Tokyo for a very cheap price (you only pay the public transport tickets) from a student organisation. Some students want to practice English in this way.
Also you can go to Sanrio Puroland (the name says it all), Yomiuri land (an amusement park with pool if you want to swim), Shonan beach, Kujukuri-hama beach, Zushi and Hayama (all beaches).
Onsen: try Oedo Onsen Monogatari in Odaiba. If you want to travel a bit further from Tokyo try Kusatsu Onsen. It is one of the largest onsen in Japan but also very hot!

#48 warita200

warita200

-RETIRED-

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2932 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:12 AM

I might check out zushi. It all depends on how costly it is to get there. I dont really want to buy a 40$ train ticket just one way to go to the beach. I am getting so excited just by thinking of japan, YAY!!!

by the way, for those who are still students and have generous parents, this sounds interesting:
http://worldcampus.org/

It is an exchange program for japan. You can decide to stay between 2-10 weeks. It includes accomodation in a japanese family, traveling expenses, etc

#49 darkness_n_destruction

darkness_n_destruction

-dono

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Interests:Anime!!!! (of most sorts)<br><br>A good sci/thrilles is conpulsary once in a while (ie Jurrasic Park by Crichton or Temple or Hover Car Racer by Matthew Matthew Reilly)<br><br>Can't think of anything else at the moment........<br><br>(hmm btw email is hotmail.com.... doesnt fit......)

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (warita200 @ Apr 22 2010, 05:40 PM)

Me and some friend's are planning to go to Japan from July 14th till 28th. Still got a lot of problems to sort out (mainly cost issues laugh.gif ). Maybe we will see you there? biggrin.gif
Finally got a decent anime list ------> Kuro2 Anime List

#50 Litschii

Litschii

-chi

• Kouhais
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Maanyy

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:20 PM

GOD, I wanna go too!!! Just for buying animes or mangas *lol*

#51 nijlandp

nijlandp

-sama

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2627 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:35 PM

Warita, have fun in Japan smile.gif . And of course darkness_n_destruction you too.
Do let us know how you all liked it smile.gif

#52 darkness_n_destruction

darkness_n_destruction

-dono

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Interests:Anime!!!! (of most sorts)<br><br>A good sci/thrilles is conpulsary once in a while (ie Jurrasic Park by Crichton or Temple or Hover Car Racer by Matthew Matthew Reilly)<br><br>Can't think of anything else at the moment........<br><br>(hmm btw email is hotmail.com.... doesnt fit......)

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (nijlandp @ Jul 04 2010, 09:35 PM)
Warita, have fun in Japan smile.gif . And of course darkness_n_destruction you too.
Do let us know how you all liked it smile.gif

laugh.gif Thankyou, hopefully ill get some photos and ill post them here.

I need some help finding some Evangelion retail shops!!! ph34r.gif I know sure if one exists but I always imagined there would be one! Any EVA related store will proubably do! I promise to take lots of pics if i get there!! wink.gif

Also im still open to suggestion for must visit places. Im going to Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka. Tokyo part is mostly filled but the Kyoto and Osaka bits are still mostly unplanned so any suggestion for places to visit at those places will be very useful. smile.gif

#53 nijlandp

nijlandp

-sama

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2627 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:36 PM

Hmm, you could try Aso Bit City in Akihabara otherwise try a bit further down the main street on the right from Akihabara station. The store is called Animate.
Otherwise just try the shops along the route.
Kyoto: of course the Kiyumizadera temple or go to Gyon in the evening to see geisha's. Try visiting the golden pavilion and the Kyoto handicraft center if you want to get some real japanese things (for example the swords are real...and incredibly expensive). Try the philosiphers path if you want a little walk. Kyoto station is also something to see (you can also visit the mall beneath the station). For the rest Kyoto is mainly fixed on temples (you can try the 1000 buddha's temple). For a beautifull view of Kyoto you also visit Kyoto tower. The main entrance is inside the hotel facing Kyoto station. Try eating on the south side of the station: the small restaurants are very good. Also try visiting the buddha in Nara (near Kyoto). It is the biggest one in Japan (watch the deer in the parc. They are very pushy.)
I can't help you with Osaka. I haven't been there.

#54 nijlandp

nijlandp

-sama

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2627 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

I forgot to mention the Kyoto International Manga museum near the imperial palace biggrin.gif . To get there go to Karasuma (just walk north from the train station). From there just keep walking along the road. it is near Karasuma Oike if you don't want to walk smile.gif.

QUOTE (darkness_n_destruction @ Jul 09 2010, 05:46 PM)
QUOTE (nijlandp @ Jul 04 2010, 09:35 PM) Warita, have fun in Japan  . And of course darkness_n_destruction you too.
Do let us know how you all liked it   
  Thankyou, hopefully ill get some photos and ill post them here.

I need some help finding some Evangelion retail shops!!!    I know sure if one exists but I always imagined there would be one! Any EVA related store will proubably do! I promise to take lots of pics if i get there!! 

You're not allowed to take pictures inside the shops smile.gif . O, if you like EVA a lot look for the pachinko parlor around Akihabara....it is one big advertisement. Do look inside if you want. You have to hear the noise of the thousands of metals balls falling down to believe the racket that there is inside.

#55 Noshi

Noshi

-sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2214 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

@darkness_n_destruction if only you could go see the life-size EVA-01 project going on http://cdjapan2010.l...l.com/1029.html

#56 nijlandp

nijlandp

-sama

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2627 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:53 PM

ohmy.gif That is one big surprise. An excellent suggestion, Noshi smile.gif . For all who go to Japan: go to Fuji-Q if you have time. If you like rollercoasters you sure will like them. I sure did smile.gif .

#57 darkness_n_destruction

darkness_n_destruction

-dono

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:15 AM

QUOTE (Noshi @ Jul 12 2010, 08:18 PM)
@darkness_n_destruction if only you could go see the life-size EVA-01 project going on http://cdjapan2010.l...l.com/1029.html

Nice suggestion laugh.gif I'm not much a fan of roller coaster and thrill rides but i would go just to see the EVA.

@nijlandp
ph34r.gif I didn't realize you couldn't take pictures inside shops.... Thanks for the heads up wink.gif Maybe ill try to sneak a picture or two on my camera phone while pretending to make a phone call laugh.gif

We will definitely be going to the manga museum, probably one of the reasons why we will be in Kyoto. smile.gif

#58 franzoir

franzoir

-the smooth, the suave, and the shrewd

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1610 posts
  • Interests:Politics

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

Right im back. Been travelling East and South East Asia for 2 months. All in all i went to China, Hong Kong, Japan, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Indonesia.

I can say the trip was complete madness. I was glad to be back in Japan because it feels like my home away from home. Finally got to see mount fuji which was amazing and by far Japanese are up there in good hospitality levels with Cambodia as well.

However, since i went to Japan very early on in the trip, my image of Japan has been tarnish in comparison to other South East Asian nations. I have come to realised although rurally Japan is still very beautiful, most of its appeal now lies in its technological wonders. There is something soul pleasing about seeing raw beauty in places like Vietnam's Hai Long Bay and Volcano Kintamani in Bali. Spiritually and visually it offered much more then Japan could.

Koh pang yang in Thailand is a beast. I picked up some killer injuries there which will take a month to heal. Full moon party was awesome, though i have a four-five hour memory blank.

All in all, i was glad to be back in Japan but to also explore the rest of Asia.

Next Year im going South America. A little more hardcore backpacking then Asia.
user posted image

Summertime has come and gone...all used up with wishful thinking

#59 greginboots

greginboots

-chi

• Kouhais
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:49 PM

Consider bouncing out to Europe or England for a change of pace. I'm over in the UK now and its pretty nice overall. Expensive though (man I always pick the expensive places!).

Where did you manage to go in China? I swung through Beijing for a few days and although I enjoyed the temples and the wall, and even the nightclubs were suprisingly lively.
See you space cowboy...

#60 nijlandp

nijlandp

-sama

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2627 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:18 AM

I hope that you all had a good time in Japan. Now i'm getting ready to go. In about 7 hours i'm off. Just to give an idea where i'm going: Tokyo, Nikko, Ashinoyu, Oshino, Shuzenji, Ise, mount Koya, Nara, Kyoto and Osaka.
It can change though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users