Help, Cannot view ASS files anymore

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gabam_*

Guest_gabam_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:19 PM

Hi, can someone please help me?

For 4 years I had NO problems viewing either .srt or .ass subtitles with the appropriate raws. However I had to wipe my C: drive recently, and now, I CANNOT VIEW .ASS files anymore.

I tried to put everything back that I thought I had installed before.

I have the latest DirectVobSUb installed.
I also have the latest FFDSHOW installed.
These are the same ".ass" files that did work before just fine. But now when I click on the video to play it, DirectVobSub doesn't come on (like it doesn't recognize that it should with ASS files, though it still works fine with SRT).

I tried both windows media player, and TMPEGE (what I use for rendering into MPEG2). Both of these programs used to be able to work just fine with ASS files before. Now, neither does.

I do NOT want to install a million other codec packages like CCCP because as far as I know, I never did before. I used FFDSHOW just like I'm doing now. Likewise with programs and viewers, for 4 years I used windows media player to view and TMPEGE to render, and both worked fine for 4 years. Now they don't work in recognizing ASS files. And lastly, it's not the ASS files themselves; the same exact ones worked fine before. I don't want to convert them to SRT because it's a pain and you lose all the colors, placement, etc that you can get with ASS. It SHOULD be working, and I don't understand why.

It's like DirectVobSub just doesn't "realize" or "recognize" that it should turn itself on and recognize ASS as a subtitle file, the way it does for SRT.

How can I view ASS files again? After putting everything back on my C: drive, this is the only thing that doesn't work anymore -- but it's a major problem because a lot of stuff I want to watch is ASS.

Please help, someone! Thank you!!! sad.gif

#2 Kit-Tsukasa

Kit-Tsukasa

-desu

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10929 posts
  • Interests:Watching anime since childhood.
    I wait for quality releases. Need recommendations? Just ask.

Lurked Fansub TV since November 2004
    Joined Fansub TV Forums in December 2005
    Sempai in June 2006
    Fansub TV Team in October 2006
    10000th post in July 2011
    Fansub TV Leader in January 2011

Interested in revitalizing Fansub TV Forums. Support requested.

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:47 PM

have you tried tweaking with the settings of DirectVobSub to make sure subtitles to be enable upon recognition?
A temporary solution you may want to try is to load the subtitles manually with the video. (i.e. via file --> open whatever)
If neither works, you may want to install MPC or VLC since MPC usually detects the subs if you have VSfilter properly enabled. VLC may require you to load subs manually.

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:50 AM

Hi, thanks for your help.
In the end, I was able to get it to work simply by going in and, for each ASS file, adding an ".ASS" at the end of each one.

That did it. Now DirVObSub recognizes it. But funny, I never had to do that before (it just knew it should turn itself on if the subtitle file was the same as the video file. Like with SRT files... I don't have to go in and add "SRT" to each file. But it seems I have to do that for ASS files now for some reason. Just go in and add .ASS to the end of each ASS file. But at least it works after doing that).

So anyway, thanks.

But if anyone knows why I have to do that (add an .ASS for each ASS file, where I never had to do it before, and don't have to do it with SRT files), I'd be curious.

But as I said at least it's working now.

#4 Kit-Tsukasa

Kit-Tsukasa

-desu

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10929 posts
  • Interests:Watching anime since childhood.
    I wait for quality releases. Need recommendations? Just ask.

Lurked Fansub TV since November 2004
    Joined Fansub TV Forums in December 2005
    Sempai in June 2006
    Fansub TV Team in October 2006
    10000th post in July 2011
    Fansub TV Leader in January 2011

Interested in revitalizing Fansub TV Forums. Support requested.

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:38 AM

well it seems problem is solved for now. If you have any further concerns, simply pm a mod to reopen the thread or create a new one stating your new problem.

--Thread Closed--

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users