Spring Season 2014 Line-Up

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~
Staff member
Leader Council
Version 1.0 (more TBA)
QUOTE (Barbobot @ Jan 11 2014, 11:52 AM)I finally went and got myself a Crunchyroll subscription. So much to watch and so easy to stream it all, even though aside from Space Dandy and Silver Spoon 2 I haven't really found anything that really stands out.  There are a few other good shows, but just none that really stand above the rest.
QUOTE (Norren @ Jan 12 2014, 11:59 PM)I'll update my watch list now that the season has startedtoday premiered the last series of winter (except this 11th Precure season ¬¬), i'll try 2nd episodes of a few and choose another anime to replace Sailor Moon...

so far my list of series to watch weekly since last season in order of preference:
1. Hajime no Ippo: Rising
2. Log Horizon
3. Golden Time
4. Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta
5. Nobunaga the Fool
6. Kill la Kill
7. Space Dandy
8. Saikin, Imouto no Yousu ga Chotto Okashi
9. Samurai Flamenco
10. Pupa
* honorable guilty pleasure mention: Toei Robot Girls Z (maybe it's on hiatus)
sad.gif

Mahouka koukou no rettousei and Hitsugihime no Chaika!
biggrin.gif

I've been waiting to see Mahouka koukou no Rettousei get an anime for a while.
biggrin.gif

This season suddenly became just a setback for next season.

Is there some reason we're not getting Gin no Saji S2 tickers?

I thought it had been offset until the end of something until I noticed it while grabbing this week's Toaru Hikuushi.

QUOTE (ImTakes @ Feb 07 2014, 05:47 AM) Blade and Soul...looking forward to what I hope will be a good fantasy series.
wink.gif
Thing is though...with Gonzo behind it...they may focus more on the T and A aspect of the female character designs rather than the possibility of a solid adventure fantasy type story...all remains to be seen.
wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODD790bO2VU

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=848073

Update...(02/07/14) the attached picture says it all folks.
wink.gif

58815_zps44416499.jpg

I haven't watched an ecchi anime in a long time and judging from that pic, it's gonna be ecchi and than some. However, it's strange that an MMORPG is getting an anime, I reckon it'll be like a Tales anime.
cool.gif

Update: Version 2.0
just found a couple of films released on theaters last fall, it's been a while since i watched a good enough game adaptation and CGI remake from a 70s classic...

Bayonetta: Bloody Fate (ベヨネッタ ブラッディフェイト): Bayonetta takes place in Vigrid, a fictional city in Europe. The title character (voiced by Atsuko Tanaka) is a witch who shapeshifts and uses various firearms, along with magical attacks she performs with her own hair by summoning demons to dispatch her foes. She awakens after a 500-year sleep and finds herself in an unfamiliar area with no memories of who or what she is. Over time, she begins to remember what caused her current predicament. 500 years before the incident that caused Bayonetta's memory loss, there were two factions preserving the balance between darkness and light in the world: the Umbra Witches, who are followers of darkness, and their counterparts, the Lumen Sages, who are followers of light. The factions shared two distinct treasures, the 'Eyes of the World' (separately named the 'Left Eye' and the 'Right Eye') which they used to oversee the just passage of time. Both factions mysteriously disappeared from Vigrid under unknown circumstances. Bayonetta still has an ornate piece of jewelry which contains a small red gem, and believes this gem is the Left Eye of the Eyes of the World. While searching for the Right Eye, she often receives flashbacks that make her remember what caused her current predicament.

Space Pirate Captain Harlock (宇宙海賊キャプテンハーロック): In the future, mankind has discovered a way to travel faster than light and has built colonies on thousands of planets. But even the resources of the universe are starting to dwindle, so five hundred billion humans begin the long journey back home. The desire to repopulate Earth starts the so-called Coming Home War, until the universal government of the Gaia Coalition declares Earth a sacred, and thus inaccessible, place. In this dying universe, the space pirate Captain Harlock travels with his immensely powerful flagship, the Arcadia, to fulfill a mysterious purpose. The young Yama, brother of the Fleet Commander Ezra, is chosen to infiltrate the Arcadia's crew and discover the objective of the pirate captain. Captain Harlock rebelled against the Allied Forces and has been plundering space ships for one hundred years. Why did he rebel? How does he survive for one hundred years? With awe and fear of the legendary captain, the Allied Forces issues an order to assassinate Harlock.

This... This update...
ohmy.gif

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Seikoku no Dragonar, Gokukoku no Brynhldr, Soredemo Sekai wa utsukushii, Hitsugi no Chaika... most of these would have me excited by themselves.
ohmy.gif

Then I saw Ishuukan Friends...
laugh.gif

These tears, they have already been shed. *manly squee*

So yeah, highlights.

Ishuukan Friends: Heartwarming friendship story. Probably going to be the main highlight of the season for me.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: One of the kings of the light novel field. Interesting story about magic, the highschool angle isn't played up much in the book, expecting it to get overplayed in the anime. Interesting in that the story isn't so much just about "highschoolers with magic" as it is "The societal ramifications of magic," "the industrialization of magic," and "the militarization of magic." The characterization is also good and diverse.

Interesting:
Hitsugi no Chaika: Kind of an odd, seven years ago last week medieval RPG fantasy story where the timeline doesn't make sense but everything else is neat.

Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii: I enjoy the Manga for this one. It doesn't really stand out that amazingly, but the art is pleasant and the characterization is interesting.

Could be good, could be bad:
Seikoku no Dragonar: Finally, I will get to figure out what happened in that one chapter noone bothered translating. I don't even remember the rest of the book or what chapter it was, just that two different groups and the manga adaptation skipped that one chapter.

Gokukoku no Brynhldr: Kind of an odd, interesting psychological Thriller. I keep waiting to see how all the different elements tie together, but the grand mystery of the story just hasn't been unveiled yet. I can't honestly say I like this one, but I want to see how it all concludes. It's from the same person that did Elfen Lied, which.. sort of had the same "how's this all end?" mess to its story. Expecting horrific adaption decay here.

Wow. this is turning out to be a rather dull looking season.
mellow.gif

Puchimas will be a must watch for me but as for anything else I'll have to preview pretty much everything to see what jumps out.

Soul Eater Not and Mekaku City Actors are maybes but not strong maybes.
dry.gif

Spring 2014 PV Compilation (Edit: removed by youtube)
QUOTE (Norren @ Jan 16 2014, 05:11 AM)This season suddenly became just a setback for next season.
QUOTE (Shinobu's_Lover @ Mar 03 2014, 11:45 AM)Wow. this is turning out to be a rather dull looking season.in my case i'm neutral so far now that i watched the Spring PV list but i'm more excited for Summer-Fall series like SAO II, F/KLPI 2wei and Ufotable's F/SN yet not much in Sailor Moon Crystal ONAs (web episodes >.<) after many delays...

- my must see: 1. JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Stardust Crusaders (+UURYY) xD
2. Monogatari Series Second Season: Hanamonogatari (finally Suruga Devil) ^^
- hopefully better than the previous season: 3. Puchimas!! Petit Petit Idolm@ster
4. Broken Blade (more than a remastered TV series from Break Blade films?) -.-
- could be good telling by its studio: 5. Mahou Shoujo Taisen (Gainax madness!)
6. Blade and Soul (lets see if Gonzo make it well like they did with Bayonetta) :/
- not expecting much: 7. Disk Wars Avengers (new Marvel anime ala pokemon)
8. Dragon Ball Kai: Majin Boo-hen (abridged HD eps like Frieza and Cell's arc) ;(

- OVAs/films from high to low expectation: 1. Shingeki no Kyojin: 104th Gunren
2. Sora no Otoshimono Final: Eien no Watashi no Torikago (didn't expect it) o_O
3. Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shuushoku o Ketsui Shimashita :3
4. Kikou Shoujo wa Kizutsukanai OVAs (hopefully a new arc instead of specials)
5. Kimi no Iru Machi OVA #? (wasn't it announced for this winter?) ¬¬
6. Puchimas!! Petit Petit Idolm@ster OVA (more super deformed chibi extras) ;p
7. Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai OVAs (world arc or only ecchi wrestling?)
sleep.gif

So... does this mean I'm getting a repreve for shows this season and having more time to read and play my VN and other games now?
unsure.gif

Hmmm, not that much of anything interesting, yet again.

Will Watch:
1) Sidonia no Kishi - YES YES YES. Been waiting for this for YEARS. Let's hope this delivers. Could possibly be best show this year if handled correctly and faithfully.
2) Gokukoku no Brimhildr, sounds and looks decent and sufficiently dark, despite generic art style and generic childhood friends backstories.

Maybe:
1) Captain Earth - the generic mecha action of the season. Might be fun if there's nothing else to watch.
2) Black Bullet - Pros? Dystopian setting and decent OST. Cons? generic-y character design and shonen-action vibes..

Will Avoid:
1) Mahouka - oh gods the cliches - childhood friends, highschool romances, incesty siblings, cliched art style, submissive female characters blushing 99% of the screentime, blah blah blah. Its...not a good sign when you can't even finish watching the PV.

Version 3.0
QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Mar 25 2014, 12:41 AM)So... does this mean I'm getting a repreve for shows this season and having more time to read and play
QUOTE (Anybody @ Mar 25 2014, 01:55 AM)1) Mahouka - oh gods the cliches - childhood friends, highschool romances, incesty siblings, cliched art style, submissive female characters blushing 99% of the screentime, blah blah blah. Its...not a good sign when you can't even finish watching the PV.actually many of those characteristics describe the new series 'Kanojo ga Flag o Oraretara' just pre-aired, about a guy who can see flags (like in VNs and dating sims but literally) over the head of people... by curiousity i tried (is 3/4 of ep'1) and the funniest part I saw is a cliffhanger's fansub note, 'well ain't that a co**-tease? damn previews' xD so i wouldn't be surprised if Mahouka isn't this bad
tongue.gif

sweet, not only are there new seasons for great anime like JoJo and Monogatari all on the same season, but there are a lot of unexpected mangas that were longtime favorites of mine getting a first season, and as if that wasnt epic enough we are getting the railgun ova and captain harlock's movie just as promised (man i was waiting for those)

Too bad theres no news yet (that i know of) about any plans for making a new To Aru season, im having satisfy my hunger with the light novels, not that they are anything but great.

Also kudos for Mangaka-san to Asistant

QUOTE (Klyern @ Mar 31 2014, 09:27 PM) Too bad theres no news yet (that i know of) about any plans for making a new To Aru season, im having satisfy my hunger with the light novels, not that they are anything but great.

There's supposed to be some big announcement regarding the Index series on April 10th, so we'll have to wait and see what that is.

Oh wait Jojo comes out this season. I know that's on my list, aside from the PuchiM@s short. That and I forgot that Fairy Tail continues this season too. Other then that just a few series that I might take a crack at, just ot be fair, but not that many stick out.

Also, on that current list I was to say those two dragon card anime series look almost the same there.
tongue.gif

Is it fall yet?

See you guys later because there is nothing interesting in the spring lineup.

QUOTE (franzoir @ Apr 06 2014, 05:26 PM) Is it fall yet?

See you guys later because there is nothing interesting in the spring lineup.
More or less true so far. There are a few that look like they may be good, but nothing that is screaming must watch. Unless you were already a fan of Fairy Tail, JoJo or Mushi-shi since their sequels are out.

I just watched the first 2 episodes of Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou, I was greatly surprised at how much I enjoyed those episodes. It reminded me of some J-Doramas I watched in the past as well as Love Hina and Kuragehime. I absolutely loved the show. I'm hoping Necro makes a thread for it.

I'm not gonna bother ranking them at this point, but there are some with promise.

The World if Still Beautiful
Ping Pong
Love Live Season 2
One Week Friends
Chiaka
Nanana's Buried Treasure
Mahouka

Are the one's I generally look forward to the most.

Blade and Soul
Captain Earth
Black Bullet
Soul Eater Not
No Game No Life
Mekaku City Actors

Are ok so far

Haven't watched any of Brynhildr so far, only watched 1 episode of Knights of Sidonia and M3, and I haven't finished the first Jojo series so not gonna start Stardust Crusaders yet.

Dai-Shogun is notable for just how terrible the first episode is. That was the least amount of animation I think i've ever seen in an "animated" TV episode.

I'm not going to give them a number but so far:

From top favorite to bottom least favorite (and currently following).

Fairy Tail
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
No Game, No life
Escha & Logy no Atelier
Nisekoi (Don't see on list but is still airing)
Ryugajo Nanana no Maizokin
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desku ka?
Isshuukan Friends
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Nobunaga the Fool (Don't see on list but is still airing)
Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii
Black Bullet
Hitsugi No Chaika

Series that I have checked but gave up on or still follow on Wiki:
Akuma no Riddle
Gokukoku no Brynhildr
Seikoku no Dragonar
Kamigami no Asobi
Kanojo ga Flag oraretara
Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to
Date a Life S2
M3

Others:
Haven't even bothered to check them out, but personally not my taste..

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back