• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 deathafterkarma

deathafterkarma

-chi

• Kouhais
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Anything computer, video game, and anime related...<br>Message me on aim if you want to know more..

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by: iamtetsuo

You've got an macbook, you've got a mac pro tower, you've got an iPod too even, but how in the world do you watch all this wonderful anime?! Don't worry just because you think different doesn't mean you can't watch anime too!
First off you will need to make sure you have OS X, at least 10.2.8 You will NOT be able to watch most files in OS 9. Come on OS X has been out for years it's time to upgrade. Next you need to make sure that you have the latest version of Quicktime (at the time of this writing 7.4.1) Next you will need to download VLC and Mplayer OS X.

VLC: available for download here:VLC
VLC can play almost any file you throw at it. VLC is best for playing .avi and .mp4 files. VLC isn't very good with soft subbed files (most often these are .mkv files, but not always). While VLC can display softsubs, it has the annoying problem of overlapping simultaneous subtitles (such as when one character is talking in the background and one is talking in the foreground). Instead of putting one on top of the other, both are displayed at the same spot on the screen. If you still want to watch a softsubbed file with VLC in order to enable subtitles you have to select the subtitle track from the video menu while the file is playing. But I would suggest using Mplayer for soft sub files.

Mplayer OS X: For all of your soft sub playback needs!
A group of people over at animesuki created a special version of Mplayer. It is the player I use.
You can get it here!
There version will work with both Intel and PowerPC based Macs. Please note this version under OS 10.4 requires X11 to be installed (more on that below). Please follow all the instructions in the read me on how to install this version of Mplayer properly.
If you don't like the animesuki build of Mplayer. You can get Offical builds here

Before you install Mplayer on OS 10.4.x you need to install X11, available on your OS X Tiger install disc or here: http://www.apple.com....formacosx.html.Make sure to download the 1.1.3 update available from software update or here: 1.1.3 update

For those of you running Mac OS X Leopard (OS 10.5) X11 is not necessary.

Now that you've installed X11 you can go ahead and install Mplayer. If you are using the Animesuki version of Mplayer, in order to enable softsub support please follow these instructions: Open the preferences panel. Under General select "none" as the subtitle font. Now click on the Miscellaneous tab and find the additional panels box and paste in the following:

-ass -embeddedfonts -fontconfig

If you are using a different build of Mplayer: open preferences under font select a true type font (I selected Gulim, to figure out what fonts you have that are truetype open fonts in your system library and look for fonts with the extension .ttf) Next select ISO-8859-1 for default encoding. If your computer is a couple of years old I would also enable "drop frames on slower machines" under Video and Audio. Now you are ready to play files.

To watch a .mkv file with softsubs do the following: press the "v" key to enable or disable subtitles during playback. Next press "j" to select the proper subtitle file if you are using Andiyar's version, otherwise press "b". Command/Apple F or just F (depending on what version of Mplayer you have) enables full screen viewing.
Also If you have Dual audio Videos you can switch between audio with "shift+3" on the fly.

WARNING! Don't use the version of Mplayer (also called MPlayerOSX2) from Sourceforge! That is an old broken version that is no longer being updated as far as I can tell. Avoid it like the plague.

Quicktime
If you would prefer to use Quicktime player you can use the Perian Quicktime Component which adds support for .mkv's and softsubs. It is available here:Perian

Hope this helps to all those using macs..

Also like to thank Animesuki board and iamtetsuo for this tutorial..
You can view the original post: HERE

Again I am just reposting what I have found at animesuki and I am sharing my knowledge..

Enjoy!

Edited by Nahrallah, 10 July 2008 - 05:15 AM.

user posted image
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
user posted image

#2 deathafterkarma

deathafterkarma

-chi

• Kouhais
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Anything computer, video game, and anime related...<br>Message me on aim if you want to know more..

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:43 AM

For those Looking to add support for mkv files in Quicklook you can find it:
Here

I still trying to find a way so that the finder generates a thumbnail for mkv's
Like it does with avi or mp4 files.*sighs*

Also.. Can I get a sticky on this thread?

user posted image
user posted image

#3 shinigamii

shinigamii

-geass prince~

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts
  • Interests:Anime why else would i be here?<br><br>hmm my interests... some are R rated for Randomness... Main interest C.C. yes i know shes an anime character... i dont care to be honest shes my C.C. and thats all there is... so what else does a creature like myself do.... i dont know either. o_O if you have any information please contact... forgot who to contact.<br><br>Random help line... i forgot that too. <br><br>Something i will never forget is how i claim C.C. as my wife. Someone else may have claimed her aswell but she's truly mines XD.<br><br>Why am i writing this.....

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:52 PM

This is in the wrong section as its a tutorial. Ill see what a MOD thinks as i don't have the power to move it to there.

user posted image
Visit my city and see the shinigamii realm.shiniville

Check out my Random Blog.

user posted image
user posted image

<Trivia> Hint: The Pe**o* *u** *o* Me
<@KansaLovePrimula> can i buy a vowel
Jun: lol sometimes you really need a kansa-english, english-kansa dictionary

#4 dchaosblade

dchaosblade

- Lord of Chaos

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2992 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list, but to get a start on it: quotes, reading, writing, anime, games, computers, &amp;c.

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:17 PM

I don't really think this should be in the tutorials section, it's a troubleshoot/support. It's a tutorial on how to make a mac play files - which is a complaint that crops up every now and then. It's not a tutorial about art in any form (as in the creation of); as such it shouldn't really be in the Tokyo Art Dome...
This section is for tutorials on how to make/edit movies, pictures, etc - not on how to make things work with the exception of art programs.

@deathafterkarma: Thanks for the post, the info is very useful. About the thumbnail pictures for mkv files: Windows doesn't even display the thumbnail for the file and as far as I'm aware there is no addon that changes the thumbnail. That said, I doubt macs will have the thumbnails either.
Don't forget, the edit and search buttons are your friend!
user posted image

#5 langes01x

langes01x

-dono

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Besides anime and the occasional manga I like fantasy and sci-fi books, computer games (particularly RPG and RTS) and programming.

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:05 PM

Slight correction: Windows may not allow thumbnails of MKVs but Haali's media splitter does allow for it (given you are running 32bit windows)

Good post for new mac users that don't know anything about being on a mac. A simple google search would have probably produced the same information though. tongue.gif

#6 deathafterkarma

deathafterkarma

-chi

• Kouhais
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:22 PM

-Thumbnails for mkv on windows-(for people that want this in windows)
Open notepad. copy and paste this text into it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mkv\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590}"

Save this file as all file types and with the extension .reg
ex: mkv.reg

Open the saved file now and add it to registry. In Windows Explorer check the option to view as thumbnails. Now you can get thumbnail views of all your favourite episodes

-thats why I originally had it in the troubleshoot/support forums but one of the mods moved it here-

user posted image
user posted image

#7 Primula

Primula

-プリムラ こいびと

• Fansub TV Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1937 posts
  • Interests:Anime, loli(lol), origami, game, drawing expecailly anime girl, computers, etc... making animated sig
    Girls in anime characteristic that I usually like. Kuudere, Tsundere,& certain unique type

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:58 PM

someone told me it was in the wrong sec so i i just move it without thinking >.< =P

Come check out the Gif Thread

Ecchi Pic 1 Torrent...Torrent Link Ecchi Pic 2 TORRENT!! Torrent Link Ecchi Pic 1-3 YEAH!!!

#8 dchaosblade

dchaosblade

- Lord of Chaos

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2992 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list, but to get a start on it: quotes, reading, writing, anime, games, computers, &amp;c.

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:57 AM

Thanks Kansa for moving the thread.

Also thanks to the assistance regarding making mkv files have thumbnails; I'll put it to test momentarily.
Don't forget, the edit and search buttons are your friend!
user posted image

#9 deathafterkarma

deathafterkarma

-chi

• Kouhais
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:55 AM

Well I'm sorry the last one didn't worked..

I found a better one for windows users.. this is Directly off the CCCP web site.
Remember to back your registry before doing anything For that "just in case accident"
Matroska Shell Integration
This is the thumbnail Registry File from the CCCP site
Haali.Thumbnail.Entries.reg
I'm testing this all out in xp Right now. laugh.gif
also
From what I've read vista has had some troubles with this..
Vista Users:Plz use caution blink.gif

user posted image
user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users