Match the Song

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

dchaosblade

- Lord of Chaos
Retired
Okay, this is an idea I had earlier today, so I spent some time setting it up but I do not know how things will work out. For now, I'm going to say that the game is doing a test run, any ideas or suggestions are more than welcome. That said, here's how the game will work (for now):

The idea: This is similar to the Guess the Anime game, except instead of using pictures, we use song(s). A song will be given, the players listen to the song, and then guess what anime the song is from. I will try my hardest during the test phase to make sure to post songs which are only used in one anime...

When you think you know the answer, do NOT post your answer in the thread! All you need to post in the thread is a quick post saying that you have a guess - and any comments you may have. Then, PM me your answer. Each user who guesses right will get a point - I will keep track of users points and state them after each song.

Each song will stay up for roughly 48 hours before I will post the current scores as well as a link to the next song. The first person to make a correct guess will have the opportunity to suggest the next song. When/if you do this, you will get a PM with all the necessary details. If you suggest a song, you may not guess the next round; but you may turn down the opportunity if you want.

The rules:
  • Do NOT post your actual guess in the thread! Only post that you have a guess.
  • Player must make a post saying they have a guess.
  • Player must PM me their guess, using the title "Guess" as the PM title
  • Only one guess per round!
  • If a player posts the actual guess in the thread, they will not get credit for the guess and depending on how early I catch it the round may end early (no one will get points in this scenario).
  • I reserve the right to modify/add any rules at any time. I will make a post notifying everyone if a rule is added or changed.
Rules for Song Suggestion:
You have the opportunity to suggest the song for next round. You may choose any song (so long as it is either on gendou or you can provide a link to where I can download it) that was used in an anime.
Please provide the anime it originates from and what part it's from (e.g. OP, ED, or insert) as well, and if you'd like you can provide what segment of the song to be used as the clip for the game. If you provide the segment, make sure it is a segment that was played in the anime (so don't give a segment from the full version that doesn't play in the tv-sized version).
When given this opportunity, you will have until 1 hour BEFORE the current round ends/next round begins to make your suggestion. If you do not wish to provide a suggestion, please notify me as soon as possible so I can make alternative plans.
Be aware, if you make a suggestion, you obviously cannot make a guess in the next round!

Edits: The first person to make a correct guess will have the opportunity to suggest the next song. When/if you do this, you will get a PM with all the necessary details. If you suggest a song, you may not guess the next round; but you may turn down the opportunity if you want.
Round length has been changed to 48 hours
Made another change. From now on, you can see the current score at the following URL: Current Scores
The page will be updated at the end of every round. That having been said, I will no longer post the current scores at the end/beginning of the round, I'll just refer the link.
Added the rules for Song Suggestions. If you are the first to make a correct guess, you will receive a PM asking if you would like to suggest a song. Refer to the rules above to know what you can suggest.

Here's the first song! I'm going to try to start with easier songs from recent/popular animes...

Good luck!

Make sure you read the entire first post before you guess!!!

lmao I saw the original post Emi made

This thread's gonna look like spam to those who don't read the first post since it'll be full of "I have a guess" posts. lol I'll pm you my answer in case this game kicks off because I want those points. :p

QUOTE (Emi-chan @ Oct 01 2009, 11:43 PM) Emi has guessed. o_o
Still slightly confused but I think I'm getting it. >_o
Basically, we can't really use the same setup we have for the Guess the Anime thread because we use music instead of pictures, and it's generally more difficult to get music up to listen to. Fortunately, I have my own webspace that I can use...

The way it works is:
1) I post up a song
2) You listen to the song
3) If you know the song, make a post saying that you are making a guess.
4) PM me your guess
5) Wait for a reply from me saying I have received your guess and your current (updated) score.

After 24 hours, I will state the current score for all players and will put up a new song.

I do not want people posting the actual guess in the thread cause then everyone knows...and there's no point to having points.
I do want people to post that they have a guess though so that everyone knows so that they can more easily keep track if they so desire.
Without an easy (e.g. not breaking terms of service, no need to create a profile, etc) way to distribute songs via streaming, this is the best way I can think of atm.

I've made a guess. One thing though, maybe it would be better to use a 30 second sample instead of the entire song. Just a thought.

Khael makes a guess.

QUOTE (doomsayer @ Oct 02 2009, 12:26 AM) I've made a guess. One thing though, maybe it would be better to use a 30 second sample instead of the entire song. Just a thought.
Yeah, I was thinking something along the same lines, the next song will be a much shorter sample. That way it wont affect people as much with bandwidth caps or low internet speeds.

I probably should have started AFTER this weekend too, since a lot of users (particularly those in college/university) are on fall break and are probably out of town or such and wont be on much... Oh well

Next song will go up in about 8 hours! So far we only have four participants~ T_T

Guess submitted. I do have to say that this might be a bit ambitious as you may be unable to do this continuously if you become busy or have to go somewhere. It may be better to extend the guessing time to a couple days or even a week.

Also agree with a shorter clip though it is nice to be able to hear the whole song. Having the whole song also makes it easier to guess.

As I said, for the moment this is just a trial run. I'll probably make adjustments after a few rounds - once I know what to expect. I may make a way so that it works more like the Guess the Anime thread, where the winner will be able to upload their own song themselves on my server. That way I'll not have to be checking it all the time. We'll have to see how things go.

Okay, first round is closed~
Current scores (only those who got points listed):
Emi-chan: 1
ChronoLegend: 1
doomsayer: 1
langes01x: 1

The correct answer:
Song title: Lion
Anime: Macross Frontier

Next song will be up within 30 minutes (hopefully) - I'll edit this post when it is.

Next song is up! Good luck everyone!
Same link as before:
Good luck!

Emi has guessed. It's a little harder with a smaller clip but if you make them too short it might become too easy, if you get my drift... or maybe it's just me. >_>;

I tried to make it short and to include the (IMO) most important 'give-away' part. As I said, I'm gonna start them off relatively easy. Don't worry, the next clip will be harder =P

Khael answers, not a guess, THE answer. Yeah it's pretty easy especially if you've already checked out the show. I don't remember whether i watched Macross or just checked it out. Probably didn't though.

This round will end in 30 minutes. Last chance to make your guesses! In 30 minutes, the song will be taken down and replaced with the next one (which will likely be more difficult for most of you).

I'll edit this post when I change if no one else makes a guess, otherwise I'll make a new post.

Okay, any guesses after this point are invalid, the song is being replaced right now. I will edit this post once the new song is up.

-------------------------------------

Okay, first of all, the current scores:
Emi-chan: 2
langes01x: 2
ChronoLegend: 1
doomsayer: 1
khael: 1
nomae: 1

The Correct Answer:
Song title: Aozora loop
Anime: Kimikiss Pure Rouge

Next song is up! Good luck everyone!
Same link as before:
Good luck!

I decided to do another (relatively) easy one, and save the more difficult one for Monday when we tend to have more activity on the forums. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to download several songs because most everything I have is full-sized instead of tv-sized, and I don't want to use something that never actually played in the respective anime xD

I made a guess. pretty confident with my music recog ability
tongue.gif

btw- do we only need to give the anime name only or the title too?

QUOTE (aquaspirit39 @ Oct 03 2009, 11:20 PM) I made a guess. pretty confident with my music recog ability
tongue.gif

btw- do we only need to give the anime name only or the title too?
All that you need to provide is the anime name, however, feel free to show off and name the title too. I'll be adequately impressed.
If you decide to name both the song and the anime and you are right on the anime but not the song, you will still be given credit for a correct guess. However, if you guess the anime incorrectly (even if the song title is correct) you will not get credit - unless you can prove that the song was also from the [incorrectly] guessed anime.

Made an answer~
I suppose it's hard to put in a just a guess when it comes to music but when it comes to pictures of random things it's much easier to guess right at that moment.

This is much harder, I forgot about it for a bit. >_<;

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back